Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recipes for Any Diet Plan (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipes-any-diet-plan/)
-   -   It's cold out and time for soup. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipes-any-diet-plan/818648-its-cold-out-time-soup.html)

CJMO 12-13-2013 01:36 PM

It's cold out and time for soup.

It's that time of year for soups, stews and chili. What's you're favorite recipe? It doesn't have to be low carb.

Dottie 12-13-2013 01:41 PM

I'm old school: chicken noodle :)
Boil a whole chicken with abut 1/2tsp salt, pull the meat off and toss the bones back in to simmer for another hour then strain the bones out.
To the broth add:
carrots
celery
onions
parsley
thyme
rosemary
basil
Simmer until the veggies are tender then add brown rice noodles (or whichever you prefer), salt and pepper to taste.

I also toss in whatever veggies I have on hand: zucchini, turnips, spinach, kale, tomatoes, etc.

CJMO 12-13-2013 01:42 PM

Taco soup
2cans black beans
1 can pinto
1can corn
1 can rotel
1 pk. Dry ranch
1 pk taco seasoning.
1# hb.

Brown hamburger and drain. Toss everything into a pot or crock pot and simmer. I used the crock and set it on low while I was at work. You don't have to cook it long but it was just easier for me.

Dottie 12-13-2013 01:46 PM

"Instant" Potato soup
1pk instant potatoes (the size that makes 3 servings)
1T olive oil
1 finely diced carrot
3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 diced onion
1 bay leaf
Thyme and garlic powder to taste
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Saute the carrots, onion and celery in the oil. Add the broth and seasonings, let simmer about 10 minutes. Fish the bay leaf out and stir in the potatoes. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes, then stir in the cheese off the heat.
Add more broth if this is too thick.

When my mother makes this, she adds a bag of frozen peas and carrots to it as well.

CJMO 12-13-2013 06:23 PM

Mmmmmm
That sounds good!

Dottie 12-14-2013 05:59 AM

I make my split pea or lentil soup the same way, so here's the basic:

1lb bag dried split peas or lentils
7 cups chicken broth/stock
1 ham hock or 6 slices bacon, cut up
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped carrot (about 2 large carrots)
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 bay leaves (remove before serving)
1 big pinch cayenne pepper
1T soy sauce
1T dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Soak the dried peas/lentils in 2 cups of the broth overnight in the refrigerator.
If using a ham hock: add 2 cups of broth and the ham hock and bay leaves to a pot and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes until it's tender enough to pull the meat off. (you can do this the day before then cool the broth and refrigerate until ready to cook). Pull the meat off, chop it and add it back to the pot then add the soaked peas/lentils and any of the broth not soaked, along with some salt, pepper, bacon(if using), the remaining broth and 1/2tsp salt and a good pinch of pepper.
Simmer for 20 minutes then add everything else and simmer until the veggies are softened and the peas/lentils are cooked as you like. Adjust the salt and pepper and serve.

If you want, puree about 1/4 of the mixture and add it back to the pot and stir it in.

You can sub diced ham, pancetta, diced pork jowl, diced salt pork, or any cured meat for the bacon or ham hock.

My grandfather always added diced potatoes to his lentil soup. I'd guess about 2 large baking potatoes, diced pretty small, added with about 10 minutes left to cook. They still had a little bite to them, not mushy.

Deb 12-14-2013 12:13 PM

Im making hamburger cabbage soup in the crock today
so easy and I love it

browned burger
2-4 cans of your choice of canned tomatoes
bagged slaw or just cabbage..im lazy:)so bag slaw
celery
onions

Deb 12-14-2013 12:50 PM

oh I forgot..
I like to top off this hamburger soup with sour cream and hot sauce

Deb 12-14-2013 02:27 PM

I haven't made this yet but it sure looks good

Our Veggie Stew has that same pot pie taste you love without the additional calories and fat of a traditional pot pie. I was amazed when I compared this recipe to pot pie with crust and chicken. Our recipe has a mere 97 calories for 1 1/2 cups compared to 560 calories for 1 cup from another popular recipe site. I love the taste, the health benefits and the calorie count of this comfort food stew. This recipe received a 5 star for weight loss from Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Veggie Pot Pie Stew

Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 97 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Previous Points: 1 | Points Plus: 2 | Cholesterol: 3 | Carbohydrates: 18 g | Sodium: 130 mg | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 5 g |

Ingredients
•1 small onion
•2 stalks celery, diced
•1 large sweet potato, chopped into 1/2" cubes
•3 carrots, sliced
•1 small Chayote Squash, chopped into 1/2" cubes (Or, vegetable of choice)
•1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
•1/2 teaspoon black pepper
•Kosher or sea salt to taste
•1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
•1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
•1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
•2 cups low-fat milk (I used 1%) Note: Skim does not work for this recipe
•2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, optional

Directions

Add all ingredients, except milk, cornstarch & water, to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 8-9 hours, or until carrots are tender. The last 30 minutes of cooking time, combine cornstarch and water, add to slow cooker, stir. Add milk, stir, cover and continue cooking until thickened.

Optional thickening method: The last 30 minutes of cooking time, remove 1 cup broth & veggies, mash with a fork and return to slow cooker, stir. Cover and continue cooking 30 additional minutes.

NOTE: If a more subtle onion taste is preferred, add 2 teaspoons olive oil to a small skillet, turn to medium-low heat and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker with other ingredients.

Deb 12-14-2013 02:40 PM

FOR YOU LOW CARBERS
LOOKS AWESOME

Chicken Bacon Crock Pot Chowder
This chowder is deliciously rich and flavorful. If you are looking to impress your friends with your cooking skills, this would be the dish to make them. Although it keeps well in the fridge, good luck having any leftovers.

INGREDIENTS
4 Cloves Garlic - Minced
1 Shallot – Finely Chopped
1 Leek – Cleaned, Trimmed, and Sliced
2 Ribs Celery - Diced
6 oz. Cremini Mushrooms - Sliced
1 Medium Sweet Onion – Thinly Sliced
4 Tbs. Butter – Divided
2 Cups Chicken Stock – Divided
1 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 lb. Bacon – Cooked Crisp, and Crumbled
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Thyme
(2 Tbs. Peace and Love)

DIRECTIONS
Heat slow cooker on low setting

To slow cooker, add garlic, shallot, leek, celery, mushrooms, onions, 2 Tbs. butter, 1 cup chicken stock, and salt and pepper. Cover, and cook vegetables on low for 1 hour.

Complete this next step while the vegetables are cooking – In a large skillet over medium-high heat, pan-sear the chicken breasts in the remaining 2 Tbs. butter until they are browned on both sides. – About 5 minutes each side. (Chicken will not be fully cooked during this stage.)

Remove chicken from pan and set aside. De-glaze the pan with the remaining 1 cup of chicken stock. Using a rubber spatula, scrape up any bits of chicken that may be stuck to the pan. Add chicken stock to slow cooker.

Add heavy cream, cream cheese, garlic powder, and thyme to slow cooker. Stir until well combined and there are no longer any visible chunks of cream cheese.

Once chicken has cooled, cut into cubes and add to slow cooker, along with bacon. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Cover and let cook for 6-8 hours.

Makes 16 Servings:
1 Serving: 1 cup
Calories: 236
Carbs: 2.5 net grams

Fat: 13 g

Protein: 16 g

Prep Time – 45 Minutes

Cook Time – 6-8 Hours

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...psdbcf4251.jpg

CJMO 12-14-2013 03:21 PM

Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients
Net Carbs
1 tbsp (14g) butter, melted
1 small (110g) onion, diced
4 each (12g) garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp (2g) fresh thyme, chopped and divided
2 cups (470g) vegetable stock (recipe)
1/2 large (420g) bunch broccoli, including stalks, cut into florets

8 ounces (227g) regular cream cheese, warmed and softened

1/2 lb (227g) cheddar cheese, grated

salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Method:

Place a medium sized soup pot on the stove over medium-low heat.
Add your butter to the pan and melt it.
Add your onions, garlic, thyme and a little salt and pepper. Sweat the onions for about 3 minutes, or until translucent.
Add your vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
Once your stock comes to a simmer, add your broccoli and a little salt and pepper.
After about 2 to 3 minutes, the stock should begin simmering again. Whisk in your cream cheese and cheddar cheese.
Allow to simmer for about 5 more minutes, or until the broccoli is soft and tasty.
Taste, adjust seasoning and then serve!

Deb 12-15-2013 08:33 AM

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9e5af56a.jpg

Slow Cooker Momma's Roadhouse Chili

Yields: 6 servings| Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 7 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 31 mg | Sodium: 183 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 gm | Dietary Fiber: 13 gm | Sugars: 6 gm | Protein: 19 gm

Ingredients
•Turkey Ingredients
•1 pound lean ground turkey, about 93% lean (optional, lean ground chicken or beef)
•1 small onion, diced
•1 teaspoon rubbed sage
•1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
•1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
•1 teaspoon dried oregano
•1 teaspoon black pepper
•_____________________________
•Chili Ingredients
•1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drain
•1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drain
•1 (14.5 ounce) natural diced tomatoes
•1 (
6 ounce) can natural tomato paste
•1 clove garlic, minced
•2 tablespoons chili powder
•1/2 teaspoon black pepper
•Kosher or sea salt to taste
•1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper, more or less to taste
•1-1/2 cups water, optional vegetable or chicken broth - low sodium, fat free (use 2 cups if you prefer a thinner chili)

Directions

Combine the turkey ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cook turkey mixture in a skillet on medium 
heat, breaking up into small chunks, and cook until no longer pink. Drain off any fat and discard.

Add cooked meat and all other ingredients to slow cooker, cook on low 8-10 hours. 4-6 quart slow cooker recommended. Serve in bowls and add diced onions, if desired.

Google: Slow Cooker - Momma's Roadhouse Chili for the original recipe.