Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recommended Reading (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/)
-   -   Very interesting article RE: corn syrup and calories in/out (among other things) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recommended-reading/657769-very-interesting-article-re-corn-syrup-calories-out-among-other-things.html)

Mrs. Songbird 01-22-2010 09:04 AM

Very interesting article RE: corn syrup and calories in/out (among other things)

We are having a weight loss challenge here at work, and this was written by our wellness doc. It isn't "lowcarb" per se, but has many of the same principles.

An interesting read.

MPR Weight Loss Challenge Week 3
This week I want to discuss one of the biggest myths about losing weight. The myth is if you are obese or overweight it is because you are eating too many calories. Everyone knows that over-weight people are those who eat too much and do not exercise enough. This was my thinking like many others in the health and diet fields for years. It makes sense that you have to burn off more calories than you take in. All you should have to do is stop eating so much and exercise more.

It seems logical as well as reasonable, but according to Gary Taubes, author of “Good Calories, Bad Calories” this well maintained dogma is flat wrong. Obesity according to Mr. Tubes is not about how many calories you eat, but what type of calories you eat. It has more to do with the quality of the calorie and how much insulin (the hormone that helps sugar enter into a cell) is given off, to deal with those calories.

Here is a link to Gary Taubes presenting a lecture to a group of medical doctors. It is a bit technical, but I think if you can wade through the detail, you will gain a new perspective for what makes most people gain weight. Also there is a brief introduction and some announcements at the beginning before his presentation. The presentation is a power point and the slides are included next to the video. It is about 45 minutes in length, but it is amazing information so please take the time to watch. Why we gain weight: Adiposity 101 and the Alternative Hypothesis of Obesity

What is interesting is the myth that has been told and believed by so many, that we are obese as a society because we are wealthier than other countries. It is even mentioned in the movie Food Inc. (movie suggested last week). From Gary Taubes’ video, you learn that refined carbohydrates cause issues with insulin resistance and this leads into the storage of adipose tissue around the belly.

The conclusion of Mr. Taubes’ research is not that we eat too many calories; it is that we eat too many calories from refined carbohydrates or simple sugars. The most implicated sugar in causing insulin resistance is not glucose, but fructose, (as in high fructose corn syrup). As we learned from Food Inc, most of the foods in the grocery store are either corn or soy based. Most of these products also contain high fructose corn syrup. It is the Standard American Diet (SAD Diet) that is at the root of obesity. Even in poorer societies obesity can run rampant. The common thread in the research concludes that it is the nutritionally void calories of refined sugars that are at the root of the cause of obesity. It is not that we as American are wealthier than people in other countries.

Obesity is linked to a majority of the dollars spent on health care. As a society we keep telling each other, “We just have to quit eating”. What I like about Mr. Taubes work is I do not feel like I have to quit eating. I just need to eat the right kinds of foods, like fruits, veggies, and meats. You may lose weight starving yourself or not. I believe the key again to losing weight is eating calories that your body can use to rebuild and burn for energy. If you have been starving yourself during this challenge, quit!!! What you will learn next week is that low blood sugar is almost as bad as too high. You must eat food to lose weight in a healthy fashion. It just has to be the right kinds of foods.

Here are some suggestions with regards to eliminating refined carbohydrates from your diet.
1. Look at food labels and do not buy anything that contains high fructose corn syrup. Sodas are a major source of high fructose corn syrup.
2. Eliminate soda from your diet. Regular and diet alike. (More on diet foods in later weeks).
3. Fruit juices contain very high levels of sugar and should be avoided. The example is that an apple and apple juice have similar amounts of sugar, but the apple juice sugar is delivered almost instantaneously. The apple itself has bulk with fiber that slows the delivery of sugar.
4. Drink whole milk, not skim, if you are going to drink milk. The same principals pertain as the fruit juice. Think of skim milk as sugar water and whole milk as the bulky. The whole milk has fat that helps slow the delivery of the sugar in the milk. “But what about the fat?” you ask. Remember it is the sugar calories!
5. Eat whole grains instead of white bread for the same principal, if you are going to eat grains. The whole grains have fiber and the white bread does not. White bread has a very high glycemic index and is almost like eating spoonfuls of table sugar.
6. Look for alternatives to foods that contain high fructose corn syrup like ketchup. Ketchup and other condiments usually will contain high fructose corn syrup, but there are options available now that do not contain high fructose corn syrup. Usually it will be the organic kind. Even Costco and Sam’s are carrying these healthier alternatives. If you do drink a soda, look for one that is sweetened with sugar cane.

Next week we will discuss sugar again and what I like to call the “Nuclear Bomb Effect” that takes place when our blood sugar is properly maintained. I will explain how grains, soy, and dairy affect the blood sugar and why I am against them. I wish it were simple, but unfortunately it is difficult to be healthy and keep your blood sugar stabilized. I will discuss sugar alternatives, healthy choices and not so healthy, as well.

I hope the information presented by Gary Tubes was as eye opening for you as it was for me. I wish I could suggest his book for everyone, but it is long and technical. I am currently wading through it and suggest that the cliff notes presented in the link above over reading his book if unless you are into reading scientific books. For those who want to read “Good Calories, Bad Calories” the ISBN # is 978-1-4000-3346-1.

Keep up the good work. I have heard of some success stories already. I really would like to hear hundreds of success stories. Please encourage those around you and pull each other away from the doughnuts, candy, and soda. I know I need the help! If you have suggestions or questions please feel free to contact me at ***

Dr. Rice

Mrs. Songbird 01-22-2010 09:35 AM

Printed with permission, btw.

poopsie2223 01-22-2010 09:38 AM

Very interesting. And not surprising to those of us who are LC converts, is it?

Mayberryfan 01-22-2010 10:36 AM

GREAT info!! Thanks for posting!

afuentes 01-22-2010 11:47 AM

I love it - thanks!

chiody 01-22-2010 12:06 PM

Thanks....good article....:clap:

dartstar1 01-22-2010 04:02 PM

I've known this for years
Havn't you had friends that used real sugar in their coffee , tea stayed thin?
It has been the sodas and process foods with the corn syrup
I remember when "low fat" foods came out yet everything had cornsyrup even lean cuisine

kristina 01-22-2010 04:06 PM

Thank you so much for that! It makes so much sense.

I just saw a commercial the other day about high fructose corn syrup...a commercial FOR IT. That it isn't that bad.
They know they're in trouble, and going to hit the airwaves to defend themselves. :rolleyes:

found it....disgusting :sick:

ravenrose 01-22-2010 08:06 PM

MY GOODNESS you are lucky to have a wellness doctor who subscribes to these views! Give him a big hug and tell him how much we appreciate him.

teri f 01-23-2010 12:33 AM

It is so heartening to hear that some people in the medical field are finally getting it.Gary Taubes book is the most compelling thing I've ever read. I knew the whole calories in calories out was pretty much a bunch of bunk but didn't really understand why until I read all his research. Now it makes perfect sense. But its not just hfcs--its carbs and grains that for most people, over time cause insulin resistance. Our bodies are not genetically equipped to eat the majority of stuff we try feed it. Thanks for posting this exerpt. The book is the absolute best I've ever read and has helped me understand why I got fat and what I can do to not be fat anymore.

Blood Sugar 101 01-23-2010 06:07 AM

Do you have access to this doctor, if you do, pass on to him this study:

ScienceDirect - Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice : Dietary breads: Myth or reality?

This is a nice little study that proved quite convincingly that there is ZERO difference in the way that whole grain bread hits the blood stream compared to white bread.

The whole glycemic index concept is a scam that the grain processors have backed to keep their products in the list of "healthy" foods.

jezzie 01-23-2010 06:17 AM

Thanks for sharing the read.

I believe most plans - eschew HFCS and trans fats; suggest fruit over juice; whole grain over processed.