LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MAG074
Stats: 398 --> 325 ( 73lbs down )
WOE: Low Carb ( Aktins / EFGT like )
Start Date: re-Start 4/9/2010
Good Calories Bad Calories - By Gary Taubes

For decades we have been taught that fat is a one way ticket to a premature heart attack. We were marketed margarine with polyunsaturated fats. They promised to be heart healthy. Butter was replaced by Parkay. You remember those commercials with the talking fake butter bucket. Is butter and red meat really a one way ticket to a heart attack?

Gary Taubes book “Good Calories Bad Calories” reveals in detail why the low fat high carb dietary approach is not only wrong but increasing the epidemic of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.

It's a must read.

Please feel free to discuss the book in this thread.
MAG074 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I'm pretty hard core about this stuff, but I didn't make it all the way through that book.

Someone did a good summary of it here http://higher-thought.net/wp-content...d-Calories.pdf

I am crossing my fingers there are no ads in that... I can't see any but I guess there are a lot of ads on the internet which are invisible to me.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
I read it last month and it was the thing that finally convinced my stubborn brain that there might be a way to live without french fries and popcorn. I've been teaching a mini course on biochemistry for years at a massage school and I never put it all together until I read Gary's book.

I feel like I just started a new life after reading this book. There have been very few books in my life that have had such a profound influence on me.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I just started reading it and so far I really, really liking it. Hubby read a page and told me it was way too dry for him. We both read and liked Fast Food Nation. That is also a very good read on the food industry.

I am only on chapter 1 so maybe this is covered in the book - but I'd be interested to see why in the 1970s every thing turned around. I mean, the turnaround from low carb to low fat was SO quick, SO decisive that I can't believe there isn't a catalyst somewhere...

Deanne
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweet irony
Stats: 335/290/160 --5'8˝"
WOE: <50g carbs a day/grain free
Start Date: August '10
It is a little dry. I caught myself fading out a couple times. But Gary is a good science writer and he made it as interesting as it could have been IMO.

Once you get out of the Fat Hypothesis part and into the Carb Hypothesis part you'll see how the change happened so fast. The last couple chapters do a great summary. Your husband might be able to get into that more easily.
sweet irony is offline   Reply With Quote