Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Can't wait to hear about the new noodles, Fozzie!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I bought some of the oat noodles and I like them.

Last edited by scalestepper; 06-02-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Old 09-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I bought some of the oat noodles and I like them.
How did you prepare them?

Gabby?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I am eating some noodles for lunch today, and they are so yummy that I have to remind newbies in case they haven't thought of this yet.

I rinsed a package of green spinach noodles very well in a colander under hot water. Put them in a bowl with a can of TJ small wild shrimp, some chicken broth, a packet of top ramen shrimp seasoning, green onion, chopped green pepper, chopped spinach, a splash of soy, and spoonful of garlic chili paste. I heated it up for two minutes and it is so delicious! A big fat bowl of goodness for about 5 carbs, less than 200 calories, and 16 grams of protein. Yum.

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
Old 09-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
I started another thread for the Nasoya noodles, but I think it was probably unnecessary / should have gone here. Here's what I posted:

My grocery store recently switched from the standard "House" tofu shirataki noodles to Nasoya (and they disappear from the shelves like lightning). I tried the fettucine shape last night and I was quite happy with them. They had less fishy smell (if any), and the 'mouthfeel' had less bounce to it. Absolutely delicious with a bacon/mushroom/chicken alfredo sauce.

Shirataki Fettuccine: Natural, Fat Free, Gluten Free Food

(Not affiliated/not a direct sales link)

There actually doesn't seem to be any soy/tofu in these, they make up for it with some other starches, but it still claims to be 2 net carbs per bag. The sauce also had much better 'cling' to the noodles, probably because they do contain a little starch. I'm going to try the spaghetti shape for carbonara.

INGREDIENTS: water, potato starch, konjac flour, chickpea flour, calcium hydroxide, reduced iron, folic acid.

...so tonight I tried the Nasoya brand for spaghetti carbonara. I did about 75% Nasoya to 25% Dreamfield spaghetti. It was unbelievable, couldn't tell any difference in mouthfeel. I'm very pleased with this product and plan to stock up.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #336
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaycey
Stats: 203/188/148
WOE: The 'Jaycey' Diet!
Start Date: 1 September 2013
I haven't looked right through this thread, but I wondered if anyone had tried Miracle Rice? It looks uncomfortably like frog spawn, but is fine mixed in with a stir-fry or similar, to 'bulk it up'. I've just added a packet to beef mince & a tin of chopped spinach to make the basis of a savoury bake (chilli powder added to spice it up, plus a dredge of parmesan cheese). Yes, I have reached the back of my grocery cupboard & need to go shopping, lol.......
Old 09-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
I use the miracle rice a lot to bulk up stuff too - I like it in the ground beef/rotel/cream cheese mixture especially. They do look like frog spawn though lol.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Used the fettuccine Nasoya in place of egg noodles for beef stroganoff tonight, another winner. (Sorry, it's just been a while since I was this excited about a lowcarb product...somehow they took the shirataki noodle and really improved on it without significantly raising the carb count.)
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycey View Post
I haven't looked right through this thread, but I wondered if anyone had tried Miracle Rice? It looks uncomfortably like frog spawn, but is fine mixed in with a stir-fry or similar, to 'bulk it up'. I've just added a packet to beef mince & a tin of chopped spinach to make the basis of a savoury bake (chilli powder added to spice it up, plus a dredge of parmesan cheese). Yes, I have reached the back of my grocery cupboard & need to go shopping, lol.......
Yep. I use it in soups or stir fries, great to bulk it up.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
Used the fettuccine Nasoya in place of egg noodles for beef stroganoff tonight, another winner. (Sorry, it's just been a while since I was this excited about a lowcarb product...somehow they took the shirataki noodle and really improved on it without significantly raising the carb count.)
Does the sauce stick to them? One reason why I only use mine in soupy type stuff is that the sauce doesn't stick.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Does the sauce stick to them? One reason why I only use mine in soupy type stuff is that the sauce doesn't stick.
It does! I think because they use a bit of starch (chickpea flour etc) in the ingredients. It doesn't cling 100% as well as real pasta or Dreamfield, but you also do not get that sense of "sauce and noodles are two separate dishes" as with regular or tofu blend shirataki. (I used to go to extreme lengths to get my carbonara sauce to "cling", including drying the noodles out in a pan and tossing them with a little carbquick.) If tofu shirataki is like 6 out of 10 in terms of satisfying pasta replacements, the Nasoya stuff is about an 8.5 for me. Hopefully this doesn't mean they have misrepresented the carb counts. (Big company, though, so I don't think so)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
If you add a little gluc powder to the noodles and sauce it kind of "glues" the sauce and noodles together......that's what I do when I make any red sauce dish. I do it in stir fry things if they seem to "wet" after cooking. I put the gluc in a shaker container to make it easy.