Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Recommended Reading
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
The Vegetarian Myth

Let me preface this by saying hat's off to all the vegetarians out there, and I mean absolutely no offense to you. I think what you are doing is admirable if it's right for you.

That said, I'm reading a book titled The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith. What an eye opener. When I was doing South Beach a short while ago I turned vegetarian, but for many reasons started questioning it. A friend alerted me to this book The Vegetarian Myth. OMLord, what an eye opener. Anyone else read it? I think I am finally done with my vegetarian flirtations.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grinch031
Stats: 196/179/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 11/24/2011
What's the myth about vegetarians?
grinch031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goose1
Stats: 229/193.2/166.4/140
WOE: lchf
Start Date: Jan 02/14
I just started the book, I think its going to be very interesting. In mid 90's I went vegetarian for about 5 years. Some of that a vegan. I ate very low fat. I ended up gaining 50lbs. Part of that gain was from my Thyroid quiting on me. I'm starting to wonder though if I damaged my Thyroid by my food choices.
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
I know this is a "to each their own" scenario (YMMV?), but my aunt is a vegetarian and has breast cancer. I don't think she's in a far stage, she just had a lumpectomy; But with all that soy stuff, makes you wonder huh.
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbs
Stats: 213.4/less than 213.4/190
Interested in the topic...a little info on the book would be appreciated.
ilikecarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
I seriously have to check that book out of the library! I know they have it I've seen it. I was thinking about vegetarianism again....I get the guilts about all the critters that have to die so I can eat them. I've read tons of pro-vegetarianism books so a flip side view might be refreshing (a non Atkins/low carb view that is).
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Putthekettleon, if you felt like writing a review for LCF, I know I would appreciate it.

Here's the book Recommended Reading section.

Thanks for posting about this book.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Hi Auntie Em, wow I didn't even know there was such a section on this forum! Goes to show you how I stay stuck in one place!

I'll do that later on this week. I'm going to write a review on amazon, so I'll just copy that one here. Thanks!
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Putthekettleon, I'm looking forward to your post!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JustCallMeAmy
Stats: 267/103/105
WOE: doing it my way :)
Start Date: Jan. 6th/09
i've heard great things about this book also and it's on my must read list after i finally get around to reading my copy of Wheat Belly lol!!!

looking forward to the review
JustCallMeAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NextLevel
Stats: 5'1", 107 lbs
WOE: Less carbs, more good fats, more whole foods
Start Date: 2009
So what exactly does this book talk about??
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I just re-read this book! It is a good one!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #13

Gallery: Tabbz82
Stats: 214.5/207/140
WOE: Low Carb-ish - no processed foods for me!
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Hmm...I am interested. I must check it out!
Tabbz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I could never go there - I love meat too much.

Vegetables have to "die" too before we eat them - they just don't have cute faces like meat!

I've finally learned to not let the face thing bother me. I've even helped with some of the slaughter/butchering process a few times, with lambs and pigs, from farms where they had very good lives up to the day they gave it up so I could eat the way my forebears did - meat.

It really gave me a good appreciation for the process, AND I always say a little private "thank you" to the creature.

I'll be interested in reading your review, PTKO - please post a link to it in this thread!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i have said this before, and i am saying it again.

i am not dogmatic about diets..the weight loss kind, or the kind that people grew up with or just chose for themselves. I love veggies and salads, but I just cannot handle all that roughage. Also, in addition to DMII, I have thyroid issues too. Ergo, I go very light on soy laden ingredients. But for those who want to be VEGAN, that is fine. What I DO object to are those VEGGIHOLICS, that are agressively trying to stifle us CARNIVORES. Fortunately, there are enough senators and congresspeople representing the beef, chicken, and pork industries to stop them in their tracks. I am sure those same self righteous folks are just as abusive with plants as we (allegedly)are with animals...and we are not. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I read the review on Dr. Eades site yesterday and all day I couldn't get the "fence across the Serengheti" idea out of my mind. Just how ignorant can people be?
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I know! I know! That's like adopting a pet cat then putting it in a room with a garden salad to starve to death.

Some things the author says aren't exactly correct, like how ruminants get their nutrition ( they eat the grass and bacteria eat the cellulose and they eat the bacteria) Nope that's how worms digest, Ruminants actually thrive on the volatile short chain fatty acids created from the cellulose digestion. Something small , but it will be fodder for people opposing her viewpoints to say she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Last edited by metqa; 02-09-2012 at 07:16 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
the thing that I took away most from that book was how agri-business (mostly subsidized corn and wheat) is ruining something like 90% or America's arable land. Nothing else will survive on a field where corn and wheat are grown....there is no bio-diversity. No moles, mice, nothing.... part of that is driven by vegetarianism but not all...

in the "old days" farmers would have cows grazing on land, dropping their fertilizer for insects to eat, then birds and mice, then fox etc. and on up the food-chain making for a very bio-diverse and ecologically sound environment. Pretty soon, we will be left with nothing but dried up land with no top-soil and the earth will stop supporting life. Which is the exact OPPOSITE of what vegetarians and vegans think they are supporting. They think that there way is the natural way but it is the farthest thing from natural. In NATURE, everything eats something else... even a tree will "eat" the nutrients from a dead boy buried underneath it. To not eat animals is just about the most UN natural thing in the world.

There is far more to the book , including her testament to how sick she got from years of being a vegetarian. There is a heavy feminist bent which gets a little far-fetched in my opinion but is still interesting.

Very good book.
Tammy2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I read Michael Eades review a while back, but still haven't read the book. I recently saw Emily Deans' criticism of Wheat Belly, which also mentioned The Vegetarian Myth. Unfortunately, a careless statement or two can cast doubt on the entire work. Evolutionary Psychiatry: Slam-dunked and Wheat Belly

On a recent trip to Whole Foods, I saw a prominent display of The China Study, Forks Over Knives, and other similar books. Too bad there's no display of books presenting the other side.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rae33
Stats: 237/189.6/168
WOE: low carb/SCD/primal
Start Date: January 2011
LOVE this book! I was vegetarian for over 20 years and despite all my efforts to 'get healthy' I just kept getting fatter and sicker (highest weight ever was 248 at 5'7"). Everything I tried to lose and to stop feeling like crap all the time just wasn't working, so I decided (reluctantly) to try eating meat again- the health results were instant and overwhelming but I still felt so guilty about the animals and the 20 years of vegetarian doctrine were playing over and over in my head...

Then I read this book! It helped me to realize that grain mono crops do far more damage to the environment and kills so many animals- in ways you wouldn't really think of since you aren't eating animals when you eat grains or soy.

The MOST important thing I got from reading this book was a deep sense of KNOWING that eating animals is part of being a human animal and that this is my place in the beautiful and complex "circle of life." It is comforting to me to know that NATURE has provided me something that makes me feel good, healthy (finally!) and a part of nature itself

The author distinguishes between factory farmed meat and grass fed/ pastured meat. I never knew there was a difference! Last fall I bought a 1/4 of a 100% grass fed cow from a local rancher. It makes me happy to know that all year I will be nourished and it involves only 1 animal death.

This is an important book!
rae33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Putthekettleon, if you felt like writing a review for LCF, I know I would appreciate it.

Here's the book Recommended Reading section.

Thanks for posting about this book.

I've been a member here forever ... and I didn't know there was a "recommended reading" section.

Learning something new every day!
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
So I've been reading Low Carbohydrate Living by Volek and Phinney (<3) and they get pretty involved in discussing fats. A friend of mine is very vocal on facebook about her veganism and I kind of in a very not-rude way asked her how she gets enough of the right fats and she answered: "tofutti! it's made from tofu!"

*headdesk*

Why are people so misinformed about food? And why do they so easily shun science? It's really difficult being a scientist who is inquisitive about the actual processes behind the actions, it just makes it that much harder to watch everyone around you fail.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I have not read this book. But thanks to everyone for your input. Now I want to read it!
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Today at work I said this was going to be the next book I read because we were joking around with the 19 yr old kid that works there.

He became a vegetarian last month out of the blue after watching some PETA video his friend told him to watch (*side note I have nothing against vegetarians! How you eat is your business not mine! Like I said, we were joking with him.). He got so mad at me after saying I was going to eat a big juicy steak tonight that he's not even talking to me!

He unfortunately is VERY closed minded and whatever he says is law (takes after his mother) and refuses to believe anything else, so I doubt very much if he would even consider reading this himself.

Will be interesting to see what I get out of it.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart
-Helen Keller

First Goal...Get into my size 16 pants and jeans (currently in sz 18)
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Coleslaw
WOE: Low carb aim for 50g carbs daily max
Start Date: 2009
I will see if I can borrow this from local library..

I was a vegetarian for eleven years until I moved in with OH. Was never for pro-animal reasons, I just liked it more. Then OH seduced me with stellar cooked breakfasts, fish and lamb.
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote