Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #1171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
MM--I have done so in the past--saute the meat, add some meat broth if you don't have enough liquid, and then sprinkle on the glu, 1/4 tsp at a time stirring well in between til it is the consistency you like. I did the same trick with a whole package of ground FF turkey. I ended up liking adding chia seeds more to it than glu, because the chia made it more juicy rather than gelled.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #1172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks Ouizoid, I didn't know whether to thicken the broth or sprinkle.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #1173
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I haven't searched this thread in case someone already developed this recipe, but it is pretty good..

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...nan-pasta.html
Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #1174
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jcainkz
Hi all. So here's what I get from reading 40 pages of thread on how to make gluc noodles. :-)

Mix 1/8 pickling lime to 2 cups of water
Mix in 2 (I see 2 1/4 from some) gluc
Let sit from 4-10 min
Load extruder
Drop in boiling water (not violently boiling) for 10 min

Sound right? I will use a Pasta Pronto Gourmet Pasta Maker I bought from Amazon. You basically squeeze the goop out of it :-)

Let me know of any other advice. Trying this upcoming week!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #1175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
Sounds pretty good to me. Let sit at least 10 min. check viscosity with finger before extruding.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #1176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
I want to make konnayaku jelly candies but I can't find the us conversion for the measurements. Does anyone know what the conversion would be for the recipe below?

# 10 g konnyaku powder
# 180 g sugar
# 700 ml water (portion 1)
# 200 ml water (portion 2)
# different food coloring

1. 1 Boil the water (portion 1) with low heat.
2. 2 mix konnyaku power and sugar together. mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. 3 add the mixture into the simmering boiling water and bring to boil again. mix well till the power & sugar dissolved completely.
4. 4 after boiling, add in the remaining portion of the water & bring to boil again.
5. 5 divide the mixture into 2 or more portions and add in your desired colours.
6. 6 fill into mould of different shapes or sizes & leave it to cool.
7. 7 (if u prefer a cold jelly,put them inside a refrigerator for 3-4hrs).
Hi Maru, did you end up making these, and what was the texture like? is it like a firm jelly baby candy, or more just like a standard jello in smaller portions? Im wanting to make some turkish delight :P
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #1177
Junior LCF Member

I made the noodles! Awesome outcome! Can post a pic but don't know how to...
Old 08-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #1178
Major LCF Poster!

What are you you using to extrude the gel into the water?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #1179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Fozzie - I wonder if I'd have better luck with the oat fiber/gluc combo noodles - could you advise of the actual amounts you are using? Thanks!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #1180
Junior LCF Member

Pasta extruder from amazon.

Works pretty well, $9 plus shipping.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #1181
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys, I've decided I like the oat fiber variant of the gluc noodles better. I use the basic gluc recipe and add an equal or a little more oat fiber than the gluc(I've used as much as twice the gluc). The noodles float as soon as they hit the water where as the gluc noodles sink and float while cooking. I like the color better also.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #1182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
thanks for sharing, Fozzie. I'm always interested to read what you've been up to in the kitchen
Old 09-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #1183
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Fozzie, how does your extruder work with the added oat fiber? I found that my condiment bottle didn't do a good job with the addition of the oat fiber, it was really difficult to squeeze it out. It may work if I use one with a bigger opening.

I'm interested in trying the pasta extruder that Jcainkz posted.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #1184
Major LCF Poster!

Actually it's as easy to extrude or easier because the gel is "lighter" or less dense.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #1185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Yaz- I'm interested in how the extruder works out for you. It never worked that well for me.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #1186
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
Actually it's as easy to extrude or easier because the gel is "lighter" or less dense.
I think my problem was that I added a LOT of oat fiber! Next time I'll try using less to see how that turns out.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #1187
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Yaz- I'm interested in how the extruder works out for you. It never worked that well for me.
I'm going to try using less oat fiber next time and if it still doesn't work well with my condiment bottle I'll buy the pasta machine posted earlier in this thread.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #1188
Major LCF Poster!

How tough it is to push has to do with how long you let it gel before you try to extrude.
Reg. gluc gel is quite tough if left long enough even with what I use to extrude.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #1189
Junior LCF Member

Oat Fiber in Gluc Noodles

so how much oat fiber into the gluc noodle recipe? 2 teaspoons as well? how long do i let it sit? was 10 min originally...
Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #1190
Major LCF Poster!

That's what I do about equal amounts of each 2 tsps. let gel 10mins. squirt repeat.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #1191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sjanette
WOE: Low Carb/Keto, minimum on gluten and sugarfree
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post
OK - so I got hungry for Sourdough. I guess that is pretty much my MO - I get hungry for something and then the creative juices start fulminating.

What I get sometimes is anyones guess. :blush: Anyway - this time I ended up with some pretty descent sourdough rolls that I'm happy to share with you all. Gotta say - the smell permating the house was wonderful and I ate one hot out of the oven. Yummy!!!! It is a little more time consuming because you need to let the yeast startesit for a bit - but the texture and taste tuned out very good. Not sure how that will change overnight - but I'll let you know.

Also, I'll try to upload the pictures - gotta admit that I haven't had too much luck with that . . . but I'll see if I can get my "technical brain" in gear.

Cheers
Marca

PS Apologies to anyone dealing with Candida - I know this recipe is something you would need to pass on.

Glucomannan Sourdough Rolls
Yeast Starter
1/2 c Warm water
3 tbsp Instant Yeast
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp xylitol

Dough
4 lg Eggs
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 tsp Garlic Salt
7 tsp Glucomannan
1/4 c flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)

Instructions:
Yeast Starter" About an hour or so ahead of time mix the starter up and let it rise in a warm place.

Then when your ready to do the rolls:

Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add Coconut Oil, and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
Add the Yeast Starter and the Flax Seed.

At that point the batter is thick enough to spoon easily onto a cookie sheet. It isn't quite as "sticky" as the cheese bread and will spread easily into a 3.5 - 4 inch diameter.

I spooned 6 "rolls" out onto a cookie sheet and cooked them at 350 degrees for about 20" (Maybe 25")

I didn't let the rolls sit before I cooked them. If I had perhaps they might have actually risen a bit more. Might be worth a try next time.

I got 6 rolls out of it.

Total Calories 670 (Which ='s 111.6 Calories per roll.
Total Carbs 53.3
Total Fiber 43.3

Total Carbs 53.3 - Total Fiber 43.3 = 10.3
Which equals out to 1.71 carbs per roll.
I want to try this recipe, but I only have fresh yeast. So I went to the Yeast converter Yeast converter | equivalent yeast amounts calculator and it says 76,54 grams of fresh yeast OMG that's a lot! Does somebody already use fresh yeast?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #1192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/106/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Metric equivalents

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Here is the recipe I've been using for the coconut oil Chocolate bark (I tweaked someone elses basic recipe):

Chocolate Bark

1/2 cup Coconut oil
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup sweetener blend (recipe follows, but use whatever sweetener you prefer to taste)
2 TBsp Oat Fiber (I tried more, and this is what I found best, could use less if you prefer)
1 TBsp sesame seeds (optional)
1/2 tsp Kelp pwd (very optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Vanilla DaVinci (again optional, and to taste if used)
Glucomannan powder (hmmmm I don't seem to have written that down. And I'm sorry, but I can't really remember. 1/4 tsp maybe up to 1 tsp?)

Powdered Sweetener Blend

1/8 c Erythritol
1/8 cup Xylitol
1 pkg Sweet One
1/4 tsp Stevia (pure extract)

Put all in blender jar/container & blend well into a powder.

Like I said, use your favorite sweetener for this. Because of the synergy & the fact it fluffs when powdered, the 1/4 of this sweetener is equal to more than 1/4 sweetening.
You might want to add a dash of salt to this bark too, especially if you leave out the Kelp. I think I've actually been adding just a dash or so (tiny pinch).
For UK/Europeans who use metric, I used

Coconut oil 110g
cocoa 20g
1/4 cup sweetener blend (recipe follows, but use whatever sweetener you prefer, to taste)*
Oat Fiber 10g (scant 2 T)
vanilla extract 1tsp/5ml
chocolate extract 1/2 tsp/2.5ml
Glucomannan powder 1/2 tsp

Powdered Sweetener Blend

Sukrin 4 T
Xylitol 4 T

I chose these as they're more readily available to me than anything else tho' it does mean I didn't reproduce this recipe. t ground these to a fine powder - but not fine enough (I think)

Not being from a bark-making family, I melted the CO with 2 T of the powdered sweetener. I then added the cocoa and oat fibre and heated again (as I think UK cocoa is a tad bitter to leave uncooked in that quantity). After than I added the extracts and stirred, and then sifted and stirred in the glucomannan powder.

The mixture looked a tad grainy with a small layer of CO on top. I kept stirring it and used a turkey baster to put a small shot of the mix into silicone madeleine and chocolate moulds.

I placed the mix in the fridge to set up. When I removed the moulds from the fridge, the top of each chocolate (i.e., its foot) had (to me) an unappetising waxy layer of CO. However, each chocolate turned out beautifully with a shiny, snappy bite to it.

I would powder the sweeteners for far longer than you think reasonable - and, next time, I might add the oat fibre and powder them together to see if I can amend the slight grittiness. Depending on how that goes, I might then experiment with powdering them together with the cocoa. I don't know if adding in a small amount of lecithin might have emulsified everything together nicely or just added in more graininess.

The vanilla is pleasant but I think this would also work well with a citrus oil or something like Fiori di Sicilia.

The madeleine and chocolate moulds make 2 bites out of each serving. I should think it's possible to set this in a very shallow mould, freeze it, and cut it into very fine chocolate chips to serve in a 'sundae' or as a mix-in for a suitable ice-cream.

Thank you crazywoman-n-wy for the very first bark recipe that I've ever made

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-20-2014 at 12:37 PM..