Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Raqoon
Stats: 318/296 /I'll know when I get there
WOE: Primal Low Carb
Start Date: Dec 13, 2011
'The Low Carb Bible' is utterly deceptive!

In my quest to inform myself, I've taken out all of the books my local library has on nutrition. One of them was "The Low Carb Bible" by Elizabeth Ward and its deceptiveness has left me shocked! Have any of you ever read it?

Although the name says low carb, the advice within is anything but. This book basically bashes low carb diets as dangerous and leading to cancer, diabetes and heart disease. It gives information on portion control using a muffin (!) or a bowl of cereal as size markers and reminds us that we need carbs for good nutrition. Just a quick scan of the recipe section and I saw ingredients such as margarine and sugar. I could go on and on...

How could a book be published as low carb, but in reality be bashing it?

What really kills me is that some person who hasn't read any other low carb sources may buy this book and give "low carbing" a try. And when they fail, they will chalk it up to low carb not working.

I'm thinking of writing a review on Amazon to express these concerns... Yuck!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: raini
WOE: mostly raw vegan
Start Date: February 2013
RaQ- I think you SHOULD write a review of this book if it is as bad as you say!

I have a Low Carb Bible (I think!) in my stash of low carb books. Maybe I should see if it's the same one. Thanks for the head's up!

Raini
raini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
sounds like the American Diabetes Association's version of "low carb"...my sis was diagnosed a couple of years ago as seriously pre-diabetic. Her doctor told her she needs to lose at least 50 lbs. and immediately put her on the recommended diet for diabetics...did you know"low carb"=50 carbs net a meal? A meal, not a day. The whole day, including snacks and beverages, is to be kept "under 200 carbs" So for example, my sis does things like use the sugar free Smuckers pancake syrup on her regular pancakes...needless to say, she has not lost an ounce and is now on meds.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Yeah I think I've got 2 of them and have never really even used anything in them, not impressed, just collecting dust.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I haven't read the book you're talking about here, but could it be that the carb level addressed in this book is low carb, but not induction level carb numbers? So maybe the days are more in the 100 or 150 carb level. Still considered low carb as compared to the average American diet, but certainly a far cry from the zero carb and very low carb that many here follow.

Just a thought. Like I say, I haven't read this particular book. If this book isn't telling you what you want to hear, or isn't agreeing with your thoughts on the subject, just purge it from your library. It doesn't sound like one that is going to help you or encourage you toward the goals you have in mind.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I would definitely leave a review on Amazon. I just read a few reviews. Interesting that the book seems to have been sponsored by some major manufacturers. I don't have it but yeah I would also be utterly disappointed if I orderd a low carb book that had recipes with flour. Really?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I would definitely leave a review on Amazon. I just read a few reviews. Interesting that the book seems to have been sponsored by some major manufacturers. I don't have it but yeah I would also be utterly disappointed if I orderd a low carb book that had recipes with flour. Really?
Don't order Dr. Robert Atkins' book Atkins for Life then. In low carb maintenance he allows for the occasional serving of whole wheat breads or dinner rolls, etc. But, interestingly, his various packaged baking mixes and flours weren't wheat-based. Lots of kinds of flour though, so those made from seeds rather than grains work a whole lot better for some folks, even in their maintenance levels.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Don't order Dr. Robert Atkins' book Atkins for Life then. In low carb maintenance he allows for the occasional serving of whole wheat breads or dinner rolls, etc. But, interestingly, his various packaged baking mixes and flours weren't wheat-based. Lots of kinds of flour though, so those made from seeds rather than grains work a whole lot better for some folks, even in their maintenance levels.
OK but does that book also have recipes with ramen noodles, sugar, frozen hashbrowns,croutons, regular bread crumbs and regular pasta? That's what I was alluding to.
Dana Carpender did a review on her site and I agree with her. The book first came out in 2003. Low Carb was still very popular. I would not be surprised that the major product companies mentioned in the book helped published the book to keep their product sales up when people were cutting back on those products as well as discourage people from low carb eating.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-13-2012 at 10:43 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
I haven't read the book you're talking about here, but could it be that the carb level addressed in this book is low carb, but not induction level carb numbers? So maybe the days are more in the 100 or 150 carb level. Still considered low carb as compared to the average American diet, but certainly a far cry from the zero carb and very low carb that many here follow.

Just a thought. Like I say, I haven't read this particular book. If this book isn't telling you what you want to hear, or isn't agreeing with your thoughts on the subject, just purge it from your library. It doesn't sound like one that is going to help you or encourage you toward the goals you have in mind.
There is no way that this book is low carb if it is telling readers that a low carb lifestyle will kill them!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
OK but does that book also have recipes with ramen noodles, sugar, frozen hashbrowns,croutons, regular bread crumbs and regular pasta? That's what I was alluding to.
Dana Carpender did a review on her site and I agree with her. The book first came out in 2003. Low Carb was still very popular. I would not be surprised that the major product companies mentioned in the book helped published the book to keep their product sales up when people were cutting back on those products as well as discourage people from low carb eating.
It sounds duplicitous! I saw this book once in a used book store in Arizona and took a peek. I was appalled. It isn't low carb, not even close to being low carb.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Like I say, I haven't read this particular book. If this book isn't telling you what you want to hear, or isn't agreeing with your thoughts on the subject, just purge it from your library. It doesn't sound like one that is going to help you or encourage you toward the goals you have in mind.
I totally agree, Pat. I actually don't even own it, so no problem with having such a waste of a book. My problem is its deceptiveness, and how it may trick some people. Such blatant dishonesty just makes me crazy!
Raqoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Some choice 'cuts' from the Low Carb Bible: (am preparing material for my Amazon review)

*'Glucose is the preferred energy source for most tissue' (p. 8).

*'If you drastically reduce complex carbs from your diet, you will lose out on crucial nutrients and may jeopardize your health (p. 9).

*(in reference to a weight loss study) 'No matter their method for weight loss, participants continue to follow a low calorie/low fat diet to keep the pounds off' (p 14).

*'Still health care professionals doubt the worthiness of low carb regimens' (p. 15)

*' ... it's counter-intuitive to blame carbs alone for causing excess body fat' (p. 15)

*Even the less extreme of the low carb plans may be unsafe because they restrict certain foods that fight disease' (p 16).

*'Some low carb diets don't restrict protein, fat or calories... so you could be clogging your arteries and increasing your cancer risk (p. 19)

*'Day by day- foods to include: 3 servings of grain, 5 servings of fruit' (p 45)

*Americans have not followed the government's eating recommendations based on the Food Guide Pyramid... as a result the obesity rate has skyrocketed (p. 48).

The Nutrient Counter
pp 75-78 = cookies, crackers, donuts, pies, sweet rolls
pp 82-84 = Cheerios, Golden Grahams, Honey Oats, Raisin Bran, etc

A choice recipe example:
p 126 - Herb omelet made with Egg Beaters and Fleischmann's margarine

And on and on. You'd think that a low carb 'bible' would be supportive of this woe. I guess a book title doesn't have to accurately reflect the contents anymore..
Raqoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coleslaw
WOE: Low carb aim for 50g carbs daily max
Start Date: 2009
I have a book called The Low Carb Bible but it's by Linda Gassenheimer and is a combined edition of two previous books, one of which was Low Carb Meals in Minutes.
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheddarcheeks
WOE: LC
Start Date: August 1, 2010
Just reading this now. Did you ever write that Amazon review?
cheddarcheeks is offline   Reply With Quote