Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recommended Reading (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/)
-   -   low carb reading suggestion (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/805009-low-carb-reading-suggestion.html)

spaceace 05-29-2013 11:20 AM

low carb reading suggestion

I am suddenly (and thankfully) about to have alot more time on my hands, and I want to fill some of it with some good healthy reading. What low-carb book do you consider a must-read? Maybe something new?

clackley 05-29-2013 12:00 PM

My all time favorite is Good Calories/Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and 2nd is Why We Get Fat by the same author. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, by Drs. Phinney and Volek is another 'must read'. And for a look into health benefits of low carb eating Life Without Bread by Allan and Lutz is an excellent read. Any of the Dr. Atkins books are well worth the time as well.

BSR3 05-29-2013 12:11 PM

I second "Why We Get Fat". That book changed my life. I also enjoyed Dr. William Davis' "Wheat Belly". Also, while not a low carb advocating book (not really a diet book), another interesting read is "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.

Blue Skies 05-29-2013 02:57 PM

I third "Why We Get Fat!" Good Calories, Bad Calories is A LOT of reading and details to say what "Why We Get Fat" says in a much more accessible way. Taubes has said that he had to write a "tomb" loaded w/science and examples to break through and be taken seriously. Many people said to him, why don't you write a GCBC for dummies, so to speak, a book that would be more quickly read by many, and he did. Why We Get Fat was so inspiring to me, and like the poster above said, it changed my life, or at least how I think about food.

I'm currently reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, which goes over a lot of the same ground, but also brings up many additional interesting things. I'm enjoying it.

margame 05-29-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16445931)
I third "Why We Get Fat!" Good Calories, Bad Calories is A LOT of reading and details to say what "Why We Get Fat" says in a much more accessible way. Taubes has said that he had to write a "tomb" loaded w/science and examples to break through and be taken seriously. Many people said to him, why don't you write a GCBC for dummies, so to speak, a book that would be more quickly read by many, and he did. Why We Get Fat was so inspiring to me, and like the poster above said, it changed my life, or at least how I think about food.

I'm currently reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, which goes over a lot of the same ground, but also brings up many additional interesting things. I'm enjoying it.

:confused: ?tomb or tome?? was this just his play on words?

eta: sorry op, no recommendations from me that haven't already been recommended

Blue Skies 05-29-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by margame (Post 16445998)
:confused: ?tomb or tome?? was this just his play on words?

eta: sorry op, no recommendations from me that haven't already been recommended

:rofl: Been waiting to use this icon--- I love that little guy and this is the perfect time to use it. "Tome" would be correct. Typos can be so darn funny, particularly when there's a bit of truth in them.:) But no, this was not his play on words, but rather my typing to fast and not double checking.