Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recommended Reading (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/)
-   -   What's better for your mood than chocolate??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/714789-whats-better-your-mood-than-chocolate.html)

ravenrose 03-23-2011 09:37 AM

What's better for your mood than chocolate???

You have probably heard about the positive effects dark chocolate has on the brain, triggering things that make a person happier, a bit like being in love... and I think many people enjoy that part of eating chocolate as well as the lovely flavor and the healthy phytonutrients.

but DID YOU KNOW (because I sure didn't) that research shows that one big genuine heartfelt smile actually triggers as much brain stimulation as 2000 chocolate bars? the same research shows that that smile is more positive stimulation than receiving a LOT of money would be.

Many of us have problems in life, of course, and many have habits of eating to dull the pain of life. We need to remember to SMILE MORE. It's healthier in every way, and unlike eating actually contributes to solving the problems, not making them worse.

It's clear from brain research that smiling actually makes you happier. It's not just a result of being happy, it's a cause too. what a nice cycle!

And smiles are just as contagious as yawns. When people see a genuine smile they are inclined to smile themselves, which improves their moods.

Think how much nicer the world would be if even 20% more of the people you encounter are feeling great at the time!

Only 30% of the population smiles more than 20 times a day. Holy cow! That seems very low to me. and the poor other 70%... how could life be so dim that they smile LESS than 20 times a day? small children smile about 400 times a day, which is why being around them makes YOU smile so much. be like those kids. smile at everyone!

The article in Forbes I took this stuff from says "Smiling has documented therapeutic effects, and has been associated with: reduced stress hormone levels (like cortisol, adrenaline, and dopamine), increased health and mood enhancing hormone levels (like endorphins), and lowered blood pressure.

"If that’s not enough, smiling also makes us look good in the eyes of others. A recent Penn State University study confirmed that when we smile we not only appear more likeable and courteous, but we’re actually perceived to be more competent."

If you want to read it, look for the column by Eric Savitz at Forbes.

lterry913 03-23-2011 09:43 AM

Chocolate makes me smile :)

Calidreamer 03-23-2011 09:48 AM

:up::up: What a great post to start the day! :up::up:

Thank you!

LJB 03-23-2011 09:49 AM

Cheese makes me really SMILE!:D

John Paulson 03-23-2011 09:50 AM

Well me bad I was thinking more dirty thoughts - Hey maybe that will make someone smile and skip the chocolate today. Still ya that is some good thoughts. Try smile more tomorrow.

rose1 03-23-2011 09:51 AM

What a wonderful column. Thanks for posting. :hugs:

dawnyama 03-23-2011 09:55 AM

You mean there really is something better than chocolate????!!! I totally thought you would be joking :rofl::rofl::rofl: I can not think of ONE thing better :hyst::hyst: But I think my diet would surely be better off if I did try to smile more instead of indulging!! Thanks for posting!!

BeLove 03-23-2011 10:01 AM

Thanks for the post Ravenrose. That's a wonderful thing to be reminded of. I think I'll put a post-it note reminder on my PC - "Smile!". :)

Rose1271 03-23-2011 10:01 AM

Great post! Thank you. :D

“Never frown, because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile.”

Cuthbert 03-23-2011 10:31 AM

I'd like to run a controlled experiment. First, someone please give me a LOT of money and we'll see how that goes for a bit. :)
What can I say, I love science.

kornrealtor 03-23-2011 11:31 AM

Skinny would be better for my mood than chocolate!!!!!!!!

granolamom 03-23-2011 11:33 AM

Nice post :)

afuentes 03-23-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornrealtor (Post 14497356)
Skinny would be better for my mood than chocolate!!!!!!!!

I so agree! I have no control over it at all. :blush: I like dark chocolate and can control that but don't enjoy it as much as milk chocolate.

b_lou_who 03-23-2011 01:15 PM

thanks for sharing that...reminds me to smile at other drivers around town, smile at the store, smile at strangers, and smile at loved ones instead of thinking I can freely share negatively...:)

mcneilnomore 03-23-2011 01:16 PM

Well I totally thought of something better than chocolate :D and that made me smile. So, thanks. ;)

Gweebles 03-23-2011 01:19 PM

It wasn't chocolate for me or a smile that started my day good. It was a pile of newborn kittens on my front porch! My kitty had her babies and I LOVE KITTENS! lol.

msgirl 03-23-2011 01:59 PM

That was an awesome article!!!! Thanks for sharing it!

kat819 03-23-2011 02:05 PM

What makes gyou smile?

My dog wagging his tail because he's so happy to see me, even if I've only been gone out the door thirty seconds. :)

ReneeD70 03-23-2011 04:10 PM

I only know one thing I like better than chocolate but it's doesn't have anything to do with low carbing=)
But I love the whole smile idea.
It's true! Smiles are contagious. People always ask why I am so happy. It's not that I am deliriously happy, I just choose to smile despite my troubles. We are truly blessed and don't even realize it!

EveH 03-23-2011 04:55 PM

My day is brighter when I smile at someone and they smile back. It just could be that may be the first time they have smiled in ages. I was sick for a very long time and I smiled one day at something on the TV and I realized I was on my way back. You don't realize how important a smile is until you lose yours for a while. You may help someone find theirs. You never know. Smile!

kimmarie 03-23-2011 05:12 PM

I spend all day seeing patients in nursing homes. I always make an affort to smile and say hi to the elderly folks sitting in the hallways. They almost always smile back, and often will chat wth me. Some have very little social interaction, and I know it brightens their day (and mine too).

hockey_gal 03-23-2011 08:22 PM

Thanks so much for this. As one of the 70% that smile less than 20 times a day...I'd have to say it's just habit for me. I lost my front tooth at age 5 and didn't get it back until I was 14...so I felt so gawky that I rarely smiled. Add to that very depressing teenager years (every one of them w/braces) and you have a recipe for NO smiling. I'm going to make an effort to smile every time I remember!!!

I appreciate the reminder :) :)

Deanne

Feelin'Great! 03-23-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnyama (Post 14496952)
You mean there really is something better than chocolate????!!!

John seems to think so!!! :rofl:

starry sky 03-24-2011 12:15 AM

Smiling is a great way to brighten someone's day! Thanks for sharing!:)

kbeth 03-24-2011 10:20 AM

Thank you for this! It was lovely!

And gweebles, nothing makes me happier than a pile of kittens, either!! Enjoy!

Jennyl 03-24-2011 01:50 PM

I really miss chocolate

Yojakeen 04-01-2011 08:47 PM

My daughter makes me smile so much that my cheeks hurt. I tend to be a negative person so sometimes it is hard. But practice makes perfect. Thanks ravenrose.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK 04-08-2011 04:40 AM

Excellent post.

Smiling has profound effects on everyone.

http://media.picfor.me/001FFA65/word...rena_large.jpg