Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #781
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks, Billie, the tough part was the "yellowish" part with the glu, so I guess I have learned my lesson.

Which recipe are you using for the bread? Do you use the one with cheese? or coconut flour. I have yet to make the bread. Want to start with the TNT recipes.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #782
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I like to mix about 1 tbs with about 1/2 cup crystal light, let set. Tastes like gummy bears but really does a number on GI system but also keeps me full. I only have it if i know i am staying home
Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Shadow, That is the stuff we use at work. It is really convenient to have something that mixes up easily.

Billie, When you made the gel using gluc., did you heat the water or stir it in cold?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #784
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Thanks, Billie, the tough part was the "yellowish" part with the glu, so I guess I have learned my lesson.

Which recipe are you using for the bread? Do you use the one with cheese? or coconut flour. I have yet to make the bread. Want to start with the TNT recipes.
Janie, I have been using the one with Coconut flour & Cheese. Not sure but is seems like it was the last one she posted. But...... you may now know that I'm another tweaker..... I have modified the recipe. I cut back on the coconut flour, and I added oat fiber, and off hand can't remember what all else.
#379 (Don't think I have posted my last tweaks.)
And yep, I bet you beat the eggs too long after adding the gluc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Shadow, That is the stuff we use at work. It is really convenient to have something that mixes up easily.

Billie, When you made the gel using gluc., did you heat the water or stir it in cold?
jlp, I just added it to tap water, and whisked like crazy to get it blended in. It MIGHT gel better & quicker tho if it was heated. I'd advise to blend it into cold or cool water first tho, even if you are going to heat it!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #785
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
ok I will try that. Thanks Billie!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #786
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
GLU noodles revisited

Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking on this thread for a while reading all the great recipes and experiments. Tried noodles and love them.......decided to make my own.
Just recieved my GLU powder. No lime yet but started to experiment.
First 2 cups cold water 2 tsp GLU in the water......didn't have time to blink....gelled lumps! Cooked and rinsed tasted like nothing which is great.
Got out my super duper hand blender(Bamix) 2 tsp GLU powder 2 cups COLD water. Started to blend water then added powder. It mixed really well no instant gel no lumps. Put in sauce pan on medium stiring constantly until it boiled.. After a couple of minutes took it off the heat and let it cool....you could turn the pan upside down and it wouldn't fall out! This stuff has some great possibilities. Have a potato ricer and lime comming soon for noodles. Also want to try a stiff pudding.....and a couple or 20 other recipes I've seen here. Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited by fozzie99; 09-24-2011 at 03:24 AM..
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #787
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Subscribing........Thanks...!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Looking for free advice

I'm new to the gluc world. Got the Now capsules this week and have been reading this very interesting thread. I think my capsules are a scant 1/4 tsp (575mg).

I found a recipe that I would like to try which calls for 1/4 tsp xanthan. I'd like to use 1/4 tsp (1 capsule) of gluc. Here is a link to the recipe:
Tuna-Bean-Jicama Casserole « Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes

This is what I think I should do. Put the 1/2c cream and the liquid from the canned mushrooms in the fridge til cold. Put the 1/4 tsp gluc in and whisk. When its blended I add it to the other ingredients and bake. Should I try to mix the liquid with other ingredients or just pour over and then add the cheese ?

Any advise appreciated. Just want to thicken this up a little. Since my DH will be having this, don't want to cause any tummy issues .
Old 10-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #789
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Mobear, I think you can just add the gluc to the cream and juice without cooling it first. The gluc doesn't gel up that quickly.

I would just add it to the cream/juice and proceed with the recipe as written. It will thicken up in the oven.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
Mobear, I think you can just add the gluc to the cream and juice without cooling it first. The gluc doesn't gel up that quickly.

I would just add it to the cream/juice and proceed with the recipe as written. It will thicken up in the oven.
Thanks a lot! I'm going to try this towards the end of the week. Weather here in northern Ohio will be going from 80 down to 50's so it will be good to turn the oven on
Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #791
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with drjlocarb. Just whisk well as you are adding it to the liquid. I wouldn't bother chilling the liquids either.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #792
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
Bumping.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #793
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: .barbara.
Stats: 215/194/150
WOE: HCG/Primal
Start Date: October 2011
Thank you!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #794
Junior LCF Member

Mmmmm...has anyone come up with a great lemon bar recipe using Glucomannen?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #795
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by .barbara. View Post
Mmmmm...has anyone come up with a great lemon bar recipe using Glucomannen?
There is some discussion on lemon pudding starting on post #73. You could try them and see if they are what you are looking to try. Then just put a crust under it.

And welcome to LCF, barbara.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #796
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the lead drjlocarb....this is going to become a personal quest I think. I know that glucomannan gels up pretty hard and absorbs flavors. I am wondering if I add some other fiber too if it will have the right texture.

I am going to try eggwhite protein powder with lemon juice/zest, vanilla stevia drops, glucomannan, coconut oil on an almond crust...
Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

Noodle Success

I've been lurking and learning on this thread since I found out about Miracle Noodles. I decided to make my own and after some testing and construction I can report success. I have made two different "noodlers" one a converted cookie press and one from scratch using various tools and parts available at home depot. It's still more art than science but I make consistent batches of angel hair noodles and "egg noodles" (the only kind I like). Cost for Glu powder per batch is less than $.50. Takes about 10 minutes to actually make the noodles after you have your gel and boiling water ready.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #798
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
I've been lurking and learning on this thread since I found out about Miracle Noodles. I decided to make my own and after some testing and construction I can report success. I have made two different "noodlers" one a converted cookie press and one from scratch using various tools and parts available at home depot. It's still more art than science but I make consistent batches of angel hair noodles and "egg noodles" (the only kind I like). Cost for Glu powder per batch is less than $.50. Takes about 10 minutes to actually make the noodles after you have your gel and boiling water ready.
Could you share your recipes and processing methods, please? I've got a couple old cookie presses I could use.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #799
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,
Not a problem. I'm a wrench bender by trade and an avid hobbiest so this is easier for me than most. The glu I like best for noodles is Konjac Foods. 2 1/2 teaspoons of Glu powder 1/8 teaspoon lime per 2 cups cold water. The plunger in the cookie press MUST be a close fit in the barrel of the press. Use "fusible rubber tape" (home depot)to wrap the plunger to increase its diameter for a good fit lubricate with edible oil or butter before use. You will have to make a new "die" for the noodles. Cut a disk from a plastic bottle or lid from a plastic tub that is the same size as the dies that came with the press. Using a small heated paper clip put about 15 or 20 holes in the die. The gel must be the right viscosity to work properly so experimentation may be neccessary. Squirt the gel into rapidly boiling salted water in a LARGE pot. If you get "rice" you need stiffer gel. Give it more time to gel or more Glu powder not more lime. Your noodles should be quite long and thin. When they are nice and white they're done don't over cook 2 or 3 minutes. To much glu to long a cook or to thick a noodle can be rubbery.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #800
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Thank you! I can do this, I actually have some of that tape in my toolbox.

Pam
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

Good Luck if you need any help let me know........if you have success please post.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #802
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie99 View Post
Hi,
Not a problem. I'm a wrench bender by trade and an avid hobbiest so this is easier for me than most. The glu I like best for noodles is Konjac Foods. 2 1/2 teaspoons of Glu powder 1/8 teaspoon lime per 2 cups cold water. The plunger in the cookie press MUST be a close fit in the barrel of the press. Use "fusible rubber tape" (home depot)to wrap the plunger to increase its diameter for a good fit lubricate with edible oil or butter before use. You will have to make a new "die" for the noodles. Cut a disk from a plastic bottle or lid from a plastic tub that is the same size as the dies that came with the press. Using a small heated paper clip put about 15 or 20 holes in the die. The gel must be the right viscosity to work properly so experimentation may be neccessary. Squirt the gel into rapidly boiling salted water in a LARGE pot. If you get "rice" you need stiffer gel. Give it more time to gel or more Glu powder not more lime. Your noodles should be quite long and thin. When they are nice and white they're done don't over cook 2 or 3 minutes. To much glu to long a cook or to thick a noodle can be rubbery.
A few questions,,,,
1st you talk about "fusible rubber tape". That is not the same as teflon tape is it? If not, will it work? (i've never heard of "fusible rubber tape", but do have Teflon tape.
2nd you talk about the gel must be the right viscosity.. So you just make a Glu/water gel? Or is this cooked in the lime water, then put in the press & pressed into boiling lime water. (I assumed the first, but.....?) Can you tell us the glu/water ratio that You used? (If you made the gel by cooking in the lime water, then I guess you've given us the ratio. )

Thanks for the posts, and for you help!!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #803
Major LCF Poster!

The fusible rubber tape is not teflon. Teflon will not work ask for
FRT at home depot if they don't know what you mean ask someone else go somewhere else. Do not cook gel before "squirting" just blend (I use a good stick blender) into COLD water with lime. No lime in cooking water just salt. Ratio is 2 1/2 teaspoons Konjac Foods glu powder to 2 cups cold water with 1/8 teaspoon lime.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #804
Major LCF Poster!

OK Thank you for that clarification Fozzie!!! Sometimes I'm bit dense.
I think I gottcha now! I have never heard of that tape before. Didn't think it was the same thing, but just makin sure. lol

I THINK I still have a cookie press around here somewhere. It will probably be a while before I can try this tho. But I'm thinking (IF I can find that press) I will one of these days. Have to buy some lime too first tho.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #805
Major LCF Poster!

Since basically adding Gluc pwd to another recipe is how I ended up with this, I decided to put a link here to my Faux Marshmallow Fluff recipe. (Thanks again to Beeb for the recipe I tweaked to come up with this!)
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...low-fluff.html
Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #806
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Just saying I've recently added the glu pudding back to my WOL, and can't believe I got out of the habit!!!

Saying, because maybe there are others of you fans who have forgotten how good and filling it is!!

Janie
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Hi y'all!

I have been eating the prepackaged noodles and blocks for over 10 years and loved them. A few months ago I started making my own from the powder from Netrition. I have since gained weight, despite no other changes. Has anyone else experienced a gain since using this product? Admittedly, I have been eating quite a lot of it (in a dumpling type form), but still.............
And I am not eating it WITH anything that would cause a gain. I read some posts about the pure fiber, versus some konjac that is part fiber/part starch. Could this be the case with this product.......meaning this powder actually has a lot of starch in it?? I called their office but the (nice) gal that answered the phone didn't seem to understand my question.
I am FRUSTRATED!!! I am quite sure that this is the source of my gain. Anyone else???

Last edited by tofucheez; 01-04-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #808
Major LCF Poster!

tofucheese, I really don't know what is causing you weight gain, or whether it is due to the glucc. But as far as I know the only Glucomannan that Netrition carries is the Konjac Glucomannan. The Konjac that they carry (unless they have added another, and I don't think so) is all fiber, no starch.

Can't help with why you are gaining tho. It MIGHT be because of the Glucc, but it isn't because it is part starch.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #809
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I don't really gain weight from the noodles or powder, but I temporarily gain water weight from it. I don't eat a lot of veggies so I dont' get a lot of fiber in my diet, so when I do eat one of the two I guess it sucks all my water up.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #810
Junior LCF Member

Glucomannan Cheesecake....Recipe Source: Women's Health Perfect Body...

Prep time: 75 Min. Cook time: 0 Min. Serves: 6
Ingredients
Crust:
1 C Graham Cracker Crumbs - sugarfree
1/4 c ground faxseeds
1/4 c oat bran
1/3 c water
6 grams Glucomannan

Filling:
2 c low-fat cottage cheese
6 grams Glucomannan
3 oz. fat-free cream cheese
3 scoops vanilla whey protein powder

Topping:
1 c sliced fresh strawberries
4 T sugar-free strawberry jam

Instructions

Crust:
Coat a 9" pie pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine all of crust ingredients. Stir mixture until it’s same consistency throughout. Press mixture into pie pan, easing up the sides.

Filling:
In a blender, combine all filling ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for 1 hr.

Topping:
In small bowl, mix strawberries and jam. Spread over chilled pie.

(just a thought)