LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjais
Stats: 117 lbs (5'5")
WOE: Intuitive Eating/Fitness
Start Date: Since 2004
Losing It...by Valerie Bertinelli

I recently read Valerie Bertinelli's new book 'Losing It - And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time'.

As many of us already know from the television commercials, Ms. Bertinelli lost her weight through the Jenny Craig weight loss program. Even though she did not follow a low carb plan, I think anyone who has ever struggled with emotional eating will be able to relate to her battles with her weight.

Here's a quote:
'In this book, you won't find me professing to have all of the answers to life's problems. Hey, I'm still trying to figure out most of those. Instead this story is about choices I've made, good and bad, and how I've grown and learned from them. Through it all you'll get me uncensored and unfiltered - the good, bad, stupid, stubborn, size 14 and size 4.'

This book is more of a biography than a weight loss book. For me it was interesting to see how she was finally able to see the connection between the emotions and issues she didn't want to confront and her pattern of overeating.

After reading the book, I'm rooting for her to be able to maintain her weight loss and be successful in dealing with her emotional eating.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
It is amazing to me how she put up with Eddie Van Halen for so long!

Oh, when I was in grade school, every boy was in "love" with her!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJR72 View Post
It is amazing to me how she put up with Eddie Van Halen for so long!
Yep, I agree. I think what surprised me the most was that she cheated on him during the marriage. She just didn't seem like the 'type'. But like they say, you never know.
mjais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Thanks for posting, MJ.

I'll have to read it!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjais View Post
Yep, I agree. I think what surprised me the most was that she cheated on him during the marriage. She just didn't seem like the 'type'. But like they say, you never know.
Wow. That shocks me.
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bluqq
Stats: at birth weight, lucky for mom she had big hips
Start Date: 11/24/05
I thought she was great when I was young! I wanted her hair and to look like her!

I still like her!
Bluqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

She reveals many things about her personal life that I think would surprise people. Some of the things are not flattering. But, all in all, she still comes across as a down-to-earth person.

One of the things that impressed me is her honesty about all of the different diets she's been on during her lifetime. She has tried everything from diet pills, to starving, to Atkins, to Jenny Craig, and many more. She doesn't putdown any particular eating plan because she says that the diets did work - for awhile. However, whenever she would have an emotional problem the weight seemed to come right back.

That is the cycle of emotional eating. The problem isn't the food or the eating plan...it's the emotions and feelings that trigger the overeating and weight gain.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: peds
WOE: Atkins
Very interesting
peds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Midnight Blue
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
She reveals many things about her personal life that I think would surprise people. Some of the things are not flattering. But, all in all, she still comes across as a down-to-earth person.

One of the things that impressed me is her honesty about all of the different diets she's been on during her lifetime. She has tried everything from diet pills, to starving, to Atkins, to Jenny Craig, and many more. She doesn't putdown any particular eating plan because she says that the diets did work - for awhile. However, whenever she would have an emotional problem the weight seemed to come right back.

That is the cycle of emotional eating. The problem isn't the food or the eating plan...it's the emotions and feelings that trigger the overeating and weight gain.
This is me completely. I have never been able to deal with the emotions (negative). I eat instead. I wish I could change it.
Midnight Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
This is me completely. I have never been able to deal with the emotions (negative). I eat instead. I wish I could change it.
I know exactly what you mean, but please don't lose hope. What I've learned through my experience of losing the weight and keeping it off is that it has more to do with dealing with whatever is going on in my life than it does with any eating plan. For me it's a process of facing whatever is bothering me, taking some sort of steps to deal with it/resolve it and going after whatever it is that I really want in life.

Again, this is how it's been for me. Everyone is different. My point it is there is hope for people like us. Hang in there!

Last edited by mjais; 04-18-2010 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 04-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, but please don't lose hope. What I've learned through my experience of losing the weight and keeping it off is that it has more to do with dealing with whatever is going on in my life than it does with any eating plan. For me it's a process of facing whatever is bothering me, taking some sort of steps to deal with it/resolve it and going after whatever it is that I really want in life.

Again, this is how it's been for me. Everyone is different. My point it is there is hope for people like us. Hang in there!
I try not to lose hope. I do get discouraged, but I try to give myself pep talks and kick my own butt. For me, it's about being in control. Not of other people, but my own life. I am a "pleaser" in all my relationships, and I often feel tremendous conflict when contemplating doing what I want to do versus what others would want me to do. I don't like disappointing people, but I resent not being considered by others at the same time. It's really tough for me. I want to be nice and respectful to others, but I also want to have that reciprocated.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyAtlanta
Stats: 221/215/140
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 2010
You cannot change the behavior of other people. You be what you want to be and you'll see the disrespectful people will be replaced by folks who will treat you "in kind."

P.S. How do you manage to be in "control" and a "pleaser" at the same time???
KittyAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Therein lies the rub. If you're in total control (and who really is?) at all times, you are bound to not please someone at some point. I guess you just try to draw your lines/create boundaries when necessary, but not be so selfish as to only think of yourself all the time.
Midnight Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
Therein lies the rub. If you're in total control (and who really is?) at all times, you are bound to not please someone at some point. I guess you just try to draw your lines/create boundaries when necessary, but not be so selfish as to only think of yourself all the time.
Hi Christal
I think the people who truly love and care about you will get used to the 'new' you and respect you for having your personal boundaries firmly in place. But there will also be some people who will decide not to deal with you because they are no longer getting what 'they' want from you.

Sometimes it's difficult for others to accept us when we make a change within ourselves or our lives. They want things to be the way they always have been. But each of us has the right to change and transform our lives (or not).

Last edited by mjais; 08-06-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DooneBug
Stats: 232/216/160
WOE: Low Carb/Strength Training
Start Date: August 2010
I purchased her book soon after it came on the market. I felt that it was superficial and primarily written to promote her Jenny Craig contract.

I like her, always have. I just didn't feel satisfied after the book.
DooneBug is offline   Reply With Quote