Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09

A variation of Linda Sue's Chicken Sausage Casserole with miracle rice.
Makes 12 servings-134 calories, 3.16g carbs.

1lb honeysuckle turkey breakfast sausage
1lb cooked and diced or shredded chicken breast
1/2 cup or 56g shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8oz philadelphia fat free cream cheese
1oz diced onion
1 medium stalk celery, diced
8oz sliced mushrooms
4 bags rinsed and drained miracle rice

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ahogue81
MsWoods...looks good. I have never tried the noodles, but I love pasta but of course not LC friendly!! Going to look into getting some, has anyone ever just ate them with like butter or something simple? What do they taste like?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahogue81 View Post
MsWoods...looks good. I have never tried the noodles, but I love pasta but of course not LC friendly!! Going to look into getting some, has anyone ever just ate them with like butter or something simple? What do they taste like?
Subbing .... and I'd like to know this too!! This is the first I've heard of these noodles.

HUGz! Jules
Old 08-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #124
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
They don't have much taste on their own and they don't have the texture of wheat noodles. I would suggest using a sauce of some sort.

BTW, what a cutie dog in your avi! What breed is he/she?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahogue81 View Post
they taste like noodles made of water. they are taste-less, slippery and a bit chewy in texture.

You could eat them very plain, for example, take them out of the package, rinse them, then drain them well, maybe even try them with a paper towel, melt your butter and salt and toss the noddles then add something nicely and strongly flavored like a seasoning packet for ranch mix, pesto sauce, onion soup, even a leftover ramen seasoning pack and sprinkle that in and toss to coat. The seasoning will hydrate a bit and the butter gives it something to stick to.

I've done this with powder pesto sauce for noodles and really enjoyed it. a low calorie yet very intensely flavored noodle meal.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
They don't have much taste on their own and they don't have the texture of wheat noodles. I would suggest using a sauce of some sort.

BTW, what a cutie dog in your avi! What breed is he/she?
Awww ... thanks! That's Poppy, one of my Maltese.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
they taste like noodles made of water. they are taste-less, slippery and a bit chewy in texture.

You could eat them very plain, for example, take them out of the package, rinse them, then drain them well, maybe even try them with a paper towel, melt your butter and salt and toss the noddles then add something nicely and strongly flavored like a seasoning packet for ranch mix, pesto sauce, onion soup, even a leftover ramen seasoning pack and sprinkle that in and toss to coat. The seasoning will hydrate a bit and the butter gives it something to stick to.

I've done this with powder pesto sauce for noodles and really enjoyed it. a low calorie yet very intensely flavored noodle meal.
Hmmmmm .... tasteless and slippery. I am so weird about texture .... I can't wait to try them and see if I like them ... or gag at the texture. LOL

I'll read through the whole thread now and see how everybody has fixed them. Your idea sounds great!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

This weekend I'm planning on making some casserole's with them. Not sure what yet.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
This weekend I'm planning on making some casserole's with them. Not sure what yet.
Let us know what you make and how it comes out!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #130
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: *~Sweetheart~*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
Someone create me a way to get crunchy noodles please! I just got an 18-bag case from the Fed Ex man today and am searching for new ideas. And I bought the fettuchini ones again, they ROCK!!

Would patting them dry and baking work? I'd hate to waste a bag or 2 trying to find a way!
Drain and rinse them, then lay them out on paper towels to air dry, you can mircrowave them, and I imagine that baking them would work, just at a very low temperature and I would prop the oven open a bit, so that you don't actualy bake them, just dry them. But if you over dry them they will shrivel up to almost nothing.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Well the ones I bought from the drug store are the Miracle Noodle brand. If I order them from netrition they are $2.79 a bag, but I don't order the MN brand. I order Konjac brand, the bags are way bigger, I get 24 bags for $30, plus $10 shipping, so $1.67 a bag.

Right now Konjac has a special for ones that expire in may for $20 a case, plus $10 shipping, so I could get them for $1.25 a bag. And it is a mix of the angel hair, linguini, and fetticini shapes, which are my favorite ones.
Can you give me the website that you ordered the variety pack from? I looked on netrition and only found the angel hair and rice. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Sweetheart~* View Post
Can you give me the website that you ordered the variety pack from? I looked on netrition and only found the angel hair and rice. Thanks.
We can't give links on here, but if you search Konjac it's the first site that pops up.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Sweetheart~* View Post
Drain and rinse them, then lay them out on paper towels to air dry, you can mircrowave them, and I imagine that baking them would work, just at a very low temperature and I would prop the oven open a bit, so that you don't actualy bake them, just dry them. But if you over dry them they will shrivel up to almost nothing.
Yeah, you are taking a chance on ruining them, they get unchewable if they lose their moisture, freezing does this also, . It's a non-reversable reaction,
What is the hoped for texture? chow mein? You won't get crunchy, you will get rubber band unchewable ropes.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
We can't give links on here, but if you search Konjac it's the first site that pops up.
Thanks, I think I've got it. Do they have a pic of a big panda eating plants on the their home page?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

yep.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Kelp noodles are crunchy (and don't soften much) and might be the answer rather than trying to make the shiratake crunchy. Netrition carries the Sea Tangle Kelp noodles if you are interested.

I bought the angel hair shiratake noodles and finally worked up the courage to try them.....and I loved them.

It gave me a good laugh when I checked the label and discovered that one small package is supposed to be 2.5 servings....I mean really

I fix mine the way MsWoods suggested awhile ago...I rinse very well, spritz with lemon juice and put them in a hot dry skillet for about 5 - 7 minutes. Then, after they are dried a little, I add sauce or butter or whatever veggies and go from there.

MsWoods I am going to try the recipe you posted in June for miracle rice and chicken.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arzntchr73
Stats: 289/268/250
WOE: Atkins-ish...don't really count carbs
Start Date: Aug 2012
I'm fascinated by this thread. I'm afraid to try new things and the very thought of these noodles kind of squiggs me out, but I think I might have to bite the bullet and try them!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzntchr73 View Post
I'm fascinated by this thread. I'm afraid to try new things and the very thought of these noodles kind of squiggs me out, but I think I might have to bite the bullet and try them!
More like " bite the squishy rubberband" No really they are good, the texture is like bean thread noodles.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #139
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: magtop
I am totally amazed to find that i am loving shirataki. Like many people, I gave them a try when they first came on the scene -- rinsed them quickly, poured tomato sauce on top, and MY was that disgusting! But I had worked up the courage to buy some more and tonight, after reading the threads here, I gave it another shot. Rinsed the HECK out of them (2. 5 gallons, just like somebody recommended upthread), and then simmered them in two cups of water with some Better Than Bullion, a spoonful of miso, and some soy sauce. I let them simmer for close to half an hour, then pulled out the noodles, added a little sesame oil, and topped with chopped scallion and toasted sesame seeds. WOW. These babies are my new best friends.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #140
Junior LCF Member

Ok, my new obsession. I still had maybe 1.5 cups of that very flavorful broth, so I took the package of tofu shirataki that I had been ready to toss, gave it the mega-rinse, and then simmered it in the broth for a good 45 minutes. It soaked up almost all the broth and not only did that give the noodles a good flavor, it totally changed their texture, getting rid of about 90% of the "bounce factor." I stuck them in the fridge overnight, and am now eating cold noodle salad for breakfast, with some julienned carrot and cucumber dressed with a tiny bit of rice vinegar and sesame oil. This is delicious. I'm going to try the frying method next, but the simmer method is pretty amazing.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #141
Chatty Cathy

That sounds good. I am going to give this method a try. I love the noodles in a stir fry and the leftovers are always better than the day before......maybe it has to do with the time they are allowed to absorb the other flavours...T.y.!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #142
Junior LCF Member

I've now made something very similar to Ms. Woods' "hot cereal," using the Miracle Rice. I had heard that this was the cut that people were least happy with, but I'm delighted with this. I simmered the "rice" in unsweetened almond milk until most of the liquid was gone, by which point ALL of the bounce factor had disappeared. I mixed in a bit of vanilla, some sweetener, and about 1/4 cup of HWC (I had used two bags of "rice"), and I'm going to let it set in the fridge overnight. I'm betting this is going to make a fabulous breakfast.

I'm particularly pleased because I just got a Groupon coupon for a fat discount on variety-packs of Miracle Noodles, each pack including 4 bags of "rice." I bought three of the packs, though I couldn't imagine what I was going to do with the rice, but now I sure know. Yummmm.

Last edited by magtop; 10-30-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I actually think the rice is the best of all the cuts! the texture is much much better--your rice pudding sounds great--I might make that today (without the hwc--maybe a little gluc powder) and some cinnamon and nutmeg, yum--
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Some kind of thickener would definitely be good (she says, as she slurps it up sans thickener), but I don't have any glu powder, and uhhh....was too lazy to play around with chia or the LC Foods Thick'n'Saucy. I put a blob of strawberry-rhubarb compote on top, and I have to tell you, this is really tasty.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by magtop View Post
I've now made something very similar to Ms. Woods' "hot cereal," using the Miracle Rice. I had heard that this was the cut that people were least happy with, but I'm delighted with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I actually think the rice is the best of all the cuts! the texture is much much better
I like the Miracle Rice soooo much better than the noodles! I'm really bummed that I've been unable to get them for quite a while. Hoping it's back in the store soon.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #146
Junior LCF Member

How do you prep the Rice, Shirl? When I simmered it the way I do the noodles, it really lost ALL texture. I'm thinking maybe next time I'll try dry-frying instead; I would like just a little chew.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by magtop View Post
How do you prep the Rice, Shirl? When I simmered it the way I do the noodles, it really lost ALL texture. I'm thinking maybe next time I'll try dry-frying instead; I would like just a little chew.
I just rinse the rice and add it to whatever I'm cooking and heat through.

With the noodles, I usually "dry fry" them.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #148
Big Yapper!!!!

See, I don't HAVE to pan fry or dry fry the noodles, but I do the rice. I can eat the noodles rinsed right out of the bag but not the rice.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #149
Junior LCF Member

For me, simmering the noodles makes just a huge difference in the texture, transforming them from revolting to really, pretty darn good. In fact, for dinner tonight I had a turkey burger and some beaucoup-vegetables tomato sauce on a bed of shirataki that I had simmered in water and chicken broth, and MAN this was good! My new goal is to eat at least one serving per day of shirataki, see how it affects weight loss/blood sugar/satiety.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #150
Chatty Cathy

Here is a pick of ground beef, stir fry veg and shirataki noodles. It is one of my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ground beef and shirataki stir fry 2.jpg (42.8 KB, 36 views)