Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I haven't found many LCHF websites with recipes that aren't in a Scandinavian language, but I did find one called "Freckle's Food." I'll post some recipes from it when I have time, but consider checking it out yourself. She also has a website called "lchfmalta" with recipes and pictures.

If you find other online resources about eating LCHF or recipes for doing NK, please let us know about them.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
On the oil choice for mayo: I've found that the vinegar actually makes more difference to the taste than the oil. If you're coming from US commercial mayo, lemon juice or cider vinegar are going to taste wrong and white vinegar will be just right. At least they did to me, and my favorite mayo was a boutique-ish brand.

Light olive oil is refined, usually chemically. The important thing to look for is to see if it was processed with hexane. Hexane is bad and should be avoided when possible. Most oils processed in the USA are done with hexane. However, most European countries have banned it, so there are alternatives. My local Costco carries giant jugs of non-hexane processed light olive oil at a good price. I'd use a nut oil, but at two cups a batch for mayo, I can't afford it. Not the way I go through mayo!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #93
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zay
WOE: low cal/low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
On the oil choice for mayo: I've found that the vinegar actually makes more difference to the taste than the oil. If you're coming from US commercial mayo, lemon juice or cider vinegar are going to taste wrong and white vinegar will be just right. At least they did to me, and my favorite mayo was a boutique-ish brand.

Light olive oil is refined, usually chemically. The important thing to look for is to see if it was processed with hexane. Hexane is bad and should be avoided when possible. Most oils processed in the USA are done with hexane. However, most European countries have banned it, so there are alternatives. My local Costco carries giant jugs of non-hexane processed light olive oil at a good price. I'd use a nut oil, but at two cups a batch for mayo, I can't afford it. Not the way I go through mayo!

Thank you for the information! Very useful!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #94
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:

Thanks for this info, I am trying to pick just the right ingredients to make some mayo. Could you please share the recipe you use? I have the light olive oil and I have white vinegar. Also, if you were using a nut oil, which would you recommend? I saw some at my local TJ Maxx yesterday that were very reasonably priced but didn't know what one to get. I know they had walnut.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I haven't found many LCHF websites with recipes that aren't in a Scandinavian language, but I did find one called "Freckle's Food." I'll post some recipes from it when I have time, but consider checking it out yourself. She also has a website called "lchfmalta" with recipes and pictures.

If you find other online resources about eating LCHF or recipes for doing NK, please let us know about them.
Sven, thanks for these posts you have been making, I go look up each of the sites you mention and am getting some good info from the Swedish people who have been doing the LCHF.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:

SO helpful - thank you.
We don't have Costco here, we have Sam's, but I will check for whether it's been processed with hexane. I hope it is present on the label. If I have questions I think I'll avoid it.

I happen to have lots of bottles of walnut oil in my refrigerator. It's my favorite oil with which to make salad dressing.

I'm with Buffy. If you get a chance would you mind posting your mayonnaise recipe?

Sven, yes thank you again for your help with this way of eating.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cleochatra - Jamie has a blog, Your Lighter Side and posted this recipe for mayo:

Zippy Blender Mayonnaise Whip

2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp sugar equivalent substitute
1 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup peanut (or other) oil

Add egg yolks, sweetener, vinegar, salt, and 1/4 cup oil to the Twister jar (it's a blender) and secure the lid. At a speed of 2, pulse for 10-15 seconds. Remove the center insert of the lid and gently drizzle a slow stream of the rest of the oil over the next 30 seconds.

Nutritional information per the entire batch: Calories: 1543, Carbohydrates: 1.3 g, Fiber: 0g, Net Carbohydrates: 1.3 g, Protein: 5.4 g, Fat: 171 g
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #98
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Cleochatra - Jamie has a blog, Your Lighter Side and posted this recipe for mayo:

Zippy Blender Mayonnaise Whip

2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp sugar equivalent substitute
1 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup peanut (or other) oil

Add egg yolks, sweetener, vinegar, salt, and 1/4 cup oil to the Twister jar (it's a blender) and secure the lid. At a speed of 2, pulse for 10-15 seconds. Remove the center insert of the lid and gently drizzle a slow stream of the rest of the oil over the next 30 seconds.

Nutritional information per the entire batch: Calories: 1543, Carbohydrates: 1.3 g, Fiber: 0g, Net Carbohydrates: 1.3 g, Protein: 5.4 g, Fat: 171 g
Judy, I have heard it is a little harder to make with just the yolk, but it sounds like it would be better, right? OTOH, I have made mayo with my stick blender, very easy to make but I threw each batch out b/c I hated the taste.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theLossgirl
Stats: 144/131/129 (5'5") Age 44
WOE: HF/MP/VLCarb
Start Date: Weight Loss start 6/12; Goal (first time) 8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeesecake View Post
Could you substitute the HWC with something else??
Sorry, just saw your post about the High Fat/Low Protein/Low Carb Chocolate Shake.

I have been substituting Neufchatel cheese for cream cheese. It lowers the fat by a few grams and the shake ends up being about 245 calories. I have it for breakfast at least a few times a week.

The cream cheese (or neufchatel) does not have a strong taste at all. In my opinion, it just makes the shake a little creamier and definitely more filling. Overwhelmingly, what you get is the taste of chocolate.

I'm guessing though, that you could sub maybe cottage cheese or yogurt if you really don't like cream cheese.

Last edited by theLossgirl; 10-04-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

So sorry, you were asking me about the HWC, not the cream cheese, lol. You could use an equal amount of evaporated milk, or maybe a quarter cup milk plus a couple of tablespoons of butter. This will add more carbs, but I'm not sure how many.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Easy Two Egg Mayonaise

2 large eggs (at room temperature!)
2 Tbsp vinegar (I prefer plain cheap white)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard (more or less, to taste)
dashes of salt and pepper
2 Cups oil of choice
(I use light olive regularly, but I've switched in MCT oil and macadamia nut oil for about 1/2 a cup sometimes. The MCT makes it emulsify less well, but I've got a bunch to use up. But I didn't like the mac oil even at less than a quarter, so I've stayed away from other nut oils as well. I don't want my mayo to taste nutty, it tastes wrong to me but YMMV.)

For stick blender: Add ingredients in order to vessel of choice (I use a quart size mason jar so that I don't have to move the mayo). Put the stick in all the way to the bottom, turn it on and hold it there for about 20 seconds, until you can see the emulsion has taken over the bottom of the jar. Then move it up and down until all of the oil is incorporated.

For other methods: I wish you all of the luck I never had.

Note: Per the cookbook Nourishing Traditions, I also add about 2 Tbsp of whey from yogurt or sour cream at the end and let it sit a while on the counter, but this is totally optional. The whey is for durability and adding a bit of lacto-fermentation is never a bad thing.

About light olive oils, if they aren't processed with hexane, that fact will probably be somewhere on the label. Non-hexane processed light olive oil may be a little more golden, but it tastes just as neutral as the hexane processed stuff. And if you can't find a non-hexane processed oil, you're probably still better off using light olive oil than any other similarly priced oil simply because of the fatty acid profile. Everything else has signifigantly more PUFAs.

Last edited by solarpluvia; 10-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Edited to bold recipe title.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Lazy Rinny's Low Mess Stick Blender Ranch Dressing
I started doing this because I hate measuring out mayo.

1 large egg at room temp
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 generous tsp dijon mustard
1 Cup neutral oil of choice

1 packet Ranch dressing mix
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/2 Cup buttermilk or half & half or HWC with water
(If you don't keep buttermilk around, buttermilk powder is a good substitute.)

In a quart size Mason or canning jar, add the first 4 ingredients in order. Use the stick blender to make them into mayo. Take out the stick, add the packet, sour cream, and liquid, then put the stick back in and blend until fully mixed.

Woot! The only things I have to wash are the measuring cup and the stick blender!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow!
Thank you twice solar!

I have kept eyeing the whey in my neglected yogurt thinking, "I need to make my own mayo."

I love ranch dressing. I hate measuring mayo too!!!

And thank you about using the light olive oil even if it's hexaned (decided to make up a new word).
Because I am a kidney stone former in a family of kidney stone formers and have read that PUFAs are a bigger contributor to stone formation than previously thought.

If we add whey, do you know the amount of time it should sit at room temperature before being refrigerated?

Last edited by JMCM1; 10-05-2012 at 06:22 AM..
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

If you add the whey, they say up to eight hours. I usually only leave it for an hour, if I leave it out at all. Putting it in the fridge right away only slows the fermentation, it doesn't stop it completely. And I'd let the mayo set overnight anyway just to let the flavors blend. If it doesn't taste right at that point, I usually add more mustard. Or make it into ranch.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #105
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Easy Two Egg Mayonaise

2 large eggs (at room temperature!)
2 Tbsp vinegar (I prefer plain cheap white)
1 Tbsp dijon mustard (more or less, to taste)
dashes of salt and pepper
2 Cups oil of choice
(I use light olive regularly, but I've switched in MCT oil and macadamia nut oil for about 1/2 a cup sometimes. The MCT makes it emulsify less well, but I've got a bunch to use up. But I didn't like the mac oil even at less than a quarter, so I've stayed away from other nut oils as well. I don't want my mayo to taste nutty, it tastes wrong to me but YMMV.)

For stick blender: Add ingredients in order to vessel of choice (I use a quart size mason jar so that I don't have to move the mayo). Put the stick in all the way to the bottom, turn it on and hold it there for about 20 seconds, until you can see the emulsion has taken over the bottom of the jar. Then move it up and down until all of the oil is incorporated.

For other methods: I wish you all of the luck I never had.

Note: Per the cookbook Nourishing Traditions, I also add about 2 Tbsp of whey from yogurt or sour cream at the end and let it sit a while on the counter, but this is totally optional. The whey is for durability and adding a bit of lacto-fermentation is never a bad thing.

About light olive oils, if they aren't processed with hexane, that fact will probably be somewhere on the label. Non-hexane processed light olive oil may be a little more golden, but it tastes just as neutral as the hexane processed stuff. And if you can't find a non-hexane processed oil, you're probably still better off using light olive oil than any other similarly priced oil simply because of the fatty acid profile. Everything else has signifigantly more PUFAs.
OMG, I just made this and it is GREAT! So easy, I was amazed. I did just as per instructions, put things in a mason jar, in order listed, then stick blender and it came out perfect, and, so good I had to stop at 1 T. Wow, I have made mayo before and it wasn't that hard but this was super duper easy. I didn't have dijon mustard, just standard yellow but I loved it. Wow
Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #106
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
OMG, I just made this and it is GREAT! So easy, I was amazed. I did just as per instructions, put things in a mason jar, in order listed, then stick blender and it came out perfect, and, so good I had to stop at 1 T. Wow, I have made mayo before and it wasn't that hard but this was super duper easy. I didn't have dijon mustard, just standard yellow but I loved it. Wow
Does it taste like Hellmans Buffy?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, I just made mine so it isn't chilled yet nor set overnight to develop the flavors, but I will try to remember to report back tomorrow. It is the first one I have made myself that I actually liked, I threw out any other attempts. I did use the extra light olive oil, brand new bottle, smell yours if there is any chance it is old, that will ruin the taste. I used the white vinegar as suggested.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Does anyone know if you can refrigerate olive oil? I just had to throw out 1/2 of a bottle, ouch, because it was old. Of course I am using a lot more now, but I don't use tons of it.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post

I'm reading "Lose weight by Eating" by Sten Sture Skaldeman. He has an interesting formula for determining how good a particular food or recipe is for fat burning. Also, his book has LOTS of recipes. Anyway, I went to his website but had my computer translate it to English. The sentence structure was a little off, but it was still very very understandable.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #110
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLossgirl View Post
I'm reading "Lose weight by Eating" by Sten Sture Skaldeman. He has an interesting formula for determining how good a particular food or recipe is for fat burning. Also, his book has LOTS of recipes. Anyway, I went to his website but had my computer translate it to English. The sentence structure was a little off, but it was still very very understandable.
Deborah, I googled and found his website, translated and could read parts of his book but are you meaning you found the whole book and could translate it?

I have ordered it but am told it will be the end of Oct. before I receive it.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Deborah, I googled and found his website, translated and could read parts of his book but are you meaning you found the whole book and could translate it?

I have ordered it but am told it will be the end of Oct. before I receive it.
I have the book on my kindle. In English, of course, lol.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have the book on my kindle. In English, of course, lol.
Although you might be talking about the GI Zone (is that what it's called?). I don't have that one yet.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Although you might be talking about the GI Zone (is that what it's called?). I don't have that one yet.
Does he have 2 books out now? I got that impression. Let us know what you think, book report
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Will do! So far I like "Lose Weight by Eating" a lot.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #115
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zay View Post
Does it taste like Hellmans Buffy?
Not like Hellmans, really just a very mild mayo which I think will be great b/c I can add whatever I want when I add it to things, like lemon for fisf, or garlic or horseradish, etc. Just a good basic mayo. i think the reason I didn't like the ones i made in the past were too strong of flavors in the oil. the EVOO in the light has practically no taste which is good for this.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #116
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Will do! So far I like "Lose Weight by Eating" a lot.
Can't wait to get that one for myself and DD
Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #117
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Not like Hellmans, really just a very mild mayo which I think will be great b/c I can add whatever I want when I add it to things, like lemon for fisf, or garlic or horseradish, etc. Just a good basic mayo. i think the reason I didn't like the ones i made in the past were too strong of flavors in the oil. the EVOO in the light has practically no taste which is good for this.

Thanks Buff, I was waiting for your review. I look forward to making it. My Hellmans jar is almost gone.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #118
zay
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can refrigerate olive oil? I just had to throw out 1/2 of a bottle, ouch, because it was old. Of course I am using a lot more now, but I don't use tons of it.
Yes, I keep all of my oils in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. It coagulates to something similar texture as the coconut oil...so I just let it set at room temp for an hour or so before using it if I can remember to take it out. If not, I just run the jar under hot water at the sink to liquify it.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #119
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yes, I keep all of my oils in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. It coagulates to something similar texture as the coconut oil...so I just let it set at room temp for an hour or so before using it if I can remember to take it out. If not, I just run the jar under hot water at the sink to liquify it.
Thanks, just what I needed to know. I mainly cook with butter and bacon grease so it lasts a while here
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks Buff, I was waiting for your review. I look forward to making it. My Hellmans jar is almost gone.
I really like the fact that it is so mild, we can doctor it up as needed. And, it is sooo easy, just follow the instructions and you have mayo so quickly, it is pretty cool to watch it in the jar