Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata

Has anyone read Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata? What are your thoughts on it? I just finished reading it and really liked it, especially the part where she goes into the history of dieting and how our culture has changed its views on how people should look like, over the past 200 years. It was also sad to me, to really see the 95% weight loss failure rate being laid out so methodically with all the studies talked about in this book. And very interesting to learn about Leptin, and what that could mean for the future of obesity!

The study that's looked at throughout the book was also very interesting to me-after two years neither participants of the Atkins group or the low calorie (LEARN calories restricted plan), showed great success and followed the same pattern of failure. I was surprised at this outcome.

And what an ending-bringing up the new research that's showing being overweight may not actually be detrimental to our health. The studies done at those elementary schools make you

I think the book sums it up best when it quotes the one scientist who says we're really in the infant stages of the whole obesity problem and it's going to be many, many years before real solutions start coming forward.

Such an interesting and informative book!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LastRick
Stats: 245/193/192
WOE: HFLC (+ IF)
Start Date: July 2010
I read it last year and reviewed it at the time. I liked it but I thought it came up short, especially in the second half of the book Almost as if the author got distracted late in the experiment and forgot to check it enough. Here were some of my thoughts then:

For the most part, I enjoyed the book. I tried not to compare it to [Good Calories Bad Calories] -- which isn't fair 1) because of how amazing and life-changing GCBC was for me and 2) the two books just aren't the same subject matter. GCBC is meant to show you all the misconceptions and the science surrounding what we're told to eat; Rethinking Thin, I thought, would be more personal, the story of people desperate to lose weight.

In Rethinking Thin, we diligently follow the dieters for the first few months, hearing about their success and troubles. But there becomes a point -- like watching a show on television, You know, there's not going to be enough time to wrap this story up, we're headed for a cliff-hanger -- when you realize you've only seen about the first six months of the study and we're out of pages. And very quickly, without much fanfare, using primarily the epilogue, the story is neatly wrapped up: participants are depressed, little weight is loss, some dieters even regressed.

What happened? I feel like I missed out on so much in these dieters' lives. In some ways it felt like a serious of newspaper articles that had been slapped together as a book. How come Kolata didn't check in with them in Year Two, as month after month saw the pounds begin to creep on? Or maybe the ones that were still holding steady -- What were they thinking? How hard were they working just to maintain?
LastRick is offline   Reply With Quote