Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recommended Reading (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/)
-   -   BBC News - fat "disrupts sugar sensors causing Type II Diabetes" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/731518-bbc-news-fat-disrupts-sugar-sensors-causing-type-ii-diabetes.html)

Portia 08-14-2011 07:09 PM

BBC News - fat "disrupts sugar sensors causing Type II Diabetes"

Type 2 diabetes 'can be reversed'
Diabetes rate 'doubles' worldwide

US researchers say they have identified how a high-fat diet can trigger type 2 diabetes, in experiments on mice and human tissue.

Writing in the journal Nature Medicine, they say that fat interferes with the body's sugar sensors.

The authors argue that a deeper understanding of the processes involved could help them develop a cure.

Diabetes UK said the study was interesting and a "theory worth investigating further".

One of the main risk factors for type 2 diabetes is being overweight - rising obesity levels have contributed to a doubling of diabetes cases in the last 30 years.
Fat and sugar

Sugar in the blood is monitored by pancreatic beta cells. If sugar levels are too high then the cells release the hormone insulin, which tells the body to bring the levels back down.

Key to this is the enzyme GnT-4a. It allows the cells to absorb glucose and therefore know how much is in the blood.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

The identification of the molecular players in this pathway to diabetes suggests new therapeutic targets and approaches towards developing an effective preventative or perhaps curative treatment”

Dr Jamey Marth Lead researcher

Researchers at the University of California and the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute say they have shown how fat disrupts the enzyme's production.

Experiments on mice showed that those on a high-fat diet had elevated levels of free fatty acids in the blood.

These fatty acids interfered with two proteins - FOXA2 and HNF1A - involved in the production of GnT-4a.

The result: fat effectively blinded cells to sugar levels in the blood and the mice showed several symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

The same process also took place in samples of human pancreatic cells.

Lead researcher Dr Jamey Marth said: "The observation that beta cell malfunction significantly contributes to multiple disease signs, including insulin resistance, was unexpected."

He suggested that boosting GnT-4a levels could prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes: "The identification
[/I] of the molecular players in this pathway to diabetes suggests new therapeutic targets and approaches towards developing an effective preventative or perhaps curative treatment.

"This may be accomplished by beta cell gene therapy or by drugs that interfere with this pathway in order to maintain normal beta cell function."

Dr Iain Frame, Director of Research at Diabetes UK, said: "This is a well-executed study into possible factors responsible for the events that lead to type 2 diabetes.

"The researchers have linked their results in mice to the same pathways in humans and although they did not show they could prevent or cure type 2 diabetes they have shown it is a theory worth investigating further.

"We will watch this with great interest and hope this early work will eventually lead to some benefit to people with type 2 diabetes."[/I]

Does anyone know anything about the funding for/authors of the study?

Let's discuss!

poopsie2223 08-14-2011 07:19 PM

Oh no. The press will be all over this telling everybody to go on low fat diets.

kat819 08-14-2011 07:33 PM

That makes no sense given that Type II diabetics need to eat a high fat diet to adequately control their blood sugar without drugs. Maybe it's only true if you're eating high fat/high carb.

vilanteira 08-14-2011 07:36 PM

I'm having difficulty understanding how this makes sense or how they came to this conclusion.

Portia 08-14-2011 07:48 PM

Impossible to tell if it was high fat and high carb, or high fat and low carb. I assume they controlled for carbs so they could isolate fat, otherwise it would be a useless study.

poopsie2223 08-14-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portia (Post 14914158)
Impossible to tell if it was high fat and high carb, or high fat and low carb. I assume they controlled for carbs so they could isolate fat, otherwise it would be a useless study.

But if they controlled carbs, how could they tell that fat was somehow messing with sugar metabolism? If there was no sugar to metabolize, there would be nothing to measure.

metqa 08-14-2011 08:18 PM

much of history is based on useless study. Just look at Ancel Keys. He claimed he looked at the lipid Hypothesis based study from the point of holding fat steady and got the results he did, but he did not go back and analyze holding sugar the same way. He just assumed sugar was only a problem when fat was high. That was a useless study and our entire countries food recommendations are based on it.

Aomiel 08-15-2011 03:48 PM

They seriously need to do a study on people who *consistently* eat a high fat, low carb (under 60gm per day) diet before they make come to these stupid conclusions. I eat a high fat, low carb diet and it's the only reason I no longer take insulin and my A1C is now down at 5.5.

cocoanut 08-15-2011 04:17 PM

This is not a new idea. Note the reference to a "high-fat, Western-style diet". Also note in the 2nd paragraph reference to an article in 2005.

"Howard Hughes Medical Institute researchers have discovered a molecular link between a high-fat, Western-style diet, and the onset of type 2 diabetes. In studies in mice, the scientists showed that a high-fat diet interferes with a genetic mechanism they discovered that promotes insulin production, resulting in the classic signs of type 2 diabetes.

In an article published in the December 29, 2005, issue of the journal Cell , the researchers report that knocking out a single gene encoding the enzyme GnT-4a glycosyltransferase (GnT-4a) disrupts insulin production. Importantly, the scientists showed that a high-fat diet suppresses the activity of GnT-4a and leads to type 2 diabetes due to failure of the pancreatic beta cells. "

Portia 08-15-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopsie2223 (Post 14914203)
But if they controlled carbs, how could they tell that fat was somehow messing with sugar metabolism? If there was no sugar to metabolize, there would be nothing to measure.

By that I meant "controlled for" carbs, not controlled carbs. In other words, they made sure that carbs were not a factor.

nanberrycritter 08-15-2011 07:27 PM

What kind of fat was used in the study? That's what I'd like to know. Was it soybean, corn or canola oil? Or was it saturated fat from dairy, beef, coconuts? I know I'm getting better results this round of lowcarbing it since I ditched the rancid omega-6 laden oils but have lots of yummy tasty saturated fat from clean sources.

Portia 08-16-2011 06:42 AM

I'm hoping someone will weigh in who has more details. Checking the Eades blog as well.