Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #361
Junior LCF Member
 
aliciaannb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WI
Posts: 3
Gallery: aliciaannb
Stats: 11
WOE: Arkins
Start Date: 3/12/2012
Modified stuffed Cabbage Rolls

1. Shredded cabbage
2. 2 cans Tomatoe Sauce (large)
3. 3 lbs lean beef (hamburger) - pre cooked
4. Salt and Pepper

Layer the sauce, cabbagge (sprinkle cabbage with salt and pepper on each layer), beef and repeat.
Cook in crockpot on high for 4 hours and it is SO delicious. 2 cups equals 6.2 Net Carbs and will more than fill the average person. Makes enough for a family of 6.
aliciaannb is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #362
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Gallery: Nellie416
Sloppy Jose's

Thank you all for the great recipes! I've been looking for easy low-carb recipes now that I am back at work from maternity leave, and I found enough on this thread to keep me going for weeks!

Here's something I tried last week- I got it from a low-carb cookbook and adjusted it for the slow cooker.

1 lb ground beef
1 cup salsa
1 cup cheese

Place the ground beef and salsa in the slow cooker and cook on low for about 6 hours. Add the cheese and stir just before serving. Great on salad, and tortillas for those in the family eating carbs!
Nellie416 is offline  
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #363
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Gallery: Mike and Sharon
Thank you all for the great recipes. I made the Dietrite and catsup chicken the other night and it was fantastic.
Mike and Sharon is offline  
Old 06-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #364
Junior LCF Member
 
SeaBea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 2
Gallery: SeaBea
Stats: 220/210/120
WOE: Combo of all LC
Start Date: June 2012
Low Carb Crockpot Chicken Curry

Low Carb Crockpot Chicken Curry


1.5 lbs of chicken tenderloin

1 can diced tomatoes (drained)

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 C water

1 tbsp olive oil

1.5 tsp salt

1.5 tsp pepper

5 tsp curry powder (mild)

Toss chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper and let sit for about 5 minutes.

Place chicken in the crock pot. Add tomatoes, water, onion, garlic and curry powder. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 3.5 hours. The last 30 minutes, partially uncover and turn to HIGH to allow the sauce to thicken slightly

Serve over steamed rice or quinoa.

Makes 4 servings
SeaBea is offline  
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #365
Junior LCF Member
 
SeaBea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 2
Gallery: SeaBea
Stats: 220/210/120
WOE: Combo of all LC
Start Date: June 2012
Spicy Pork Chops

Spicy Pork Chops

8 boneless pork chops (about 2.5 pounds)

1 15-oz can of black or kidney beans

1.5 cups of salsa (mild or hot depending on your taste)

1.5 cups of frozen corn

˝ medium onion, chopped

1 tbsp cumin

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp garlic

1 tbsp oregano

˝ tbsp. crushed cayenne pepper



1.Place pork chops at the bottom of 4 quart slow cooker.
2.In a bowl, mix spices, beans, and salsa. Pour over pork chops.
3.Add frozen corn on top of mixture
4.Cook Low 9 ˝ hours OR High 3 hours
5.Serve over hot cooked brown rice or quinoa
SeaBea is offline  
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #366
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,826
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
SeaBea, that sounds good! I'd probably substitute a can of Mexican-style hominy for the corn, as it would lower the carbs, and for those who want to lower even further, you could use black soy beans (although I avoid soy myself) - and I'm thinking you could vary the flavors by using a green tomatillo salsa sometimes too! MMM, thanks for posting this!
Charski is offline  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBea View Post
Low Carb Crockpot Chicken Curry


1.5 lbs of chicken tenderloin

1 can diced tomatoes (drained)

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 C water

1 tbsp olive oil

1.5 tsp salt

1.5 tsp pepper

5 tsp curry powder (mild)

Toss chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper and let sit for about 5 minutes.

Place chicken in the crock pot. Add tomatoes, water, onion, garlic and curry powder. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 3.5 hours. The last 30 minutes, partially uncover and turn to HIGH to allow the sauce to thicken slightly

Serve over steamed rice or quinoa.

Makes 4 servings

Okay, you can all laugh at me (at least I can't hear you, ), what are chicken tenderloins? Ironically, I was at Costco today buying chicken, chicken, and pork chops. My daughter claims we never have anything to eat around here. Well boy I have a huge list to cook now from all these recipes I collect on here! But as I was debating what chicken to buy I saw chicken tenderloins. Did not buy them as did not know there was anything to a chicken but breasts, thighs, drumsticks, and wings. I mean these are tiny creatures, so what more can there be in there, right? Pigs, big, cows, really big, so lots of cuts to choose from, but chickens?
Tilly is offline  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #368
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,826
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Tenderloins are the same thing as chicken tenders, which are just the strip of meat inside the breast, closest to the bone, that comes off separately when you least want it to!

I grilled up a mess of them today, after they had marinated in Greek marinade the past 24 hours, and we had them diced up on Greek salads for dinner.

They're really tender and great for making "boneless wings" if you want a lower-fat hot wing type snack or meal.
Charski is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Tenderloins are the same thing as chicken tenders, which are just the strip of meat inside the breast, closest to the bone, that comes off separately when you least want it to!

I grilled up a mess of them today, after they had marinated in Greek marinade the past 24 hours, and we had them diced up on Greek salads for dinner.

They're really tender and great for making "boneless wings" if you want a lower-fat hot wing type snack or meal.
Okay! So this is probably what I should use anyway when marianating huge amounts of chicken to freeze for my daily salads. Got to get back to Costco. Never bought thier meat before, but can certainly prepare and freeze the extras. Thanks!
Tilly is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #370
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Subbing!
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #371
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 713
Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Gotta try the crockpot chicken curry. Would it be good over cauli-rice?
gello5440 is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #372
Senior LCF Member
 
Bella9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buckeye State
Posts: 146
Gallery: Bella9
Stats: Size 22 down to 6 ~
WOE: Low Carb ~ my way
Start Date: February 14, 2008
Made the stuffed cabbage rolls... turned out pretty good. Thanks for the recipe.
Bella9 is online now  
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #373
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8
Gallery: Girl_Next_Dor
Stats: 149/Goal 125
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 2012
Question?...This looks like it was not cooked in a crockpot...but a dutch oven...Did you put it in there to finish cooking?

Last edited by Girl_Next_Dor; 08-21-2012 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Doesn't make sense
Girl_Next_Dor is offline  
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #374
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8
Gallery: Girl_Next_Dor
Stats: 149/Goal 125
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
I don't put the chicken(s) in a bag and let sit overnight and generally just prepare it right before I put it in the crockpot.

Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken

4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large roasting chicken

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels.

Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to cook, remove chicken from plastic bag and put in crockpot but do not add any liquid. As the cooking process goes on it will produce it's own juices.

Cook on low 8 to 10 hours and it will be falling off the bone tender.

This looks like you used a dutch oven. So did you use a crock pot?
Girl_Next_Dor is offline  
Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #375
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 250
Gallery: lynnport
Great thread!
lynnport is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member
 
TaliGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 315
Gallery: TaliGator
Stats: 309/150/145
WOE: High fat; high protein
I gotta say .. thanks for these recipes. I have a picky eater in my house and I'm at 2 for 2 with these recipes. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the utter shock of him liking these things. I've modified them for our needs but they were great to start with.
TaliGator is offline  
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #377
Major LCF Poster!
 
twinkerbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,434
Gallery: twinkerbell
I'm so happy to have found this thread!
twinkerbell is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #378
Junior LCF Member
 
ShakeIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 13
Gallery: ShakeIt
Stats: 257/231/180
WOE: Atkins Induction Phase
Start Date: May 25, 2013
My friends refer to this as "Crack Dip".. if that tells you anything about how good it is!

3 shredded chicken breasts
2 pkgs cream cheese
1 container of sour cream
1/2 cup of ranch
Franks Red Hot to flavor
A stick of butter, if you're feeling bad

Pop everything in the crock pot on low for a few hours, and then just stir it all together once it has all softened.

OH. MY. GOSH. I could eat it with a spoon all day long. But also amazingly delicious on veggies. Great to take to parties. Everybody will love it and it guarantees that there is something delicious there that you will be able to have as well!
ShakeIt is offline  
Old 11-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeIt View Post
My friends refer to this as "Crack Dip".. if that tells you anything about how good it is!

3 shredded chicken breasts
2 pkgs cream cheese
1 container of sour cream
1/2 cup of ranch
Franks Red Hot to flavor
A stick of butter, if you're feeling bad

Pop everything in the crock pot on low for a few hours, and then just stir it all together once it has all softened.

OH. MY. GOSH. I could eat it with a spoon all day long. But also amazingly delicious on veggies. Great to take to parties. Everybody will love it and it guarantees that there is something delicious there that you will be able to have as well!

A container of sour cream, is that the 1 cup size or 2? This is right up my alley, throw it together and everyone thinks you spent all day on it!
Tilly is offline  
Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #380
Senior LCF Member
 
mirinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 64
Gallery: mirinblue
Stats: 248/189/160
WOE: Atkins/hCg/JUDD
Green Chiii Chicken

A bunch (4-6) ckn thighs (boneless, skinless) cut up into pieces (not really small-just chunk em up)
1 Jar Green chili salsa (I use Frontera medium spice)(if not in salsa isle-look by the chips)
1 can diced green chilis
1/2 onion chopped small
1 jalepeno diced small-optional
salt, pepper, garlic powder
1 block lower fat cream cheese

Dump it all in, cook on low abt 6 hrs or until done.

Sometimes I also add a jar or two of water (use the empty salsa jar) and a little buillion and add a bag of frozen cauli towards the end-then I call it soup!!

Last edited by mirinblue; 11-07-2012 at 11:56 AM..
mirinblue is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #381
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Buffy45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeIt View Post
My friends refer to this as "Crack Dip".. if that tells you anything about how good it is!

3 shredded chicken breasts
2 pkgs cream cheese
1 container of sour cream
1/2 cup of ranch
Franks Red Hot to flavor
A stick of butter, if you're feeling bad

Pop everything in the crock pot on low for a few hours, and then just stir it all together once it has all softened.

OH. MY. GOSH. I could eat it with a spoon all day long. But also amazingly delicious on veggies. Great to take to parties. Everybody will love it and it guarantees that there is something delicious there that you will be able to have as well!
So, do you take this to parties with raw veggies? I have to take something to a party Saturday night, this looks perfect. Yes, what size sour cream?
Buffy45 is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #382
Junior LCF Member
 
ShakeIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 13
Gallery: ShakeIt
Stats: 257/231/180
WOE: Atkins Induction Phase
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
So, do you take this to parties with raw veggies? I have to take something to a party Saturday night, this looks perfect. Yes, what size sour cream?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
A container of sour cream, is that the 1 cup size or 2? This is right up my alley, throw it together and everyone thinks you spent all day on it!

I use the 16 oz container. Buffy, I usually just bring it with a veggie tray- that way I can eat the broccoli and peppers with it.
ShakeIt is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeIt View Post
I use the 16 oz container. Buffy, I usually just bring it with a veggie tray- that way I can eat the broccoli and peppers with it.
One more question on this, can the chicken be raw and just add it to the pot in chunks?
Tilly is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!
 
gharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,683
Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
I definitely would not add the chicken raw, for a couple of reasons: raw chicken, as it cooks, gives off a lot of liquid. This would dilute the creaminess of the dish and it wouldn't have the creamy consistency.

The other and more important reason is that you can't really get sour cream too hot or it will curdle and separate. In order to cook the chicken and make the dish safe to eat, you will need to get the temperature up to a level that will make the sour cream separate. Totally not a good idea (but I understand why you would want to do it For safety's sake, though, please don't.
gharkness is offline  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #385
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
I definitely would not add the chicken raw, for a couple of reasons: raw chicken, as it cooks, gives off a lot of liquid. This would dilute the creaminess of the dish and it wouldn't have the creamy consistency.

The other and more important reason is that you can't really get sour cream too hot or it will curdle and separate. In order to cook the chicken and make the dish safe to eat, you will need to get the temperature up to a level that will make the sour cream separate. Totally not a good idea (but I understand why you would want to do it For safety's sake, though, please don't.
Thank you very much. I am embarrassed that I supposed I should know that at my age, but that is part of the reason I come here, not only to get great recipes but to learn. Thank you again, Gharkness, for the warning!!!!
Tilly is offline  
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #386
Major LCF Poster!
 
gharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,683
Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Thank you very much. I am embarrassed that I supposed I should know that at my age, but that is part of the reason I come here, not only to get great recipes but to learn. Thank you again, Gharkness, for the warning!!!!
Please don't ever feel embarrassed about not knowing something. By screwing up your courage and asking the question, you might just have saved yourself some very serious illness in yourself or your family.

Might I suggest that you become very acquainted with the county extension office for your state? (Just google it, using either your state name or the county you live in name). They have a wealth of information - all free, and all reliable - about many things but food safety is very high on the list. They are all associated with agricultural colleges in your state, and their number one mission is education. You can learn a lot!
gharkness is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #387
Major LCF Poster!
 
2f2f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 1,014
Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Subscribing
2f2f is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #388
Senior LCF Member
 
giggles4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 887
Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: JUDDD / low carb
Start Date: 8/16/2014
needed some new ideas for my crock pot... thanks
giggles4me is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #389
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 6
Gallery: leesers
Stats: 347/297/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2011
I'm subscribing too!
leesers is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #390
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Linny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NW PA
Posts: 4,801
Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_Next_Dor View Post
This looks like you used a dutch oven. So did you use a crock pot?
Girl Next Door, sorry it took me so long to reply to you...... I have used the crock pot many times for this recipe but now mostly use the Staub French Oven (or Dutch oven)

I think the chicken gets so much crispier so if that is what you are after, try it in the oven rather than the crock pot. Roast it according to the weight of the bird and directions on the label (generally takes 2 to 2-1/2 hours).
Linny is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.