Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #121
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't believe for one minute that he will give GT a fair shake at all. I will be watching and hope I am pleasantly surprised. Whether I like it or not, I think he has some pretty big influence on a large audience.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #122
IDT
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: IDT
Stats: 152/139/125 5'6"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Atkins 2004
love this book. GCBC is my favorite but I can't get anyone to read it. this is a better one for me to force on people LOL
IDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bsuzy
Stats: 165/141/125
I have to get my hands on this book, I am finishing up Good Calories Bad Calories. Thanks for the reviews everyone!
bsuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KimKS
Stats: 242/181.4/145 (5'10")
WOE: Hcg/now JUDDD
Start Date: May 2012/Mar 2014
I love this book!

I have been looking around the forum and decided I had to join so that I can say how much I love Gary Taube's new book! It is amazing! It makes me want to tell everyone I know to read it. I keep reading/explaining parts to my husband and he listens patiently - lol. I am just so excited about it!

Gary does a great job of explaining the effect of carbs on the body. He explains it in totally understandable terms. I love it!

The last book I read was The New ME Diet and that started me thinking about going low carb. Why We Get Fat has sealed the deal. I'm ready to make this a permanent thing.

Loving the forum - thanks for all the great info!

Kim
KimKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
Start Date: June 2004

I have my copy of the book lent out (again!) Very easy to understand the influence of insulin on the body and it's long term effects. Have you tried reading Good Calories,Bad Calories? A bit wordy but a great reference book.
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #126
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Odirom
Stats: 430/390/310
WOE: Primal Carnavore (20g or less a day,minimal fiber)
Start Date: July 1, 2010
Read it, absorbing the guide.

WINNING!
Odirom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
Like first book but shorter and with great poignant explanations of chlorestrol and other medical issues I downloaded it to my iPad using the kindle app.
Cats for Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Contributor
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2011
I just ordered this on ebay as well as "Eat fat get thin". Can't wait.
Contributor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
I just came across this last week and finished watching it last night. WOW, great speaker and so interesting. I really learned a lot. I think most of it, if I shared the info with my family or friends, would get me some really weird looks- but then again I'm not doing this for them!
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Just bought the audiobook and have been listening to GT while at my office!
His stories about the Pima tribe and obesity were so interesting and yet so tragic. I am actually excited to get to the office tomorrow to learn more.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oldionus
Stats: 221/170/170
WOE: Common sense carb reduction, avoid starch & sugar
Start Date: May 23, 2011
I read both, and they're both good, for different purposes.

Taubes actually explains quite clearly why he wrote this book after GCBC. The first book fits in as a piece with his entire career, which is mostly as a writer debunking bad science. This book is more of a primer on why low-carbohydrate diets work and make medical and health sense for the majority of people who experience even very moderate weight problems. Good one to pass on to your doctor, too, if he or she's a skeptic; my doctor wouldn't even try to read the first one.

Last edited by oldionus; 06-17-2011 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: to remove sexist pronoun
oldionus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #132
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zapped
Stats: 197/169/160
WOE: Duke Diet from Taubes' Why We Get Fat
Start Date: Apr 2011
I realize I'm bumping a thread that's a couple of months old, but I didn't think my question warranted a new topic.

A few years back when I first encountered best sellers like Protein Power, The South Beach Diet, and Atkin's Diet Revolution, I settled on Dan & Mary Eades' Protein Power as my personal favorite. I read it carefully and spent some time taking measurements, calculating Lean Body Mass, calculating required protein intake, compiling food logs, and totaling my macronutrient and caloric intake from those logs. As an engineer by trade I didn't mind this work at the time.

Earlier this year when I read WWGF(and later GCBC) I was really taken aback by the simplicity of the "Duke Diet" that Gary itemizes, almost as an afterthought, in the Appendix of WWGF. No difficult calculations, no food diary required, sanctioned and unsanctioned foods clearly specified - and it prints on just a few pages.

Unless I simply fail at using the search engine here, I don't see the "Duke Diet" mentioned that often in these forums. Is it simply that other best-sellers are more popular, or is there something that people think is missing and/or wrong about what Gary Taubes presents in the Appendix of WWGF?
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/201/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
I haven't read WWGF, though I read GCBC when it came out. Does the "Duke Diet" refer to the in-patient weight-loss program at Duke University? If so, this is something new to me.

For decades, Duke put patients on a high-carb, low-fat, low-cal diet that became known as the Rice Diet. Apparently, they no longer use it, or they've added others to their repertoire. From their site:

Quote:
What nutrition plans does the Diet & Fitness Center offer?

The Diet & Fitness Center (DFC) offers a variety of healthy nutrition plans. Our dieticians work with each client to determine their individual needs and interests and to choose a plan that will work best. The DFC offers a traditional low-fat plan, a very-low-carbohydrate plan, and a moderate-carbohydrate plan.
-- Duke Diet and Fitness Center FAQ

I didn't see any specifics about their VLC diet on their site. I googled "Duke University Low Carb" and got a number of hits that indicate they've done quite a shift in the last decade. One of their researchers, Dr. Eric Westman, was one of the authors of the latest Atkins book.

I found one document on the site of a private clinic that claims it's from the Duke Univ program, but I don't see any verification: denversdietdoctor.com/duke_low_carb_menu_planning.pdf Does this look like what's in the appendix of WWGF?