Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #841
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
No No I meant I put up a response right after your post and I lost it I didn't mean from a while ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #842
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
OK,, I've had that happen before too. Thank you for replying & re-replying!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #843
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
I made my first "noodler" out of straight PVC about 1 1/4" dia. but it was hard to push the piston sometimes. I got the caulking gun (large dia. one.) and added the PVC. It worked but needed refinements got it just the way I like it now. After I was done I saw a cookie press and thought it could be down with a little work. I made one for one of my friends only problem with the press is capacity. The caulking gun "noodler" does 2 cups at a time. Cost per 2 cup batch around $.40. I bought 2 bags of Shritaki noodles from an internet vendor to see if I liked them. I like mine better the texture is no where near as rubbery and the price is right.
Hi Fozzie:

Thanks so much for sharing your homemade Shiritaki Noodles success. Of the various methods found on the internet that I have attempted, yours definitely the easiest, fastest with the best results.

After reading through your earlier posts, I made two batches of noodles using a cookie press and then a potato ricer respectively. Both yielded perfectly edible noodles (yes, these are less rubbery than store-bought). I would have liked for the strands to be longer, but with the improved texture and money savings on these homemade noodles, the length is a minor issue.

Then I logged in today and saw the photo you posted on your "caulking gun/PVC noodler" that holds a larger volume of Gluc gel at a time, I thought "wow, that's what I need". Is it very difficult to make one of those? Would you mind posting a photo with the "noodler" disassembled showing the various parts needed? Maybe if I show my husband that I can persuade him to give it a try. Many thanks.

BTW, I read somewhere that you can add veggie puree and/or seasonings into the Gluc gel to make flavored noodles. I think I'll try making some spinach Shiritaki Noodles next time.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #844
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,
Glad to hear you are having some success with your noodles. The noodles that come out of my noodler can be VERY LONG......sometimes over 2'. The noodler isn't hard to make I did it with just basic hand tools and an electric drill and a dremel. I'm posting pics of the noodler disassembled with close ups of the piston. All the parts are off the shelf most need some modifications which I'll detail. I bought a nice potato ricer on ebay but didn't like the way it worked with glu gel at all. The cookie press with mods worked pretty good except for capacity.

Last edited by fozzie99; 02-22-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #845
Major LCF Poster!

Noodler pics and description

The pictures show all the parts disasembled. The main tube is 11" long 2" dia. sch.40 PVC pipe. The fittings on each end are threaded compression fittings with a press fit on the other side of the fitting. The caulking gun is a large diameter size. I cut the body of the gun off 10" from the rear of the tube holder of the gun. I took a fitting like the ones on the PVC pipe and fit it into the rear of the caulking gun it must be secured with 1/16" dia. SHORT screws. it may have projections on the outer surface that need to be filed down. I cut a fitting in half and secured it in the middle but it is not needed (it's leftover from a prior version). When assembling the fittings on the PVC tube use plenty of cement there is a small gap that may need to be filled by the cement or the piston may hang there. Drive the fittings on fully. The piston is the toughest part to make it's a coupling I think it was an 1 1/2" it fits in the bore of the tube with a little gap. I took some styrene foam and made a shallow cone on a short 3/8" wooden dowel that is a press fit in the piston. I chucked it in a drill and used a round needle file to cut 2 grooves in the piston for "o" rings you need to check the fit of the piston in the PVC pipe while cutting the "o" ring grooves until you get a good fit. (you only need 1). I sealed one end of the piston with a piece of plastic glued on with super glue. I also mixed some epoxy and poured it into the piston to make sure of the seal. The caulking gun rod had a plate on the end that I trimmed down to the dia. of the piston and used screws to attach it to the open end of the piston. I soldered it to the nut on the rod but locking it on with 2 nuts would work. The threaded section of the fittings on the PVC tube needs the inside Dia. opened a little to pass the piston as it's smaller than the push on part of the fitting.
This sounds really complicated but sounds worse than it is. I know it's confusing feel free to ask about any part or procedure.
You could make one of these in an afternoon if you had all the parts on hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0045.jpg (79.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0048.jpg (18.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0047.jpg (15.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by fozzie99; 02-22-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #846
Major LCF Poster!

I've made noodles with chicken bullion mixed into the water before the glu powder went in. They tasted fine but when the lime went in it turned the gel pink/orange color. Spinach sounds good if you grind it fine enough and don't add to much.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #847
Junior LCF Member

Thanks very much for the pics and details, Fozzie. It's definitely a project that I have to enlist my DH's help. I'll get him to take a look and see if he wants to try tackling it at some point. In the meantime, I'll use the cookie press with mods
Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #848
Major LCF Poster!

EV where did you get your avatar?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #849
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
EV where did you get your avatar?
Hi Fozzie:

I did a search for free mouse clip art pictures online, found one I like the best, cut it down to size and saved it to a file on my computer. Then I went into Edit Avatar and clicked Use Custom Avator, then enter the file name to upload it. There's probably an easier way to do it but I'm only semi computer literate so I go with what I know.

Ev
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #850
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Ingredients:

3 servings syntrax (3 scoops vanilla syntrax protein powder)
4 servings flax meal(1/2 cup)
3 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large zucchini, grated
1/2 C chopped pecans
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp glucomannan powder
1/2 cup vanilla DaVincis (sugar free)
1/2 cup water (to thin out batter)

Crack the eggs in a bowl, and with a mixer, slowly add in 1/2 tsp of the glucomannan powder at a time, mix very well and the eggs should thicken up. Next add the vanilla, zucchini, pecans, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and DaVincis and mix well. Add the flax meal and protein powder and start mixing. The batter will be very dry at this point, and slowly add in the water while mixing to loosen it up until it is the consistency of regular cupcake batter.

Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute in muffin papers, should make 18, and bake for 30 minutes at *350 (check after 20 minutes because ovens vary.)

Nutritional Counts per 1/18th:
Calories:66, Fat:4.03g, Carbs:1.84g, Fiber:1.4g, Net Carbs:0.44g

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #851
Big Yapper!!!!

Ingredients:

3 servings syntrax (3 scoops vanilla syntrax protein powder)
4 servings flax meal(1/2 cup)
3 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 oz blackberries
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
3 tsp glucomannan powder
1/2 cup vanilla DaVincis (sugar free)
1/2 cup water (to thin out batter)

Crack the eggs in a bowl, and with a mixer, slowly add in 1/2 tsp of the glucomannan powder at a time, mix very well and the eggs should thicken up. Next add the vanilla, blackberries, baking powder, baking soda, salt and DaVincis and mix well. Add the flax meal and protein powder and start mixing. The batter will be very dry at this point, and slowly add in the water while mixing to loosen it up until it is the consistency of regular cupcake batter.

Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute in muffin papers, should make 18, and bake for 30 minutes at *350 (check after 20 minutes because ovens vary.)

Nutrition counts per 1/18th:
Calories:46, Fat:1.87g, 1.81g carbs, Fiber:1.3g, Net carbs:0.51g

Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #852
Major LCF Poster!

Hey EV. I would like to talk to you off the boards......How?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #853
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoosinItNow View Post
I'm doing HCG right now, and posted this on that thread, but it was suggested that I also post it here. So...

I was looking in my freezer and saw the cauliflower - and remembered the recipe for LC Cauliflower Nacho Chips! The LC recipe uses cheese and eggs, which are for the most part not allowed on HCG (cheese, I mean). So I thought as I'd been playing around with glucomannan, that could replace the eggs as a binder, and nacho cheese flavoring as a topping, making low calorie chips!

Here is the Recipe:

1 Bag frozen cauliflower (100 cals)
1/2 Cup hot water (microwave 1-2 min)
1/2 tsp glucomannan
Salt & other spices to flavor

I cooked the cauliflower, drained it, and pureed it in my food processer for several minutes. Take it out, and use food processer to whip the glucomannan and the hot water together until it gets viscous. Add the cauliflower back in, process until incorporated.

Heat oven to 400, then either spray cookie sheet or place parchment paper down on sheet (I still spritz with spray). Take drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto tray and then take the back of the spoon and smooth them into half dollar sized "chips". Try to make them as uniform as possible in size and thickness, so they will all cook evenly.

Bake for 35 minutes, flip and reduce oven to 350. Bake an additional 5 - 10 minutes, until they start to crisp up. There is a fine line from done, to burnt, so watch them the last few minutes! I season them when I flip them, I used sea salt & nacho flavorings. You could use a whole host of seasonings, though. My batch made about 20 chips, so they would be about 5 -6 calories a chip, depending on what size you make and what seasonings you use.

Great munchies, and a little more substantial than spinach chips!
Thank you for sharing this great recipe. I made these today and loved them! I'm going to make them for the car ride DD next weekend.

I added 3/4 T Hormel Bacon pieces to the cauliflower before blending. I salted the "chips" before they went into the oven and sprinkled the rest of the spices on after turning them.

I had to lower the oven temps to 350 to start and 300 to end. My oven runs hotter, I think. You're right though, they burn in a hurry! LOL

My Spice mixture:
3T chili powder
1 T onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
Mixed them up in my Magic Bullet and used the sprinkler lid.

Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous!
-o
Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #854
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey EV. I would like to talk to you off the boards......How?
Hi Fozzie, I think I need to make 7 more posts before Private Messaging access will be granted. I'll work on it.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #855
Major LCF Poster!

OK great I've got news for you.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #856
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Merrysunshine
Stats: 220/150/140
WOE: HCG/ph3-no starch, no sugar
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
I'm sitting here in Cancun (last day of vacation, waah!) and my gluc powder and oat fiber made it through customs without a problem. I even got the dreaded "red light" at the Cancun airport which means they go through your bag. I had packed opened bags of gluc powder and oat fiber into my checked bag - what I did was measure out what I thought I would use for the week and then take that in the original bag for ID. Well, they had NO INTEREST AT ALL in those items. What they were most excited about - and almost confiscated! - were my pouches of tuna! I was really happy to have the gluc and oat fiber with me on the trip. I could've lived without them, but they did make it easier to keep me filled up with low-cal stuff so I could save my carbs and calories for Banana Monkeys.

My guess is they take the drug-sniffing dogs for a pass over all the luggage before we get it and this stuff doesn't interest the dogs. I do have some left over so I'll see if I encounter any problems bringing it back home.

When traveling I would probably take the capsules in the bottle. Shouldn't be a problem then.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Hey Fozzie...I just tried your noodle recipe/ method and it worked, sorta. Is using an even pressure while squirting into boiling water the trick for getting long thin noodles? Mine seem to have thin ends and thick middles. They also clumped together in the boiling water. I used my old cookie press with a screw type plunger. so it squirted..stopped ...squirted..stopped. gave noodles about 4 inches long. Also didn't have a tight seal around the plunger. I wanted to see if I liked the taste/ texture before constructing a pvc noodler. I must say they seem good. No taste by themselves, but with butter and salt...mmmm. While working with the jell there was a faint fishy smell but not in the cooked noodle. I am so excited to have an alternative to shirataki noodles.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #858
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
OMG I didn't think my blueberry pancakes could get better, but 1/2 tsp. glucomannan powder added to them made them the best LC pancakes I've had so far. DH agreed! They fluffed up real high and had a wonderful texture. I'm goping to try that recipe plain, without berries and see how that comes out, with the glucomannan of course.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #859
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok. I made some mini "bagel" type things of course using marcea's glucc/parm roll method.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1tbsp glucomannan powder
1tsp baking powder
1 scoop (1/3 cup) protein powder (I use vanilla syntrax nectar)

Mix eggs and baking powder well. Slowly add in glucc while mixing until dough forms "waves". Then add protein powder. I added a bit of water to thin it out until it was a little thinner than funnel cake batter. Spray mini bundt pans, bagel, or doughnut pans and barely cover the bottom all the way around. A couple teaspoons maybe. Bake for about 20 min.

I got 14 of them with 28 calories, 0.11g carbs, no fiber.

Covered with Walden Farms raspberry jam.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #860
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Wow!! how do they taste? look awesome!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #861
Big Yapper!!!!

They are pretty good for what they are. Especially with wf jam on them.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #862
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
They look so deliciously crispy!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #863
Big Yapper!!!!

This was my first attempt at chocolate fudge bars with Bulgarian yogurt (I cannot find greek around here) and glucomannan powder. I think it needs some tweaking but overall, very good.

26 calories and 1.63g total carbs per bar. Recipe makes 4 full bars.

1.5 cups Blue Diamond Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Breeze
1/4 cup Bulgarian yogurt (or greek yogurt equivelant, 1/4 cup of mine has 35 calories, 2g carbs)
4 drops EZ Sweetz (I used 5 but it was too sweet for me, so I think 4 would be ok)
1tsp glucomannan powder

Mix everything together except the glucc powder, and slowly add in the glucc powder while stirring. Fill your molds and freeze.

I think I will try it again with more glucc powder, or some gelatin. It was very good but the texture wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #864
Major LCF Poster!

Homemade Miracle Noodles

Here are my newest batch of Shirtaki noodles.......in color!
I've been off them for 11 days as an experiment. Missed them a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0066.jpg (3.5 KB, 306 views)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #865
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
I've always used the Konjac Foods brand. Have any of you tried NOW's gluc powder? I wonder how it compares....
especially for making noodles.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #866
Major LCF Poster!

I don't have any experience with NOW brand only Healthy Village, Konjac Foods and Netrition (same as Konjac) Only Konjac Foods brand is good for noodles. Healthy village for thickening.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #867
Big Yapper!!!!

I have NOW brand right now, but I dont make my noodles. For other uses it works just the same.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #868
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to order more, but wondered if the NOW brand was perhaps more "pure" since it's a well known brand.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #869
Major LCF Poster!

No Idea about now foods brand. I know some brands aren't as high a percentage of glucomannan as others. It can vary by quite a lot about 95% for Konjac Foods others less.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #870
Big Yapper!!!!

IMO the Now is thicker. I prefer the Konjac brand, but someone graciously sent me their NOW brand and it works just as great.