Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #241
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ok, for anyone using the capsules, what brand are you using. I found Natures Way Glucc capsules here yesterday, I didn't buy them, wanted to see what yall said first.
I got the NOW ones from Netrition. I used them for the first time last night to thicken up the "cola chicken" sause without having to cook it way down. They worked very well.

I even just opened the capsule into the hot pan, no clumping or problems!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatina View Post
I got the NOW ones from Netrition. I used them for the first time last night to thicken up the "cola chicken" sause without having to cook it way down. They worked very well.

I even just opened the capsule into the hot pan, no clumping or problems!
thank you! That is what I have the NOW Brand of capsules..
I will try them and see how they work before I buy a pound of the powder.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
thank you! That is what I have the NOW Brand of capsules..
I will try them and see how they work before I buy a pound of the powder.
Hey Mac! I don't regret buying the bulk powder at all. It's so versatile! This morning I was afraid I'd never make it through this day as a DD. I used mine to thicken up some chicken stock, added some spices and had a nice 10 calorie bowl of chicken soup. It was warm and comforting. Because I whisked the glu into it instead of using the blender, I even got a few tiny little "dumplings" after it was all heated up. This mornings news on Japan has me emotional and wanting to "feed my habit". This helped me so much, I don't think I would have made a good DD otherwise.

Today I bought two new "flavorings"...cherry to mix with the sf hot cocoa glu pudding and "butter" flavor. Endless possibilities there!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #244
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I just ordered my glucomannan powder today. It ships on Monday, can't wait!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #245
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
does the gluc powder cause tummy issues with people? i figured out my tummy doesn't like polyd...at all...is that b/c it is INsoluble fiber as opposed to soluble fiber? and i see that the gluc powder is soluble, correct?
I cannot use ANY amount of PolyD - it causes me acute distress and stinkability! But the Glucomannan, so far, has done neither.

However, most PolyD recipes call for it in increments of cups, whereas the glu is in increments of teaspoons - so a lot less per serving than the PolyD.

Still, half a teaspoon of PolyD and I'm unfit for polite company!!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i have discovered the same thing with polyd....oy!!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I cannot use ANY amount of PolyD - it causes me acute distress and stinkability! But the Glucomannan, so far, has done neither.

However, most PolyD recipes call for it in increments of cups, whereas the glu is in increments of teaspoons - so a lot less per serving than the PolyD.

Still, half a teaspoon of PolyD and I'm unfit for polite company!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bees~1flower View Post
i have discovered the same thing with polyd....oy!!
I haven't had any tummy trouble with the glu and that's interesting to me because other fibers can cause um...you know...gas...but if polyD is the stuff they put in sf chocolate candies, OMG. I can't touch the stuff.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
well, i discovered polyd causes me issue by using the nevada manna sf choc chips. they are sweetened with splenda rather than the evil maltitol so i thought YAY choco chips i can eat. WRONG!! they make me feel like i do when i used to eat the maltitol ones. looking at the ingredients the only potentially offending ingredient in them is polyd. soooo, i'm sad to not have any option for choco chips.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ok, for anyone using the capsules, what brand are you using. I found Natures Way Glucc capsules here yesterday, I didn't buy them, wanted to see what yall said first.
I have, and have been using the Nature's Way Gluc caps. They seem to be working quite well. However I have tried twice to make small batches (VERY small) of the noodles, and have not been able too. Actually tring to make the "fried" noodle, dumpling, whatevers. Those are not really fried either. More like braised I guess. Anyway, they won't set up for me.
I am going to buy the bulk, as it will be much cheaper than using the caps. I've only been using them, what about a week? And I've used about 3/4ths the bottle. (guessing here) I just was not ready to order a bag when I found those. I need to get my order placed!
But the Nature's Way caps do seem to each cap equal about 1/4 tsp, and seem to do pretty well.
I did an experiment a couple of days ago. To make the Gluc gel, it says 1 tsp Gluc pwd to 1 cup water. So I used 1 cap and 1/4 cup water, mixed, and placed in fridge. It did set up to a soft gel. Not too soft, yet not stiff. I'm assuming about the type gel the gluc usually makes. Not sure how long it took it to set up. I made it up in the evening. It was gel when I checked it the next day.
I've also used it some to make some soft puddings. I've been pretty stingy with the caps, so my puddings tend to be pretty soft. No real recipes yet tho. Mostly have used with either coconut milk (the So Delightful unsweetened in the box kind) and/or Almond milk with added flavoring, and usually some protein pwd. I ended up with one batch which tasted very much like chocolate instant pudding. Not necessiraly a great thing (unless you happen to really like instant pudding), but not too bad either. I'm just not big on instant pudding. I used the coconut mill and almond milk combo, 3/4 cup, a scoop of chocolate (Body Fortress) protein pwd, and I think I added 1 TBsp cocoa, but maybe not (I forget now), and 3 caps Gluc. Can't remember now. I think I may have added a tiny amt of ThickenThin too, but maybe like /32 tsp.
The Natures Way caps weren't too awfully expensive, as the caps go, but the bulk will be a better buy. If you are gonna buy caps tho, I would recommend the NW that you saw.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Billie, how did you use the gel? Did you eat it or did you put in a recipe of some sort. Also, when you made the gel did it try to clump on you? I have had trouble with mixing the gluc (bulk kind) with cold liquid. Just picking your brain. Hope you don't mind! LOL Dixie in AL
Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #251
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
I made a banana pudding like treat today using:

1 cup unsweet.vanilla almond milk
s/f instant banana pudding mix- about 1 tbl or so didn't measure
banana extract-1 tsp.
4 gluc. caps
couple drops liquid splenda

Mixed in all in the blender and then chilled in fridge for a couple of hours.It was pretty good but needed a little extra something. Not sure what. Any suggestions?

Mixed
Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #252
Gadget Gal

Bananas? Sorry, couldn't resist....

Maybe a little heavy cream would help?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #253
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Bananas? Sorry, couldn't resist....

Maybe a little heavy cream would help?
That is probably the problem my taste buds were asking for some real banana pudding. It was plenty thick enough, maybe some more pudding mix or extract? I am so not a cook!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I used banana DaVinci and cream to make mine.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #255
Gadget Gal

I have some banana flavored whey protein powder - wonder if THAT would do it?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #256
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks. Banana Davinci's and banana protein powder sound like they will provide more of a punch. Off to google where I can find these items.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #257
Gadget Gal

Jeanie, Netrition has (or had, when I bought it) the banana flavored protein powder - it's the Champion Nutrition brand and it's called Pure Whey, the flavor is Banana Scream! LOL!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Barkley View Post
Billie, how did you use the gel? Did you eat it or did you put in a recipe of some sort. Also, when you made the gel did it try to clump on you? I have had trouble with mixing the gluc (bulk kind) with cold liquid. Just picking your brain. Hope you don't mind! LOL Dixie in AL
No I didn't eat it. I I put it in the broth for the egg drop soup I made yesterday. Basically just because I had it made up. Seems like I used a little in something else too, but I can't remember what. (Oh how I wish I had a brain,,,, maybe my "name" sould be "tinman" or tinwoman. )
And I just used tapwater to make it up, and it mixed up fine. I just ordered some of the "real" bulk stuff. Hope I don't have problems with it. The gel was easy to make up, but like I said, I don't know how long it took to set up. I really don't understand how to use it. I just wanted to give it a try.
Naw, I don't mind you picking what little brain I have. Maybe the aeration will help it out!
Not sure if I was much help tho.

Oh, and on that banana pudding thing....... I never could stand imatation banana flavoring. I will either just use a little real banana if I ever decide to try banana pudding, or will just do without! I almost gag everytime someone mentions using banana flavoring. Maybe it has improved since I was younger, but somehow I can't imagine it. for years I thought I didn't like raspberries, then I found out I just don't like imitation raspberry. UGH!!!! That's another one I gag on. But everyone has different tastes. And I realize some people love both. To each his/her own!!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Ms Woods,
I believe that I am the only person who did not have any luck thickening anything
with the gluc caps that I have. Mine are Vit. Shoppe brand. So I think stay away from
those. I never tried them in anything hot, only cold things.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Jeanie, Netrition has (or had, when I bought it) the banana flavored protein powder - it's the Champion Nutrition brand and it's called Pure Whey, the flavor is Banana Scream! LOL!
Thanks. Today I made the pudding using s/f chocolate pudding, s/f chocolate davinci's ,choc. protein powder and almond milk. I really likes this much better and also the only time I have liked anything that I have made using the choc. davicin's syrup!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Thanks. Today I made the pudding using s/f chocolate pudding, s/f chocolate davinci's ,choc. protein powder and almond milk. I really likes this much better and also the only time I have liked anything that I have made using the choc. davicin's syrup!
Pudding ALERT!!!

1 pkg Swiss Miss diet cocoa (25 cals)
1/4 cup unsweetened Almond milk (9)
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp butter flavoring
1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp splenda
1 tsp glu powder

Put all ingredients in a blender then add glu powder, blend until well combined, pour it into a non-stick pan and heat and whisk until hot and thick. Eat it while its still warm, Very yum and comforting!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #262
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Pudding ALERT!!!

1 pkg Swiss Miss diet cocoa (25 cals)
1/4 cup unsweetened Almond milk (9)
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp butter flavoring
1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp splenda
1 tsp glu powder

Put all ingredients in a blender then add glu powder, blend until well combined, pour it into a non-stick pan and heat and whisk until hot and thick. Eat it while its still warm, Very yum and comforting!
That sounds awesome! Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
I just looked at the Konjac Foods site and the Miracle site to see which one had the best price on the bulk powder (I wish Netrition would carry this).
It looks to me that Konjac has Miracle beat on prices and shipping costs.

While on the Konjac site, I found some new things I hadn't seen before:

Shirataki tortillas! These look to be flat, round noodles about 3" in diameter. I was wondering if these could be used to make some sort of filled dumpling like a potsticker?? Has anyone tried these?

They also now have a line of noodles that contain a little of the starch from the konjac plant. I wonder if they would have a little better consistancy?
Regular shirataki noodles: 3oz serving 3g carbs minus 3g fiber = 0 carbs with 0 calories
"Whole" shirataki noodles: 3 oz serving 5g carbs minus 3g fiber = 2g carbs with 8 calories

You can buy just 2 bags of the whole to try them out. I'm going to see if the consistancy is better and if it is worth a couple of extra carbs.

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - La Rochefoucauld

Uncover the LYME Epidemic - watch "Under Our Skin"
Old 03-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #264
Gadget Gal

I'll look forward to your report on the "whole" noodles, Ruby - I am NOT the world's biggest fan of those original noodles - I can tolerate them in a stir-fry or other Asian-type dish but not otherwise!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #265
Big Yapper!!!!

ooh glu two days in a row, belly is a little unhappy:blush: I think I will have to monitor how much of this use.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
Found the powder for even less than the konjac site--but please note that I have NOT ever ordered from this place and thus cannot give it an endorsement, just sayin' it's out there. I have just received a 2-bag order from Konjac so I won't need to order any for a while. "Healthy Village" and you will see the glu powder for $12.40 a pound. They don't tell a shipping cost up front but you can request it in advance or trust them to send it at the lowest shipping cost with no handling fee (or so they say!) I sure wish Netrition would start to carry this product.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Found the powder for even less than the konjac site--but please note that I have NOT ever ordered from this place and thus cannot give it an endorsement, just sayin' it's out there. I have just received a 2-bag order from Konjac so I won't need to order any for a while. "Healthy Village" and you will see the glu powder for $12.40 a pound. They don't tell a shipping cost up front but you can request it in advance or trust them to send it at the lowest shipping cost with no handling fee (or so they say!) I sure wish Netrition would start to carry this product.
And I just ordered a bag yesterday from Konjac. But.... the shipping may possibly make it higher.
I thought I had looked everywhere before I ordered!
Oh well, I doubt I would order from them anyway. If they cannot tell me how much it costs me before I order I don't think I would order from them. They could charge me anything! And I want to know my total before I place the order. (I just went to their site, and checked it out.)

The Healthy Village site is about 31˘ an ounce cheaper before shipping, but who knows what shipping is???

It sure would be simpler and hopefully cheaper if Netrition would carry it.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #268
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
LOL Ruby! I just ordered 2 bags to try of the ones with the starch in them to see if the texture is softer. They ship tomorrow with the powder. Can't wait! I have the tortilla one but I'm too scared to try it...

I tried the little shrimp shapes and ditilini shapes and they were just too rubbery and squeaky for me. So I had to rice up the rest of the odd shapes I got in the variety package. But I kept the tortillas til I could figure out what to do with them.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
I made a dish with the angel hair miracle noodles the other day and loved them. I had them for weeks but was afraid to try them because some people were saying they were rubbery or smelly. I liked them so well I ordered a case. I'm wondering if the thickness of the noodle makes a difference. Those of you that don't like them; Have you tried the Angel hair?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
I think it is just a personal taste thing. I loved the noodles from the first time I tried them. I tend to mostly order the angel hair and the "orzo" and "rice" shapes. I once tried the "mini pearls" and hated those - very rubbery and chewy. When I buy them locally, the only kind I can get are the tofu-based ones that are a thicker strand than the angel hair, but I still like that one. When I hear folks say they can't stand the smell or texture, it's as much of a mystery to me as hearing someone say they can't stand vegetables. I guess I just like everything lol.