Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #721
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Well, I tried the pudding recipe i found on a site: called for 1 cup almond breeze, some sweetener and 2t Glucomannon.

It tasted like chocolate glue. Maybe two teaspoons is too much. My first recipe I tried. I added some more milk and whipped it smooth in my bullet, but it was still making gluey strands and sticking to my mouth a lot. Maybe I should try something more savory and sauce like.

I obviously have texture issues when it comes to viscous foods. Starch puddings and custards are hit or miss for me anyway, and I rejected Jello Brands New Mousse desserts for the texture also. I'll keep trying, Ive got loads of pages to reread through and have emailed myself many of the recipes. I hope I can find as much enjoyment in using this product as you all do, but I guess no pudding for me.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #722

double post.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #723
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
metga--keep trying til it is right for you!!

I made a new flavour that I love--almond milk plus PB2 plus glu plus sweetener--best combo yet for me! Love peanut butter anything!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #724

Quote:
metga--keep trying til it is right for you!!
Yep, I got a whole bag to experiment with.
I guess I should try starting with less rather than more. I think, since I'm not really a pudding fan, that I'll just look for recipes like things I already like, like soups and sauces. The egg drop sounds like a good try...

ETA: Hey, I'm planning to make some corndogs with LC pancake mix and corn meal, do you think some gluc powder will help the batter be thicker and stick to the hotdogs better?

Last edited by metqa; 05-29-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #725
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Ok I have a question. My favorite glucc recipe so far is still Marcea's rolls. I'm wondering if anyone thinks or has a suggestion on how to use them as matzo balls. I want some matzo ball soup. I've never had it but it looks so good.

Last edited by MsWoods; 05-31-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #726
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Well, I tried the pudding recipe i found on a site: called for 1 cup almond breeze, some sweetener and 2t Glucomannon.

It tasted like chocolate glue. Maybe two teaspoons is too much. My first recipe I tried. I added some more milk and whipped it smooth in my bullet, but it was still making gluey strands and sticking to my mouth a lot. Maybe I should try something more savory and sauce like.

I obviously have texture issues when it comes to viscous foods. Starch puddings and custards are hit or miss for me anyway, and I rejected Jello Brands New Mousse desserts for the texture also. I'll keep trying, Ive got loads of pages to reread through and have emailed myself many of the recipes. I hope I can find as much enjoyment in using this product as you all do, but I guess no pudding for me.
I use 1 tsp per cup of almond milk and that is plenty to get it to pudding texture. I also think the addition of about 2 tsp (or more to taste) of unsweetened cocoa powder really gives it a better mouth-feel. Keep experimenting!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #727
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
*drool*

I saw an episode of Two & A Half men last night and Judith served Alan Warm pudding. In my mind it was a warm rice pudding and looked so good. I wanted some. I think you are my LC Angel and you knew I needed LC warm pudding

Im making my first batch of this tonight and I forgot the pp duuuh.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Ouiz and Zudy,
Do the bags of miracle products freeze well? Does freezing change their texture or cause them to break down?
It would just be me eating them and it would take me a LONG time to eat 10 bags!
Do they have a long shelf life?
TIA!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 AM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2009 View Post
Ouiz and Zudy,
Do the bags of miracle products freeze well? Does freezing change their texture or cause them to break down?
It would just be me eating them and it would take me a LONG time to eat 10 bags!
Do they have a long shelf life?
TIA!
DO NOT FREEZE THEM! They will be ruined.
the water crystalizes leaving the fiber behind and when thawed the water leaves the structure behind and you are left with rubberbands.

I repeat, DO NOT FREEZE Miracle Noodles, Shiritaki Noodles, Konyakku Noodles, ...any rehydrated glucomannan product is ruined by freezing. they store just fine for a year at room temperature in the unopened package.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #730
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
a Glu recipes for JUDDD down days:

1 bag miracle rice drained and dried
1 tsp glu powder
1/3 scoop protein powder
cinnamon, sweetener, vanilla, almond milk, flavourings as desired

mix well and heat--yummy "oatmeal" for very few calories--35?
Um, yummmmooooo. Yeah I'm going to order a bunch of shiratake rice just for this

This particular one is sf praline torani and lots of cinnamon w/unflavored whey pp (all I had). I want to try peach! I have peach torani at home.

I did warm everything but the glucc separately then stirred in the glucc afterwards. I think warming stuff with glucc powder in it in the micro makes it smell a bit fishy.

Last edited by MsWoods; 06-01-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #731
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for that piece of advice Metqa!
I am going to start with the noodles which I can get 1 bag of from Netrition. If I like
those I will order the rice. I really miss rice.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #732
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phos4us
Stats: I'm trying to give up the scale! 5'11"/41 yrs
Start Date: Restart: May 25, 2011
I'm not sure if this has already been covered - I've spent days reading this board, catching up on what's new in the LC word and I'm sure I still haven't even made a dent in it :lol So many new ingredients to explore since I was eating LC last! Anyway, if it's a repetition, please ignore

It seems the gluco powder works quite well as a cream stabilizer too.
I was whipping up 1 cup of heavy cream in the kitchen aid on high speed as usual. When the cream was as stiff as I wanted it and all the other ingredients were added (sweetener, flavor etc) I let a capsule of gluc drizzle/dust in.

Actually it was more like the "wind" from the speeding whisk sort of blew it in a tiny bit at the time, I just held it there. After it was all in, I let the whisk go a little longer just to be sure it's all incorporated.

No lumps, no globbing, but the cream on the pie held up SO much better at room temp! Much like the starchy cream stabilizers I used to use for gateaus and such really!

The only thing that changed was that the appearance of the whipped cream was a bit more "shiny" than usual!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #733
Senior LCF Member

Lemon Ice Cream (Gluc Style)

Last edited by Phos4us; 06-03-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #734
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I use gluc in my whipped cream all the time for stabilization and it works great, better and easier than anything else I've tried. I got the tip from Soobee on a different thread.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #735
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a question and don't have time to read back thru all the posts so would appreciate some help.

Last Sunday I made waffles using the recipe called BettyR's Amzing waffles. They are the best waffles I made so far but they seemed a little fragile in the middle so I was wondering if adding some gluc would help firm these up. What do you think?

I also ran out of Walden Farms syrup so I dug out of the fridge the gluc maple syrup experiment that I made a while back and it was still good so I stuck in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up and it really tasted pretty good and the texture was spot on. I need to experiment with that again to get the flavor just right.

Thanks for any help.

Pam
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #736
Senior LCF Member

I might only be of limited help here as I don't know the recipe and a search didn't bring anything up for me, so I can only guess. I've been using my own low carb waffle recipe for years (almond flour, protein powder, VWG, eggs, butter etc) and for the waffle batter I always include some guar gum. It just seems to make it all less fragile, also when toasting later. I would imagine that gluc powder could do much the same thing. The waffle batter also makes really good yellow cake and then I usually leave out the guar gum as you want a more crumbly texture for that.
Not sure that helped
Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #737
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, that helped. I also have read that xanthum gum would help firm up baked goods and I have that on hand so I may try it first but what amount would you use?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #738
Senior LCF Member

my gluc is on the way!! I finally got around to ordering. I'm excited to try some of these recipes.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #739
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Angel Food Cake--I used it for strawberry shortcake
1 cup Jay Robb vanilla egg white protein (Soobe uses whey protein)
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
2 tsp glucomannon powder (I would try 1 tsp next time)
1/8 tsp salt
1tsp cream of tartar
6 large eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp princess cake flavoring
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
7 tbsp Erytritol and 1 pkg stevia and a few drops of neotame mix

Preheat oven to 300°F-150°C. Spray a Bundt pan with olive oil spray very well. Sift protein powder, baking powder, glu powder and salt and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. In another bowl, beat egg yolks, sweetener, and vanilla. Beat in almond milk, and then beat in dry ingredients.

Fold into whites very carefully, and then spoon into a prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45 minutes, then let cool 10 minutes before inverting and removing (this is the tricky part, just do your best).

72 calories 7.5 g protein. . For 12 servings very low fat

I actually got 16 servings--so even lower cal.

Hope you like this one
What is neotame mix???
Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #740
Senior LCF Member

I got the gluc!! Netrition is great, only 2 days from order to arrival!! NOw I am ready to experiment.
Anyway, questions...

Ouiz,
Looking at the flavorless muffin recipe, I am wondering what your final version was? I think I saw that you said you were tweaking but then the thread ended.
Also, when you say you make up baggies, how much mix in each baggie? Are they turning out well using chia gel? (what ratio of chia to water are you using?) and lastly,
can I sub more whey or res. corn or wheat starch for oat fiber, which I simply cannot tolerate the intestinal effects of? Is there any chance that you can post a photo of the muffins sometime?
Sorry to be such a pain! TIA!!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #741
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
well--no pics, lol, but let me tell you my most recent iteration of my muffin without oat fiber--which I make up one at a time:

2 Tbs whey protein powder
1 Tbs coconut flour (or almond or hazelnut flour--your choice)
1 Tbs psyllium powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder

Stir all flours well

Add eggbeaters and your flavour sf davinci syrup--I kinda eyeball this and add enough liquid to make a nice batter

microwave 1 minute check and then add more time as needed. do not overcook as the protein powder will make it too dry if you do so.

I mix a little ff cream cheese with some walden farms pancake syrup to make a delicious frosting. Very good very filling recipe without oat fiber.

no final version lol as I am always experimenting with different combos of "flours"

not currently using chia gel.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #742
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Ouiz!!
This one sounds really good and easy too!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #743
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rubi
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post
Yes, I understand what you're saying about alot of Gluc. However, I kinda figure for making bread I use about 2 tsp gluc to equal 1 C of flour. So when I'm figuring out how much gluc to use - that is the equivalent I aim for. When you consider that there are 100 servings per Gluc bag that costs $19.00. That makes it .19 cents per tsp so $1.33 for this recipe. I'm not sure - but I think that pretty comparable or maybe a little less money that 7 cups of flour.
Hi everybody,
I've really been enjoying reading this subject here. But this is my very first post.
I have ordered some powder from Konjac because I wanted to make my own noodles.
I can't always buy them here.

There is another topic/thread on low carb friends called homemade shirataki noodles and I have no idea how to go about creating a link but someone there said that after 6 attempts at making them, they got it.
They said that there was a typo in the recipe on the konjac site....it should have been 2 tablespoons of powder (not 2 teaspoons).
My powder hasn't arrived yet. But I will try that and let you know if I had any more luck.

Marcea, The reason I posted the quote above is....are you saying that in some baking recipes that you can maybe substitute 2tspoons of gluc for 1 cup of flour?

I can see that this is all experimental cookery but I find that a very interesting concept to help me keep my calories down. Like you I need to count both carbs and calories to keep my weight down.
And I don't use protein powders. But I love bakery food....

Thanks
Rubi.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #744
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rubi
I cut and pasted from the other thread. Hope it works???

Junior LCF Member
NMThoman

Gallery: NMThoman
Homemade shiratake noodle recipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the actual recipe. I read all of your posts & your replies, bought the powder, found the recipe and started experimenting. After 6 batches, I figured out the problem. Ratio!

I think the recipe that everyone keeps quoting has a typo in it. When you create your water/glu mixture, you should be using 2 T rather than 2t. Yep, two tablespoons rather than 2 teaspoons - big - big difference.

HERE'S THE BEST RECIPE:

2 Tablespoons konjak (glucomannen) powder
2 Cups COLD water
1/8 teaspoon Pickling Lime
3 teaspoons COLD water

FIRST
Prep all ingredients - this is a 3 minute process & you wont have time to mix things. Mix the
1/8 tsp lime powder with the 3 tsp cold water. Mix well & set aside.

Put 2 cups COLD water in sauce pan. With one hand start stirring. With the other start adding the glu powder ---- GENTLY--- you should add such small amounts at a time that it should look like dust falling off the spoon into the water. You will have a clear slimy mixture. Turn the heat on high and cook.

As you cook, the mixture will turn opaque this is 35 - 50 SECONDS after putting on burner. Maybe a little longer depending on temp, pot, etc. But it is relatively quick. Cook a minute or two until you are sure it is hot.

Swirl the lime water mixture to ensure that it is still mixed. Pour into the lime mixture into the hot glu mix. Keep stirring. Keep heating. When thoroughly mixed pour out onto a wet tray, plate or cookie sheet.

With wet hands smooth the surface, pressing all over to roll it thing. Let cool. Once cool, you can do as you like - make noodles, dumplings or anything else. I rolled out (with my fingers) on a cutting board & cut with a pizza cutter into strips. Put the cut strips into water & they will loose the sticky" feeling without absorbing more wate
r. I DO NOT recommend halving this recipe becausse it's hard to accurately measure the lime and too much lime will make the noodles taste nasty. If this is more than you need, simply store the remaining portion in water in the fridge for a few days.

Last edited by rubi; 06-16-2011 at 01:58 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #745
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
I've been experimenting with Angel Food Cake and have to thank Soobee for the missing ingredient (the 1 teaspoon glucomannan!). I used a recipe posted a long time ago here by Tater Head and modified it quite a bit but it turned out exactly like an angel cake. Until I tried making angel cake with glucomannan, the texture was not right and the cake was too dry. Tater Head's recipe used 10 egg whites (I used the equivalent in dried whites--Now brand from Netrition), 1/2 t. salt (I left that out), 1 1/4 t. cream of tarter (I thought that sounded like too much but I used it anyway and it worked great..the whites whipped up in nothing flat!), 1/2 t. each almond and vanilla flavoring, 1/2 c unflavored or vanilla whey powder and 1/2 c. barley flour (I used instead 1 cup vanilla whey powder--no flour of any kind. My brand this time is "Whey to Go"--and 1 c splenda powdered in a blender + 3/4 c splenda. I don't use splenda so I used 1 cup powdered maltitol i got from Netrition. This is not equivalent in sweetness to the splenda but I prefer the finished result less sweet. Oh yes..and i sifted the 1 t. gluc. powder with the maltitol and whey powder. This makes a full size cake in a regular angel food cake pan. It keeps for two or three days at room temp (and I froze some pieces for later!) Yes..with the maltitol I would think one large piece at any time is probably the limit! I did also put a little butter & cream vanilla icing (very little) on each piece when served. If anyone needs the technical directions for making the cake, let me know and I'll try to figure out how to link to Tater Head's recipe.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #746
Senior LCF Member

Yes, please post as a recipe if you can. I am a bit confused as to the amount of sweetener. Is it 1 3/4 c. total?
Angel food cake with SF syrup, thickened with gluc. sounds really good right now!

The powdered egg white protein whips up like regular egg whites?
I think I still have some that need used up. Otherwise, I will use real egg whites and use the yolks for ice cream or noodles.

Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #747

i have powdered egg whites and I use it all the time to keep from "wasting" yolks, which usually get fed to the cat so it's not really a waste, but it's so easy to just scoop out the powder, hydrate and whip rather than cracking and separating eggs.

I get lovely easy whipped whites and meringues with it.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsitaly View Post
I use 1 tsp per cup of almond milk and that is plenty to get it to pudding texture. I also think the addition of about 2 tsp (or more to taste) of unsweetened cocoa powder really gives it a better mouth-feel. Keep experimenting!
I don't know how I missed this post! Thanks for your references, I think I will try again. I hate to be the odd one out!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #749
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
The Now Egg White Protein is 100% egg whites and is far cheaper than "Just Whites". To reconstitute it, mix 1 T of powder with 3 T of water. Here's Tater Head's recipe posted in 2005 with my changes noted:

"Angel Food Cake"
Ingredients:
10 Egg Whites (from XL Eggs) [I used 10 T. Now Dried egg whites + 30 T water]
1/2 tsp Salt [I left salt out]
1 1/4 tsp Cream Of Tartar
1/2 tsp Almond Flavoring
1/2 tsp Vanilla Flavoring
1/2 cup Unflavored Whey Protein (or the vanilla kind goes well with it too)
1/2 cup Barley Flour [I used 1 cup Whey to Go Vanilla Whey Protein and no flour]
1 cup Splenda (whizzed in the coffee grinder to make it more like confectioner's sugar) I would use "Steels powdered next time"
3/4 cup Splenda (just out of the box)[I used Steel's Powdered Maltitol-1 cup total. If you like it sweeter you might add more or a few drops of stevia?]

Important addition to dry ingredients: 1 teaspoon glucomannan powder!

Preheat oven to 375.

1. Beat the egg whites and the salt on high spead until just frothy.
2. Add the cream of tartar and flavorings and beat until soft peaks (don't overbeat ... it could make the cake dry and crumbly)
3. Add 1 cup of (whizzed) Splenda (a little at the time) and continue beating until well incorporated.
4. In a seperate bowl sift together the remaining splenda, whey protein and barley flour. It is best to sift it about 3 times.
5. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over your egg whites and fold with a spatula (don't do this with an electric mixer!). Continue until all the flour mix is well incorporated.
6. Pour into an ungreased Angelfood pan. Once all the batter is in there shake the pan a LITTLE to settle the dough and release any airblubbles. You could also just "cut" the dough lightly with a knife (don't cut too deep or you will damage your pan!!)
7. Bake for around 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
After taking your pan out of the oven, invert it (upside down) on a plate or the counter top and let it cool this way.
8. Once cooled the cake will come out quite easily.

4.7g carbs/slice (at 16 generous slices) with 6g protein per slice

*I used the CMF Whey Protein Isolate from the Protein Factory ... this yielded the best result.

-----
I pretty much followed the above directions except that I whipped the egg whites stiff, mixed the powdered maltitol, glucomannan powder and protein powder together then sifted them a couple of times, then added them as directed. Poured it into an angel cake pan, cut through batter as usual with an angel cake to avoid air pockets and baked. It came out exactly like "sugar" angel food cakes. My cake pan has a bottom which comes out. It might be a bit difficult to get it out of a pan which doesn't so if yours doesn't, it'd be good to put a piece of parch. paper on the bottom. As is the case with most of these recipes, results seem to vary with the types of sweeteners and the types of protein powder used so I have no idea how this would work with other types! I may try Jay Robb Vanilla Whey next time to see if it works! I read somewhere (and don't recall where) that someone used maltitol syrup (Netrition sells two brands--Joseph's and Steel's) to hydrate the egg whites. That might work too. In my experience with egg white things, I've only had luck using isomalt or maltitol to get textures similar to sugared recipes.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Zudy!!