Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #1111
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm trying the pumpkin pudding now.
I made mine as follows:
1/4 cup pumpkin puree (20 calories)
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (20 calories)
1/4 cup pumpkin Skinny Syrup (0 calories)
3/4 tsp gluc powder (7.5 calories)
a few sprinkles of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
3 drops ez-sweetz

Whole container= 47.5 calories
This was really good. I split it into 4 servings so about 12 calories a serving and I also stirred some walden farms marshmallow dip into it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #1112
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Sooooooooooo, I tried to make chocolate pasta last night and let me tell you how much of a disaster it was.
That's interesting. I made cocoa Pasta ( real flour pasta) just the other week. that and turmeric pasta. there was only 1/4c seasoning per 3/4 cup flour but it took a lot of work to knead it together so it would hold together and that was with regular flour. I can't imagine a large addition of dry spice would hold together very well with gluc. I've never been able to heavily spice/season my gluc and have them hold together as noodles. Now making a block of seasoned jam might be different.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Hm, I made the cheese bread, and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed by the egginess--like a more substantial oopsie roll. Still felt more like I was eating a dry cheese omelet than bread. (I realize this makes sense given the ingredients, I guess I was just expecting magic with the gluco.) I'll definitely keep experimenting with the gluco though.

*high-fives metga for Pratchett quote, points at own screen name.*

Last edited by Perdita; 02-03-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #1114
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Hahaa Cool!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #1115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2013
You all have given me so many ideas now I have to get an order into Netrition.
Thanks so much.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #1116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
That's interesting. I made cocoa Pasta ( real flour pasta) just the other week. that and turmeric pasta. there was only 1/4c seasoning per 3/4 cup flour but it took a lot of work to knead it together so it would hold together and that was with regular flour. I can't imagine a large addition of dry spice would hold together very well with gluc. I've never been able to heavily spice/season my gluc and have them hold together as noodles. Now making a block of seasoned jam might be different.
Makes me wonder how they make the spinach shirataki. I suppose you can flavor the water/liquid but not the powder. I know elsewhere here heavy cream was substituted for all/part of the liquid.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #1117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: suzyq01
How to use gluc question

Hi - newbie here and I have to say this is all totally new to me.

I found a fudge recipe from the kevinpa memorial thread. And I'm really excited about trying it BUT . . . it calls for 4T of not/sugar which I have since learned is not available anymore. I read that gluc might be a good replacement.

The recipe also calls for 2 cups erythritol, 1 splenda pack, 2T diabetisweet and the 4T of not/sugar. Does anyone know if I can just substitute the gluc for the not/sugar in equal proportions? I really have no clue! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #1118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Sorry, but no. Gluc is a thickener, NOT a sweetener.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #1119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I think you will find that spinach shiritaki is a lot like spinach pasta...........more color than actual nutrition.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #1120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Michelle, your pudding looks divine! Gonna make some of this for sure!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #1121
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Sorry, but no. Gluc is a thickener, NOT a sweetener.
Thank you tofucheez for info. Guess I'll have to keep searching the internet for a replacement. Oh drat!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #1122
Senior LCF Member

SuzyQ-you'd get a better response if you posted on the "recipe help and suggestions" section. Lots of experienced cooks frequent there...not everyone reads the gluc thread!

the recipe for fudge you refer to seems to have alot of sweetener already, so I'm not sure what the not sugar stuff does differently, but I'm sure if you post on the other section you'll get the help you want
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #1123
Junior LCF Member

I'll do that right now - thanks tofucheez for the advice!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #1124
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crikarlshamn
How to make konnayaku jelly from scratch?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and a novice.

Have read through a lot of your glucomannan recipes but I fail with my tries to make jelly.

I use pure glucomannan powder (konjac root flour) and today did I mix:

1 cup of water
Juice of half a lemon
(forgot the freshly grated ginger)
Large soup spoon of maple syrup
2 large teaspoons of glucomannan powder

The water/lemon juice and maple syrup mix was strong in taste.

Mixed glucomannan in with Magic bullet and colour become greyish not transparent. Not end of the world but taste is very bland, ro say the least.

Looking for a way to make these jellies without refined sugar, sugar substitute would be great but as maple syrup and honey have other advantages, I'd be happy with that.

Wish you all a lovely day, Christina

Last edited by crikarlshamn; 03-13-2013 at 06:35 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #1125
Major LCF Poster!

Mayple syrup and honey are just plain sucrose......do a search for jellies and you will find some great recipes using commercial packaged jelly mixes I think just substituting Gluc powder and a sugar sub. would work fine.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #1126
Junior LCF Member

Hello Fozzie99,
Thank you for replying.

I do know my Sacharoses well and as I wrote, "Looking for a way to make these jellies without refined sugar, sugar substitute would be great but as maple syrup and honey have other advantages, I'd be happy with that."

Do not have access to the commercial packaged jelly mixes you have. Only have pure glucomannan.

My main issues are:
1. taste of flavouring and water mix was strong before mixing in the glucomannan, then completely bland. Anyone know if this is normal?
2. Gel became greyish not transparent

Many thanks to anyone who has an answer to these
Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #1127
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I was hesitant to reply to this, because I really don't know your answer.

I don't know why you lost flavor, nor about the color.

But,,, I think you should heat your blended juice & gluc to achieve a jelly. That may actually bring the color back to more of a clear consistency also, tho I'm not sure. It might also bring the flavor back, but that I'm certainly not sure about. Really have no idea on that one.
As I've never made jelly with lemon juice nor those sweeteners in any form, I really know nothing about them.

I really do think you need to heat it up tho! Not sure how much gluc you should add to that mixture. Do be sure you blend the gluc into the liquid well tho (the magic bullet method you used would be good) before you start heating.

Wish I could be of more help.

Oh, and I think fozzy was referring to using the recipes for the other jellies, and subbing out the gluc for the pectins they called for. (well, I don't just think, that is what he said)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #1128
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Billie!
It gelled up so beautifully in the MB I never thought of heating afterwards.
Also found from a lot of googling, that a lot of "ready to use" packages contains calcium hydroxide which might give the translucency.
As to the taste...?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #1129
Major LCF Poster!

The recipes on line always require cooking. The gel made from gluc is heat dependant when made after it forms it will not melt from heat. I've noticed that gluc seems to suck the flavor out of things so you need to up the flavor components of the recipes. Commercial jelly mixes are available online you can order them from some of the sites even from ebay.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #1130
Senior LCF Member

yes, gluc really dampens the flavor of whatever you add it to. For exa,ple, I use it to thicken pumpkin pie. I have to add A LOT LOT LOT more spices than I would without it.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #1131
Junior LCF Member

Hello Fozzie and Tofucheez!

I found some recipes that did not require cooking but maybe this is why my jelly did not become transparent.

Gel is still holding today but will make som new tomorrow, heating and doubble strength. Thank you.

I searched in vain all day yesterday for a seller on ebay, amazon and other sites that sell these commercial jelly mixes online and it is a good tip Fozzie, I appreciate . Unfortenately shipping was always exorbitant. Do not mind paying a bit but USD30 for a package? Contacted several sellers and bulk did not change much.

Also found it difficult to findsomeone who listed the ingredients and when I did find some... no thanks, I just have to be persistant and find how to use my 100% pure glucomannan.

Need to find out what purpose the calcium hydroxide/ Pickling lime has in the mixture.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #1132
Junior LCF Member

Hello again,
Fozzie, I found one of your old replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
(This last time I followed the recipe from Konjac website, dissolving 1 t pickling lime in 2 cups cold water & adding 2 t glucomannan, using stick blender and then heating. This last time was worse as I got gloops of gloppy masses in a thin liquid.) In my experience this is to much lime. 8 times to much 1/8 teaspoon works well. I make batches all the time never have problems unless amounts are off or don't mix well while adding ingredients.
Website you refer to is great, as to the trouble - did you use teaspoons or tablespoons that time?
Konjac Foods Konjac Glucomannan Powder

And also found this but this is puddings not jelly and do not require cooking but will try as I have just made a new batch of homemade almond milk.

I need to bake and cook all my own food, too many allergies and intolerances

From below website "It only takes 1 teaspoon of powder to turn a cup of clear liquid into a gel and about 2 teaspoons of powder to get a thick liquid to set up into a pudding or pie filling."
I then assume:
gel=1tsp
pudding=2tsp
jelly=2-3tbs

I used 2 to my cup and it did set like a jelly though... to be retried.

Living Low Carb with Glucomannan Powder

Low Carb Coconut Almond Milk Pudding Recipe

3 tablespoons Da Vinci Coconut Sugar-Free Syrup (I'll use maple syrup)
1cup less 3 tbsp Unsweetened Original Almond Breeze (I'll use home made)
2 teaspoons glucomannan powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut (will add add cinnamon and cardamom instead)

Put the sugar-free syrup in the bottom of a 1 cup measuring cup. Add almond milk to fill cup the rest of the way.
Pour the syrup and almond milk mixture into a small bowl like the one pictured and whisk until well blended.
Gradually whisk in glucomannan powder.
Stir in coconut with a spoon.
Chill for at least 1/2 hour.
This makes a very filling 3 net carbs pudding.

Last edited by crikarlshamn; 03-14-2013 at 06:29 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #1133
Major LCF Poster!

That recipe you quote wasn't mine it was someone else asking my advice. I always use 1/8 tsp lime 2cups cold water 2 tsps gluc powder for noodles. 1 tbsp gluc for konnyaku blocks.
I just did an ebay search for konnyaku jelly and found several offerings with free shipping and reasonable prices.

Last edited by fozzie99; 03-14-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #1134
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by crikarlshamn View Post
Hello Fozzie and Tofucheez!

I found some recipes that did not require cooking but maybe this is why my jelly did not become transparent.

Gel is still holding today but will make som new tomorrow, heating and doubble strength. Thank you.

I searched in vain all day yesterday for a seller on ebay, amazon and other sites that sell these commercial jelly mixes online and it is a good tip Fozzie, I appreciate . Unfortenately shipping was always exorbitant. Do not mind paying a bit but USD30 for a package? Contacted several sellers and bulk did not change much.

Also found it difficult to findsomeone who listed the ingredients and when I did find some... no thanks, I just have to be persistant and find how to use my 100% pure glucomannan.

Need to find out what purpose the calcium hydroxide/ Pickling lime has in the mixture.
As you found, it WILL set up without the heat, but I think that heating it even a little after mixing with bring about a clearer jelly. But that is just my thoughts on it. Not certain.
I make a glaze (PamnKY's reciepe) which is cooked for a short time. And it comes out pretty clear. (It is a glaze, not a jelly, and uses Koolaid as the flavor base.) The citric acid in the koolaid seems to help it "keep" for quite a long while. But since you are using lemon juice as you jelly base (flavor), you wouldn't need added acid. If you used another fruit, you might. That again is a might.

Personally I now don't buy other packaged jelly mixes other than Pomona's. All others I have found so far contain maltodrextrin (sugar which equals carbs). IF you can find locally any pure pectin, you might be able to use that especially if you find the calcium like what is used in the Pomona's. I'm sure the shipping on the Pomona's no matter where you found it would also be very high.
But,,,,, you might find you don't need any pectin with the gluc. I'd go with small batches till I found what worked!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #1135
Junior LCF Member

Thank you both,

Fozzie, Maybe someone else living in Europe would benefit if you post where or whom ship with reasonable prices?

Billie, I will retry my original recipie with my pure glucomannan tomorrow morning, 9pm here right now.

Wish you both a lovely evening.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #1136
Senior LCF Member

by "jelly" do you mean konnyaku? or do you mean a spread like jam?

I have a jar of unsweetened apricots that I plan to whir up with some gluc to make a jam-like spread. I haven't done it yet because I don't want a slimey product, like the gluc puddings, but you got me thinking that perhaps I could cook it for a better consistency. i may add a titch of pickling lime, as well. Then I think it will firm up kinda like the Walden Farms jams.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #1137
Junior LCF Member

Tofucheez,

Here you can see I'm not 100% anglophone, thank you!
Jelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Swedish a gelé, is like jell-o.
Gelé - Wikipedia

Sweet konnyaku, like jell-o is my goal.
similar to this;
Konnyaku Fruit Jelly Recipe | Let's Get Fat Together

But in bed with fever so only if I find the strength later on.

Happy day to you all.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #1138
Junior LCF Member

Hello again,
Great taste this time, nice jell-o type concistency but not tranclucent.

For liquid of half a cup
Mixed very well 3cm3 of peeled ginger in 0.5 dl water in a Magic bullet, strained.
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbs maple syrup
2 tsp pure glucomannan

I mixed and heated but really the heat does nothing to the concistency.
Spread out to a 3mm thick cake and ready to cut in 30min

Refreshing and lovely, specially when sick in bed "smile".
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #1139
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I am really craving chicken pot pie (no crust). I found a recipe on Linda Sue's website but don't know how much gluc to use. Her recipe calls for 1c chicken broth and 1c heavy cream and 1 1/2tsp xanath gum(sp?).

Anyone have any idea how much gluc powder I would use in place of the xgum? Don't want to buy anything else for thickening since I have a lifetime supply of gluc

TIA!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #1140
Senior LCF Member

Mobear-

Hopefully someone else will chime in here, but I would guess maybe 1 tsp? If you decide to "wing it" and add a little at a time, remember that gluc thickens more the longer it stands, so add a little, then be patient and WAIT to see how much it thickens over 15 minutes

PS this is a lesson learned the hard way....several times!