LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Dreamfields Pasta - Is it any better?

I had noticed a lot of LC people use Dreamfields pasta. So I went to the internet to look up info on it and found a site stating "Dreamfields has been poisoning diabetics one portion (or more likely two) at a time for nearly 10 years.". The article has me concerned over advertised LC products. Does anyone know about this site or of any other advertised LC products that really are not? I will definitely do more research prior to adding in carbs.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
There's currently a class action lawsuit against Dreamfields for lying on their label. There are a few companies that I know of who have lied on their labels claiming they were low carb when they weren't. I found out the hard way; I bought these products in the past and couldn't understand why my blood sugar would spike after eating them if they were low carb. I'm not diabetic, but I'm very carb sensitive; my A1c was in the prediabetic range and by low carbing I've been able to get it down to the normal range. The companies that claimed to be low carb but weren't are EatRite frozen pizza, Carb Crunchers bagels and Julian breads. I finally found a truly low carb good tasting bread and bagel company called ThinSlim. Their "love the taste" products are very good (but their "love the waist" which is their original line leave much to be desired taste wise). Healthwise also makes truly low carb products. That website you list is legit; the woman who runs it appeared on FOX TV in NYC when they proved the EatRite frozen pizza company lied on their label. When it comes to products claiming to be low carb, you need to be cautious, especially smaller not well known manufacturers.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 11-13-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Added to the post
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

That is my concern.. I am prediabetic and currently I am only doing Induction foods, but eventually I want to be able to expand my menu... so wth...how do we know what we can really eat and what we can't without testing ourselves as the guinea pig?

That site had me a little worried though as well...cuz it recommended carbolicious muffins found on amazon..when I checked them out their net carbs are inaccurate. They posted each has 3 net carbs but when I do the math they are more like 8-10 depending on type.

Last edited by mjgh06; 11-13-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I guess you have to test to see how your body reacts to them. Maybe she means net carbs after subtracting the fiber content. Testing is the only real way to know if the carb count is legit.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I took total carbs minus fiber minus half of the sugar alcohols (if any, except Erythritol then -0-) which is the formula my doc told me to use. It seems they take away all the sugar alcohols plus fiber to get net carbs.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
I took total carbs minus fiber minus half of the sugar alcohols (if any, except Erythritol then -0-) which is the formula my doc told me to use. It seems they take away all the sugar alcohols plus fiber to get net carbs.
I believe you're correct. With me, a high fiber count doesn't lessen the blood sugar spikes I get from carbs. I found that out when I ate some "Fiber One" cereal. I really miss cereal and I was hoping I could at least eat that, but, no. If I don't want to progress onto full blown diabetes, I just can't eat cereal
Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
My hubby and I arevery sensitive to grains and pre diabetic. Gave up pasta for 4 years, then tried Dreamfields. No sugar rise after 1 or 2 hours for either of us. We measured our portions and ate 1 cup. They are not supposed to be cooked with tomato products. However, you can mix with pasta sauce while still hot and and they are a wonderful treat.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
My BF's younger brother uses Dreamfields. He is type 1 Diabetic and he checks his meter frequently, not just after meals. He's never mentioned anything, but then he doesn't assume any food is "safe" and checks his blood both before and after meals. If there is a blood sugar rise, maybe it doesn't matter to him cause he's checking it so frequently and therefore adjusting his insulin as needed. I assume that's what a diabetic would be doing if they ate regular pasta. He hasn't been poisoned by Dreamfields, but he also takes care to measure his sugars diligently and takes nothing for granted even diet or low carb foods. If he tries a new food, he measures, if he eats an old food, he measures. Someone tested and said that his blood sugar rose the same with Dreamfields as regular pasta, but if I were diabetic, I think I'd be checking anyway, and there are plenty of people who eat regular pasta and don't consider that it is poisoning them just because they didn't check for personal reactions. I do agree that they should be investigated for claims though, since it is quite iffy. I wish Meullers would bring back their plain and simple high Fiber pasta, there was no guess work there, carbs minus fiber, that's it.

Plus I think a diabetic has more responsibility to check themselves than a non diabetic since there is much more at stake than weight gain. So don't take a chance with any food, always check and check afterward to see how you personally react.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote