LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Really Amazing Speakers (LC CRUISE 2012)

I just realized that there are a TON of really amazing speakers for this yr's lc cruise. I didn't get to go last yr, but we paid our deposit yesterday to go on 2012's cruise.

Anyone else going?

Speakers List:
Quote:
Jimmy Moore
Emcee

Jimmy Moore quickly became an overnight Internet sensation following his incredible triple-digit low-carb weight loss success in 2004.

Gary Taubes
Author: Good Calories, Bad Calories & Why We Get Fat

Bestselling author of Good Calories Bad Calories (2007) and Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It (2010), science journalist Gary Taubes has literally been the face of low-carb in the media for over a decade since the release of his controversial 2002 New York Times Magazine column "What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?". He has appeared in a variety of prominent media outlets over the past few years, most notably Larry King Live!, Reader's Digest and The Dr. Oz Show.

Robb Wolf
Author: The Paleo Solution

Former research biochemist Robb Wolf is one of the world’s leading experts in Paleolithic nutrition and author of the bestselling book The Paleo Solution – The Original Human Diet. A student of Prof. Loren Cordain, author of The Paleo Diet, Robb has transformed the lives of tens of thousands of people around the world via his top ranked iTunes podcast and wildly popular seminar series.

Chris Masterjohn
Author: The Daily Lipid blog

Chris Masterjohn is the author of several Wise Traditions articles and the creator and maintainer of Cholesterol-And-Health.Com hyperlink to Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It!, a website dedicated to extolling the virtues of cholesterol and cholesterol-rich foods, along with his fabulous companion blog called The Daily Lipid.

One of the most brilliant minds in the low-carb/Paleo community, we are honored to have him join us on The Low-Carb Cruise in 2012.

Dr. Jeff Volek
Co-Author: The New Atkins For A New You

Dr. Volek’s primary area of research is focused on physiological adaptations to low carbohydrate diets with emphasis on outcomes related to metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. He primarily uses prospective diet and/or exercise interventions and uses sophisticated cellular techniques to understand changes in adiposity, fatty acid and lipoprotein metabolism, inflammation, vascular function, and endocrine adaptations. Dr. Volek also has interests in sports nutrition including studies evaluating a wide range of dietary supplements such as creatine and carnitine. He has received several million dollars in extramural funding from a variety of corporate and foundation sources. He has served as major or associate advisor of over a dozen doctoral students.

Dr. Volek is co-author of Men's Health TNT Diet, The New Atkins For A New You with fellow low-carb researchers Dr. Eric Westman and Dr. Stephen Phinney, and the brand new 2011 release of The Art And Science Of Low Carbohydrate Living also co-written with Dr. Phinney. Dr. Volek does not just write about his research, he actually uses it. In 2000, he won the Indiana state power lifting championship in the 82.5 kg (181.5 pounds) weight group with the highlight being a 585 pound squat and a 600 pound dead lift. Learn more about Dr. Volek's work at his UConn page.

Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt
Author: Diet Doctor blog

Popularly known in his home country of Sweden as the "Diet Doctor," Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt is one of the leaders of what is known as the LCHF (Low-Carb, High-Fat) movement that is sweeping the Swedish population. This medical doctor's Swedish-language health blog Kostdoktorn is the #1 low-carb blog in the world and his 2011 book Matrevolutionen has remained near the top of the charts for diet/health books there.

Jackie Eberstein, RN
Former Director of Education for The Atkins Center

Jacqueline Eberstein, R.N. began working with Dr. Robert Atkins in 1974. Her previous experience included stints in intensive care and recovery room nursing. As Director of Medical Education at The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine in New York City, she was responsible for the education of medical staff on the principles and protocols of the Atkins Lifestyle. Additionally, she spent many years as a full time practitioner utilizing complementary medicine approaches as practiced by Dr. Robert Atkins.

She designed and ran The Atkins Center’s Modified Diet Program and Atkins Low Carb cruises. She contributed to a number of Dr. Atkins’ books, newsletters, Atkins: A Passion for Healthy Living magazine and appeared regularly as a guest and host on "Your Health Choices," Dr. Atkins syndicated radio program. After closing The Atkins Center in October 2003, she became Director of Nutrition Information at Atkins Health and Medical Information Services for Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. In that capacity she co-authored Atkins Diabetes Revolution (2004) with Dr. Mary Vernon published in 2004 by Harper Collins.

She is presently a consultant working with Veronica Atkins’ personal foundation furthering education in the Atkins Lifestyle and the legacy of Dr. Atkins. She is arguably the world's foremost expert on the Atkins low-carb lifestyle which is why she has been a regular guest speaker on The Low-Carb Cruise for the past four years (and for as long as she wants). Learn more about Jackie's work at Controlled Carbohydrate Nutrition. Listen to Jackie speak in Episode 389 of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show."

Dr. Eric Westman
Co-Author: The New Atkins For A New You
Dr. Eric C. Westman is an Associate Professor of Medicine at Duke University, and Director of the Duke Lifestyle Medicine Clinic. He combines clinical research and clinical care regarding lifestyle treatments for obesity, diabetes, and tobacco dependence. He is internationally known for his work on low-carbohydrate nutrition and co-authored The New Atkins For A New You (2010) with Dr. Jeff Volek and Dr. Stephen Phinney.

He is currently the Vice President of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians and a Fellow of the Obesity Society and the Society of General Internal Medicine. Along with Dr. Mary Vernon, he works directly with physicians teaching them how to implement carbohydrate-restricted diets with their patients through his role as the Chief Medical Officer for Innovative Metabolic Solutions.

Monique Forslund
Author: LifeZone Blog

Monique Forslund grew up in Cape Town, South Africa and has gone through a big change in her life thanks to low-carb, high-fat (LCHF) eating. She transformed her body from a size XXL to small and today she is fit, healthy, full of energy and life is good for her. Monique has not touched bread, flour, rice, potatoes, sugars, sweets, juice, sodas, corn, peas or anything else that is high in carbs and says she has never eaten this well in her entire life.

She is the mother of three beautiful children and lives in Karlstad, Sweden where LCHF is exploding in popularity. Monique has become a passionate champion for promoting healthy eating principles to children and parents alike. She is a certified health coach and Zumba fitness instructor (you'll HAVE to do a Zumba class with Monique on the 2012 Low-Carb Cruise) which she demonstrated on the 2011 Low-Carb Cruise. Learn more about Monique's work at her English blog called "LifeZone" at Lifezone - LCHF hälsa & Zumba Karlstad.

Listen to Monique speak in Episode 12 of "Low-Carb Conversations with Jimmy Moore & Friends."

Dr. John Briffa
Author: Waist Disposal

One of the most prominent voices in support for low-carb nutrition in the UK is naturally-oriented physician, author, podcaster and speaker Dr. John Briffa. His work is dedicated to providing honest and trustworthy holistic health advice that can be used to combat and prevent illness, overcome everyday ailments, enhance energy and bring a greater sense of wellbeing. Dr. Briffa mixes a healthy dose of scientific research along with 20 years of clinical experience and plenty of common sense.

Dr. Briffa is a former columnist for the Daily Mail and the Observer, and is a regular contributor to newspapers and magazines. He is a former recipient of the Health Journalist of the Year award in the UK. He is the author of several books that will give you a more in-depth idea of how to improve your overall health and wellbeing, including Waist Disposal: the Ultimate Fat Loss Manual for Men (rumor has it that he's working on a version of this book for women which he will likely discuss during his lecture of The Low-Carb Cruise in 2012). He recently started his own "A Good Look At Good Health" podcast sharing nutritional truth about healthy low-carb living.

Denise Minger
Author: Raw Food SOS Blog

One of the rising stars in the health blogosphere over the past few years is an adorable young 20-something named Denise Minger from the "Raw Food SOS" blog. She works as a health and fitness writer, tutor, teacher, editor, proofreader, resume writer, and various other freelance occupations but made quite the name for herself in the low-carb/Paleo community in 2010 when she wrote a series of hard-hitting critiques of T. Colin Campbell's much-heralded The China Study book that promotes veganism as a healthy lifestyle.

Tom Naughton
Official Roast Master for The Low-Carb Cruise

He is best-known in the low-carb community as the writer/director of the 2009 comedy-documentary FAT HEAD which gave the message of low-carb living a much-needed comedic shot in the arm. We showed the film on The Low-Carb Cruise in 2010 and Tom's "Science For Smart People" lecture on the 2011 Low-Carb Cruise was the overwhelming hit! We've got a special treat for the cruisers in 2012 when Tom Naughton will do a special roasting of the guest speakers on The 5th Annual Low-Carb Cruise. YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THIS! Learn more about Tom's work at Fat Head - Blog site for the comedy-documentary Fat Head.
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
I hope one day I will be able to go. Please post when you get back and tell us all about it!!!!!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #3

Gallery: flatferenghi
i hope that LC cruise still has one feature that speaks volumes...

THE MIDNIGHT BUFFET!!! Not to mention gambling, and all the other wonderful things to do on a cruise. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoJo404
WOE: PP
Start Date: June 2010
I'm ready!

Sent in my reservation. Looking forward to it!
JoJo404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: houndho
Stats: 232/142/135, 5'9"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 1, 2011
Yes! My deposit is in. This will be my first cruise of any kind.
houndho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MissBeth
Stats: 320/185/140
WOE: Carb Cycling
Start Date: Jan. 19, 2008
Where do I find the info/thread on this cruise? The speakers sound incredible!
MissBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nathan9695
Stats: 365/305/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 26, 2011
I did a search for the cruise and found information but I could not find a list of prices just deposits.
Nathan9695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: errihu
Stats: 290/242/165
WOE: Paleo/Atkins/HCG R2 Jan 4
Start Date: January 25, 2011
Where can I find out more information about the cruise? Can you link me something?
errihu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
Yes Link!
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndho View Post
Yes! My deposit is in. This will be my first cruise of any kind.
its our first cruise too! but we are super excited!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Tyl

Google "Low Carb Cruise Info"

and if you are looking for prices the chart is on the registration page. this is the 5th annual cruise and i really wanted to go last yr.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCWizard
Stats: No More Scale
WOE: No Sugar Added & Persistence
What happens if I missed the June 20th deadline? Does it matter?
LCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Tyl

she just got an 30 day extension from carnival, so u can still get the current group rates!

there is a facebook group with the same name with regular updates.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsMo30
Stats: 279/275/135
WOE: Atkins/Induction
Start Date: 10.10.10
I'm going...really looking forward to it!
MsMo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Tyl

all of us who are going need to do some precruising chatting to get to know one another! can't wait to meet u all!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
I haven't registered yet, but I hope to in the next few weeks.
I'd really like to go on next years cruise!
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Registered and deposit paid! We signed up the day the speaker list was announced. So excited!
Vanessa120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #18

Gallery: fawn
We're going here! You can find it on Jimmy Moore's site
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbWannabe
Stats: 177.4/174.4/116 (5'1")
WOE: JUDDD
Is anyone going by themselves? My husband isn't into low carb or the speakers, and I'd hate to pay the extra money for him to go when he's not going to be involved.
LowCarbWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
THANKS for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to all reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wish I could go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,

Z
zizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: houndho
Stats: 232/142/135, 5'9"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: January 1, 2011
Also google "low carb cruise board" - a message board for it.
houndho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #22

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
OMG!! This sounds so exciting. And to get to meet all these people is beyond great. I just wish I lived closer to TX LOL. I would be going in a heartbeat if I could. LowCarbWannabe--I don't know if my Dh would even be interested either. He loves my low carb cooking and supports me, but to be THAT involved. He would probably not get as excited as me LOL. I would be giddy with excitement at everything going on and the whos that are there and he would probably be bored to tears. Oh, and to be able to meet so many low carb friends-----too fantastic!!! Fawn, Chantyl........wish I could go.

Oh, and I have to add this....when I first came across this thread I thought it said "sneakers" not speakers LOL. I really need to take out my contacts they are quite cloudy!!! gave me a chuckle tonight!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 06-23-2011 at 07:03 PM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
OMG!! This sounds so exciting. And to get to meet all these people is beyond great. I just wish I lived closer to TX LOL. I would be going in a heartbeat if I could. LowCarbWannabe--I don't know if my Dh would even be interested either. He loves my low carb cooking and supports me, but to be THAT involved. He would probably not get as excited as me LOL. I would be giddy with excitement at everything going on and the whos that are there and he would probably be bored to tears. Oh, and to be able to meet so many low carb friends-----too fantastic!!! Fawn, Chantyl........wish I could go.

Oh, and I have to add this....when I first came across this thread I thought it said "sneakers" not speakers LOL. I really need to take out my contacts they are quite cloudy!!! gave me a chuckle tonight!!

Oh, and I have to add this....when I first came across this thread I thought it said "sneakers" not speakers LOL. I really need to take out my contacts they are quite cloudy!!! gave me a chuckle tonight!! p.s. same here, I would LOVE to go and meet other LCer's but someday might go alone and then meet a lot of new friends!!!!!

Last edited by Tilly; 06-23-2011 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: fix spacing
Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #24
Tyl

Quote:

Hey Dawn!!! Long time hun!

BF is coming with me, but probably won't be going to as many (if any) of the little workshops. He eats what i cook but also eats what he buys. He's supportive but its not his thing! LOL. He's going for the cruising!

I was super excited it was leaving out of tx this yr! we're going to drive to houston and have my sister drive up to galveston! can't wait!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsMo30
Stats: 279/275/135
WOE: Atkins/Induction
Start Date: 10.10.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbWannabe View Post
Is anyone going by themselves? My husband isn't into low carb or the speakers, and I'd hate to pay the extra money for him to go when he's not going to be involved.
I'm going alone but i think it would be a nice trip even if he's not involved.
THis is my 2nd cruise alone and you can find stuff to do on board for sure!!
I'm really looking forward the excursions....SCUBA, ATV tour, Snorkeling, Shopping...OMG! I'm getting carried away... LOL
MsMo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMo30 View Post
I'm going alone but i think it would be a nice trip even if he's not involved.
THis is my 2nd cruise alone and you can find stuff to do on board for sure!!
I'm really looking forward the excursions....SCUBA, ATV tour, Snorkeling, Shopping...OMG! I'm getting carried away... LOL
That is good to know that not everyone goes with someone. If I ever go, I imagine it will be alone and I have no doubt it will be a blast!!!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MZOregon
Stats: 283/233/175/?
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 01/31/2011
Quote:

Just as a side FYI....for those of you thinking of going with non lowcarbers...
I have not been on one of these cruises, but have listened to Jimmy Moore's podcasts and low carb conversations. From those, I know that the cruise is not all low carbers. This is just a normal Carnival cruise, with a low carb group onboard. The ship holds several thousand people, and there will be (probably) several hundred low carb guests. The Carnival line will have their regular menu, but will gladly accomdate low carb requests, and may add a few special things in for the low carbers. Steak and chicken are always on cruise menus. I have been on about a dozen cruises, and all that I have been on have a section for those choosing a weight loss menu. That doesn't always fit in with low carb, but often it does. All of the above in consideration, your non lowcarbers will be right at home....and you low carbers will have a blast!!
MZOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #28

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZOregon View Post
I have not been on one of these cruises, but have listened to Jimmy Moore's podcasts and low carb conversations. From those, I know that the cruise is not all low carbers. This is just a normal Carnival cruise, with a low carb group onboard. The ship holds several thousand people, and there will be (probably) several hundred low carb guests. The Carnival line will have their regular menu, but will gladly accomdate low carb requests, and may add a few special things in for the low carbers. Steak and chicken are always on cruise menus. I have been on about a dozen cruises, and all that I have been on have a section for those choosing a weight loss menu. That doesn't always fit in with low carb, but often it does. All of the above in consideration, your non lowcarbers will be right at home....and you low carbers will have a blast!!
yep

There will be plenty for the non low carber to do as well as your shore excursions.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
A cruise is SUCH a great deal in traveling- so much fun and entertainment, great food, casino, dancing, pools, you name it. And I don't even know where this cruise is going! But personally I could float around at sea all day and be happy.
ENJOY everyone!!! Great line up!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZOregon View Post

I agree- I've never had trouble, ever. Lots of SF desserts too. I've always just eaten MORE than usual, ha ha.
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote