Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online along with Atkins
Start Date: September 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesSuperCool View Post
Until I started a low carb diet.

snipped

Even double blind studies have been disproven after more studies are done.

Not in the case of the sugar and hyperactivity/ADD debate. All the studies done so far show no relationship between sugar and ADD.

Last edited by kristina; 02-12-2010 at 03:22 PM..
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
Quote:
which are both anecdotal stories of our experiences,
I am at peace with anecdotal.

Have you checked into amino acid therapy for your ADD?
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #33

What is that?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 14, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina View Post
Not in the case of the sugar and hyperactivity/ADD debate. All the studies done so far show no relationship between sugar and ADD.
And I wasn't just referring to sugar and hyperactivity. I was talking about carbs and hyperactivity. What sugars did they test? I haven't seen any information on restriction of carbs on hyperactive children. If you're restricting their ho hos but not their tater tots they are still getting sugar.

And what way are the children hyperactive in those studies? My daughter is hyperactive because she has a sensory processing disorder. There are other reasons a child may have hyperactivity, not just ADHD. It's not just some chemical hyperactive children are missing. It's not so easy to diagnose. My daughter has been in the dx process for two years now and they still aren't sure if it's true hyperactivity or just reactive to her auditory processing issues. She doesn't seem to have an attention deficit despite being distracted by her auditory issues, but she is no doubt dealing with significant hyperactivity at this time.

It's not exactly a simple subject to test, and there's enough anecdotal evidence in my life that simple carbs including table sugar MAY affect a child with ADHD (I have no idea about ADD, because I'm talking about various types of hyperactivity.)
Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #35

They purely tested sugar and children it seems. Anything with sugar would qualify for the studies they did, I imagine? Tater tots don't have sugar. They didn't test carbs, per se, they tested just sugar. Ok, maybe they should test potatoes and other carbs. Maybe they have ?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #36

Last edited by kristina; 02-12-2010 at 07:16 PM..
Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #37

Quote:
And I wasn't just referring to sugar and hyperactivity. I was talking about carbs and hyperactivity. What sugars did they test?I haven't seen any information on restriction of carbs on hyperactive children.If you're restricting their ho hos but not their tater tots they are still getting sugar.And what way are the children hyperactive in those studies?My daughter is hyperactive because she has a sensory processing disorder.There are other reasons a child may have hyperactivity, not just ADHD. It's not just some chemical hyperactive children are missing.It's not so easy to diagnose.My daughter has been in the dx process for two years now and they still aren't sure if it's true hyperactivity or just reactive to her auditory processing issues. She doesn't seem to have an attention deficit despite being distracted by her auditory issues, but she is no doubt dealing with significant hyperactivity at this time.It's not exactly a simple subject to test, and there's enough anecdotal evidence in my life that simple carbs including table sugar MAY affect a child with ADHD (I have no idea about ADD, because I'm talking about various types of hyperactivity.)
Oh, sure there are other reasons for a child being hyper. they listed a few when we were diagnosing my son, and we checked them out. High levels of lead can be one cause, as can trouble at home, or other factors, as you said.

I hope your daughter is getting the help she needs. my son sure didn't
Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Looweewoo
Stats: 420/275/220 - 6'2"
WOE: Carnivore/T2 Diabetic
Start Date: Restart@350 09/17/09 The best is yet to come!
Quote:
The fact that sugar doesn't cause hyperactivity is all OVER the web.
For decades the fact that saturated fat caused heart disease was all you could find.

I don't think sugar causes hyperactivity, but I also don't think that these studies prove anything at all. I know that sugar or a high carb meal will cause me to behave differently. I don't see why it shouldn't happen with children too, but that doesn't mean it "causes hyperactivity", especially since we haven't defined "hyperactivity" very well.

See the video, "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" for the biochemical link between the metabolizing of alcohol and fructose (one half of "sugar"). It's towards the end.
Looweewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, sure there are other reasons for a child being hyper. they listed a few when we were diagnosing my son, and we checked them out. High levels of lead can be one cause, as can trouble at home, or other factors, as you said.

I hope your daughter is getting the help she needs. my son sure didn't
I have made it my main focus in life to make sure she gets that help. The people who have to give it fight me every step of the way, from her doctors to her insurance to the school system.

Her big sister didn't get the help she needed either, so I understand. When I was younger I didn't realize how hard it was. I just took the educated peoples' word as truth and did what I was told. If I'd done that this time my little girl never would have gotten any help because all her doctor ever said was, "Oh she'll probably grow out of it!"

I truly do believe the overfeeding of simple processed carbs is affecting our children's health negatively. It may not be granulated sugar or cup cake sugar or fruit juice sugar but if a potato affects your body like a candy bar (and for some of us it definitely does) then why not do studies with a true low carb diet, not just with a rejection of sugary treats?

Who allows their children to be studied like this (in double blind tests, where you don't know what's being done) anyway? That's always confounded me. And how do they know the kids aren't getting treats elsewhere? I guess I should look more into this stuff if I want to talk about it with any authority! lol
ShesSuperCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

BTW one major help has been therapeutic listening therapy with Vitalsounds CDs on the recommended Sennheiser headphones, an hour a day. The CDs are modified to stimulate parts of the brain. A lot of parents have had luck with treating hyperactivity with the CDs.
You have to have an OT prescribe them but if your son was in therapy maybe you could ask:
Vital Links
Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
Referring to # 3 & 4. Sugar can make the children's teacher nutso!
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #42

this thread has so many misconceptions, but people are going to believe what they're going to believe no matter what, it seems.

It's just too bad that substances get blamed. That makes treatment for ADD that much more difficult
Old 02-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #43

I really wish this thread hadn't been moved

Anyway, but, is it sugar? Are you a teacher? What types of behaviors have you noticed in relation to sugar?

I hope this isn't threadjacking, but......this is when my ADD shows up the most.

I have a full house right now, and I'm goin' nuts Lots of family talking, a dinner to be made, and things just going on all over the place. I am so scattered, I can barely think. It's FUN, but very distracting. I keep escaping to the bedroom and the computer for a little bit of peace. I'm wondering if that's what kids are reacting to in a classroom situation, instead of what they're eating. I remember K and 1st grade. Stuff all OVER the place, people walking in the halls with our door open. Very distracting, and my teacher always wrote on my report cards: Would be such a good student, but she needs to pay attention and apply herself.

*sigh* Didn't bother me then, but to read them now sure tells my story.

Last edited by kristina; 02-13-2010 at 12:32 PM..
Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Kristina maybe you should check around for double blind studies relating to overstimulation and hyperactivity.

As for me, it's not just about "believing what I want to believe". My little girl loved eating high carb food and it was easier to prepare and get her to eat it. But I KNOW it had a negative affect on her, especially when it came to being distracted and hyperactive behavior. I'm talking high simple carb food, not just sugary foods.

You know they recently came out with a major study "proving" that antidepressants don't really work? And yet I know many people who have been helped, and it's not just a placebo effect because they had to try out various meds with various results. I personally take Zoloft for severe anxiety. I don't think they tested the effects of anti-depressants on anxiety, but they will pry my zoloft from my cold dead hands because I KNOW I went from panic attacks two and three times a day to almost never. My life has changed completely in the past year. I was depressed and now I'm not, but not having panic attacks daily surely has lifted my spirits! lol

No, I can't just put my faith in scientific studies. Even double blind studies. There have been far too many cases of corrupted results (ie: Monsanto, RJ Reynolds, etc.). Sometimes you have to go with your gut. Sugar may not have ANY impact on your ADD. It may not have any effect on some already hyperactive children. But I know I've seen plenty anecdotal evidence (I was a TA in special needs classes for years) that overstimulation can have MANY causes. And I don't think it's as simple as handing a child a cupcake and watching that child then bounce off walls. We KNOW blood sugar levels affect our emotions and triggers migraines in some people and over a hundred other dangerous issues. We KNOW this. So why wouldn't it be suspect in hyperactivity in some children?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #45

I pretty much have googled myself to death trying to find information on studies

Overstimulation can come in a classroom as I described my experiences. You helping with school, you've seen the boards and classrooms literally litered with stuff all over the walls. How stimulating is THAT? I know it bothered me, I can still remember it

People are going to believe what they want to believe, no matter what. If someone believes that sugar causes hyperactivity, then they're going to believe it no matter what.

Last edited by kristina; 02-14-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #46

I forgot to add that that last sentence includes me
Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #47

Sure wish this could be moved back to the ML.

I think the thread's dying as no one knows it's over here.

*sigh*
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #48

Gallery: SweetPoison2
Stats: 246/232/180
WOE: DASH Diet & HHCG
Start Date: June 09
Great thread though, K. Very informative and interesting!
SweetPoison2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #49

Yep
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

I'd think it's dying because you don't care what anyone says, you know the Truth, and whoever doesn't agree you see them as "believing whatever they want to believe".
It comes off as rude in my opinion.

I don't believe eating a high carb diet may cause some hyperactivity in some people. I have seen it. I know it's true. I don't WANT it to be true. It doesn't make things easier I tell you that much. It sucks telling my little girl no all the time, but I KNOW better. I know simple carbs affect HER and cause her to be jittery. It's not caffeine, it's not red dye or additives. It's the carbs. Food journaling for four years now has made it plain enough. I don't care what studies aren't showing you. I care that there are no studies on the subject, and I care that you dismiss my opinion as just clinging to what you think is a misconception.

Personally I think they haven't DONE studies with low carb diets, just sugar. They haven't done them so there's no results to reject. There's no results to cheer. They don't exist, so I go by my own research, and there I stand until proven otherwise. It's the only way I can treat my daughter effectively.

Before low carb she slept a few hours at a time. After, she sleeps at least six.
Before low carb she had finger tapping and some hand flapping, now she doesn't.
Before low carb she couldn't sit still without a weighted vest and a 2 pound weighted snake plushie on her lap.
Now she can stay focused. No meds, no vests, just a regular five year old activity level, which is still high, but NORMAL.

If there are no studies, oh well. I've done mine and that's all I am saying on this subject.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ozdancer
Stats: 235/148.5/148-143
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: now: 21 March 2009 last time: April 2002
Cyndi, so glad you've had such wonderful results with LC for your DD. KUTGW!
ozdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #52

Quote:
I'd think it's dying because you don't care what anyone says, you know the Truth, and whoever doesn't agree you see them as "believing whatever they want to believe".
It comes off as rude in my opinion.

I don't believe eating a high carb diet may cause some hyperactivity in some people. I have seen it. I know it's true. I don't WANT it to be true. It doesn't make things easier I tell you that much. It sucks telling my little girl no all the time, but I KNOW better. I know simple carbs affect HER and cause her to be jittery. It's not caffeine, it's not red dye or additives. It's the carbs. Food journaling for four years now has made it plain enough. I don't care what studies aren't showing you. I care that there are no studies on the subject, and I care that you dismiss my opinion as just clinging to what you think is a misconception.

Personally I think they haven't DONE studies with low carb diets, just sugar. They haven't done them so there's no results to reject. There's no results to cheer. They don't exist, so I go by my own research, and there I stand until proven otherwise. It's the only way I can treat my daughter effectively.

Before low carb she slept a few hours at a time. After, she sleeps at least six.
Before low carb she had finger tapping and some hand flapping, now she doesn't.
Before low carb she couldn't sit still without a weighted vest and a 2 pound weighted snake plushie on her lap.
Now she can stay focused. No meds, no vests, just a regular five year old activity level, which is still high, but NORMAL.

If there are no studies, oh well. I've done mine and that's all I am saying on this subject.
Wow. there is NO reason for that much anger.

Ya know, to be honest, I am giving my personal experience with sugar and carbs and how they affect me. They might effect someone else, but they seriously have no effect on my energy level or concentration. I wish to God that it did. I would love to be able to follow through with things and finish things and be organized in my brain.

Last edited by kristina; 02-22-2010 at 10:30 PM..
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #53

Quote:
I wish to God that it did. I would love to be able to follow through with things and finish things and be organized in my brain.
I think you might really benefit from L-Tyrosine. Put your energy into that.....I hate to see you over stimulated by this thread! (I say that joking) Do some searching on the benefits of Tyrosine but also look for negative effects because our biochemical individuality as well as other potential meds/supps you might be on could be potentially dangerous you know? It can be stimulating for some........

I wish you well Kristina.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post
I think you might really benefit from L-Tyrosine. Put your energy into that.....I hate to see you over stimulated by this thread! (I say that joking) Do some searching on the benefits of Tyrosine but also look for negative effects because our biochemical individuality as well as other potential meds/supps you might be on could be potentially dangerous you know? It can be stimulating for some........

I wish you well Kristina.
hehe (good pun)

that, and you mentioned Amino Acids above........

thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #55

Yep, the L-Tyrosine is an amino acid and it is specifically used for those of us with ADD for focus. I'm glad you got my joke.....from one class room ceiling tile counter to another!

I used to sit in class counting the little holes in the ceiling tiles Yes, I relate to you.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #56

Class room ceiling tiles...I had FORGOTTEN about that

Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #57

Oh great, I've started something haven''t I?

Have a great journey Kristina......
Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lileve
Stats: 221/187/120
WOE: LC - atkins my way
Start Date: new start: jan 2013.
Whether or not any of this is true ... I don't mind assuming they are because this list just stopped me from some serious cravings
Lileve is offline   Reply With Quote