Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Hi there,

Question: Does dry-frying the noodles (after a good good good rinse) remove that fishy taste? I would really like to just make chicken broth and add noodles or the "rice", but definitely still notice the fishy taste. Does dry-frying help with this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #182
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Yes dry pan frying gets rid of the fishy taste and smell.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Michelle - thank you! My eating just got happier!

I keep subscribing to these shiratake threads, bought glucomannan powder, bought a thing to make the noodles and (embarrassing) have never made them.

Found this thread and think I'll buy them for awhile (if I can find the right kind) and NOW I know how to make them not smell fishy!

Thanks so much.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Judy-

Can you share what thing you bought to make them? I've tried various things to shape my homemade noodles but am still not satisfied with how the turn out.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tofu it looks like a caulking gun (well, it IS a caulking gun! ) with some pvc where a tube of caulk would be.

There are holes in the end you can squirt out the gel, but honestly I've never had the time/courage to do it!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I think I am addicted to shirataki . My DH keeps asking "what is that stuff you are eating"? Ha - no way I am sharing!!

Love the angel hair or fettucine sauteed in butter with a T of grated cheese and maybe 1oz of little pepperoni. Since I am limiting protein, this works out well. Sometimes I just leave the pepperoni off and use 2T of cheese.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #187
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Tofu it looks like a caulking gun (well, it IS a caulking gun! ) with some pvc where a tube of caulk would be.

There are holes in the end you can squirt out the gel, but honestly I've never had the time/courage to do it!
It's so simple and easy that once you do it, you'll slap yourself with a wet noodle for not having done it sooner.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
It's so simple and easy that once you do it, you'll slap yourself with a wet noodle for not having done it sooner.

I know you're right.

I did use glucomannan to thicken my gravy. I sure did NOT miss the flour. I put about 1 tsp in a salt shaker and slowly shook it into my pan drippings, stirring all the while. At the end I added HWC and I sort of felt sorry for the rest of my family eating their gravy because mine was just perfect. Now I know I can use it with good old chicken broth, too!

I.......WILL.......MAKE.....NOODLES......

someday...
Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #189
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
I like the tofu shirataki pasta better than miracle noodles (too chewy for me). My favorite recipe: Rinse and dry fry noodles in skillet. Add 6 large shrimp, 1/2 tsp garlic, stir fry and tear in raw spinach. When cooked through, melt in 2 Laughing Cow wedges and 2 Tbl cream or half and half. Add a Tbl of parmesan; season as desired. Lunch! Sometimes I use broccoli or frozen artichoke hearts (nuke the frozen veggies first) and substitute tuna, diced or ground raw chicken, or leftover steak. So good!

I recently discovered kelp noodles (virtually calorie-free - all fiber) and now prefer them in Asian dishes. I get them on the shelf packed in water in the natural food store. Pasta Zero Plus are another great noodle (by Nasoya) good for italian dishes as they soak up the sauce well. Lots of options now available - I find them all in our local healthfood, Wegmans, Safeway (Nasoya brand) and in the refrigerator section of the local Asian market - I don't have to order online. I eat these noodles everyday for lunch (I pack for work). Filling and easy.

Last edited by MarieD; 11-30-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I'm curious as to what type of process this stuff goes through, you know how it's made and where it comes from.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #191

the roots are ground to a paste and the "starch" is powdered ( the root hairs and other bits are removed )
the glucomannan is the fiber/starch.
it is hydrated to form a get
calcium hydroxide ( pickling lime) is added to the water. This causes a reaction with the glucomannon that, when it is heated, causes it to "lock" into the solid state and won't become liquid again.

it's really easy. It's only three ingredients, water, glucomannan starch/fiber, and pickling lime. The noodles are formed by forcing the gel through a die of many small holes, forming a string shape, directly into hot water which causes it to set before it can blob back out of the noodle shape.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/251.5/150
WOE: LC/Mod Protein/HF
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Just found this thread and subscribing. We've been going through six bags a week.. so I just placed an order on amazon to try several "miracle" varieties. They're lifesavers on down days on juddd.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #193
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
I'm a cheap-o, so I'm thinking about trying the Pasta Pronto Gourmet Pasta Maker for my own shirataki. Anyone give it a try before? I'm not worried about it being plastic, since it's the tough durum wheat that requires metal dies for traditional pastas.

Last edited by UncaAndoo; 12-02-2012 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: for fun
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
to LCF UncaAndoo! Before you buy the pasta maker (which I know nothing about ), you might want to check with any nearby Asian Markets. They might be labeled shiratake or yam noodles. Make sure you check the refrigerated section. I was looking in the frozen section of the Asian Market and then realized - shiratake can't be frozen. Finally I found the yam noodles in the refrigerated section!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome! Actually, my local Hy-Vee grocery store carries Miracle Noodles, both angel hair and linguini-style in their health food section, as well as tofu shirataki! Iowans must love their glucomannan.

Last edited by UncaAndoo; 12-03-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaAndoo View Post
I'm a cheap-o, so I'm thinking about trying the Pasta Pronto Gourmet Pasta Maker for my own shirataki. Anyone give it a try before? I'm not worried about it being plastic, since it's the tough durum wheat that requires metal dies for traditional pastas.
I have not tried that pasta maker, but I am also the chicken who hasn't tried the noodle-maker I have, either!!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
UncaAndoo

I think you will find that the seal isn't going to be tight enough.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #198
Junior LCF Member

After reading your advice elsewhere, that would be my fear. Wonder if it could be fixed if so.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I've modified a cookie press for a member by wrapping the piston with fusible rubber tape increasing the diameter until the fit was tight enough to work. You must lubricate the seal with some edible oil or fat.......olive, coconut, bacon....whatever you like.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/251.5/150
WOE: LC/Mod Protein/HF
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
UncaAndoo, I shop at HyVee, too in Dubuque. What area of Iowa are you in? We're neighbors! The HyVee on Locust only has the House Brand with tofu. The one on NW Arterial has Miracle Noodle brand too. Since I just ordered 12 bags of a variety of Miracle I just purchased the House Brand while I wait.

I must admit, I am getting tired of how I am making them (as a dinner on my down day on JUDDD).. I'll be trying some of the yummy recipes posted here!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
So, I have been lurking this thread and finally looked at my Sprouts market. They did have the tofu shiratake. I bought a bag. What is the difference between the tofu and the yam? I am going to make some this afternoon for dinner. I am wondering which is best...pan dry or cook in broth? I am weird about fish smell so I want to do the best not to have it. So many recipes, I am looking forward to trying it but...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #202

The Regular one is translucent white and made only with Konyakku yam flour, lime and water and has no calories at all, zero, nada, none.
The tofu ones are made with the above and added soy flour, that gives it a different texture, adds calories and makes it look the color of pasta.
Depending on how you want to eat it determines how you prep it. if you plan to eat in in a dryish dish, then rinse them and pan fry them to warm them up. When I have them with just a veggie stirfry I will cut them to size and add it to the final sauce and veggies right in the pan. I've never pan dry fried the as that's just taking moister out of them and that's all they are is fiber and moisture. But I have sauteed them in a bit of butter and flavored powder like garlic or ranch or chipotle or beef bouillion powder just till warm.

If you plan to have them in a soup then it's good to let them simmer in the broth as long as possible to soak up the flavor. If you do this you will have noodles that have their own flavor , not just on the outside. In fact, If I plan ahead, I just put the noodles in their own small pot with a bit of water and bouillion and just let it simmer for hours. That's how they do it in Japan and the noodles take on the color and flavor, especially if you let it reduce. ( But don't let it burn out!)

ETA: Hey Fozzie, This Holiday Season, my DMom cooked a chuck roast. It was so rich and thick and good that all I thought about was eating some it with some noodles and the rich gravy that was made in the pan. I know you've talked about it lots before, but I'm putting a chuck roast on my shopping list, cause this was incredible!!

Last edited by metqa; 12-29-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Met. I jut popped back in and now understand the difference. I looked on the package and they are 2 net carbs for the whole package. I'm going to run to the store - I ran out of butter ;S - and then I will simmer my noodles in some broth until I get ready for dinner. I think we are going to do steak and noodle with alfredo sauce and veggies. Not sure yet...Need to get off my duff and go put some rub on the steaks. We are watching the fiesta bowl parade and I don't want to walk away.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Love them. I ordered some and really enjoyed them too. Added them to crack slaw. so far.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Goodness gracious have you all seen buttoni's dumplings?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...dumplings.html
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #206
Junior LCF Member

I'm in a little bit of shock at how good they look.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: omgtwins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
Okay - found these at the commissary (7oz at 1.59)- so now, what to do?
I get they need to be rinsed THOROUGHLY but what kind of recipes are there for these?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgtwins View Post
Okay - found these at the commissary (7oz at 1.59)- so now, what to do?
I get they need to be rinsed THOROUGHLY but what kind of recipes are there for these?
Well, if you miss pasta, you now have a substitute.

You might read around on this boards - I'm not the expert, I'm sorry - people "dry fry" these to remove the odor of the packaged noodles, they soak them in broth.

That's what I do. I regularly stew a whole chicken, adding butter, celery, onion, a few carrots and if I like when I serve it, add some "noodles".
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: omgtwins
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 31, 2012 (cause it was Monday)doing this again
Me either, Judy! LOL - everything I have found so far is how to make these homemade - aint going there! so, now that I have them - what do I di with them? :P

And dry fry means putting in a pan at ____ heat until they are "dried"?
The broth, I am assuming can be chicken or beef depending on whatcha like or are eating?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgtwins View Post
Me either, Judy! LOL - everything I have found so far is how to make these homemade - aint going there! so, now that I have them - what do I di with them? :P

And dry fry means putting in a pan at ____ heat until they are "dried"?
The broth, I am assuming can be chicken or beef depending on whatcha like or are eating?
I am definitely going to make my own - I have a giant work project and then a big trip derailing me, but I think making my own will be good. The smell from those packages is a giant turn-off to me. And I would love love love to make my own dumplings!

Anyway yes, dry fry at medium to low heat - I don't think it matters much because you will have your eye on them the entire time. Yes, until they are "dried".
And yes to the broth - whatever you like!

Gosh I'm no help at all!