Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
That looks delicious cathy.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #152
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Here is a pick of ground beef, stir fry veg and shirataki noodles. It is one of my favorites.
That's the kinda Dish That's Perfect. That looks delicious!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Magtop I used your method to prepare my fettucine last night, and I really liked it! I put 2c of water in a skillet with 1 1/2tsp of chicken boullion. Simmered my very well rinsed fettucine for about 45 minutes and it was very good.

I do have kind of serious/silly question. I can't find any of the Miracle products locally - only the tofu type. I order from Netrition and the angel hair and fettucine say 7oz with a serving being 3oz. It seems like I always eat the entire bag of noodles. Is this outrageous?

I never eat the entire bag of Miracle Rice, just the angel hair and fettucine. I mean, I know it doesn't really have anything in it, but is it a sign of lack of control or compulsive eating that I eat the entire package???
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #154
Big Yapper!!!!

Mobear-I buy shiratake noodles from my local asian grocer and they come in 7oz bags. Twice the size as Miracle brand, for $2 a bag. I eat it all in one sitting. I eat a lot, looooot of shiratake and if anything, it's helped me lose weight faster. The only time I get intestinal distress is if I eat shiratake with glucomannan pudding. I try not to mix the two. Shiratake has no nutritional value so eat away, that's what I say. It's one thing I think is ok to over eat if you feel you need to just eat.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
subbing - hoping one day soon to gather the courage to try this.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Michelle . I have been stalled for so long and tried so much to get weight loss going again that sometimes I beat myself up over stuff like this.

I do like the shiratake and wish I could find it locally, but I've given up and just order it now.

This morning I am making angel hair in beef boullion. I may use the noodles in stir fry later this evening. It is good as "soup" too!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

Mobear-I'm the same way. Very critical of my food. Well I'm learning not to be. But Shiratake, I eat eat and eat it and it just aids my weight loss. I don't count it as cals/carbs/fiber because it doesn't effect my body that way. I just eat it. I'm having shrimp fried "rice" right now.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
WOW I will have to try these
Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #159
Big Yapper!!!!

Just made a quick lunch.

1/4 cup Ragu light alfredo
1 bag (7oz bag) shiratake noodles
1 Boca Original Vegan Burger (cut into pieces after cooked)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Delicious and so filling.

130 calories, 8g carbs, 4g fiber, 4g net carbs
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #160
Big Yapper!!!!

Ive got a ? about shiratake. I don't understand why I can open a bag of miracle rice, rinse it well, cook it in the microwave, and it's still fishy, yet I can open a bag of the noodles, do the same thing, and it's not. The only way I can get rid of the fishy rice is to pan dry it. The noodles are so much more convenient for me at work.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #161
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Don't know the answer Michelle. Fortunately for me, I don't mind the fishy.

I just wanted to say that I had bought a shirataki 'yam cake' a while ago and had never come up with any way to use it. It was coming up to it's expiration date so I decided to chop it up roughly and added it to my sausage soup for bulk. Turned out pretty good! Any other ways of using this form of shirataki?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #162
Big Yapper!!!!

I had to look that up Clackley. Never seen a yam cake. Just a block of shiratake. I don't know what to do with it. I had got some different shapes of the noodles before, and anything too big just was not appetizing for me. I had some shrimp shape ones and couldn't eat them.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #163
Chatty Cathy

Then you would hate this form. I am going to try putting it through my mandolin next time and try to make lasagna noodles and see how that works out....
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #164
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: magtop
Clackley, I've seen some very appealing-looking Japanese recipes that involve simmering beef with sliced "yam cake" in a mixture of soy, miso, mirin, and ginger. Rather the way Western recipes put potatoes in stew. FWIW, I almost always replace mirin -- which has about 9 grams of carbs per tablespoon, just too high for me to be comfortable with -- with sake or dry sherry plus a small amount of sweetener.

I have two new shirataki-rice thingies. First, I made a sort of rice pudding with Miracle Rice, almond milk, sweetener, plus a splash of vanilla and some cinnamon, all of it thickened with glu powder. I was planning on eating it like hot cereal, and the texture was swell, but the glu's flavor-dampening effect meant that all the sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon kind of disappeared. I thought this was a problem -- I'm going to have to add, like, a CUP of sweetener to taste anything -- and then I realized NOOOO. NOT a problem. Ladies and gentlemen, what we have here is congee.

Congee is what a lot of China eats for breakfast. It's a bowl of rather soupy, unseasoned rice, onto or into which you put anything yummy and savory you can think of. Small bits of chopped stir-fried chicken and mushroom. Minced scallions and a drizzle of soy sauce and a poached egg. I love congee (I also love the big fried stick of dough that one traditionally dips into it, but we won't go there), and the glu/Rice pudding is a terrific substitute. I particularly find it a nice, bland foil for a spoonful of spicy stuff.

Then I wanted to come up with a shirataki pudding that used a different thickener, once that wouldn't kill the flavor. So I made a Miracle Rice pudding with almond milk, etc., only this time I thickened it with chia seeds. The texture isn't quite there -- it's a work in progress -- but the taste is just terrific.

Last edited by magtop; 11-10-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Michelle could it be the difference in brands? If you are using Miracle Rice it comes from Miracle Noodle Co. I know you buy some of the other angel hair and such from local sources or a company on line. Could it be something like that? All of mine comes from Miracle through Netrition because I simply cannot find this stuff locally (except for tofu which I found at one store).

I've really discovered that I like the simmering in boullion method, but have to watch the sodium a little. I keep some in the fridge and when I really want something I can have a little of that and not be so worried about fat/protein/carbs.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #166
Junior LCF Member

I am also really liking the option of having something to EAT -- chew, work on my fork, etc. -- that doesn't pose calorie or carb issues. Sometimes I am just jonesing for food, and soup, broth, doesn't cut it. But a bowl of shirataki noodles totally works. I have found that if I simmer them in decent broth (the stuff in the asceptic packs from the supermarket, rather than using bullion cubes or similar), with a little butter and salt, I don't need anything else on them. They're delicious all by themselves. Well, "delicious" may be stretching things. They're tasty enough.

Last edited by magtop; 11-11-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #167
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobear View Post
Michelle could it be the difference in brands? If you are using Miracle Rice it comes from Miracle Noodle Co. I know you buy some of the other angel hair and such from local sources or a company on line. Could it be something like that? All of mine comes from Miracle through Netrition because I simply cannot find this stuff locally (except for tofu which I found at one store).

I've really discovered that I like the simmering in boullion method, but have to watch the sodium a little. I keep some in the fridge and when I really want something I can have a little of that and not be so worried about fat/protein/carbs.
Hmmm, never thought about that. The noodles I buy are from a local Asian market, could not tell you the brand because it's not in English, but they are so much more affordable. $1.99 per 14oz bag. Where I buy my Miracle Rice, I'm paying about $2.56/bag for the 7oz bag (which is the same as the noodles).
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #168
Junior LCF Member

FYI, I recently got an offer from the Miracle Noodle people for standing orders -- if you opt to get X number of bags of noodles delivered on a regular basis, there is a fairly decent discount. For those -- like me -- who are now shirataki-dependent, this is a pretty good deal.
I also got a very good Google Offers deal on Miracle Noodls; including shipping, it came to $1.62 per bag. So it's worth keeping an eye out.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Do you prefer the Miracle Noodle brand over the Konjac brand ? I've only had the rice in Miracle Noodle brand and several others in Konjac brand that I like just fine and the price is right. The only local shirataki I can find has tofu or yam in it.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #170
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaP View Post
Do you prefer the Miracle Noodle brand over the Konjac brand ? I've only had the rice in Miracle Noodle brand and several others in Konjac brand that I like just fine and the price is right. The only local shirataki I can find has tofu or yam in it.
Shiratake is made out of yam root.

I prefer Konjac over Miracle but my local grocers brand over them both.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Shiratake is made out of yam root.

I prefer Konjac over Miracle but my local grocers brand over them both.
Thanks, MsW. I guess I never realized the Konjac was a type of yam. I'll stick with the Konjac brand then; buying in a lot of 24 it's still relatively cheap (in comparison) even with shipping and it arrives quickly.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #172
Junior LCF Member

Ooof, what I am not crazy about are the House "macaroni" cut. It's not terrible, but I simmered it forever, and there's still too much bounce-factor for my taste. Won't buy that again.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Magtop what has scared me away from some of the online deals is the combo packages which include macaroni or rigatoni....honestly I can't imagine those being edible - no matter what I don't have a whole lot of storage space and would rather order 6 packs of 3 types than 24 of one type.

I have only been able to find the tofu shiratake locally. I've tried 4 Asian markets but none of them carry the shiratake. I did find kelp noodles at one of the markets, but it had to be refrigerated. The Sea Tangle brand doesn't have to be refrigerated so I usually get that through Netrition. I'll have to check on google again to see if any new sources are available (once I use up some of what I just ordered from Netrition).
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #174
Junior LCF Member

It really isn't terrible, Mobear, and to be honest -- after simmering it for two or three hours, and then essentially marinating it overnight in the fridge in some lick-the-plate-and-smack-your-mama avocado curry sauce -- it was fine and a whole ton better than an awful lot of "low-carb" stuff (uggh, does anyone remember those early "pizza kits"?). I had about half a serving of grilled fish and onion left from last night, and the shirataki bulked it all out to a very hearty breakfast. So while I don't think these would ever be my first choice in the shirataki department, they're really pretty decent.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Oh my gosh! Should I be asking for yam noodles???? Two of the markets are primarily Chinese. The others carry a variety of Asian foods. I've always asked about shiratake noodles. Could that be why I am not finding any?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #176
Big Yapper!!!!

Gosh Mobear. I wish I had a bag of noodles here so I could take a picture. See, the first time I looked there I didn't want to sound crazy by asking for these shiratake noodles, and I couldn't find them. Then I went in again on a mission, and found them in the refrigerated case by other noodles. They don't have to be refrigerated (at least the miracle brand doesn't), but that's where these are, so you might check every refrigerated case, then when you see something that looks like them, just check the back for ingredients and nutritional value to make sure it's them. When I get some more I'll take a picture and post it.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #177
Big Yapper!!!!

Hahahaha, Mobear I found them, well a picture of them on the internet. I just typed in "asian yam noodles".

Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ms.Woods. In the next couple of days I'm going to go to the mostly Korean Asian market (where I found seaweed noodles) and ask for yam noodles. I didn't see anything that I thought was shiratake, but maybe yam noodle will make more sense to the store clerk.

Thanks for the pic
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

This is a recipe that Soobee posted in the Recipe help section. I made this yesterday....and loved it. Didn't want it to disappear so I am copying it here

Pizza Stir Fry
1 7 oz. package shirataki noodles
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 oz. turkey pepperoni
2 oz. mozzarella
1/4 oz. grated Romano
Rinse and cut shirataki into smaller strands. Fry shirataki in a dry fry pan until it looks dry and thinner, about 5 minutes. Remove shirataki. Put olive oil in pan. Add tomato sauce. Layer pepperoni over sauce. Throw shirataki over pepperoni. Place cheese over shirataki. Stir it around a little until cheese melts.

Thanks Soobee for this delicious recipe!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #180
Chatty Cathy

Oh that is a great idea! Thanks Maureen for passing it along and thanks Soobee for sharing!! I have squirreled it away in my file for later use.