Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I want wood floors - DH wants to replace carpet !

We remodeled our house 8 years ago and now tiles have cracked, carpet has stains that even when professionally removed come right back !
I want to get it all out and put down wood floors but am having trouble convincing my DH. He grew up with wood floors and doesn't like them

What do you all have ?
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
What is it with this wall to wall carpeting fetish? Gah! My husband is the same way. My mother has wood floors and she says it's so much easier to keep clean and there is less dust in the house.
I did manage to convince dh to put engineered bamboo in daughters bedroom. We laid it ourselves, not a good experience, but it looks nice. Creaks a lot when we walk on it though.
I think my perfect floor covering would be vinyl that looks like wood. Still easy to clean but much less maintenance. Some of it really looks like wood, I like that.
Good luck with your decision. I would love to get rid of all our wall to wall carpeting.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bee_a_queen
Stats: 297/185/175
WOE: Via Mouth and obviously too often lately
Start Date: Dec,1 2003
DH and I learned to lay laminate wood flooring and I happen to have taught myself to put down tile. I am awesome at tile. Enough that both bathrooms are done and backsplash in the kitchen partially. We did however also lay the laminate flooring in all 2000plus feet in the main living area. Absolutely it is entirely manageable with a new table saw blade, patience, time and did I mention a new blade. Oh, I did. Buy another blade please. How feeble the first day laying it DH tells me to stop so we go to my Moms to borrow her extension cord. of all things! But it is not hard and worth every moment. I do spend days chasing dust bunnies and bought an industrial mop bucket and still chase the herd of dust bunnies but now it because of the dgs. Worth it all and I am glad we did it! (changed floors). Good luck in your decision. Carpet free for six years!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Ditto: "Carpet-free for 6 years!" LOL When we built our new home, I said NO carpet! I was so tired of trying to remove dirt and/or stains from carpeting in our other house, even to the point of not entertaining if I didn't have time to clean before an event. Yep, I had white carpeting ("Tuxedo white") and someone once asked why I didn't buy brown. Ya know what? Just because dirt might not show doesn't mean it's not there!

My asthma is almost non-existent in our new home and the floors are so easy to keep clean. We do have an area rug in the Great Room but it's not near any entryways and we don't wear shoes in our home, so it still looks new. (Did you know that shoes can bring all kinds of icky stuff into your home, including arsenic that your pets can get on their feet and then lick off, potentially causing mouth cancer? Learned that from our vet.) We have a bucket of washable slippers by the front door for our guests, for those who might be wondering.

We have hardwood floors in the kitchen, dining room, Great Room, bedrooms and loft. We have tile in the foyer, mudroom, laundry room and bathrooms. Dh helped a friend lay the tile, and dh and I laid most of the hardwood ourselves once a friend showed us how to do it. We're happy with how it all turned out and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Oh- just noticed- you can get a peek at our hardwood in my avatar. LOL

Last edited by raini; 11-02-2012 at 07:48 PM..
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
thanks guys for all the reinforcement !! still working on DH !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
Let us know how it turns out!
raini is offline   Reply With Quote