Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #1051
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 440
Gallery: tofucheez
i tried a pasta extruder a couple of years ago....didn't work at all as the gel just gushes out around the "thingie!"
tofucheez is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #1052
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 140
Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
........

Now I'm wanting to learn to make these noodles like you guys, here are the steps I've copied from this thread.

I mixed 1/8 tsp lime in 2 cups of water, whizzed it in my magic bullet.
Poured one cup into another container.

Added 1 1/4 tsp Konjac to the bullet (which is 1 c water plus 1/2 of the lime) and whizzed.

I poured the liquid from the bullet into one of these bottles and when the
gel had formed I squirted it into the pot of boiling water. Being careful to
add the strands slowly so that they didn't stick together.

I find that if I use 1 1/4 tsp per cup of water/lime they turn out just right.
I it sit in the dispenser about 4 minutes to gel up. You also don't want your
water boiling vigorously or it will break the gel apart.

................
Where does the 1 cup poured out of the bullet into another container come back in? or doesn't it?
EllaP is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #1053
Major LCF Poster!
 
fozzie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
The instructions you are going by were designed for the noodler I designed which has a capacity of 1 cup. So to keep the gel in the second batch from gelling to much you only mix it when ready to use it.
fozzie99 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #1054
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 140
Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
The instructions you are going by were designed for the noodler I designed which has a capacity of 1 cup. So to keep the gel in the second batch from gelling to much you only mix it when ready to use it.
Thank you - makes perfect sense now.
EllaP is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #1055
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
[QUOTE=tofucheez;16221985]i tried a pasta extruder a couple of years ago....didn't work at all as the gel just gushes out around the "thingie!"[/QUOTE

I don't think I'll even try it now, Fozzie has given even more ideas.
I like the ones pretty good just made in the skillet, if I want rice rather than "dumplings", I just put the solidified gel in the magic bullet.

Last edited by scalestepper; 01-27-2013 at 08:36 AM..
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #1056
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Gallery: Ravenpearl
Fozzie

I am using konjac gluc I am going to try and tweek the recipe
maybe try 2 1/2 tsps to 2 cups water? we will see I am determined though to make it work.


Just a question has anyone ever tried to make pasta or dumplings out of oat bran/gluc combo?
Ravenpearl is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #1057
Major LCF Poster!
 
fozzie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
2 teaspoons per 2 cups of cold water is really the best. Measure carefully a little too much water and it doesn't gell enough. Let it gel at least 10 mins to short and it doesn't hold together in the water. A little longer won't hurt. 2 1/2 tsps and the gel is going to be to stiff especially in a squeeze bottle.

Last edited by fozzie99; 01-27-2013 at 12:00 PM..
fozzie99 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #1058
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpearl View Post
I am using konjac gluc I am going to try and tweek the recipe
maybe try 2 1/2 tsps to 2 cups water? we will see I am determined though to make it work.


Just a question has anyone ever tried to make pasta or dumplings out of oat bran/gluc combo?
Yes and these dumplings are awesome!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...dumplings.html
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #1059
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
2 teaspoons per 2 cups of cold water is really the best. Measure carefully a little too much water and it doesn't gell enough. Let it gel at least 10 mins to short and it doesn't hold together in the water. A little longer won't hurt. 2 1/2 tsps and the gel is going to be to stiff especially in a squeeze bottle.
Thank you!
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #1060
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpearl View Post

Just a question has anyone ever tried to make pasta or dumplings out of oat bran/gluc combo?
I made them yesterday in some chicken broth.

WOW they were good - incredibly good texture. If you make them, make them smaller. The writer of the recipe says she thinks they hold up better if you roll them smaller. Incredibly good texture and very little work for a fun side-item to chicken and to add to soups!
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #1061
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I am so happy, I made the noodles, the recipe works like a charm!

They worked great with the squeese bottle and also with the pasta pronto thing but I could handle the squeese bottle easier. I carefully weighed and measured like Fozzie said, did every step like he said and let the gel rest 10 minutes before squeezing into boiling water. I have nice, long, white noodles, spaghetti size.

The only thing I will do differently is I will do as he says and use a large pan to boil them in so they won't overlap when putting them in. I'd post a picture but I don't know how.

Thank you fozzie99. I no longer have to buy noodles and also I like the idea of knowing where the water came from they were made with.

__________________
I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ...Stay strong....or stay fat.....

Atkins- 9/9/12 to 2/5/13 (247 to 228.6 -18.4lbs)
5:2/IF/lc -2/5/13 through today -38.4 lbs
Total loss to date - 56.8
---------------
Cathy

Last edited by scalestepper; 01-27-2013 at 05:54 PM..
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #1062
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I made them yesterday in some chicken broth.

WOW they were good - incredibly good texture. If you make them, make them smaller. The writer of the recipe says she thinks they hold up better if you roll them smaller. Incredibly good texture and very little work for a fun side-item to chicken and to add to soups!
I agree, the dumplings are so delicious. I had some for lunch and I'm still full. It's probably one of my favorite recipes.
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #1063
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I am so happy, I made the noodles, the recipe works like a charm!

They worked great with the squeese bottle and also with the pasta pronto thing but I could handle the squeese bottle easier. I carefully weighed and measured like Fozzie said, did every step like he said and let the gel rest 10 minutes before squeezing into boiling water. I have nice, long, white noodles, spaghetti size.

The only thing I will do differently is I will do as he says and use a large pan to boil them in so they won't overlap when putting them in. I'd post a picture but I don't know how.

Thank you fozzie99. I no longer have to buy noodles and also I like the idea of knowing where the water came from they were made with.

It's funny - I've been reading this thread for SO long, I have a noodler (thanks Fozzie!) and when you all started talking about the condiment bottle I ran out and bought that, too.

But all these questions you just asked and now your result make it seem possible - not sure what the tipping point was, but thank you for making the noodles. I'm going to make them tonight!
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #1064
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
It's funny - I've been reading this thread for SO long, I have a noodler (thanks Fozzie!) and when you all started talking about the condiment bottle I ran out and bought that, too.

But all these questions you just asked and now your result make it seem possible - not sure what the tipping point was, but thank you for making the noodles. I'm going to make them tonight!
That's neat! My squeese bottle has a label that says Gemco Food Prep Bottle. Hope that helps. The recipe made 12 oz of noodles.
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #1065
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12

Last edited by scalestepper; 01-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: sorry, can't get the picture to show
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #1066
Big Yapper!!!!
 
MsWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tx
Posts: 9,424
Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I am going to try these, I think.

Quick question. Has anyone used broth instead of water to make the noodles?
MsWoods is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #1067
Major LCF Poster!
 
fozzie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I've used boullion (beef and chicken) but if it has any "solids" in it or to much solids it might not gel well.
fozzie99 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #1068
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
For the times that your recipe doesn't really require a noodle/spaghetti shape, this works, tastes good and is so easy.

Use the fozzie99's recipe except to one cup of the lime/water, add 2 teaspoons konjac powder, whiz it up and pour into a 10 or 12 inch skillet, let it set until it gels. I increased the powder since it wasn't being added to boiling water. The more powder you add, the more texture to the dumpling.

At this point when it has jelled up, I use a pizza cutter to cut it into little dumplings. Add 1 cup of plain water to skillet with the gel dumplings and cook about 10 minutes of so, you'll get the feel of what texture you want as the water cooks down, then you can proceed with your recipe.

I originally did this like the guy on the internet, just sprinkled konjac powder in and covered it with plain water until it jelled but I like this way better, either way there's no fishy smell, you control the texture, we know the water source and save some money too.

Last edited by scalestepper; 01-28-2013 at 12:36 PM..
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #1069
Major LCF Poster!
 
fozzie99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I've tried doing something like that with the notion of making chips (doritos)
fozzie99 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #1070
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
I've tried doing something like that with the notion of making chips (doritos)


WHAT???
Do tell!
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #1071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
OK - I failed at this.
Twice.

And I see my "pickling lime" is calcium chloride.
"Use in any recipe. Replaces hassle of lime."

I got it at Wal-Mart next to the canning items. Is this the wrong stuff, darnit?

I mixed 1/8 tsp. of the calcium chloride with 2 cups water and mixed it up with my immersion blender. Then I removed 1 cup (not using my noodler yet just wanted a smaller amount to work with) and into the remaining 1 cup I placed 1 tsp. Konjac.

After about 10 minutes it was gel. I squired the gel into gently boiling water. The ribbons went to the bottom of the pot, then very soon afterward floated to the top of the water. Shortly thereafter they became fused together as gel at the top of gently simmering water. They did not remain "noodles".

The second time I tried this, I added about 1/4 tsp. more Konjac and the gel was more firm when I squirted it in the boiling water, but the same thing happened - all massed together on top to form gel - no noodles.
__________________
Judy

Last edited by JMCM1; 01-28-2013 at 04:07 PM..
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #1072
Major LCF Poster!
 
shunsweets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,671
Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
My attempts at the noodles failed too but I made the dumplings tonight and they were wonderful.
shunsweets is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #1073
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 440
Gallery: tofucheez
Scalestepper--

I am curious as to why you are concerned about the water source. You posted twice about it.
tofucheez is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #1074
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
My attempts at the noodles failed too but I made the dumplings tonight and they were wonderful.
Yes - I made the dumplings and they were wonderful!
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #1075
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Scalestepper--

I am curious as to why you are concerned about the water source. You posted twice about it.
It's just something that bothers me, that they are made in Japan and the noodles are nearly all water. I wonder about the quality since it is an imported product. IDK, it's just me.
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #1076
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
OK - I failed at this.
Twice.

And I see my "pickling lime" is calcium chloride.
"Use in any recipe. Replaces hassle of lime."

I got it at Wal-Mart next to the canning items. Is this the wrong stuff, darnit?

I mixed 1/8 tsp. of the calcium chloride with 2 cups water and mixed it up with my immersion blender. Then I removed 1 cup (not using my noodler yet just wanted a smaller amount to work with) and into the remaining 1 cup I placed 1 tsp. Konjac.

After about 10 minutes it was gel. I squired the gel into gently boiling water. The ribbons went to the bottom of the pot, then very soon afterward floated to the top of the water. Shortly thereafter they became fused together as gel at the top of gently simmering water. They did not remain "noodles".

The second time I tried this, I added about 1/4 tsp. more Konjac and the gel was more firm when I squirted it in the boiling water, but the same thing happened - all massed together on top to form gel - no noodles.
I used Mrs Wages Pickling Lime...Food Grade Calcium Hydroxide...i don't know the difference in that and what you used.
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #1077
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I used Mrs Wages Pickling Lime...Food Grade Calcium Hydroxide...i don't know the difference in that and what you used.
I was hoping you'd answer - thank you!

Yours is calcium hydroxide and mine is calcium chloride - so maybe I just don't have the right thing.
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #1078
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I was hoping you'd answer - thank you!

Yours is calcium hydroxide and mine is calcium chloride - so maybe I just don't have the right thing.
I had two small clumps in mine and that's why I said that would be the one thing I would change, using a large pot to allow space for the noodles to cook separately. He had this in his recipe..

"I squirted it into the pot of boiling water. Being careful to
add the strands slowly so that they didn't stick together."

He also said to be sure and use a big pot to boil them in.

Last edited by scalestepper; 01-28-2013 at 07:20 PM..
scalestepper is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #1079
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
JMCM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,307
Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
I had two small clumps in mine and that's why I said that would be the one thing I would change, using a large pot to allow space for the noodles to cook separately. He had this in his recipe..

"I squirted it into the pot of boiling water. Being careful to
add the strands slowly so that they didn't stick together."

He also said to be sure and use a big pot to boil them in.
I used my biggest stockpot and could see how it would be useful - but mine just wouldn't hold together in the noodle shape. After a few minutes they just turned into gel sitting on top of the water.
JMCM1 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #1080
Senior LCF Member
 
scalestepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 769
Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I used my biggest stockpot and could see how it would be useful - but mine just wouldn't hold together in the noodle shape. After a few minutes they just turned into gel sitting on top of the water.
I didn't do as well as you, I used a 4 quart. Evidently it is the difference in the lime. I ordered mine from Ebay. Lol, girl, we'll get this down!
scalestepper is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.