Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #1081
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UncaAndoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I used my biggest stockpot and could see how it would be useful - but mine just wouldn't hold together in the noodle shape. After a few minutes they just turned into gel sitting on top of the water.
I don't know anything, but I'm willing to bet it's due to your lime substitute. I think it's the fact that pickling lime is alkaline that it sets the noodles, whereas the substitute isn't. Too bad you waited so long and had a bad first try.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #1082
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaAndoo View Post
I don't know anything, but I'm willing to bet it's due to your lime substitute. I think it's the fact that pickling lime is alkaline that it sets the noodles, whereas the substitute isn't. Too bad you waited so long and had a bad first try.
it figures!
I waited and waited and was SO worried I couldn't do it - I'll be darned if I couldn't!

I need to get the right pickling lime, I'm sure. SHEESH!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #1083
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpearl View Post
I made a mock cream of Mushroom 50 cals 7.4 carbs
8oz mushrooms I chopped most of it in the ninja ( I kept 4 out to slice)
1 tsp gluc
1 can chicken stock 50 cals
1 tsp garlic powder 1tsp onion powdwer
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp chopped onions
yum great for dd
I made this tonight and WOW this is a keeper!

When I want to make green bean casserole, I look at the carbs and all the weird ingredients on the can of the cream of mushroom soup.
There is nothing in that soup that makes me want to taste it.
It's just the thing that makes me able to make the green bean casserole.

This is delicious! I added 2 oz. cream cheese and I added 1/4 cup Hood Calorie Countdown milk (it's very low in carbs).
My husband and I kept "sampling" it while it was cooling.
DELICIOUS! and thank you!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #1084
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013

this is what you need to use. It's a chemical process, I don't think a substitute will provide the same stabilizing reaction.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #1085
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

this is what you need to use. It's a chemical process, I don't think a substitute will provide the same stabilizing reaction.

You are a dear - I'm off to the store!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #1086
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
OK - I failed at this.
Twice.

And I see my "pickling lime" is calcium chloride.
"Use in any recipe. Replaces hassle of lime."

I got it at Wal-Mart next to the canning items. Is this the wrong stuff, darnit?

I mixed 1/8 tsp. of the calcium chloride with 2 cups water and mixed it up with my immersion blender. Then I removed 1 cup (not using my noodler yet just wanted a smaller amount to work with) and into the remaining 1 cup I placed 1 tsp. Konjac.

After about 10 minutes it was gel. I squired the gel into gently boiling water. The ribbons went to the bottom of the pot, then very soon afterward floated to the top of the water. Shortly thereafter they became fused together as gel at the top of gently simmering water. They did not remain "noodles".

The second time I tried this, I added about 1/4 tsp. more Konjac and the gel was more firm when I squirted it in the boiling water, but the same thing happened - all massed together on top to form gel - no noodles.

Judy,

When I squirt my gel into the water with my condiment dispenser I do it slowly and add strands to "empty" area's of the pot. As the "new" noodles rise to the top, I gently swirl the existing noodles away from the new ones rising to the top with a chopstick and keep them from touching until they are firm (just a few seconds) and that way they don't stick to each other.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #1087
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Judy,

When I squirt my gel into the water with my condiment dispenser I do it slowly and add strands to "empty" area's of the pot. As the "new" noodles rise to the top, I gently swirl the existing noodles away from the new ones rising to the top with a chopstick and keep them from touching until they are firm (just a few seconds) and that way they don't stick to each other.
Thank you so much!
When I get the right pickling lime I will do that!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #1088
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ravenpearl
I am so glad you liked it

Quote:
I made this tonight and WOW this is a keeper!

When I want to make green bean casserole, I look at the carbs and all the weird ingredients on the can of the cream of mushroom soup.
There is nothing in that soup that makes me want to taste it.
It's just the thing that makes me able to make the green bean casserole.

This is delicious! I added 2 oz. cream cheese and I added 1/4 cup Hood Calorie Countdown milk (it's very low in carbs).
My husband and I kept "sampling" it while it was cooling.
DELICIOUS! and thank you!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #1089
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ravenpearl
I made a strawberry omm
1/4 cup oat fiber
1 tsp gluc
2 packs stevia
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 and 1/2 strawberry diced
1 cap strawberry extract
2 tbls vanilla syrup sf
1/2 TBS hwc(0ptional)
mix dry ingredients with wet and cook as you normally would
yum.......
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #1090
Major LCF Poster!

I have seen Mrs. Wages canning products all over my town, but the only thing they don't have is the pickling lime! I can hardly believe it.

I guess I'll order it online.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #1091
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Really? Have you tried calling around town? Sometimes smaller stores have things the bigger stores don't. For example I find more canning tools and stuff in the local Pigly wigly than in the kroger store before they upgraded.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #1092
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Really? Have you tried calling around town? Sometimes smaller stores have things the bigger stores don't. For example I find more canning tools and stuff in the local Pigly wigly than in the kroger store before they upgraded.
No - I think I'll call around a little.

Our State university has an extension office I should call, too.
This should be here - somewhere.

I even went to the health food store that has all kinds of odd things - but not this.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #1093
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Judy,

I found mine at a hispanic grocer. The pickling lime is used to make tortilla's.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #1094
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Judy,

I found mine at a hispanic grocer. The pickling lime is used to make tortilla's.
YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST.
THE BEST.

Will look later today at an hispanic grocery!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #1095
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I just made some pretty bomb pumpkin glucc pudding.

1C Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4C Libby's Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4tsp pumpkin pie spice
1tsp glucomannan powder
3 pumps DaVincis Vanilla syrup(It could have used more)

Put it all in blender or magic bullet and wizz. Let sit for at least 20 min in fridge.

61 calories; 3.8g fat; 6.79g carb;3.6g fiber;3.19g net carb

Last edited by MsWoods; 01-30-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #1096
Major LCF Poster!

WOW Michelle I am not sure I can tell you how much I love ALL things pumpkin!!
Off to make this right now!!

This is the kind of thing I need to be able to enjoy without indulging in too many calories - which unfortunately still count for me!

Thank you!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #1097
Big Yapper!!!!

I watch my calories as well. This taste pretty much like the inside of a pumpkin pie. It does need a bit more sweetener IMO, so next time I'll add more. All I had at work was SF DaVincis, though.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #1098
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Ms Woods--I really like that weird "skin" that forms on the top of a pumpkin pie after it has been in the fridge awhile. So I make up a pumpkin mixture similar to yours, except I add protein powder to it (pea and rice protein). Then I put it in ramekins and bake them off. When cool I put them in the fridge and they are JUST like pumpkin pie, complete with the "skin." It's become my favorite thing the last 6 months and I eat it nearly everyday.

I put the protein powder in there to give the mix the body and dimension that the typical eggs/dairy give pumpkin pie. I don't do dairy or eggs, hence the protein powder choices......and no, pea protein powder does NOT taste like peas!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #1099
Big Yapper!!!!

Sooooooooooo, I tried to make chocolate pasta last night and let me tell you how much of a disaster it was. It was horrible lol. I guess I should have tried to make regular noodles first (I've never made them from scratch), but I was experimenting in the kitchen and I thought it would be fun. Everything went well, even to the point that I put the noodles in the boiling water and they were simmering. I was very excited at this point.

About 3 minutes later everything fell apart and became a big melted glop in the water. Dang it. I had such high hopes.

Now for the real travesty. I've got about 2tbsp of glucc powder left.

I also made some of Pooticus "dumplings" last night using french onion soup. I found some at Walmart that has 30cals, 5g carbs per cup. Thought it would flavor the dumplings nicely. It took forever for them to firm up, they were a bit thick, but they were pretty tasty. I've got some left at home I'll try to take a picture today.

Last edited by MsWoods; 01-31-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #1100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
For the times that your recipe doesn't really require a noodle/spaghetti shape, this works, tastes good and is so easy.

Use the fozzie99's recipe except to one cup of the lime/water, add 2 teaspoons konjac powder, whiz it up and pour into a 10 or 12 inch skillet, let it set until it gels. I increased the powder since it wasn't being added to boiling water. The more powder you add, the more texture to the dumpling.

At this point when it has jelled up, I use a pizza cutter to cut it into little dumplings. Add 1 cup of plain water to skillet with the gel dumplings and cook about 10 minutes of so, you'll get the feel of what texture you want as the water cooks down, then you can proceed with your recipe.

I originally did this like the guy on the internet, just sprinkled konjac powder in and covered it with plain water until it jelled but I like this way better, either way there's no fishy smell, you control the texture, we know the water source and save some money too.
I have seen this, but had forgotten all about it!!!!

Quote:
OK - I failed at this.
Twice.

And I see my "pickling lime" is calcium chloride.
"Use in any recipe. Replaces hassle of lime."

I got it at Wal-Mart next to the canning items. Is this the wrong stuff, darnit?
I bought this too. Also all I could find. I used to see the pickling lime all the time, but have not found it since I started reading this thread. I had bought the lime substitute hoping it would work. Right after i bought it, Fozzie had posted that it wouldn't work! UGH! I haven't gotten around to ordering any. And haven't found any around here. Really wish I had some, so I could experiment soon. Not really wanting to order right now. Sigh. I was still wondering if it would work, but guess you found the answer.

Quote:
I have seen Mrs. Wages canning products all over my town, but the only thing they don't have is the pickling lime! I can hardly believe it.

I guess I'll order it online.
Me too! I was really surprised that I couldn't find it around here. I do have to admit that I haven't thought to go to every store and look. We don't have any small stores here tho. All chain stores. We do have an international store, but I have never seen it there. It is more of an Asian store than anything else. Don't think there are any Hispanic stores around. If so, I don't know about them.
There is one down in AR where I go to visit every year, but I rarely get there (to that store). Maybe when I'm down there next, if I haven't gotten any elsewhere, I'll check there.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #1101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
for the pickling lime, call your Ace hardware store. i think they are "official" mrs wages carriers and may have some left from last canning season. the bags i got were only about 3 bucks. the problem can be that the clerk doesn't know what the product is so they say they don't have it......... look with the canning stuff.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #1102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Sooooooooooo, I tried to make chocolate pasta last night and let me tell you how much of a disaster it was. It was horrible lol. I guess I should have tried to make regular noodles first (I've never made them from scratch), but I was experimenting in the kitchen and I thought it would be fun. Everything went well, even to the point that I put the noodles in the boiling water and they were simmering. I was very excited at this point.

About 3 minutes later everything fell apart and became a big melted glop in the water. Dang it. I had such high hopes.

Now for the real travesty. I've got about 2tbsp of glucc powder left.

I also made some of Pooticus "dumplings" last night using french onion soup. I found some at Walmart that has 30cals, 5g carbs per cup. Thought it would flavor the dumplings nicely. It took forever for them to firm up, they were a bit thick, but they were pretty tasty. I've got some left at home I'll try to take a picture today.
Well sorry about the chocolate pasta !
But thank you for the success of the dumplings !

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I bought this too. Also all I could find. I used to see the pickling lime all the time, but have not found it since I started reading this thread. I had bought the lime substitute hoping it would work. Right after i bought it, Fozzie had posted that it wouldn't work! UGH! I haven't gotten around to ordering any. And haven't found any around here. Really wish I had some, so I could experiment soon. Not really wanting to order right now. Sigh. I was still wondering if it would work, but guess you found the answer.
Aw, Billie you're just trying to make me feel better!!
Thanks! I thought I'd been through this whole thread, but obviously I didn't take all the notes I needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
for the pickling lime, call your Ace hardware store. i think they are "official" mrs wages carriers and may have some left from last canning season. the bags i got were only about 3 bucks. the problem can be that the clerk doesn't know what the product is so they say they don't have it......... look with the canning stuff.
Again- THANK you!!

The people here are so helpful. I really need it and I really appreciate it!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #1103
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post

The brand I bought in the hispanic store is "San Miguel" and it says Cal - (Lime Powder) on the bag. I called the distributor in Toronto to confirm that is was the right lime before I bought it.

MTY SAN MIGUEL DISTRIBUTORS LLC

None of the "regular" stores up here carry Mrs. Wages and the only pickling stuff they have is a product called Pickle Crisp which is not the right stuff.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #1104
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I just made some pretty bomb pumpkin glucc pudding.

1C Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4C Libby's Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4tsp pumpkin pie spice
1tsp glucomannan powder
3 pumps DaVincis Vanilla syrup(It could have used more)

Put it all in blender or magic bullet and wizz. Let sit for at least 20 min in fridge.

61 calories; 3.8g fat; 6.79g carb;3.6g fiber;3.19g net carb
I just mixed in a heaping Tblsp. of Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip and omg that's what it needed. It's sooooooooooo good.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #1105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just mixed in a heaping Tblsp. of Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip and omg that's what it needed. It's sooooooooooo good.
LOVELY!! I liked it too!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #1106
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm trying the pumpkin pudding now.
I made mine as follows:
1/4 cup pumpkin puree (20 calories)
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (20 calories)
1/4 cup pumpkin Skinny Syrup (0 calories)
3/4 tsp gluc powder (7.5 calories)
a few sprinkles of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
3 drops ez-sweetz

Whole container= 47.5 calories
Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #1107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Hello! I'm new to this thread and haven't even bought glu powder (will be tomorrow), had a question: is this still pretty much considered to be the "master" cheese bread recipe? And for those who still make it, do you use a muffin top pan? I'm looking for something that would be a good foundation for poached eggs.

https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/r...l#post14469939
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #1108
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
Hello! I'm new to this thread and haven't even bought glu powder (will be tomorrow), had a question: is this still pretty much considered to be the "master" cheese bread recipe? And for those who still make it, do you use a muffin top pan? I'm looking for something that would be a good foundation for poached eggs.

https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/r...l#post14469939
Imo yes it is. This is probably my favorite recipe I've ever made from this site. If i had a mussin top pan, yes that's what I would use.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #1109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Thank you so much! I just paid way too much for glu caps at whole foods, but if this works out I'll end up buying bulk I'm sure. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in bulk at my local Asian market too, but I was on the wrong side of town today.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #1110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
Be careful you get 95% at least glucomannan powder some brands have almost 15% carbs or more.