Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #961
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Centaura57
Thanks, will check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I don't know how many carbs you can do in a day[/IMG]
...yeah, carbs are a serious issue with me. I eat under 10 carbs a day because any more than that and I have to take insulin. And I don't ever want to be dependent on that again. Disappointed about the glu. May just have to make some slurry-type puddings instead. Cut a hole in the bottom of a zip-lock and just squeeze into mouth. I can see the chocolate now! hehehehe

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
I ordered my glucomannan powder today from Netrition along with my EZ-Sweet. I'm sad because I'm not ordering my Joseph's Pita's, but feel so much better not eating wheat, that it's worth it. I read in an earlier post that Netrition didn't offer the glucomannon powder, but it popped up when I entered it today.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #963
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centaura57 View Post
...yeah, carbs are a serious issue with me. I eat under 10 carbs a day because any more than that and I have to take insulin. And I don't ever want to be dependent on that again. Disappointed about the glu. May just have to make some slurry-type puddings instead. Cut a hole in the bottom of a zip-lock and just squeeze into mouth. I can see the chocolate now! hehehehe
the gel bites are like 60 cal for the whole bag or something, all protein. so it should be good for low carb trip snack, good luck and happy road trip.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #964
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Well, I've made a pretty yummy and 'handable' jelly from LInda Sue's site, it's prettymuch the same a jello jigglers, but using more gelatin to make it so you can hold it. and I thought it was pretty filling.

I don't know how many carbs you can do in a day, but I found that watery fruit like watermelon and apple are very filling but not as high in carb as peach and grapes and stuff. I went a whole day eating just apples and drinking water, for a long road trip and I was so full I didn't want my meal for lunch. Watermelon has less carbs than apples and more water and is great for being filling and hydrating and cool in the summer. If you made some Sugar free gelatin with extra gelatin, you could keep those in your cooler too. One last thing. I saw that the Kroger store has a generic gelatin product, premade and cut into squares, in a little ziploc bag, one is orange and the other is strawberry or cherry, ...something red. It's sugar free and easy to snack on.

Where in Kroger did you find those gel bites? Are they refrigerated?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #965

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Where in Kroger did you find those gel bites? Are they refrigerated?
yes, they were refrigerated, they were in the same section as the brand named gelatin and pudding products. The Ready To Eat Cups of dessert products. I found them in the shelf below the branded stuff.

I was skeptical, but I really enjoyed them and I 'm not a big jello fan at all!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #966
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I have tried to read through this entire thread and I'm cross-eyed!!! LOL I do have a question about the gluc pudding. Do you have to cook it? Or will it thicken up in the cold liquid?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #967
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Glucc pudding doesn't need cooked. The powder thickens the liquid.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #968
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
YAY!!! I did it......
Tonight I made a banana cream pudding with 1 cup almond milk, banana protein powder and 1tsp gluc. Gave it a good old shake in the shaker, then let it sit in the fridge for about 20 mins. Not quite as thick as I would've liked (jello pudding cup consistency), but a good place to start. It was certainly delicious!

160 calories. 5g carbs.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #969
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Here are three different raw fruit jams I came up with this week that whip together in 5 minutes in your food processor:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ricot-jam.html
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #970
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Wow, it's been a while since I've been here, I had to go hunt it up to find it, so I'm subscribing and looking forward to using gluc powder again for JUDDD! The Banana cream pudding sounds yummy!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #971
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spankykitty
A challenge for you Konjac/Glucomannan Experts

Hello All,
I have been using Glucomannan products for a few years. Stopped using them & am recently using them to lose weight. I have a challenge and a question for you.
First my challenge: I enjoying using the transparent rice wrappers to wrap lettuce & other veggies and dip into a low calories sauce. You know the ones I am talking about? They are sometimes called Thai Spring rolls. They are not fried, but soft & see through. They come in a round, dry, extremely thin sheet which you soak in water for 5 seconds to soften, then fill. They have both carbs and calories. While eating them, I thought, these remind me so much of Glucomannan. Would any one have any ideas on how to make these wraps out of glucomannan to be used as the rice wrappers?
Second, I am not sure what in the world I am doing wrong, but this time I am failing at making my homemade glucomannan noodles. I have followed two recipes on this site to a T, and my "noodles" are dissolving when I get to the "boil them in water" stage. The recipe I used was 2 TABLEspoon Gluc to 2 Cups Cold water, heat for 4-5 minutes, add 1/8 t lime in 2 T cold water and cook for 3 more minutes, pour on sheet to cool, form into noodles and boil in water... Please help!

Last edited by spankykitty; 10-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #972
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I make noodles all the time 6 0r 8 batches 2 cups each.....sometimes twice in 10 or 12 days. If you want to do the pasta maker or the block method you need to make the gel with 1/8 teaspoon pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) in 2 cups cold water. Whiz with a stick blender or in a cup blender. While it's whizzing add 2 teaspoons of glucomannan powder (brand is important). Whiz for a few seconds and put into a mold of some kind to form your block and allow it to gel. You might want up to 3 teaspoons of gluc powder if using a pasta maker or making a block. If using a noodler you don't want it as stiff. After it has "set up" place it in boiling water to cook can take awhile if block is thick. When done it will be quite firm and will not melt with heat like jello will. Cut it up in any way you desire or run it through you pasta maker as you would dough for pasta.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #973
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jah732
Canidies - Glucommanannan powder PURE or jelly powder with carrageenan

Newbie here. As an introduction, I want to say I at first found it odd that shirataki noodles are used by dieters, because I associate shirataki noodles with a feast -- every New Year's Day my mother would cook sukiyaki and shirataki noodles are an essentail ingredient. I never realized these were good for me, they were just part of a feast that included some really bad for me things, like mochi and yokan.

Anyway, I have been very unsuccessful making konnyaku jellies/candies/gummies. I tried several of the recipes listed here (1/2 cup crystal light with 1 tbsp powder; the licorice goo drops except I did not have the Fiberfit so just added more erythritol). My candies are always too gooey to handle (more like thick applesauce than a gummy).

I know to make real konnyaku jellies you buy premeasured packets of konnyaku jelly powder that had carrageenan or some other additives. So my question is, are you folks using pure glucommannan, or jelly powder with additives, when you make glu candies?

If pure glu, what brand? I bought pure powder in bulk from an herbal supply. It works to make unflavoured blocks of konnyaku where you add it to cold water with pickling lime and then heat the mixture, but every time I add some sort of flavouring, like anise extract or unsweetened kool-aid mix, it fails to gel properly. So I am perplexed and seek advice as to perhaps the type or brand of powder I should use for candies/jellies/gummies.

thx
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #974
Junior LCF Member

Needing 1 t Pickling Lime for Reaction to take place

Ok, I have been able to make the noodles, however I am having to add 1 t Calcium Hydroxide instead of 1/8 t. Is this harmful? ANy ideas as to why?
Thanks Kindly,
Wendy
Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #975
Major LCF Poster!

Tell us your procedure for making your noodles including your quanities of ingredients and brands.
I really don't think it's the pickling lime.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #976
Junior LCF Member

How I do it:

I use my stick blender & blend 2 t Konjac powder (Blue & yellow bag) in 2 cups water. Then I dissolve the 1/8 t pickling lime (bought at the local Mexican Market in bulk, they use it for corn tortilla, I believe) in 2 T water or so. Then I heat the Konjac and water for a minute and add the dissolved pickling lime. Cook for 3 minutes & let cool. It does not set

This last time I followed the recipe from Konjac website, dissolving 1 t pickling lime in 2 cups cold water & adding 2 t glucomannan, using stick blender and then heating. This last time was worse as I got gloops of gloppy masses in a thin liquid.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #977
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
spankykitty----you bought LYE
Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #978
Junior LCF Member

LYE?

I don't think so. It says "Cal/Lime" on it.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #979
Major LCF Poster!

Lye is sodium hydroxide....pickling lime is calcium hydroxide.
Pickling lime goes in first cold water whiz it up THEN add the gluc powder while whizzing. Then cook after it gels up. Adding the lime last is causing the lumps also do not heat it untill after it gels. There are very complete directions on the forum do a search. Please also confirm the lime you are using ic CALCIUM HYDROXIDE.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #980
Major LCF Poster!

(This last time I followed the recipe from Konjac website, dissolving 1 t pickling lime in 2 cups cold water & adding 2 t glucomannan, using stick blender and then heating. This last time was worse as I got gloops of gloppy masses in a thin liquid.) In my experience this is to much lime. 8 times to much 1/8 teaspoon works well. I make batches all the time never have problems unless amounts are off or don't mix well while adding ingredients.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #981
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so Much

Thanks so much to all. I did not realize that the method was SO IMPORTANT to success. I actually had a successful batch after posting. Now, if I could only remember how I did it.....!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #982
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Steve, I STILL haven't gotten the nerve to use my custom-made noodler.

Is that the simple recipe above, I'll use with that?
2 cups cold water
1/8 tsp pickling lime
2 tsp glucomannan powder

use stick blender and then put in noodler?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #983
Major LCF Poster!

JMCM1 Your noodler has a one cup capacity. For that size I make 2 cups of lime water divide it into 2 one cup batches then mix 1 teaspoon of gluc powder into 1 cup of lime water make the batch of noodles with that then mix the 2nd cup of lime water with gluc powder load the noodler and when it gels do the second batch.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #984
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I might get my courage up and try it this weekend.

Thanks for the easy instructions!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #985
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Starch free sauce/starter

I was on a down day yesterday and came home from work kinda starving. I only had about 3/4 of a cup of chicken broth so I poured it in my blender, added 1/4 cup of FF half n half and 1/2 tsp of glucomannan powder and blended until well mixed. I put it on the stove to warm it up, added pepper, onion powder and it started to thicken up like a white sauce! Because I was on a down day I couldn't go any further but if one were to add shredded cheese to the mix it would make a very nice cheese sauce at almost 0 carb (w/ real half n half). It tasted really good as a "creamy soup" and was nice and filling, and held me off until dinner.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #986

Great Suggestion Blonde!!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #987
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ravenpearl
got mine from auction site since I could not find pickling lime locally
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #988
Major LCF Poster!

There is a joke diet going around the internet called the "gravy diet" But I've invented a real gravy diet. Whenever I roast or smoke any kind of meat I thicken the drippings with Glu powder and add some water to strech it and some spices. I take it to work and eat it like thick soup. No carbs good fat % and some protein from the cologen (sp?) from the meat drippings. Keeps my protein reasonable and my fats up. At home I tend to eat mostly protein need more fat this helps.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #989
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
There is a joke diet going around the internet called the "gravy diet" But I've invented a real gravy diet. Whenever I roast or smoke any kind of meat I thicken the drippings with Glu powder and add some water to strech it and some spices. I take it to work and eat it like thick soup. No carbs good fat % and some protein from the cologne (sp?) from the meat drippings. Keeps my protein reasonable and my fats up. At home I tend to eat mostly protein need more fat this helps.
Steve, I must have seen that on this thread - I did that for our Thanksgiving gravy. I put the gluc in a salt shaker and stirred like crazy and it thickened up beautifully. I added some cream and it was delicious - whole family loved it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #990
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Thanks for all the great recipes and tips! I have a couple of recipes to share.

Wow, what an informative thread! It's taken 3 days but I finally got through all 33 pages, I am now cross eyed.

I am going to have to get a friend to build me one of Steve's Noodler's.

I guess I should introduce myself since this is my first post. My name is Yasmeen and I've been eating low carb/high protein seriously for a couple of years now and lower carb for about 10 years before that.

I tend to bake a lot with protein powder and recently started using Oat Fibre. I have a couple of recipes I've been playing around with that I'd like to share.

The "Oaties" are kind of a cross between a biscuit and an english muffin
I just kind of whipped these up through trial and error so feel free to tweak to your hearts content! :0)

Ingredients:
3 tbsp Oat Fiber 500
1/2 tbsp Golden Flax Meal
35 g Simply Egg Whites
10 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored - DO NOT use an Isolate unless you can stand the taste they leave behind. If you can't find whey concentrate you could use Pea Protein or another unflavoured protein that is truly tasteless.
3 + tbsp Water
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Konjac Glucomannan Powder

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl, add egg white and 3+ tbsp of water (enough to make a runny dough consistency).
Put batter in 1 larger or 2 smaller microwave safe containers liberally sprayed with non stick spray. I also like to line the bottom of the container with parchment as the bottom's can stick a bit without it.

Microwave for 1-2.5 minutes (the smaller ones need about 1 min 20 seconds in my microwave) Gently take the "bread" out of the container and toast to "dry" it out.

It's very delicate when first out of the container. I imagine you could let it sit on a wire rack to set up if you don't want to toast it.

I like to add a dash of salt and 1/2 tsp of splenda or swerve. They are really nice with butter on top! :0)

I have been using these containers when I make 2 at a time (the recipe above yields 2 at this size or 1 larger)

I also came up with a Tortilla/Flatbread recipe. If you make it thicker it could be a Pita.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp Oat Fiber 500
1/2 tbsp Psyllium Husk - will try using 1/4 tsp Konjac Glucomannan Powder to see if this creates a better version.
30 g Simply Egg Whites
10 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored - DO not use an Isolate unless you can stand the taste they leave behind. If you can't find whey concentrate you could use Pea Protein or another unflavoured protein that is truly tasteless.
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 cup + Cool Water = Do not use HOT water as it will cause the psyllium to rise too much. Might be okay if you wanted to make a pita.

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl, add egg white and 1/4 cup or more of water (enough to make a crepe batter consistency.)
Put batter greased non stick pan and swirl around as you would a crepe to spread the batter, you may need to use the back of a spatula to spread it completely.

Cook until completely firm then flip and continue cooking, it may take a few minutes per side. Cook until you have reached your desired firmness.