Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Another book you may want to consider reading is Dr. Richard Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution'.
Thanks clackley, put it on my kindle list. Information is a great help to me in the inspiration and will power categories.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I've read it and it's a solid book. I don't follow a lc plan and there's a few things I disagree with Taubes about, like his views on calories, but overall I really respect his insight-especially about sugar. He's supposed to be working on a new book about sugar right now and I can't wait to read it!
I just wish the health industry would do more studies that test his theories, but that's not going to happen when they're busy refuting him. Let's face it, the issue of weight loss is not only always a hot topic in America, it's a jack pot for everyone with a fad diet of one kind or another. The good news is, SLOWLY, I'm seeing more and more in the health industry get on board. Found a clip of Dr. Sanjay on this site, talking about a two year test of low calorie vs. Low carb.
Both performed well, but the low carb performed well in more categories, including raising the HDL.

I found his dismissal of "Calories in calories out" quite fascinating, and have experienced many of his complaints about it in various attempts to lose weight.
Certainly, one cannot go willy nilly on the calories and lose weight, but I have found that when I feel deprived, I'm bound to fall off the wagon. The nice thing about LC eating is I don't feel deprived often.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
When you click on search, two options appear: search products and search forums. You're searching in the top one, when you want to search in the bottom.
Thanks Ntombi, Duh. Sometimes I'm clicking and moving so fast I forget to READ.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #34
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I just wish the health industry would do more studies that test his theories, but that's not going to happen when they're busy refuting him. Let's face it, the issue of weight loss is not only always a hot topic in America, it's a jack pot for everyone with a fad diet of one kind or another. The good news is, SLOWLY, I'm seeing more and more in the health industry get on board. Found a clip of Dr. Sanjay on this site, talking about a two year test of low calorie vs. Low carb.
Both performed well, but the low carb performed well in more categories, including raising the HDL.

I found his dismissal of "Calories in calories out" quite fascinating, and have experienced many of his complaints about it in various attempts to lose weight.
Certainly, one cannot go willy nilly on the calories and lose weight, but I have found that when I feeol deprived, I'mbound to fall off the wagon. The nice thing about LC eating is I don't feel deprived often.
Have you read Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata? It's not a diet book per se, but instead goes into the history of how the dieting industry began and how low calorie and low carb dieting got their starts (contrary to popular belief Atkins was not the one to start the low carb woe-lc diets have been around since the 1800s). And then the book spends a lot of time digging into studies.that have been done about different diets. Especially a two year study comparing Atkins to a low calorie plan used by university weight loss programs, (hint-they both failed to have even short term success for most participants in the study). It also has lots of good info on Leptin, and how that was discovered. I highly recommend this book, regardless of what plan someone follows

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-06-2013 at 11:39 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Have you read Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata? It's not a diet book per se, but instead goes into the history of how the dieting industry began and how low calorie and low carb dieting got their starts (contrary to popular belief Atkins was not the one to start the low carb woe-lc diets have been around since the 1800s). And then the book spends a lot of time digging into studies.that have been done about different diets. Especially a two year study comparing Atkins to a low calorie plan used by university weight loss programs, (hint-they both failed to have even short term success for most participants in the study). It also has lots of good info on Leptin, and how that was discovered. I highly recommend this book, regardless of what plan someone follows
I'm a book nerd too!!!! My Kindle goes EVERYWHERE with me, lest I have to stand in a long line anywhere, wait in a Doctors office, or even at a long stop light. thanks for the book suggestion, put it on my list. Learning inspires me, and best of all, I'm never hungry when I'm reading, as a totally different appetite is being sated.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
I sure get that. For me it's bread. And I don't intend to go without it either, but now it's a special treat instead of a daily indulgence. And I found a GREAT low carb bread machine recipe---3 carbs per slice. So that helps.
I loved bread too! Especially homemade!! I have to ask... would you be willing to share that bread machine recipe by chance? I have a bread machine too and I've been so bummed it's had no use at all lately. I probably wouldn't make the bread now with my WOE the way it is, but that could definitely be something I could work in when I'm in maintenance
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
I'm a book nerd too!!!! My Kindle goes EVERYWHERE with me, lest I have to stand in a long line anywhere, wait in a Doctors office, or even at a long stop light. thanks for the book suggestion, put it on my list. Learning inspires me, and best of all, I'm never hungry when I'm reading, as a totally different appetite is being sated.
Book nerds rock

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-06-2013 at 12:47 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Have you heard of Pixel of Ink and Ereader News Today? Both have a newsletter they send out daily with bargain books and free books. I've gotten at least a dozen books in the last couple of weeks that look interesting to me. And I've read several in the last week or two that were just excellent and free. Most of the books are pleasure books but I got an organic gardening book a couple of days ago.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Why We Get Fat read like a novel to me. Loved it and it started me back on LC. I read Wheat Belly afterwards and went wheat-free. The roller coaster thing Dr. Davis described in Wheat Belly fit me exactly.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
I loved bread too! Especially homemade!! I have to ask... would you be willing to share that bread machine recipe by chance? I have a bread machine too and I've been so bummed it's had no use at all lately. I probably wouldn't make the bread now with my WOE the way it is, but that could definitely be something I could work in when I'm in maintenance
Here you go:

Best Low Carb Bread Bread Machine) Recipe - Food.com - 102631.

It's around 3 carbs a slice. I slice it and put 2 pieces each in baggies in the freezer so I can pull out just as much as I want. It makes a smallish loaf so the slices are on the smaller side. It freezes great, and I go through a loaf about ever two weeks.

Low carb breads are hard to find, and when you do they can be VERY expensive. Julian Bakeries makes one everyone raves about, but it's 7.99 a loaf, not in any stores around here and with shipping would cost about $12 a loaf which is pretty steep to say the least. We have estimated the cost of this low carb recipe to be about $3 a loaf, so that's pretty darn good in comparison.

I'm lucky because my husband is the bread maker. He's made this several times for me, and we tweak it a bit---adding cheese improves the texture for us, dried onion flakes are a nice flavor add on.

I like it best toasted with butter. I sometimes use it for an open face sandwich---one of my faves is a sliced brat, hot mustard and sauteed onions on top of the buttery piece of toast. YUM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Why We Get Fat read like a novel to me. Loved it and it started me back on LC. I read Wheat Belly afterwards and went wheat-free. The roller coaster thing Dr. Davis described in Wheat Belly fit me exactly.
YES!!! It read like a novel to me too. Very rich in story in its own way. The biggest story in it is the resistance of the health industry to new learning---or sometimes any learning, ironic when "the health industry" becomes the bad guys.

Thanks, reddarin for the tip on the newsletter, I'm going to check in to it. I also have you to thank for, at least I think it was you, for a post on another thread where you pointed out checking into "The Great Cholesterol Myth." I listened to the podcast you suggested as "excellent," and wow, another eye opener.

I just joined this site last night, and I am already a whirling dervish of new knowledge.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
I eat no bad carbs - grains or sugars; but eat lots of veggies and 1 fruit a day. I get 30 grams fiber a day and 65 net carbs. Most people would say I am eating too many carbs, yet I do eat proteins and fats, and have eaten this way for 10 years, losing my weight. It is basically what he was saying. This is a moderate level of carbs. I climbed the carb ladder leaving out the things (grains & sugar) that affected my weight. I am living proof it works. Back in 2011 I went through a 7 week binge of the sugars and grains and gained 32 pounds in those 7 weeks. The sugars and grains affected my mental health too as panic attacks returned. Within 10 days of removing them from my food plan, the panic attacks went away. It took me a year to lose the 32 lbs I gained, but thankfully, did. There really are good carbs and bad carbs.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #43
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Did you see the note in that recipe?
"I found this recipe on the Low Carb Friends forum some time ago."
It's probably still on here. Kind of sounds like the recipes that were popular back in 2002-2004, sometime then.
Maybe Gabi's recipe?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Blueskies, another good book is "The Diabetes Miracle" or "Metabolism Miracle" by Diane Kress.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I eat no bad carbs - grains or sugars; but eat lots of veggies and 1 fruit a day. . . . . . I am living proof it works. . . . . . There really are good carbs and bad carbs.
You certainly are living proof! Thanks so much for sharing. So many people think we are really weird to embark on such an unconventional track and it is great to have folk such as yourself to point to and say, "See!!! It works!"

Some of my friends think I am crazy, others quietly wish they had the will power to do the same. Most of them are just like me. Have tried lots of diets and failed and can't face the terrible hunger and sense of deprivation that goes along with it. I've tried to tell them, you really don't have to go hungry but they just can't believe it.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I eat no bad carbs - grains or sugars; but eat lots of veggies and 1 fruit a day. I get 30 grams fiber a day and 65 net carbs. Most people would say I am eating too many carbs, yet I do eat proteins and fats, and have eaten this way for 10 years, losing my weight. It is basically what he was saying. This is a moderate level of carbs. I climbed the carb ladder leaving out the things (grains & sugar) that affected my weight. I am living proof it works. Back in 2011 I went through a 7 week binge of the sugars and grains and gained 32 pounds in those 7 weeks. The sugars and grains affected my mental health too as panic attacks returned. Within 10 days of removing them from my food plan, the panic attacks went away. It took me a year to lose the 32 lbs I gained, but thankfully, did. There really are good carbs and bad carbs.
I have been lurking here for awhile, just joined in to really participate yesterday. And what I have seen is that there are those who believe in no carbs, those who believe in very low carbs, and those that believe in low enough carbs.

All that matters is what works for each of us. I'm like you at this point in my life. If it takes me a year to lose what I gained, that's OK with me. The important thing at this point in my life is my health, and that I'm on the right path. I have lost and gained back the same pounds too many times to want to make it about weight anymore. I need to make it about what will work for me over the long haul, and if that's a bit slower and more gentle approach, that KEEPS ME ON BOARD, then that's what's called for.

Sounds like that's exactly what worked for you, and it's inspiring to hear.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Did you see the note in that recipe?
"I found this recipe on the Low Carb Friends forum some time ago."
It's probably still on here. Kind of sounds like the recipes that were popular back in 2002-2004, sometime then.
Maybe Gabi's recipe?
I didn't even notice that!

For me, bread is my achilles heel. I can walk away from the pasta, rice and potatos, save for the occasional treat, but breads I dream of. Last time I did LC, I was very strict with myself, stayed very low carb, gave up even the thought of bread, and lost a big glob of weight. But I could not maintain it. When I finally fell off the wagon, I about lived in a loaf of bread for weeks.

This time I bring my own knowledge of me and how I am to the party, and I am attempting this in different ways than I did last time, and for many reasons. I just KNOW, I'm NOT going to live without bread forever. So for me, it's a kinder gentler, smarter for me, LC WOE that I now seek.

So when I started again, knowing my husband is a genie with the bread machine, I simply googled "best low carb bread machine recipe." Those exact words. This recipe popped up on top. I did look at other recipes that also came up, but reading the comments on all, this one really did seem like the best.

How fun it originally came from here! I don't overdo it with this bread, as I said, a smallish loaf lasts me two weeks. But it keeps me from feeling deprived of something I love. Because when I feel deprived, I have learned, nothing good comes of it.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haferchamp View Post
Blueskies, another good book is "The Diabetes Miracle" or "Metabolism Miracle" by Diane Kress.
Thank you!!! OMG, for a book gal, this, my first posted thread, has been a gold mine for me. I can read myself into all kinds of things, it's my BEST tool. Your suggestions go on my list from this thread, and I'm very much looking forward to reading myself deeper and deeper into the knowledge I KNOW works better for me any old day than "will power."
Old 04-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Have tried lots of diets and failed and can't face the terrible hunger and sense of deprivation that goes along with it. I've tried to tell them, you really don't have to go hungry but they just can't believe it.
That's so key for me with LC eating. I'm NOT hungry very often, in fact, sometimes I have to remind myself I need to eat something. And when I do sit down to eat, I feel free to enjoy it without counting calories, just keeping within
the low carb goals I have set for myself.

It REALLY is amazing how satisfying this kind of eating can be, IF you work with it and keep updating the dishes you are eating, the ideas, so plentiful here and other places, for how to enjoy LC eating. If it's one thing I've learned, having done this before with great success initially, and then falling off the wagon, it's that variety and GOOD TASTE, and satisfaction with what I eat is very important to me. And that takes some work, and this time, I'm doing the work and enjoying it.

In many ways, this time it's been more satisfying for me BECAUSE I'm doing more work to explore, cook, find the recipes I love, and keep adding to them, because for me, variety IS the spice of life. Last time I just tried to do it finding the easiest way to weight loss, rather than finding the things that would work for me and satisfy me over the long haul.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perfectdeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Another book you may want to consider reading is Dr. Richard Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution'.
i'll second this, fantastic book and an incredible story of his own life experience

i've also ready Taubes WWGF, i've been a fan of his ever since i read the times article "what if its all been a big fat lie", it totally changed my life
Perfectdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdeb View Post
i'll second this, fantastic book and an incredible story of his own life experience

i've also ready Taubes WWGF, i've been a fan of his ever since i read the times article "what if its all been a big fat lie", it totally changed my life
OK, this is a great second on a suggestion. Thanks. The part that really speaks to me is "an incredible story of his own life experience." I've said it many times on this thread, and I'll say it again---reading and knowledge is my biggest tool in fighting almost anything. Will be ordering this up on my kindle tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
Quote:
Here you go:

Best Low Carb Bread Bread Machine) Recipe - Food.com - 102631.

It's around 3 carbs a slice. I slice it and put 2 pieces each in baggies in the freezer so I can pull out just as much as I want. It makes a smallish loaf so the slices are on the smaller side. It freezes great, and I go through a loaf about ever two weeks.

Low carb breads are hard to find, and when you do they can be VERY expensive. Julian Bakeries makes one everyone raves about, but it's 7.99 a loaf, not in any stores around here and with shipping would cost about $12 a loaf which is pretty steep to say the least. We have estimated the cost of this low carb recipe to be about $3 a loaf, so that's pretty darn good in comparison.

I'm lucky because my husband is the bread maker. He's made this several times for me, and we tweak it a bit---adding cheese improves the texture for us, dried onion flakes are a nice flavor add on.

I like it best toasted with butter. I sometimes use it for an open face sandwich---one of my faves is a sliced brat, hot mustard and sauteed onions on top of the buttery piece of toast. YUM.
Wow, that looks FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing I know I absolutely loved a really good piece of toasted bread, so if I can handle eating a slice of that now and again when I'm in maintenance that'll be so great... I know what you mean about low carb breads being crazy expensive! I can't find them locally here either, which is a real bummer! Then again I'd kind of rather make the bread myself anyway, that way I can control what goes into it

I think the reason I've avoided pretty much all foods I consider "cheat" foods (basically foods that closely mimic carby foods I was addicted to, but are a better alternative... like oopsie rolls, low carb wraps, etc) is because I've been scared that they'll start to trigger cravings for the REAL thing again and I won't be able to stop thinking about them again Tomorrow (if all goes according to plan and I'm not lazy anyway ) I'm actually going to be trying the shirataki noodles for the first time and I'm nervous about that. BUT... I've not cheated once since I started this WOE, and I've been around plenty of people eating the wrong things in front of me too and abstained... so I'm hoping that means I'll be strong enough to know the difference between the "cheat" foods and the real thing. And that I'll somehow manage to enjoy the "cheat" foods, because that'll make it a lot easier to resist everything else
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

raindroproses, I get the trigger thing. And I understand why folks call them "cheat" foods.
On my last LC journey, I saw it the same way, and denied myself them. That didn't work out well for me in the end.

This time I'm not looking at say, LC bread, as a cheat food, but rather a healthy choice for me. The less I feel deprived, the more I'm able to make these "cheat" foods a small part of what I eat. One small loaf of low carb bread over two weeks feels very reasonable to me---I enjoy it when it's part of the meal, then move onto other new Low carb recipes.

I understand you're doing Atkins, I did that last time, so I get the levels and waiting till you're in maintenance. This is what works for you, and we all need to trust that. But to be honest, I'd have never gone LC again if I had to go through induction again. It started me right off on the obsessive thing, and that never ended throughout my time on Atkins. So while my food choices may have been on the plan, my mind was constantly off the plan, dreaming of what I would like to eat that I shouldn't be.

This time I'm taking everything I learned on Atkins, and doing my own thing. You don't get that big fast weight loss this way, but it is coming off, slowly but surely. And I'm feeling totally different about it than I did last time.

It's such an interesting journey and challenge for all of us, a head game as much as an eating game, huh?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
raindroproses, ...I understand you're doing Atkins,
She is doing NK

Quote:
It's such an interesting journey and challenge for all of us, a head game as much as an eating game, huh?
Much more a head game than an eating game I think. If your head isn't on straight no eating plan will work LC or otherwise.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
She is doing NK

Much more a head game than an eating game I think. If your head isn't on straight no eating plan will work LC or otherwise.

Thanks for setting me straight, I assumed and you know where that leads. BTW, what is NK?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #56
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I agree, reddarin, that it is more of a head game... But get it right in your head and it all becomes easy!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks for setting me straight, I assumed and you know where that leads. BTW, what is NK?

This thread details the basics of NK and how it differs from Atkins:

Nutritional Ketosis v. Atkins
Old 04-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

This thread details the basics of NK and how it differs from Atkins:

Nutritional Ketosis v. Atkins
Thanks! These threads can be a bit of Alphabet soup, and I'm trying to catch up with what it all means.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
You should read it, raindroproses, but in the meantime, you can watch one of his lectures on youtube. Taubes is awesome!

That being said, I haven't read it. I read Good Calories, Bad Calories a couple of years ago and I thought it was amazing. I'd like to read Why We Get Fat, but I have a feeling it won't say anything new and I never have an extra 20 bucks lying around, sadly.

Anyhow... I think if the whole world listened to Taubes, we wouldn't all be in our current predicament.
I know where you can get a free copy...
Your local library!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #60
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
I know where you can get a free copy...
Your local library!
I have been amazed at what my library has. Good Calories, Bad Calories, low carb cookbooks, Suzanne Somers' books, Berstein's Diabetes Solution, Life Without Bread. I love my library
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote