Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #751
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I used about 2 tsp of Glucomannan powder to thicken up Smoky BBQ Sauce II because I used a 15oz can of tomato sauce instead of tomato paste. It thickened up to the consistency of real bbq sauce and tasted great!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #752
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Ms. Woods,
Thanks for reviving the thread! Now that I have the gluc. I have been wanting to experiment more.
I have been adding it to smoothies and custard.
It works best in hot things I have found.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #753
Big Yapper!!!!

Yep, I added it to my sauce while it was piping hot still on the burner. It had simmered for about 30 min and I slowly whisked in the glucc.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #754
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Chocolate Coconut Glucomannan pudding

Since there aren't enough recipes on here for pudding, here's my treat:

Chocolate Coconut Glucomannan pudding

1 TB Coconut Manna (or Coconut Butter)
1 tsp dark unsweetened chocolate
1 tsp glucomannan
4 oz. Silk almond milk
1 TB psyllium husk powder
1 oz. Torani (I usually use chocolate or black cherry)

Warm the coconut manna and stir it well before measuring. I suggest warming the almond milk as well so that it's at room temperature; otherwise, the oils in the coconut manna will solidify when it hits the milk and you'll get small bits of coconut oil dispersed throughout your pudding. Mix everything up in your magic bullet or blender, adding the glucomannan last so you don't get any lumps, then allow to chill in your fridge for 1/2 hour. It makes a very solid pudding, and the psyllium gives it a nice texture. It's 160 calories and 2 net carbs, with 12 grams of fiber. I make a point of eating it on days when my fiber count is low.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #755
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
You know I still haven't found many recipes I like using gluc in. I haven't tried the pudding again yet, but even in cooking, it seems like so much more effort than my xanthan gum.

I did put some in my cats food. Im not sure if he hates me yet or even notices.

Maybe I'll try a blend of the two. thanks for the recipes, keep em coming, hopefully I'll find one that suits me. soon ...but so many of them seem to be sweet or dessert style. Lucky for me my sweet tooth is on vacation, but it would be nice to see more savory recipes listed. Please, anybody?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 08-07-2011 at 08:09 AM..
Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #756
Senior LCF Member

I go back and forth between the 2 and sometimes use a little of both. They both take a lot of experimentation to get the right consistency. I am finding that using less is better than too much. Xanthan works better for me in cold applications, gluc. works better in warm/hot.
It's been too hot to do much cooking lately, so I will continue experiementing this fall.
Anyone have any new recipes to share?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #757
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

I did put some in my cats food. Im not sure if he hates me yet or even notices.

Thanks for the giggle! Hope your cat box isn't overflowing...glucomannan does have a laxative effect on humans. No telling what it will do to a cat!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #758
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post
Oh my - I've just been so jazzed to find this thread on Glucomannan use!!! Thank-you all so much for your experiences and recipe's. I've been "Playing around" with glucomannan for about 3 months and been blown away about the dirth of information about cooking with it. Ahhhhh - Now I've got a resource - Wonderful!!!

Anyway, I thought I would share a Glucomannan Cheese Bread recipe I've been experimenting with. So far I'm pretty happy with it, but I find myself wanting a brownie - hmmm maybe I'll try to "browniefy" the cheese bread recipe. Cheers

P.S. I've bought the bulk Glucomannan from Konjac and have been very happy with it.

GF Glucomannan Cheese Bread
Ingredients:
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1 c Finely grated Cheese - your choice.
3 lg Eggs
1 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp Water

Instructions:
Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add oil, water, baking powder and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
When the beater leaves "waves" in the dough, it's probably just about right. It'll be kind of the consistency of pudding..
I add the cheese last and then Cook according to Type of bread you want. (Note: I either use a non-stick spray or a non-stick pan)

For rolls - Spray non-stick spray on your hands and shape into about 12 balls. (Or drop like drop biscuits.) Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes. (Rolls actually turn out flatter and can make a good sandwich base if they are 3" diameter)

For pizza crust - add a shake of garlic and a tsp. of Italian herbs to dough. (I double the recipe if I want a 16 inch Pizza.) Otherwise, you have a medium Pizza. Put dough on pizza or cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. I have usually just sprayed my hands with non-stic Spray and spread out the dough, but you could spray a piece of plastic wrap and place it on top of dough. Roll with a rolling pin to about 1/3 inch thick. (If you do mini pizzas you can just use your hands to pat down to the right shape and thickness.) Bake at 375F for 15 minutes, (shorter or Longer depending on size. )Top with pizza toppings and bake until cheese is bubbly.

Fry Bread: Pour batter into a 12 inch frying pan that you have melted about a Tablespoon of oil in. I use Coconut oil and a med low heat. Spread dough to the sides of the pan and put a lid on it. When dough is brown on the bottom, turn it over to finish cooking.

NOTE: I have used Jack, Sharp cheddar, Feta and Parmesan Cheeses as well as some Jalepeno's in the Bread - turns out good.
If your looking for lowfat - I have Cooked the Fry bread without the Cheese and it turns out a little like Yorkshire Pudding.
I have also, (for whatever reason) left out the Baking Powder and it seems to turn out OK.
Bumpin this bad boy up, cuz I'm making these today. Mmmm I forgot how good they are. I think I'll use then for tuna sandwiches.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Ms. Woods,

When you made the Smoky BBQ Sauce and used the 15oz can of sauce instead of the 6oz can of paste did you double the other ingredients?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #760
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Wonder where Marcea is? Haven't heard from her in a while!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #761
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
Ms. Woods,

When you made the Smoky BBQ Sauce and used the 15oz can of sauce instead of the 6oz can of paste did you double the other ingredients?

Thanks
Honestly, I kind of eyeballed all the ingredients, but I think I probably used what she used just about. It has great flavor and isn't lacking anything.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #762
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: holdemxpert
Just a couple of quick comments:

I just made a lobster bisque, basic recipe from that TV site. To cut on carbs I used half the cream sherry and glucomannan instead of the cornstarch. Ive seen questions about "how much do you use to thicken soup". I made about 8 cups of soup, and 1 teaspoon of glucomannan was pretty much perfect to give it a "bisque-ish" mouth feel. Some might like it a little thicker, but to me bisque with too much thickener can get a gluey feel.

On another note...gravies. I dont know if its been mentioned in this long thread, but I hated the way gravies for poultry turned out using glucomannan instead of flour to thicken. Then I started adding two or three tablespoons of heavy cream for 4 cups or so of gravy. The color looks more like a traditional gravy than the " glassy caramel" color without the cream, and had just the right consistency. No one knew the difference last Thanksgiving.

Last edited by holdemxpert; 08-13-2011 at 08:42 PM..
Old 08-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #763
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
WOE: RNY 11/24/14, low carb
subscribing
Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #764
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: toes_in_mudd
WOE: low cal
I'm new here but I've been reading all of you guys' posts for awhile trying to find new/better glu recipies. I've made some good fruit shakes with it, but as a thickener I usually feel like there's not enough glu in it to fill me up and replace my meal. So I tried this cheese bread recipe today...you've opened up so many possibilities for glu with this! The bread was quick, convenient as individual muffins, and delicious! I'm so excited to try baking desserts, fruit combos and other ideas using this base recipe! Thanks a million for expanding glu's horizons..-Sarah
Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #765
Junior LCF Member

In case anyone was interested I used those cheesebread muffins for a delicious breakfast this morning! I beat an egg in a tupperware, microwaved, added a slice of turkey and cheese, and had mini Egg McMuffins! I'm trying to attach a picture. When I make these again, I will leave out the cheese and maybe even the egg lol. It didn't occur to me before just how redundant those two ingredients were...they sure look cute though hehe =D

http://imageshare.web.id/images/gwy4ra5pjfnnhyryg2l.jpg

Last edited by toes_in_mudd; 08-25-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #766
Junior LCF Member

More delicious mini-sandwiches made, even more filling. Homegrown tomato slices, a quarter of a soy burger pattie, and slices of bell pepper on the cheesebread rolls. SO delicious!

http://imageshare.web.id/images/7qd7...jxh07sjb54.jpg
Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #767
Major LCF Poster!

Toes in mudd, it might be redundant but if I were doing an egg mcmuffin sandwich, I'd still add the egg & cheese. Else you'd just have a ham sandwich.
I had grilled cheese sandwiches today using the coconut cheese Glucc bread. My slices are very tiny. (short & narrow loaf, plus I lice it super thin) So I ate 2. Each had 1 slice of cheese on it (folded over).

By the way, the pics didn't come thru. What I got anyway, was a page to log in or upload pics.

I haven't made the rolls.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #768
Senior LCF Member

couldn't see the cheese muffin pics...
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #769
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Does anyone know how gluc compares to Thicken/Thin in recipes? I used Thicken/Thin tonight for gravy and was quite happy with the results. It sounds like gluc may have more applications?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #770
Junior LCF Member

Dang pictures. I wish there were a way to just attach the actual image instead of a link, instead I tried to use a free photo share upload site. How are you guys doing it?

I tried making a desserty roll the other day, wasn't sweet enough but otherwise very easy and tasty. I used the cheesebread recipe only instead of cheese I put oatmeal, then added a packet of Stevia and a bit of Agave nectar for sweetness, then cinnamon, and a bit of milk. Next time I'll put more sweet stuff. They are very tasty with butter, jelly, more agave syrup, or as a companion to me big jug o coffee! Bet they would have been even better with chocolate chips and cocoa powder but those are just so naughty =}
Old 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #771
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
if you use photobucket or flicker, then you can click the image icon,insert the link and it will show.

If you have the image on your computer you need to "Go Advanced" scroll down to MANAGE ATTACHMENTS and upload the image from your computer.

Your desserty roll sound yummy.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #772
Junior LCF Member

I went ahead and wrote all this stuff and added pictures on a web page...here's the link:
Base recipe for Glu rolls
Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #773
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the help metqa!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #774
Senior LCF Member

I like the fruit smoothie idea!
Does anyone know if one could make up a gel of the glu and water and keep it in
the frig to use to thicken things?
At work, the thickener that dietary uses to thicken liquids for patients that cannot
tolerate thin liquids is a gel made of xanthan, water, citric acid (preservative since it is not refrigerated). It is pretty convenient to use in this form. Pump it in and shake or stir it up. I don't see why something similar couldn't be done using glu?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #775
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Nice web page toes in mud. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking for s sweet breakfast roll. May try yours but can't do oatmeal. Maybe a bit of dry coconut would work?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #776
Major LCF Poster!

jlp, Yes you can make a gel of the glucc pwd & water. I have made it up. But it takes an awful lot of it to thicken things. I did have mold. I'm not sure how long I had it in there. If you had some type of preservative such as they put in theirs (Or of course if you had some of it), then that would help I'm sure, cause I've made up PamInKY's strawberry glaze (also made it as cherry) using the KoolAid. I've had it in the fridge before for quite some time with no problems. I also think I MIGHT have left the plain gel out of the fridge a little too long a time or 2, which may have caused it to go bad sooner.

I used a mixture of 1 tsp gluc pwd to 1 cup water. I'm wondering if you couldn't make a thicker gel tho, which would take less of it to thicken things. I haven't tried that yet, but I bet you could.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it worked for you.

Oh, by the way jlp, do you know the amounts that they use for the gel? I'm wondering how much citric acid would be used in say a gel using 1 cup water?

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 08-29-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #777
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Help, this was too tough the next time I made it

Okay, I tweaked Soobee's recipe, the second time I made it it was tough. Any ideas why? Maybe I mixed the egg yolk mix with the Gluc too long? I need help, I messed up my own birthday cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Angel Food Cake--I used it for strawberry shortcake
1 cup Jay Robb vanilla egg white protein (Soobe uses whey protein)
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
2 tsp glucomannon powder (I would try 1 tsp next time)
1/8 tsp salt
1tsp cream of tartar
6 large eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp princess cake flavoring
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
7 tbsp Erytritol and 1 pkg stevia and a few drops of neotame mix

Preheat oven to 300°F-150°C. Spray a Bundt pan with olive oil spray very well. Sift protein powder, baking powder, glu powder and salt and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. In another bowl, beat egg yolks, sweetener, and vanilla. Beat in almond milk, and then beat in dry ingredients.

Fold into whites very carefully, and then spoon into a prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45 minutes, then let cool 10 minutes before inverting and removing (this is the tricky part, just do your best).

72 calories 7.5 g protein. . For 12 servings very low fat

I actually got 16 servings--so even lower cal.

Hope you like this one
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #778
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for that info Bille!
As for the thickener we use in the hospital, I am not sure how much citric acid is in it.
It comes in a half or whole gallon container with a pump. The amount used depends on the thickness needed. I know it is 1 pump for each 8 oz. of water for a nectar thick consistency. I would need to measure a pump to see exactly but it looks like about a tablespoon (eye balling it). 2 pumps for honey thick. Just shake it up and it mixes easily.
I am thinking that the gluc. would sure be easier to use that way as well.
I can't imagine it would take much citric acid to keep it from molding, especially if it is
stored in the frig.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

Oh no Janie! That's too bad that you ruined your own birthday cake.
Happy birthday!!!!

Sorry I can't help, cause since I don't even care for angel food cake, I have never tried it. But,,,,,, the cause may very well have been that you mixed the egg whites & the gluc too long. That's really the only thing I can think of, especially since I've never made it. I do think it could cause it tho. I've learned to only mix the gluc into the eggs when making the gluc bread just long enough to get it mixed in well.

You're welcome jlb! And I didn't know if your "gel" came premixed, of if you mixed it. I really doubt it would take much citric acid to keep it from molding tho, especially as you said, if it is kept in the fridge.
I also imagine you could mix a stronger than the 1 tsp per cup of water to make a gel to use also. I just found that at that concentration, it took quite a bit of it to thicken much.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #780
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
I like the fruit smoothie idea!
Does anyone know if one could make up a gel of the glu and water and keep it in
the frig to use to thicken things?
At work, the thickener that dietary uses to thicken liquids for patients that cannot
tolerate thin liquids is a gel made of xanthan, water, citric acid (preservative since it is not refrigerated). It is pretty convenient to use in this form. Pump it in and shake or stir it up. I don't see why something similar couldn't be done using glu?
I looked this up and found a product called Simply Thick and it looks like 121 pumps in a 64 oz bottle of gel. So approx 1/2 oz to thicken 4-8oz, according to the thickness wanted. It sounds like something we could work on. Maybe I will try and come up with something.