Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
Blonde--coffee pudding!!!! What a FAB idea! Gonna try that tomorrow. (No more caffeine for me today lol)
Penguin! Yes, it was good! The coffee flavor is very powerful. I added a little extra splenda to the cup (23 cals) I ate this morning. This is the first time I've used 2 cups of liquid to 1 tsp and it still gelled perfectly, in fact I like it a little better than 1 tsp to one cup liquid. And you know what?? I bet it would be even better with flavored coffee! Yesterday I put some canned whipped cream on my pudding (UD).

Gweebles, that cream gravy sounds yummy. I may try it with ff half n half and egg beaters, then when it's ready...mix in some crumbled turkey sausage! Oh and LOTS of black pepper!

There has to be a way to get a "molten" chocolate brownie out of this...any ideas, anyone?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Oh please, please be careful doing that!
Since the gluc thickens so fast, if your capsules aren't sealed properly they could leak and you could choke.
Thank you Dottie, I took them a couple of times but they didn't seem to do anything for me. I probably need to take more than 2 capsules but I would be afraid to do more than 2 at a time.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
I agree! I'm loving the stuff, I just wish I would notice some appetite control from it.
You DON'T??? That's the main reason that I ordered it!

Edited: OH! I see you are using the caps. I plan on using the powder in recipes, and hoping it fills me up!

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 03-03-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
You DON'T??? That's the main reason that I ordered it!

Edited: OH! I see you are using the caps. I plan on using the powder in recipes, and hoping it fills me up!
That's just me, others are experiencing appetite suppression. I just started making the caps, I've been using it in recipes.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Gweebles, that cream gravy sounds yummy. I may try it with ff half n half and egg beaters, then when it's ready...mix in some crumbled turkey sausage! Oh and LOTS of black pepper!

There has to be a way to get a "molten" chocolate brownie out of this...any ideas, anyone?

I was thinking the same but I will use regular ol pork sausage. For me, I don't watch the fat but I'm sure the egg beaters and half n half should work well.

I also find a "jello pudding" with SF flavored Jello and almond milk with gluc makes a wonderful breakfast. Lime and Orange became my favorites.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Hmm I just picked up some capsules today hoping they provide some appetite suppression. Those of you that take it how much and how often are you taking it? The kind I got today say to take 3 capsules before a meal, they are 665mg. I've only taken 2 total today because 3 capsules 3 times a day just seems like a lot. I didn't notice much of a difference - I may try 2 before lunch and dinner tomorrow and see how that goes.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 AM   #157
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Hmm I just picked up some capsules today hoping they provide some appetite suppression. Those of you that take it how much and how often are you taking it? The kind I got today say to take 3 capsules before a meal, they are 665mg. I've only taken 2 total today because 3 capsules 3 times a day just seems like a lot. I didn't notice much of a difference - I may try 2 before lunch and dinner tomorrow and see how that goes.
Honestly I'd just use a psyllium fiber drink for appetite supression. It does a good job and is cheap! I didn't get the same effects from benefiber or the others that tend to disappear when mixed with liquid.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gweebles
Stats: 26w/24w/8
WOE: JUDDD convert 2720/544
Start Date: JUDDD 3/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
For me, capsule form didn't do anything. I get better appetite suppression by using it in foods.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I will second that Gweebles. I have never used the capsules, but I get great appetite suppression from using the powder in foods. The only thing I have had to be aware of is that it can stop me up, if you know what I mean. I need extra magnesium when I eat glu foods.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Thanks ladies for the info...I did take 2 today about 20 minutes before breakfast - so far so good!

I did play around with the capsules last night thickening random liquids, lol. Pretty cool stuff. Can't wait to try it for Gravy.

Does anybody know how I would use this to maybe slightly thicken up a stir-fry like they do in Chinese restaurants when they add cornstarch? Would I just add it to a bit of cold stock and add it the stir-fry?

Sorry for all the questions this is all new to me!

TIA!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Diva Bunny, I put the glucomannon in a cheese shaker or salt shaker. Then I sprinkle and stir. I do his at the end of cooking. Glucomannan is excellent in stir fry. I use it in conjunction with xanthan for gravy, about 2/3 glucomannon and 1/3 xanthan.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
Gluco-Chia Chocolate Waffles

Well, I did a little more experimenting and did end up with some pretty tasty albeit weird-looking waffles! They look like real waffles and feel like real waffles but since they are chocolate they are very dark. The texture is a bit more tender than a regular waffle. I started with Ouizoid's super low-cal muffin idea and fooled around with it a bit and ended up with this:

6 tbs. liquid egg stuff (like Eggbeaters, I used Aldi's) 45 cals
1/4 cup chia gel - 25 cals?
1/4 cup unsweetened Almond Breeze - 10 cals
A couple drops liquid Splenda -0
1 tsp. baking powder - 2 cals
1/4 tsp. baking soda - o cals
2 tbs. oat fiber -0
2 tbs. Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa -20
1/4 tsp. glucomannan powder - 0

Total - ~102 cals for two full-size round waffles
I didn't calculate carbs since I was aiming for a low-cal filler food for my JUDDD down days. Carbs should be pretty low.

Method:

Combine oat fiber, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.

In another bowl, beat egg product until foamy. Add in chia gel and beat a little more. Add sweetener (this needs some type of sweetener). Add combined dry products and mix well to form batter. Then shake the almond milk with the 1/4tsp glu powder, and pour into batter. Mix well, and let sit a bit while you warm up your waffle iron. Batter will be a little stiff, not easily pourable.

Note: When waffle iron is ready, use plenty of Pam on it since these can be sticky
Note: I tried mixing the glu powder with the dry ingredients, but like the texture better when mixing the almond milk with the glu powder first

Since the batter is not really waffle-texture runny, instead of pouring the batter onto the waffle iron, what worked for me was to plop a heaping tablespoon or so onto each waffle "section" of the iron. Then, just waffle-ize until done!

The outsides turned out fairly crispy. The insides were tender and raised a little bit. They are good and chocolately--I had planned to plate them and use SF log cabin syrup on them, but just ended up eating them out-of-hand as they were, kinda like soft cookies.

These might also be good with peanut flour instead of the cocoa.

Two waffles, minus the couple sections DH ate, were very very filling.

I don't know if this would work as a pancake batter, didn't try.

Last edited by penguinpower; 03-04-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oooooo PP! Yummy! gonna try later today!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cdilday
Stats: 378/212/145
WOE: hHCG 6-19-11, 9-10-11
Start Date: December 2008 LC
Cheap Chocolate Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Good Morning!

Experiment #3~ 1 cup of black coffee, 1 cup of almond milk, 1 tbs sf vanilla syrup, 1 tbs cocoa powder and 1 rounded tsp glu powder!

45 calories, makes two 1 cup puddings! Yummuy
Yes! This made a really tasty chocolate pudding. I used less cocoa because I used choc almond milk (what I had on hand), and used almond syrup rather than vanilla. The 1 cup portion was very filling and satisfying, even better after it chilled overnight.

Thanks for all these experiments!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

FAB lunch

Southwestern turkey eggdrop glu soup

1/2 package 99% ff ground turkey sauteed with taco spices and pepper sauce

Add 1 carton broth (I used mushroom). Quick before it heats up--sprinkle on 1 tsp Glu powder and whisk whisk whisk til it thickens. If you wait til the broth is hot the glu will clump. Once it has thickened, whisk in some Southwestern eggbeaters. Add pepper sauce or tabasco to taste. Delicious, thick, filling and very low calorie/carb
Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdilday View Post
Yes! This made a really tasty chocolate pudding. I used less cocoa because I used choc almond milk (what I had on hand), and used almond syrup rather than vanilla. The 1 cup portion was very filling and satisfying, even better after it chilled overnight.

Thanks for all these experiments!
Yours sounds yummy! Glad you like the coffee pudding! I like mine better after too, after it sits overnight.

Ouisue! that sounds very tasty. I too want to say thanks for all the experiments!! I'm loving my glu powder. Today is a DD and I think I want to make your soup.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI y'all!

I GOT MY GLUC!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have the calories and carbs and fiber per teaspoon?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I added the gluc powder to my egular protein shake which is chocolate and it made an awesome chocolate protein pudding. YUMM!!

I wanted something warm, but today is my low calorie DD on JUDDD, so I took 2 cups homemade organic chicken bone stock, placed it cold in my wok and added 1 tsp gluc powder. I whisked while it heated up and it thickened so fast and so thick!! I added salt, ginger, garlic and tarragon.

Next time I'll use half as much gluc (very very thick like pudding) and use rosemary and black pepper.

This is the best chicken gravy I've ever tasted! Not slimy at all, but silky and smooth on the tongue.

I could only eat half a bowl!! That is soooo unusual for me.

I LOVE THIS STUFFFFFFF!!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah rlf, I am finding that soups with glu are really good as long as the flavour is strong--also be sure and whisk the glu in before the liquids get too hot
Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What are y'all counting the GLUC flour as....carbs...calories...fiber?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Everything is zero. It is supposed to be 100% fiber.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Drj!

I read that, but I also read that the gluc noodles are 40 calories and 4 carbs, so it stands to reason that the flour would carry some cals as well.

What do y'all think?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rlf. Those are the tofu ones. The miracle noodles are zer everything
Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Rlf. Those are the tofu ones. The miracle noodles are zer everything
THANK YOU!
YAYAYAY! I've been counting them in my plan and I didn't need to?? LOL!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
RFL - there are at least three different varieties of shiratake noodles that I've come across. So far the only ones I've found that claim to be zero everything are the name-brand Miracle Noodles. I have to order those, and I do! The House noodles that I can buy locally have calories and carbs and tofu, and there's another one (can't recall the name just now) that calls itself yam shiratake, and the package of that one that I tried also had some cals and carbs with it. There may be others, I guess it just depends on which brand you buy as to whether you're getting "absolutely nothing" for your $$$ or whether you're getting a few cals and carbs for the money lol.

Also, the glu powder has nutritional info on it that claims 0 cals for a teaspoon, so I consider it a free food.

Love the stuff!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #176
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I just made up a big pot of beef stew in the pressure cooker - when it was done, I stirred in a scant 1/2 tsp. glu powder (sprinkled over the top) and it made it the PERFECT thickness. I'm learning how to use this stuff!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
RFL - there are at least three different varieties of shiratake noodles that I've come across. So far the only ones I've found that claim to be zero everything are the name-brand Miracle Noodles. I have to order those, and I do! The House noodles that I can buy locally have calories and carbs and tofu, and there's another one (can't recall the name just now) that calls itself yam shiratake, and the package of that one that I tried also had some cals and carbs with it. There may be others, I guess it just depends on which brand you buy as to whether you're getting "absolutely nothing" for your $$$ or whether you're getting a few cals and carbs for the money lol.

Also, the glu powder has nutritional info on it that claims 0 cals for a teaspoon, so I consider it a free food.

Love the stuff!
Thanks Donna!!

The noodles I use are yam flour with lime water. From China. Not the brand name "Miracle Noodles. They do list 40 calories per 9 ounce bag and 4 carbs.

The gluc flour I bought has no nutritional info.

Gee, I've eaten stuff with the gluc flour ALL day, I hope I don't explode or something!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
OMG, I've been gone for over a year and when I come back I see that you have all "jumped the shark!" A six page GLUC thread? Whoever would have thought?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

RETRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE MISSSSSSED YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey All!!

I used my GLUC-thickened shakes all day and while they really helped my appetite, I am concerned about weight gain from all the "fiber."

I really shoulda waited until after tomorrow's weigh in to try it, but I was so blasted excited to give it a whirl and today was a DD, soooooooooo, I was ALL over it!~

All you Gluc users, do you limit your intake of it? Do you ever see weight gain if you overdo it?

Thanks!