Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Recommended Reading
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeweeaka
Stats: 235/215/135
WOE: Low Carb! Alternate Day!
Start Date: March 2008! January '09 Restart!
Trick or Treat by Groves...

I'm currently reading this. Is anyone else reading it or have read it and if so what are your thoughts...

For me...so far it has helped me to see how I gave too much power over to my doctors, pharmaceutical companies, and the government...especially the FDA...in terms of looking out for our best interests.

I'm not saying that all doctors are bad, etc., because in most cases they are PRACTICING MEDICINE on us and doing what THEY think is best. What I realized a while ago though is they are not God, they don't know everything, and because they don't have a lot of time most of them don't research alternative treatments or preventative treatments...so they give you a prescription and send you on your way!

The book, so far, pointed out that many of the doctors, including the FDA, and journals, etc., are in the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies....either by taking vacations on them, equipment, consulting for them, or even allowing their names to be used on "positive" reviews of drugs that should not be put on the market! In my business classes that was referred to as a "conflict of interest."

TJ
235/[COLOR=red]215[/COLOR]/135
Goals for this Month...1. Drink 96 ounces of water a day. 2. Exercise 3 days a week. 3. Eat at BMR at least 3 days week!
skeeweeaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I love this book..You are right...Also, most people would rather take a pill than change the way they eat..I have a friend who is diabetic who will eat sugar, but says he can adjust
his insulin afterwards..I think that is very common, I'm sure.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I love this book..You are right...Also, most people would rather take a pill than change the way they eat..I have a friend who is diabetic who will eat sugar, but says he can adjust
his insulin afterwards..I think that is very common, I'm sure.
It should be required reading...really..otherwise we allow ourselves to be manipulated without even knowing it! I found it interesting that Groves says that in med school they don't teach "cure" or talk "cure," they teach MEDICATION! So I don't think that most people realize that there is a way to "cure" these illnesses without suffering the consequences of meds, at least I didn't until I start visiting these types of forums!

TJ
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka View Post
It should be required reading...really..otherwise we allow ourselves to be manipulated without even knowing it! I found it interesting that Groves says that in med school they don't teach "cure" or talk "cure," they teach MEDICATION! So I don't think that most people realize that there is a way to "cure" these illnesses without suffering the consequences of meds, at least I didn't until I start visiting these types of forums!

TJ
Here is an article speaking on curing the underlying causes of depression versus treating the symptoms... Very enlightening into the medical profession and treatment here...

Using Antidepressants vs. Underlying Medical Causes of Depression

TJ
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tesaje
Stats: 160/160/130
WOE: Lo carb/organic
I'm late to this party but I'm now about 3/4 of the way thru this book. I'm reading Good Calories Bad Calories at the same time. There's a lot of duplication but also verification about the same studies from different sides of the pond. I think Groves is more emotional about it than Taubes, but they cite a lot of same studies.

What has struck me is how extremely bad the science is and has been for over a half century. I don't really blame the doctors - they are not scientists and are not trained as scientists for the most part. They have to follow the standards of care or risk losing law suits.

The illogical analysis and disregard for the results of every test that has ever been done is what hits me. They have been promoting the exact opposite of what the data show. No wonder the health is so bad in the whole country. The extremelky poor science and promotion of the opposite of the test results makes it very had not to believe there is a big corruption fueled by the big money to be made in making everyone sick and feed them poor porcessed franken-food. It is appalling at how badly we have been duped.

Groves has also shown me a way to eat LC in a more natural way - without the odd and processed LC foods. Just regular food but choosing low carb.
Tesaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I have this book in my wish list on Amazon. I have heard good things about it!
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I'm reading this book and now and I'm currently on the chapter concerning soy and it is making me physcially ill to realize what we've been doing to our children.

Everyone should read this book.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

Do you have the book, or did you find it in your library Pam? I know that soy is no good if you have thyroid issues. I can imagine it should not be used by any lay person as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought a copy.

Here's one thing he stated about soy-based baby formulas:

An infant exclusively fed on soy formula receives the oestrogenic equivalent (based on body weight)of at least five birth control pills per day. By contrast, almost no phytoestrogens have been detected in dairy-based infant formula or in human milk, even when the mother consumes soy products.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

I had one of my 4 kids on soy based formula. I wish I can remember which one though LOL. The soy formula was only short lived, never used a whole lot. Thank goodness. I wasn't comfortable using it. Geesh my memory is so bad. I cannot believe all the thing that soy does. Makes you very mad that they have found these things out now, instead of when they first came out.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So much in this book is maddening. I just finished the chapter on Vitamin D and how sunscreen use is contributing to the increase in skin cancers. Also how carcinogenic the main ingredients in most sunscreens are, I thought I was using a good one, the Neutrogena Helioplex, but he specifically mentions the ingredient used in it, oxybenzone. It's a derivative of benzophenone, one of the most powerful free radical generators known to man and is activated by ultraviolet light.

I'm going to order his book "Natural Health & Weight Loss".

Last edited by PaminKY; 06-26-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #12

I have been using coconut oil as sunscreen. Bruce Fife has just posted on his wife's facebook page that the best way to use coconut oil is to take it internally as well as use it on your skin. Gives you great natural protection. I have done this for years now and do not burn anymore and finally get a base tan that doesn't need daily hours in the sun to keep. I normally burn, get red, peel and return to whiter than white very quickly. No tan for me. I am glad my skin has done well with the coconut oil regime I have.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been using coconut oil for a moisturizer and I love it. I also rub it in my hair the night before I wash it (I no longer wash my hair everyday like I did when I was younger)and it makes my hair so soft and helps keep the frizzes down.

My hair is very naturally curly but it is also very frizzy if I let it air dry and over the years I've spent a small fortune on different products trying to find the one that would let my hair be curly but also smooth and I finally found it, coconut oil.