Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recommended Reading (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/)
-   -   Good books to read??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/696399-good-books-read.html)

micheleredit 10-26-2010 08:38 AM

Good books to read???

Kinda over t.v. Nothing on anymore. Weather is getting colder and wetter and snow will be here sooner rather than later. Boooo!!!
Anyone have any good ideas for books related to low carbing that would be good reads?? I love to keep myself motivated. So far low carbing wise I've only gotten through Dr Atkins new book. Love it!!!! Time to read more!!!

Thanks guys!!!

fawn 10-26-2010 10:12 AM

The Primal Blueprint
The Diet Cure
The Paleo Solution
Know Your Fats
The Vegetarian Myth
Digestive Wellness
The Vitamin D Cure
Cereal Killer

kat819 10-26-2010 10:28 AM

Good Calories, Bad Calories
Protein Power

ravenrose 10-26-2010 10:28 AM

Living Low Carb by Jonny Bowden is awesome

The Fat Resistance Diet by Leo Galland

The 6-Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle by the Eades

micheleredit 10-26-2010 11:00 AM

Thanks guys!!!! Maybe I'll have to stock up. That will give me something to do all Winter!!!

Tonkasmama25 10-26-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocal (Post 14031969)
very useful thread.

I agree! My mom wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas and I couldn't think of anything. Now I've got a whole list!

clackley 10-27-2010 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kat819 (Post 14029958)
Good Calories, Bad Calories

^^^^THIS!!!

TaDa! 10-27-2010 04:52 AM

I am going to list some books that have been motivational and inspirational! not just diet books .. They are not necessarily lowcarb, and I am not following the plans in these at all .. but from each of these books I gained some insight into myself and motivation to keep moving forward! All are available at Amazon - the Venuto book is an actual book, not an e-book like his first one.

The marathon book .. well, I do not run marathons or anything like them .. lately I have not even been running, lol! but it is an amazing read and insight into the kind of motivation it takes a person to do amazing things .. Like the other books, this is a book, I could get off the shelf and enjoy reading again and again to help get my mojo back ...

From Chunk to Hunk, Diary of a Fat Man by Fred Anderson

The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscles, Ending Emotional Eating, and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight by Tom Venuto

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes

These are all off the top of my head! I have read a few other personal weightloss journey-type books but none of which grabbed me like Chunk did ... I read a lot, and if I think of any other ones I can recommend without reservation, I will post for you!

:love:

Pauline

micheleredit 10-27-2010 06:21 AM

Thanks hon all of these sound great!!!!!!!! I may just have to look into these!!!

KellBell1234 10-27-2010 06:37 AM

lots of good ideas! I have one more to add:

How I gave up my low fat diet and lost 40 pounds -by Dana Carpender

micheleredit 10-27-2010 06:58 AM

Wowo I think I am hanging out on Amazon tonight LOL

TaDa! 10-29-2010 05:36 PM

Michele I just started another really fascinating one! It is called Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink, the head of a food psychology laboratory detailing how various specific things we do will make us eat more without actually choosing to do so and how to kind of reverse engineer our life and lifestyle .. appropriate to all food plans. Anyhow, I am thinking of doing a presentation on it to a weightloss group I belong to. I literally just started reading - on chapter 2, but already the studies on eating at the cinema and the effect of wine labels on a diner's food quantity are really eye-opening. Could be really good for upping our awareness of the circumstances affecting much of your eating - things marketers, restaurants, product packaging, etc take into account when trying to make us eat their product ...

Here is a video I found on his website ... the book is quite readable and entertaining (imho!): Mindless Eating

teri f 10-31-2010 02:55 AM

I second Fawn's list, especially the Vegetarian Myth. Would add Good Calories Bad Calories and Primal Body Primal Mind.

jezzie 10-31-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaDa! (Post 14041080)

It is called Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink, the head of a food psychology laboratory
detailing how various specific things we do will make us eat more without actually choosing
to do so and how to kind of reverse engineer our life and lifestyle .. appropriate to all food plans.

Ditto.

I thought enough of this book to buy two more copies (for others).
The power of the mind. Behaviorism just fascinates me.

TaDa! 10-31-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jezzie (Post 14043724)
Ditto.

I thought enough of this book (Mindless Eating by Wansink) to buy two more copies (for others). The power of the mind. Behaviorism just fascinates me.

I have to say I am a little farther into it then when I posted the recommendation and it exceeds my expectations! Great great book!! Explains a little bit about how circumstances trick us into eating more - and feeling the same level of satisfaction if we eat less. It even goes into our body's concept of satiation, explaining why the idea of intuitive eating cannot always work ... and how to be mindful of these things so you can try to fix that for yourself. Eye opening!

mrsadm 10-31-2010 06:02 AM

"Food Rules" by Michael Pollan
"The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross - how supplements can help with food cravings - works for me!

jezzie 10-31-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsadm (Post 14043850)

"Food Rules" by Michael Pollan

Bought only two copies of this one. lol.

If I had only one 'what to eat' guide ...
this would be it.

tamari 10-31-2010 10:22 AM

Lots of good suggestions here so far. I second The Primal Blueprint, Good Calories Bad Calories, and anything by Michael Pollan. Another good one that's not necessarily about LC but about the intersection of food, business, and government is Food Politics, by Marion Nestle. Also, Eating Animals is an excellent book about the current state of factory farming and meat production. The author is vegetarian, so it's not unbiased, but is a must read for anyone interested in food and animal welfare.

MSN08 10-31-2010 10:29 AM

Trick and Treat by Barry Groves!!!

LowCarbLea 10-31-2010 03:42 PM

Primal Blueprint
Good Calories Bad Calories

jezzie 11-01-2010 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamari (Post 14044421)

Also, Eating Animals is an excellent book about the current state of factory farming
and meat production. The author is vegetarian, so it's not unbiased, but is a must
read for anyone interested in food and animal welfare.

Thanks tamari ... This is new to me ... I will check it out.

Salamander 11-01-2010 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=ravenrose;14029960]Living Low Carb by Jonny Bowden is awesome

ITA with this one-
Also, the Atkins '72 book! (bought used from Amazon) I love seeing how his plan has evolved from then to now.

brillo1 11-04-2010 01:50 AM

Look Here As Well

You should look at this site SupaSwap for books on low carb if you have any of your own you have finished with you can swap them out with other members

Hope this helps