Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Recommended Reading
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
How Evil IS Fructose? Check this out

Dr. Davis has a very informative post today on his blog.

The Heart Scan Blog: Postprandial pile-up with fructose

It illustrates graphically how fructose sweetened soda causes a very different pattern of fat in the blood (triglycerides) than does glucose sweetened soda. One that results in much, much higher circulating blood fat, and since circulating blood fat turns into body fat, this is very much a "smoking gun."

Sugar is 50% fructose, 50% glucose. High fructose corn syrup is often described by apologists as being only 55% fructose, but in fact it turns out that HFCS may actually be as high as 90% fructose (the fructose coming from corn) and there is no requirement to disclose the actual breakdown to the consumer.

Whatever the outcome of your diet journey, or your adherence to a low carb diet, you will immeasurably improve your health if you cut out all high fructose corn syrup from your diet, forever, and if you change your carb consumption away from fructose to glucose.

This would mean avoiding sugar in favor of starches, avoiding all "natural" but concentrated sweeteners like agave that are high in fructose.

Pieces of fruits don't actually contain all that much fructose. It is concentrated forms like juice that do.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Old Wise One

Gallery: jezzie
Stats: choosing to be scale-free;
WOE: (48% C; 33% Fat; 19% P; )
Start Date: 11/22/11 - MediterrAsian, Flexitarian, Oz-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post

Whatever the outcome of your diet journey, or your adherence to a low carb diet, you will immeasurably improve your health if you cut out all high fructose corn syrup from your diet, forever,

Yes, I'm not even low carb anymore but my plan doesn't allow HFCS.
I do eat about three pieces of fruit each day. - Thanks for the info.
jezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: maxell
Stats: 5-10 205/168/175
WOE: Modified Low Carb Diet
Start Date: 10/21/2009
This is good to know but how would you track fructose? Or should you just exclude all items with any level of fructose? For example, Pepperidge Farm's Carb Style Bread has 5 net carbs (8g carbs - 3g fiber). It seems my BG meter is tolerating it fairly well: no BG elevation as you would with any other bread. But some of the ingredients mentioned are: "Contains 2% or less of maltodextrin ... high fructose corn syrup ... raisin juice concentrate ... yellow corn flour ... sucralose ..." Yet this bread purports to have zero sugars.

We know that maltodextrin is the sugar sub which does elevate BG, as Dr. Bernstein mentions. We do not know the exact amount of fructose here but these ingredients sure don't sound good, less than 2% or not! 2% of what, by weight? And how many grams of fructose daily is considered okay as opposed to pushing it?

So would you eat something like this? More information is clearly needed, which we don't have. But the point seems that these are indeed crypto sugars (maltodextrin & fructose), for which you'll pay later, even though they may not move the BG meter for now?/!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Sugar 101 View Post
Dr. Davis has a very informative post today on his blog.
maxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blood Sugar 101
Stats: 1998-2009 170/142/145---2010 138/142/138
WOE: 80-100g per day. Metformin (no more prandin!)
Start Date: First LC diet 1998, goal 2003, continual vigilance
I no longer buy products that have HFCS listed on the label. There's a brand of whole grain bread sold at Trader Joes ("Fiber" something) and Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise brand that doesn't have it. These two products have a different name, the but same ingredients and product code so they come out of the same plant. There are a few others.

You can find out the fructose content of any food at the USDA nutrition database:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

I don't worry about the fructose in vegetables and berries because it isn't concentrated. But there is many times more fructose in a syrup than there is in any naturally occuring source. Our livers are adapted to the natural sources.

One last thing. You DON'T see fructose in your blood sugar because it doesn't turn into glucose but as soon as it is digested it goes directly to the liver where it is immediately turned into triglyceride and shunted off for storage. Only the glucose that isn't burned gets stored as fat.

That is why glucose is less likely to produce weight gain, though of course for those of us who have diabetes, that benefit is cancelled out.

Since fructose stored in the liver increases insulin resistance, it is NOT a good alternative for people with diabetes, though ignorant dietitians trained in the 1990s may not have learned of this since it was considered healthy back then.
Blood Sugar 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am glad you posted this!! I am new to diabetes, my DD was just diagnosed as a type 1 and I need to learn as much as I can. Thanks. I ordered your book this week, Jenny. Hoping to have it next week.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Besides the weight gain it seems like it is the food of choice for cancer cells.

Cancer Cells Use Fructose to Grow: Don't Blame Us, Says Corn Lobby - HealthPop - CBS News
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote