Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
Girl Next Door, sorry it took me so long to reply to you...... I have used the crock pot many times for this recipe but now mostly use the Staub French Oven (or Dutch oven)

I think the chicken gets so much crispier so if that is what you are after, try it in the oven rather than the crock pot. Roast it according to the weight of the bird and directions on the label (generally takes 2 to 2-1/2 hours).
Lid on? That is gorgeous.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Lid on? That is gorgeous.
Yes, use the lid and it will get really crispy just like in the photo. I love my Staub French Oven (also called a Dutch oven).
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
First post here on LCF after lurking for a pretty long while, and not surprisingly (to me anyway!) it's on a crock pot thread. If any of my real life friends discovered this, they wouldn't be surprised either... I LOVE my crock pot!

This is a recipe I just came up with on my own that's very simple and gives great flavor to a pork roast. You can use whatever size will fit in your particular slow cooker. Mine's a big old 7 quart crock, so I can fit a 9 pound roast in there. Makes food for quite a while!

Also, I use that particular type of roast because it has a good amount of fat on it which keeps the meat nice and moist and imparts a lot of flavor. I think it makes the best pulled pork, but you're free to use whatever you like!

--------------------------------

Simple (But Flavorful!) Crock Pot Pulled Pork

1 Pork Butt/Shoulder/Picnic Roast
1/2 can of light beer
Spice rub (a mix of garlic powder, ground black pepper, paprika, and just a touch of salt to your specific taste)

Place your roast in the crock pot (upside down, if there's a right side up to yours), and sprinkle a mix of garlic powder, ground black pepper, paprika, and salt on the the roast, making sure the meat is well covered with the blend. Rub the spices into the meat a bit, and then flip the roast over in the pot and repeat the process.

Dump about a half of a can of light beer into the bottom of the crock pot around the roast, and then cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours for a roast that's the size that I was using (between 8-pounds) or on low for 6-8 hours for a smaller roast.

If you use a MUCH smaller roast, I'm sure you can easily get away with 6 hours or less but the key here is to let the roast cook a very long time low and slow... so it just shreds with a fork and melts in your mouth.

I also like to baste it a bit during the cooking process, just to get that delicious flavor across the top of the meat too... but that's just me

As a bonus, if it was a bone-in roast I usually leave the juices and drippings in the crock pot afterward, put the bone back in there and add some water, a bay leaf, some additional spices, and some chopped veggies, and then make a whole bunch of stock!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #394
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Mommy View Post
What is the carb count on the Cola Chicken? Are you using chicken breast?
I know this is a really old post but I was searching for something and came across this question and wanted to add something that may help..

It all depends on what kind of sugar free Ketchup you are using.. You can get a low carb one in the store or make your own. LindaSue has a great recipe that is really tasty.. This makes 2 cups although you only need 1 for the cola chicken recipe..

EVEN BETTER "HEINZ" KETCHUP
6 ounce can tomato paste
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup water, or enough to get the right consistency
1/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Here is the nutritional counts.. I have also found that this makes a lot and so even though the cola chicken recipe has 4 chicken breasts I add 6 to the pan and it is just fine so for me, it makes 6 servings..

1 cup: 112 Calories; trace Fat; 5g Protein; 28.5g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 23.5g Net Carbs

The chicken and the diet rite doesn't have any carb content so all the carbs are coming from the sauce. So if you take the amount and divide it by 4 that makes the carb content for 1/4 of the sauce being 5.875.. So I just say 6 carbs (close enough) if you divide it by 6 breasts like I do then the carb content is about 3.91 so I just call that 4.. Not bad at all.

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #395
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
bump
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #396
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gemynii
Stats: 205/202/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
Tip

- Just a tip -

For all the recipes calling for "Ranch Dip Mix" or " Ranch Dressing Mix", I normally use the ranch popcorn topping. It can be found around the microwave popcorn at the grocery store, comes in a shaker and is listed as zero carbs (although I'd add a carb because it has a little sugar in it).
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Widget
Sometimes crockpot recipes can end up tasting pretty bland. That is because by the time the meat is cooked, the ingredients that are supposed to flavor the meat have been cooked to death, so they can't do the job they were intended to do. Try cooking the meat with no liquid for the required time, then remove the meat, drain any liquid out of the cooker for later use. Return the meat to the crockpot, add the remaining ingredients and cook high for 30 minutes. That should solve the problem. This should work with many crockpot recipes.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
I'm subbing to this thread - I already have a 13 page Word document full of favorite recipes and recipes I want to try.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #399
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
As the weather is starting to cool, I find myself croccking it more often. Glad to see this bumped .
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #400
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Any breakfast crockpot recipes?? I am going camping in 2 weeks and we have electricity and a crockpot!!..or 2.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #401
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Check out this thread... The southwest one sounds good!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...breakfast.html
Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Any breakfast crockpot recipes?? I am going camping in 2 weeks and we have electricity and a crockpot!!..or 2.
I just came back from camping, we too had electricity and I used an electric skillet, it was 19.95 at WM and was perfect for multi uses. I also use the crock pot, but not for breakfast. Have fun!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Teefie
Stats: 180.5/174.4/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/24/09 restart-05/26/13
Bumping because it is CROCK POT season
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dointhis4me View Post
I made this last Wed for dinner, my very picky DH & DS loved it! They actually asked for it again so it's cooking now for tonights dinner...YUM
Help please? I made this today and it was so easy and my new (used) Rival Crock Pot worked beautifully BUT we found it too salty, though very tasty. Do any of you pro cooks out there have suggestions as to how to avoid this in the future? How would you water it down or what would you sub that has way less sodium? I looked at the sodium count on the pkgs and WOW - the counts are way up there!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie416 View Post
Thank you all for the great recipes! I've been looking for easy low-carb recipes now that I am back at work from maternity leave, and I found enough on this thread to keep me going for weeks!

Here's something I tried last week- I got it from a low-carb cookbook and adjusted it for the slow cooker.

1 lb ground beef
1 cup salsa
1 cup cheese

Place the ground beef and salsa in the slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours. Add the cheese and stir just before serving. Great on salad, and tortillas for those in the family eating carbs!
Nellie, I was wondering if you brown the ground beef first before putting it in the crock pot? This sounds great and my husband loves sloppy joes.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

“Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
This is delicious!

3 lb. roast beef (I like sirloin tip because it has a flat surface)
1 envelope Italian dressing mix (like Good Seasons)
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 envelope McCormick's brown gravy mix

Place the roast in the crockpot then sprinkle the three mixes on top and kind of rub it in. Cook on low all day. I put it in at 8:00 when I leave for work and it's perfect by 5:00. Although there is no water in it, it makes plenty of au jus which is great on faux mashed potatoes.”

Help please? I made this today and it was so easy and my new (used) Rival Crock Pot worked beautifully BUT we found it too salty, though very tasty. Do any of you pro cooks out there have suggestions as to how to avoid this in the future? How would you water it down or what would you sub that has way less sodium? I looked at the sodium count on the pkgs and WOW - the counts are way up there!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #407
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroproses View Post
First post here on LCF after lurking for a pretty long while, and not surprisingly (to me anyway!) it's on a crock pot thread. If any of my real life friends discovered this, they wouldn't be surprised either... I LOVE my crock pot!

This is a recipe I just came up with on my own that's very simple and gives great flavor to a pork roast. You can use whatever size will fit in your particular slow cooker. Mine's a big old 7 quart crock, so I can fit a 9 pound roast in there. Makes food for quite a while!

Also, I use that particular type of roast because it has a good amount of fat on it which keeps the meat nice and moist and imparts a lot of flavor. I think it makes the best pulled pork, but you're free to use whatever you like!

Simple (But Flavorful!) Crock Pot Pulled Pork

1 Pork Butt/Shoulder/Picnic Roast
1/2 can of light beer
Spice rub (a mix of garlic powder, ground black pepper, paprika, and just a touch of salt to your specific taste)

Place your roast in the crock pot (upside down, if there's a right side up to yours), and sprinkle a mix of garlic powder, ground black pepper, paprika, and salt on the the roast, making sure the meat is well covered with the blend. Rub the spices into the meat a bit, and then flip the roast over in the pot and repeat the process.

Dump about a half of a can of light beer into the bottom of the crock pot around the roast, and then cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours for a roast that's the size that I was using (between 8-pounds) or on low for 6-8 hours for a smaller roast.

If you use a MUCH smaller roast, I'm sure you can easily get away with 6 hours or less but the key here is to let the roast cook a very long time low and slow... so it just shreds with a fork and melts in your mouth.

I also like to baste it a bit during the cooking process, just to get that delicious flavor across the top of the meat too... but that's just me

As a bonus, if it was a bone-in roast I usually leave the juices and drippings in the crock pot afterward, put the bone back in there and add some water, a bay leaf, some additional spices, and some chopped veggies, and then make a whole bunch of stock!
I have had 2 huge pork roasts from Costco for quite awhile, don't remember why I bought them and thought I would toss them (hate to waste all that money, but...) but now will try this. Thank you!!! So easy and with children coming home from school soon, will have a LOT for them to eat and then to send back with them.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=skeeweeaka;11310131]Crockpot Pork Chops with Mushroom Sauce recipe
from page 9, recipe # 242

This is just delicious - so easy! But a heads up! I thought 2 tsp. of salt was a mistake and used much less - not even a tsp. And since there are only 2 of us I only used 4 chops. I think that 8 would have been too much (maybe not enough gravy then).

I am so grateful for this thread which I've been using a lot over the past month. I made the Sloppy Joes too. And I made one of the Beef Stew recipes and one of the Chicken recipes. All were so easy and tasty. This is a big deal for me as I have never known how to make meats with nice sauces and gravies. Now I can! So thank you all for sharing these.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
“Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
This is delicious!

3 lb. roast beef (I like sirloin tip because it has a flat surface)
1 envelope Italian dressing mix (like Good Seasons)
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 envelope McCormick's brown gravy mix

Place the roast in the crockpot then sprinkle the three mixes on top and kind of rub it in. Cook on low all day. I put it in at 8:00 when I leave for work and it's perfect by 5:00. Although there is no water in it, it makes plenty of au jus which is great on faux mashed potatoes.”

I can't help you with that recipe as I have never made it. But you can make a recipe with just the oil to brown the meat/beef. 1/2 cup beef broth, 1 tbs beef bouillon and 1 pkg (.7 ounces) Italian salad dressing mix. Sear the meat, put it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. It is delicious. Oh and I am not a pro cook.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #410
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkan View Post
I can't help you with that recipe as I have never made it. But you can make a recipe with just the oil to brown the meat/beef. 1/2 cup beef broth, 1 tbs beef bouillon and 1 pkg (.7 ounces) Italian salad dressing mix. Sear the meat, put it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. It is delicious. Oh and I am not a pro cook.
Thank you so much catkan. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
Thank you so much catkan. I'll have to give it a try.
It is really good. We have it all the time.

You are welcome.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

catkan, I just got a fabulous deal on sirloin steak yesterday and bought lots. My husband asked me if I planned to do them in the crockpot (he can't chew a steak). I hadn't planned on it but I am wondering if I could do it with your recipe? What do you think? It would be so easy that way but I wonder how long I should cook it? Steaks are about 1 1/2 inches thick and big enough for 1 or 2 peeps depending on appetite.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
bump
Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Thumbs up for this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
Beef Stroganoff

This recipe calls for "stew beef", but don't get the kind you would use for a beef stew. It gets all shredded and falls apart. You need to get a more "steaky" type of beef and slice it into small thin "planks".

1 lb. cubed stewing beef
3 handfuls of chopped onions
3 handfuls of sliced mushrooms
1 14.5 oz. can beef broth or 1.5 cubes of beef boullion dissolved in 14.5 oz. boiling water.
1 8-oz. tub of Philadelphia Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread

Place first 4 ingrediants in a slow cooker.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours.

Stir in Cream Cheese Spread just before serving

Just wanted to say "Thank You" for sharing this recipe. It was very easy and we both liked it a lot. Will be doing it again. And next time I'll add a tiny bit of gravy browning.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #415
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cactus
These all sound so delicious. Yum
Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvetj79
Stats: 168.5/159.5/125
Start Date: Dec 29, 2013
salsa chicken

I like to put thawed chicken in crockpot. Top chicken with some taco seasoning. Homeade if u have. Top with jar of your favorite salsa. I added diced cilantro. You could probably add green chilis if wanted. Whatever veggies u want. I cooked on med for 4 hours on my cooker. Top with sour cream. Use it in lettuce leaves. Enjoy.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #417
Senior LCF Member

I think you would cook them on high Jexie. Depending on how soon you wanted things done. You may have to do some experimenting with it. 4 hrs on high would probably cook most of these recipes. Here to help if needed.

Last edited by yvetj79; 01-09-2014 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Islegirl. You may not want to use whole envelope of hidden valley mix perhaps next time try half.

Last edited by yvetj79; 01-10-2014 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: add
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvetj79 View Post
Islegirl. You may not want to use whole envelope of hidden valley mix perhaps next time try half.
yvetj79 - Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Your so welcome.