Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
RETRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE MISSSSSSED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at you, Ouis, you have a FACE! lol

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #182
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Look at you, Ouis, you have a FACE! lol
And a gorgeous face it is too....

RETRO, so glad to "see" you back!!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #183
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
has anyone tried using the powder as "breading" to dip things in b4 frying, like wings? I fugured the guy in the youtube video fried it.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Welcome back, retro, you were missed. Help us experiment w/ this gluco.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #185
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
WB Retro!!!

Dang Char so did you let it sit once you dusted it or did you stir like mad like with XG? I'm going to order some this week!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
not to hijack the thread, but has anyone used inulin? It says it is all fiber.
I am gonna look it up and see how to use it since I have had no luck using the glu
to thicken anything. I even used the blender again. The stuff just doesn't stay suspended for me. I keep finding it hiding in the bottom of the container the next day!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #187
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
WB Retro!!!

Dang Char so did you let it sit once you dusted it or did you stir like mad like with XG? I'm going to order some this week!
Pooti, I sprinkled it over the top then stirred it in - just used a big spoon, not a whisk or anything (which wouldn't have worked so well in my beef stew!) - and it incorporated perfectly. It sure doesn't take much of this stuff. My 8 quart pressure cooker was about 3/4 full of stew and that little 1/2 tsp. brought it to the perfect consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
I am gonna look it up and see how to use it since I have had no luck using the glu
to thicken anything. I even used the blender again. The stuff just doesn't stay suspended for me. I keep finding it hiding in the bottom of the container the next day!
jlp, what kind of glu are you using? Maybe it's the brand? I'm using the stuff from Konjac Foods and it's working great, no loss of suspension so far in any of the liquids I've added it to.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Quote:
Are you using the capsules opened or the powder? For me, it seems to get thicker with standing and never seems to settle. I made some Gluco-cream gravy and a few days later reheated it and it still was wonderful....maybe it is the brand you have.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cdilday
Stats: 378/212/145
WOE: hHCG 6-19-11, 9-10-11
Start Date: December 2008 LC
Quote:
...since I have had no luck using the glu
I, too, have re-heated items and experienced no loss of suspension. I also use the Konjac brand which is a very fine powder (like corn starch). The only minor problem I sometimes have is one or two lumps in my puddings (non-cooked), but then I've just been using a shaker bottle to make it. Two or more days later, the pudding is still the same thick consistency as the first day.

So my hot and my cold (non-cooked) items are both good. I love the stuff!

Hope you find something that works for you, too!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Char!

jlp--inulin is made from chicory--unlike glu powder, inulin causes me some pretty intense gastric distress--ymmv. I have used it before--benefiber powder is basically just inulin--but I think glu powder is easier to work with and provides the same, if not better, benefits.

the Konjac powder from the Miracle Noodle site seems to be the best for most applications.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Just wanted to say hi and I liked my marinara noodles the next day, mixed with some al dente broccoli slaw. The texture was better and the slaw hid the rest of it. Yum.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
roro--I would not try breading anything with the glu powder. First, it's outrageously expensive, and second I doubt it would work well. The Youtube guy fried it but it doesn't make a crispy dried coating, it just makes...rubber!

RFL, I looked at the nutritional info on the konjac powder and it is completely free of all nutrition lol. It actually just says serving size 5 gms, 5gms carb but 5 gms soluble fiber for 0 net cards.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

I skimmed the thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but anyone else get terrible stomach pains from this stuff? I used to make some puddings from the Konjac foods brand powder (which I found from the Calorie Restriction Society, btw) and it would cut me up -- I would get stabbing pains in my stomach. This was, alas, also true for me with PolyD as well.

On the other hand, I can eat an entire package of shirataki noodles in one sitting, no problem. Go figure.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

you know, i don't get stomach issues anymore but I did when i first started out--maybe one adapts, y'know? I eat a fair amount of the stuff these days and it doesn't seem to trouble me much--but it def did at one time--I think it is because I started using it in baked goods--seems to have different properties as a flour addition, and after that, puddings or smoothies or thick soups were not a problem-
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Quite possible, Ouis. I remember folks used to say the same thing about PolyD adaptation. Alas, wasn't true for me. Might give it another whirl, tho, just so I can say I'm keeping up with all you cool kids.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Blonde WAR - I love your coffee glu pudding! I made a "mocha" version yesterday, using a bit over a cup of coffee (leftover from the morning's pot), into which I stirred a packet of Diet Swiss Miss (25 cals), and a couple drops of liquid Splenda. Yummy yummy. This morning I brewed a pot of Toasted Nut Fudge coffee and had a bit leftover, so mixed the cocoa mix into that and made a flavored coffee mocha pudding for tomorrow's JUDDD down day.

Ouiz and Retro - I am so anxious to try "Tons o' Flavorless Cake" but am confused about the recipe. Seems like the most recent recipe in use might be a good addition to this thread...

Last edited by penguinpower; 03-06-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I tried some of the inulin and it caused my gastric issues just like the glu and polyD. Guar, so far, is the only one that hasn't caused me distress.
The inulin didn't thicken either.

I have been using opened caps that I bought locally to try. It might be the brand.
I am still considering ordering the "real stuff".
I am enjoying reading of everyone's experiments and success though!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Welcome back Retro!!

The Konjak noodles claims zero calories, zero carbs (package lists 3 grams carb 3 grams fiber, 0 net carbs, I guess)

I hope I'm counting them right, because I eat them every other day.

Glu on the other hand is daily.

Ouiz, I noticed more problems gastrically when I used glu with oat fiber, and only at first. Now no problem. I think to start with half at first of the baked goods, and build up. They are so good, though, I probably couldn't stop with a half muffin!

And thanks Ouiz to you for that recipe--OMM!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Retro, THREAD JACK!!

You still doing things with your silicone muffin top pans? I need to resurrect those recipes.

You did some fun experiments we all use!!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: darlingnikki
Stats: start 225/ now 132.2/ goal 125 ??? Height 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD and HCG (not at the same time)
has anyone found this at an asian market?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Blonde WAR - I love your coffee glu pudding! I made a "mocha" version yesterday, using a bit over a cup of coffee (leftover from the morning's pot), into which I stirred a packet of Diet Swiss Miss (25 cals), and a couple drops of liquid Splenda. Yummy yummy. This morning I brewed a pot of Toasted Nut Fudge coffee and had a bit leftover, so mixed the cocoa mix into that and made a flavored coffee mocha pudding for tomorrow's JUDDD down day.

Ouiz and Retro - I am so anxious to try "Tons o' Flavorless Cake" but am confused about the recipe. Seems like the most recent recipe in use might be a good addition to this thread...
I love the coffee pudding! And ~ I knew it would be better with flavored coffee, I just don't have any yet.

I made an interesting sauce yesterday, emphasis on low cal~

1 cup ff half n half (151 cals)
1/4 cup eggbeaters (30)
1 cup water
1/4 cup Nutritional yeast flakes (30 cals per tbsp)
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp glu powder

Whisk the glu into the wet ingredients, turn on the stove and start heating it up, add the NYF's when it starts to bubble, then salt and pepper to taste. It made a nice sauce that I used on broccoli slaw while the sauce was still warm. This would work well with HWC and water for a lower carb count. I have a lot leftover, saved in two little containers. I'm going to heat one back up today and add dry mustard and a little cayenne pepper. NYF's are used in cooking by people who want a "cheesy" taste, but not dairy. I just happened to have some here so I thought I would try it out.

(I came back and posted calories. NYF's are a little high, use less.)
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 03-07-2011 at 07:41 AM..
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

retro used to make an ultra low cheese sauce that I loved--and one of the things she added to increase the flavour was a few drops of truffle oil--I made a glu cheese sauce recently (I think I posted it, but now i can't find it)--and added that truffle oil in--delectable!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HMMMM.

Ouiz, where do you get truffle oil? Williams Sonoma? On line?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: island girl2
Stats: 225/196.2/150
WOE: starting juddd
Start Date: March 2010/restart sept. 2012/hcg apr 13
have been reading this thread and have used the gluc tablets a couple of times in a pudding recipe but notice people talking about JUDDD way of eating - could someone please explain it to me. Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by island girl2 View Post
have been reading this thread and have used the gluc tablets a couple of times in a pudding recipe but notice people talking about JUDDD way of eating - could someone please explain it to me. Thanks
HI!
The current JUDDD thread is here.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/711761-juddd-march-2011-a.html
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
retro used to make an ultra low cheese sauce that I loved--and one of the things she added to increase the flavour was a few drops of truffle oil--I made a glu cheese sauce recently (I think I posted it, but now i can't find it)--and added that truffle oil in--delectable!
Oh, yes, the truffle oil really makes all the difference. And adds so few calories because just the tiniest drop is so flavorful/pungent. The flavor may not be everyone's cup of tea, tho. It's also insanely expensive, but a little does go a long way. I purchased mine form Amazon last time, for the free shipping. Also, I prefer black truffle oil to white. . . .

Magna: Yup, I still use those silicone pans to nuke my "flavorless" cake -- now that I am back from my Zero Carb stint it is still a staple for me because I find it so filling.

Last edited by retroworx; 03-07-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Is there a low/low thread on the Recipe Forum? Where you all have perhaps compiled some of the craziest, lowest calories/lowest carb experiments?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I do have the "uncheese" recipe book, I'm gonna dig that out again. Really there are so many things to be done with this stuff. I love glu!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
I just threw together the most AMAZING lunch!!

1 daikon radish (5 oz cut on the Spirooli)
1 9 oz bag non-tofu shirataki noodles, rinsed and cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp organic toasted sesame oil
1 daikon radish (5 oz cut on the Spirooli)
1 cup homemade organic chicken bone stock
1 tsp gluc flour
4 oz organic roasted chicken breast, cubed
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp garlic
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Pre-heat a dry wok over med-high heat. Place rinsed shirataki noodles into wok and stir until moisture is evaporated. Add oil and daikon and stir fry until tender, about 3 minutes.

In a small bowl or cup, mix gluc powder into cold stock and stir to completely dissolve. Set aside.

Add remaining ingredients to wok and stir for about 1 minute. Pour in stock/gluc mixture, bringing liquid to a boil, stirring continuously until thickened, 3-5 minutes.

Season to taste.

Makes 3 cups. 2 servings each 1 1/2 cups.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We do need a low/low down low thread. I'm not an innovator, but I use the recipes. We do need to keep these things in a single place!!