Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recommended Reading (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/)
-   -   Gary Taubes Why we get fat (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/720252-gary-taubes-why-we-get-fat.html)

elburn 05-05-2011 08:34 AM

Gary Taubes Why we get fat

I am 50 pages into this book and a bit discouraged. Tell me it gets better? So far I understand exercise has little effect on weight loss, and he seems to indicate we are doomed to be fat if our parents and genes are fat. Also middle age women are predisposed to being obese.
Is there hope?? Does he offer a solution? I would skip ahead but I have the Kindle version and don't know where to skip to--let me know?

2BoysMom 05-05-2011 08:40 AM

yep - he does. Just keep reading - it all builds on itself. It's a great read!

drjlocarb 05-05-2011 02:04 PM

Keep reading. There are no shortcuts in weight loss. :D

shortcut 05-05-2011 03:03 PM

it's a "good news, bad news" thing. He just gives you the bad news first.

Mssarge 05-05-2011 06:47 PM

It's definitely worth it...however, Tobysgirl posted Taubes lecture on a recent post... http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...-new-hero.html that is really worth watching. I did, then instantly bought the book and am highlighting the parts I want to remember...watching the video (it's long, over an hour) is well woth the time...

Mary in SoCal

Contributor 05-05-2011 06:54 PM

I ordered this book the other week, looking forward to reading it.

Domino 05-05-2011 11:21 PM

LOL! :D I've read it cover to cover. Parts of it I've read a couple times. I plan on reading it cover to cover a few more times before I'm done. I found this book on accident, by total chance, while at the library a couple months ago. It's what set me on this low carb way.

DON'T SKIP AHEAD. Trust me, you want to read every single word. The way I looked at the exercise thing (once I was done reading it) was that now I know I don't *have* to kill myself at the gym or at home trying to "burn off" all that weight!! You can't imagine what a liberating thing that was for me. I've had severe (VERY SEVERE) allergies and asthma, along with back problems, for pretty much my entire life. I can exercise, but it is SO hard for me to do it. I don't have to! I don't have to kill myself trying to burn off millions of calories so I can be thin-- I just have to give up most carbs! THAT is the bright spot in all this. You're just not seeing the whole picture yet.

The really ironic thing about all of this-- and I can't say for sure yet if its the LC life, or just coincidence-- but since I've been doing this my allergies are greatly improved, as is my asthma. I have more energy, I actually want to go out and do things I didn't used to. Unfortunately I'm still recovering from ankle surgery, so I can't. But I will! Soon!

clackley 05-06-2011 07:18 AM

Domino, AWESOME!!!:kicking::clap::high5:

Jennifer Eloff 05-06-2011 07:25 AM

I agree, Domino - that is awesome! Happy for you!

I have not read the book and I agree with the OP that that would be a little depressing to hear to say the least, but knowing Gary Taubes, he will offer a solution. ;) Keep reading.

Being a middle-aged woman is tough on the body - hormones really wreak havoc and make it very difficult to lose weight, let alone thyroid isssues that many of us have as well. We have to work twice as hard, some of us.

zipp2play 05-06-2011 08:31 AM

I have read the book. Me, I found it a tough/boring read. Now, I completely agreed and appreciated what all was said, but it was very technical at times. Still, good to read and the light bulb went off in my head numerous times while I was reading it.

I am a runner and a gym rat. I have trained for 2 half marathons and the whole time burning all those calories, I didn't lose weight. Now I toned up really nicely. But I didn't get super skinny. I used to always joke that apparently I loved eating more than I did running. Well after reading his book, I know that it wasn't me. No amount of calorie cutting was going to work. I tried it all and was hungry all the time.

franciejones 05-06-2011 08:34 AM

That video was removed....I am sad now.

Domino 05-06-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franciejones (Post 14623195)
That video was removed....I am sad now.

It's a great Vid, I watched it last night. It's stlll available on youtube. Here's a link:
Try searching "Gary Taubes" on youtube, there's several other vids too.

franciejones 05-06-2011 10:48 AM

YAY..thank you very much

elburn 05-07-2011 09:02 AM

So, I finished reading this most excellent book. I love the historical review of the science. I am of the baby boomer generation and so all I know is the calories in /calories out mentality. I grew up during the low fat era and exercise more movement. Remember the running emphasis and Jane Fonda aerobics? Now I understand this time period is a blimp and abnormal to the rest of science historically. Taubes did not mention it in the book, and perhaps I am a suspicious person--but I like to "follow the money". The low fat/high carb movement benefits the food lobbyist. I now understand I have a bigger reason to be successful--long term health. And truly ONE BITE DOES HURT!" I recommend this book to anyone wanting to know the background and sound reasoning behind LC.

shirlc 05-07-2011 09:06 AM

A most excellent summerization!:clap:

satina 05-07-2011 11:41 AM

Marking my spot to I can watch the video later

Sunny7 05-07-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satina (Post 14625963)
Marking my spot to I can watch the video later

me too

jdennysgirl 05-29-2011 09:33 PM

Me three

sloppail 05-29-2011 09:54 PM

me also

lynnport 05-29-2011 11:21 PM

Me too.

Key Tones 05-29-2011 11:36 PM

He has appearances posted on his blog as well - garytaubes.com, click on "media."

eastbruce 05-30-2011 09:16 AM

I listened to his book on audio - it was not a "quick" or light read, but well worth concentrating on the info. I listened to many parts several times before I "got" the point.

mark 05-30-2011 09:08 PM

Oddly enough I read it backwards? I started at the end and read it chapter for chapter to the beginning. I have never done that before, but I was looking for more information on what to eat, but it sucked me in and I had to know the why part also.

fieldofroses1 05-30-2011 11:18 PM

I read the book and loved it, what I got out of it was to watch my fruit intake, even the acceptable one's in OWL. I have PCOS and and I have to diligintly watch my carbs so my insulin doesn't get out of hand. I realized from reading his book that fructose affects everyone differently and I have to watch my fruit intake. its a great book, keep reading you'll get something out it

LCinSC 05-31-2011 07:02 AM

Great comments everyone! I recently read an article which made me interested in his book, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Time to see if the library has it. :)