LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Cancer and the ketogenic diet

Found this study linked on J.M.'s facebook today and thought it important to share here for those that enjoy the science and more importantly, another fantastic reason to eat well (i.e.ketogenic diet)!!

PLOS ONE: The Ketogenic Diet and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Prolong Survival in Mice with Systemic Metastatic Cancer
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
That was very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Besides slowing the rate of cancer, the ketogenic diet caused a weight loss of 10% of the mice's body weight in the study. Later in the paper, they talked about how a ketogenic diet (called KD in the paper) spared the muscle of patients who were suffering from starvation (not in their study, they used mice. They talked about other studies on KDs). It just seems all-around the way to go.

I had never heard about the increased oxygen slowing the spread of tumors. Where does one go to spend time in an oxygen chamber? I wonder if home oxygen therapy would help?

I wonder if this study will get any traction? A new drug with those kind of results would I bet, but there isn't much $$$$ to be made eating cream cheese and avocados.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
Very interesting indeed. I have read where cancer cells depend on glucose for rapid growth. Maybe, that is why obesity is considered one of the top risks in cancer. Just a thought.
GME, hyperbaric therapy couldn't be done at home that I'm aware of. It is a special room/ machine that is used for decompression sickness (the bends) and wound therapy in a medical setting.

Last edited by rndiane; 06-08-2013 at 07:36 AM..
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

The great thing about this study is that it is researching metastatic cancer which there is little effective treatment at this time. The underlying message may be that a ketogenic woe may be preventative for some cancers.
The other thing to consider is that it generally takes up to 20+ yrs. for some cancers to become 'established' and if eating a K.D., then perhaps that cancer can be thwarted? Just supposition but I think something that may prove true.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Thanks for posting this Cathy. I find all the studies on ketogenic diets and cancer very interesting. I'm attaching a link to a study by Dr. Seigfried.

Cancer Part III--Dietary Treatments » Diagnosis: Diet

Pat
Patlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Pat, thank you very much for that link. I have read a bit of part 3 and am now reading part 1. Excellent articles!!

Off topic, I see you live "in a small town on the sunny coast of Spain" and I must tell you, I am green with envy. Just spent a fantastic wk. in a giant villa with 20 of my closest and dearest family not far from Malaga. Even though the weather sucked for 1/2 the time, it did not spoil the magnificence of the region and the time we had. So would love to live there!!!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 06-08-2013 at 10:15 AM..