Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Recommended Reading
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
low carb reading suggestion

I am suddenly (and thankfully) about to have alot more time on my hands, and I want to fill some of it with some good healthy reading. What low-carb book do you consider a must-read? Maybe something new?
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My all time favorite is Good Calories/Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and 2nd is Why We Get Fat by the same author. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, by Drs. Phinney and Volek is another 'must read'. And for a look into health benefits of low carb eating Life Without Bread by Allan and Lutz is an excellent read. Any of the Dr. Atkins books are well worth the time as well.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BSR3
Stats: 159/135/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May, 2012
I second "Why We Get Fat". That book changed my life. I also enjoyed Dr. William Davis' "Wheat Belly". Also, while not a low carb advocating book (not really a diet book), another interesting read is "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.
BSR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I third "Why We Get Fat!" Good Calories, Bad Calories is A LOT of reading and details to say what "Why We Get Fat" says in a much more accessible way. Taubes has said that he had to write a "tomb" loaded w/science and examples to break through and be taken seriously. Many people said to him, why don't you write a GCBC for dummies, so to speak, a book that would be more quickly read by many, and he did. Why We Get Fat was so inspiring to me, and like the poster above said, it changed my life, or at least how I think about food.

I'm currently reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, which goes over a lot of the same ground, but also brings up many additional interesting things. I'm enjoying it.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I third "Why We Get Fat!" Good Calories, Bad Calories is A LOT of reading and details to say what "Why We Get Fat" says in a much more accessible way. Taubes has said that he had to write a "tomb" loaded w/science and examples to break through and be taken seriously. Many people said to him, why don't you write a GCBC for dummies, so to speak, a book that would be more quickly read by many, and he did. Why We Get Fat was so inspiring to me, and like the poster above said, it changed my life, or at least how I think about food.

I'm currently reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, which goes over a lot of the same ground, but also brings up many additional interesting things. I'm enjoying it.
?tomb or tome?? was this just his play on words?

eta: sorry op, no recommendations from me that haven't already been recommended
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by margame View Post
?tomb or tome?? was this just his play on words?

eta: sorry op, no recommendations from me that haven't already been recommended
Been waiting to use this icon--- I love that little guy and this is the perfect time to use it. "Tome" would be correct. Typos can be so darn funny, particularly when there's a bit of truth in them. But no, this was not his play on words, but rather my typing to fast and not double checking.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote