Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Recommended Reading
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: green team
Jonny Bowden Living Low Carb (2010 edition)

Jonny Bowden's Living Low Carb is a big fat book, a sort of low-carb encyclopaedia. We've had a lovely week of weather in the UK, so I've been reading it in the garden.

What I really like about Bowden is that he takes a flexible, and often cautious, approach to low-carb eating. He does not trumpet low-carb diets as a revolution or a miracle: rather, he subjects them to critical analysis. For example, unlike some writers, he does not believe low-carb diets make calorie-counting redundant; he argues that if low-carb diets have a metabolic advantage, it amounts to no more than 100-200 calories a day. In other words, if you eat the same calories on a low-fat and a low-carb diet, low-carb has an edge, but only a very slight one--the point being that anyone who thinks they can eat freely on a low-carb diet will not take off weight. And although Bowden believes saturated fat is a good fat, he cautions against eating too much of it, which will slow or stop weight loss. Above all, Bowden recommends sensible, balanced eating--he is old-fashioned in that sense, but, I think, wise.

A nutritionist, Bowden is very good on the science. He explains things very clearly but without oversimplifying them. Not everyone will enjoy the scientific sections, but I lapped them up. There's also a long section where Bowden reviews a long series of diet plans. I expected this to be dull, but Bowden uses his reviews as an opportunity to explore a whole range of food theories, including those on diabetes, endocrinology, and exercise.

The book isn't designed to be read cover-to-cover (though I did) but more as a reference book, so there's some repetition from section to section. Bowden's prose style is readable and engaging, though at times he overdoes it on the folksy address to the reader. Overall, I'd say this is an essential book, both for reference and because it acts as a sobering balance to the more over-enthusiastic low-carb manifestos out there.
green team is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I like it too!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lileve
Stats: 221/187/120
WOE: LC - atkins my way
Start Date: new start: jan 2013.
Sounds like a great read! It's my biggest hobby, so I'll be making another trip to the bookshop!

*I like your review!*
Lileve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
I really like this book also. His section on supplements is quite helpful. Great references, resources and index sections. It is not too scientific to read and I enjoy revisiting it. I have quite a few low carb books and this is my favorite.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tylar
Stats: 180/180/??? 5'7" 48
WOE: SB/301
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I just finished this book and think it's fantastic. Green Team, your review is exactly right on (I read it cover-to-cover, too). I also then went to Jonny Bowden's website and was surprised to find it so sales oriented, after the personal, just-the-facts tone of his book. A little disappointing, but oh well.
Tylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MadamWu
Stats: 173/182/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: WW 8/2010 (-25lbs); Low carb 6/21/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylar View Post
I just finished this book and think it's fantastic. Green Team, your review is exactly right on (I read it cover-to-cover, too). I also then went to Jonny Bowden's website and was surprised to find it so sales oriented, after the personal, just-the-facts tone of his book. A little disappointing, but oh well.
I agree with you about his website. I was a little shocked at how commerical it was. Guess he has to make a buck like everyone else.

I am new to lowcarb, and found this book really useful. The sections about the different plans help me narrow down options I wanted to try. I was buying books willy nilly until the cost of them halted me and drove me to try a more scientific approach.
I really appreciated his advice, especially his admonition that everyone has to tailor a low carb plan to fit themselves. I have gone back to read sections of it frequently, as I seek assurance that low carb is the way to go.
MadamWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bklynladee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamWu View Post
I agree with you about his website. I was a little shocked at how commerical it was. Guess he has to make a buck like everyone else.

I am new to lowcarb, and found this book really useful. The sections about the different plans help me narrow down options I wanted to try. I was buying books willy nilly until the cost of them halted me and drove me to try a more scientific approach.
I really appreciated his advice, especially his admonition that everyone has to tailor a low carb plan to fit themselves. I have gone back to read sections of it frequently, as I seek assurance that low carb is the way to go.
Question...I know that he gives a rating system on low carb diets. I read somewhere that he gave scarsdale a 0....which system did he rate 5?
bklynladee is offline   Reply With Quote