Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #691
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I was using xanthan gum in small quantities with the gluc. I had the capsules of gluc and wanted to extend them. 1/2t. gluc with 1/8t. xanthan would "pudding" 2 cups of liquid.

Yes I made pudding a verb. If I can make up foods out of weird ingredients, I am allowed to make up words to go with them.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #692
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Ouizoid - I made your sauce!!! It was gread!!! Thanks sooooo much. Husband loves the hot stuff so I put a little extra of the siracha in it. Gonna have to keep that one right on hand!

drjlocarb - I Chocolate "puddinged" some Almond milk last night. LOL (good Veryb usage) It turned out very well. Thanks! I made Billie Chocolate cake and layered it with the pudding and put strawberries on top. It was really good!!!! I was curious about how soon the "pudding" happened after you mixed in the Glu and Xanthum Gum. For me it didn't happen right away - it took some time in the fridge, sure was good though.

Cheers
Marcea
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #693
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Marcea- I make pudding the night before I want it because it does take some time to set. I am not sure how long for sure as I have never checked til morning. Sorry no help.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #694
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Drjlocarb - not a problem at all. Overnight is fine - I just get impatient.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #695
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hi Y'all!

I read this thread, but many of the recipes use ingredients that I don't (dairy, artificial sweeteners, protein powders, oat bran etc), but I enjoy reading all the posts.

I just wanted to say that I use gluc ALL the time for my family cooking. They are not low carb or gluten-free as I am. But, I use gluc to thicken homemade chicken broth into gravy, Amazing! I use it in baking and I use it to thicken pure organic maple syrup that I thin with water to make it last longer. I stir in some gluc and it thickens right up! I love the fact that gluc thickens in cold liquids!

Oh oh, I made an organic cheese sauce for my kids mac and cheese last night using organic dehydrated cheese power, added gluc to the milk and stirred it THICK! So thick and gorgeous and they loved it!

So, it works for just about every thickening need I have and it only uses a tiny bit, so it's very cost-effective. I like it better than corn starch, arrowroot or flour.

Just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. Back to your yummy recipes! I'll live vicariously through you all!
Thanks for your post. It's common everyday usage like this that I've been lurking and reading to find out about. I don't find the need to thicken often and when I do it's xanthan. But I'd like to thicken things more like cornstarch does, and I think I could increase my menu variety. Chinese food for example has sauces that have to be not viscous and cornstarch is the major thickener there. as well as beef stews and such. pumpkin puree only goes so far and makes everything orangy! I've been hesitating to get gluc powder cause most of the talk is about puddings and desserts and bready things that I don't really care for, but I feel reassured by your comments, thanks a lot!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #696
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 195
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2014
subscribing
Old 05-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #697
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoosinItNow
Stats: 305/287/180 goal
WOE: Lost 30 w/HCG to 230, Sick 1yr, back to 305!
Start Date: This time, Jan 28, 2013
Cauliflower Nachos

I'm doing HCG right now, and posted this on that thread, but it was suggested that I also post it here. So...

I was looking in my freezer and saw the cauliflower - and remembered the recipe for LC Cauliflower Nacho Chips! The LC recipe uses cheese and eggs, which are for the most part not allowed on HCG (cheese, I mean). So I thought as I'd been playing around with glucomannan, that could replace the eggs as a binder, and nacho cheese flavoring as a topping, making low calorie chips!

Here is the Recipe:

1 Bag frozen cauliflower (100 cals)
1/2 Cup hot water (microwave 1-2 min)
1/2 tsp glucomannan
Salt & other spices to flavor

I cooked the cauliflower, drained it, and pureed it in my food processer for several minutes. Take it out, and use food processer to whip the glucomannan and the hot water together until it gets viscous. Add the cauliflower back in, process until incorporated.

Heat oven to 400, then either spray cookie sheet or place parchment paper down on sheet (I still spritz with spray). Take drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto tray and then take the back of the spoon and smooth them into half dollar sized "chips". Try to make them as uniform as possible in size and thickness, so they will all cook evenly.

Bake for 35 minutes, flip and reduce oven to 350. Bake an additional 5 - 10 minutes, until they start to crisp up. There is a fine line from done, to burnt, so watch them the last few minutes! I season them when I flip them, I used sea salt & nacho flavorings. You could use a whole host of seasonings, though. My batch made about 20 chips, so they would be about 5 -6 calories a chip, depending on what size you make and what seasonings you use.

Great munchies, and a little more substantial than spinach chips!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #698

now that is INTERESTING.... Thanks LoosinitNow!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #699
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I can't wait til I have time to try this.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #700
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
delicious cake:

2 Tbs psyllium powder (I use trader joes)
2 Tbs oat fiber
2 Tbs erythritol
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan
1/3 cup eggbeaters
DaVinci syrup to make a batter (1/3 c?)

nuke 1 minute. really really great texture and so filling--
Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Is there a thread about this oat fiber that I hear so much about? I don't want to threadjack but I would like to know more about it.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #702
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
This isn't really a recipe, but just wanted to share that a simple additional has improved my pudding 100%!

I like things simple and quick...and of course LC and lower calorie is nice too:

1 c Choc unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp Glucc
Stevia to taste

I have done this just by shaking it and it turns out fine - a few lumps but that's okay with me.

last night I did the same in my Ninja and it whipped it up with no lumps and YUM! super simple and DD 3 was loving it.

it did get super thick FAST in the Ninja, so I might add a little more Almond milk next time

First goal of 124 made 04/14/11
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #703
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Thanks for your post. It's common everyday usage like this that I've been lurking and reading to find out about. I don't find the need to thicken often and when I do it's xanthan. But I'd like to thicken things more like cornstarch does, and I think I could increase my menu variety. Chinese food for example has sauces that have to be not viscous and cornstarch is the major thickener there. as well as beef stews and such. pumpkin puree only goes so far and makes everything orangy! I've been hesitating to get gluc powder cause most of the talk is about puddings and desserts and bready things that I don't really care for, but I feel reassured by your comments, thanks a lot!
Hi metqa!!! Good to "see" you again!

I am loving using my gluc powder for all sorts of things and it works better for me than xanthan or anything else. I only use a tiny bit and it thickens so good and fast!

I'm adding a little bit to my protein shake and I love the consistency!

I hope you're having fun playing with gluc!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Hi metqa!!! Good to "see" you again!

I am loving using my gluc powder for all sorts of things and it works better for me than xanthan or anything else. I only use a tiny bit and it thickens so good and fast!

I'm adding a little bit to my protein shake and I love the consistency!

I hope you're having fun playing with gluc!
I should be getting my gluc in the mail sometime soon. Funny I still have things on my "list" from years ago, but I've already decided to try gluc before those others, like carbquick. I look forward to trying it out.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I tried a recipe the other day and was really happy with it. I started out with Dotties
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html

I took another suggestion in that thread and used 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 almond flour, added gluc and butter and baked it in the oven instead of microwaving. so this is the adapted recipe

Biscuits
mix together
2T (heaping) coconut flour.
2T (heaping) Almond flour
1 tsp glu powder
good pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder

cut in 2-3 TBLS butter
add 2 large egg
mix in 1/4 cup heavy cream, water, almond milk, whichever you prefer.
scoop onto a cookie sheet with a scooper, this dough is too loose to cut out.
Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Makes 1 really large or 2 regular biscuits.

These are not flaky like a really good biscuit but I think it's a good substitute, the best I have found.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #706
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Konjac Gluc Powder is Definitely Better

In case someone else is new to Glucomannan Powder and trying to decide what brand to try ...

Back in March I posted about the Healthy Village brand Gluc Powder I used has a detectable fishy smell and comes thru in the end product if the flavorings or seasonings not strong enough to cover it. Several members who used the Konjac brand responded they did not experience the same issue. That made me wonder if all brands of Gluc Powder are created equal.

When Netrition started carrying the Konjac brand recently, I ordered a bag along with some other items. After the package arrived first thing I did was to open up the Konjac Gluc Powder and smelled it - NO odor at all and also looks whiter than the HV brand. I made Ouiz's Caramel Apple Super Low OMM the following morning using the Konjac brand and it smelled JUST apple with ZERO fishiness. I have always loved the chocolate version but am now able to interchange the two for variety which is great! Its thickening and gelling power also superior to the HV brand.

I initially tried the HV brand because the product+shipping together was about $7.00 cheaper in comparison to ordering the Konjac brand from their website. Now that it's available thru Netrition I'll definitely stay with Konjac brand for sure.

Ev
Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #707
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
I notice that no matter how much sweetener I use, it never tastes sweet... Talking puddings here. I usually use liquid splenda and after it is done, I have to sprinkle with sweet and low.

Tonight i mixed in my Ninja

1 cup Hood Calorie Countdown (could use almomd or cocnut milk)
1/2 tsp glic
Sweetener
Vanilla

Whirled that for a few and added frozen raspberries. Ate it immediately, prob should have waited a while.

I also made the same concoction without the fruit to bring to work tomorrow. May add some fresh blueberries.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
delicious cake:

2 Tbs psyllium powder (I use trader joes)
2 Tbs oat fiber
2 Tbs erythritol
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan
1/3 cup eggbeaters
DaVinci syrup to make a batter (1/3 c?)

nuke 1 minute. really really great texture and so filling--
Ouizoid, do you not find psyllium gritty? Dee.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #709
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey dee--the psyllium I use is from trader joes--not in the least gritty, and makes an excellent "flour" for microwaved baked goods if combined with other "flours"
Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #710
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
I tried a recipe the other day and was really happy with it. I started out with Dotties
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html

I took another suggestion in that thread and used 1/2 coconut flour and 1/2 almond flour, added gluc and butter and baked it in the oven instead of microwaving. so this is the adapted recipe

Biscuits
mix together
2T (heaping) coconut flour.
2T (heaping) Almond flour
1 tsp glu powder
good pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder

cut in 2-3 TBLS butter
add 2 large egg
mix in 1/4 cup heavy cream, water, almond milk, whichever you prefer.
scoop onto a cookie sheet with a scooper, this dough is too loose to cut out.
Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Makes 1 really large or 2 regular biscuits.

These are not flaky like a really good biscuit but I think it's a good substitute, the best I have found.
I tried Dottie's just a little while ago and I think I will try this one this week!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #711
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

a Glu recipes for JUDDD down days:

1 bag miracle rice drained and dried
1 tsp glu powder
1/3 scoop protein powder
cinnamon, sweetener, vanilla, almond milk, flavourings as desired

mix well and heat--yummy "oatmeal" for very few calories--35?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #712
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:

1 tsp glu powder
1/3 scoop protein powder

*drool*

I saw an episode of Two & A Half men last night and Judith served Alan Warm pudding. In my mind it was a warm rice pudding and looked so good. I wanted some. I think you are my LC Angel and you knew I needed LC warm pudding
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #713
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I DID you sweet thing!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #714
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Do you have any problems with the gluc not mixing well in this recipe? I seem to have problems getting it mixed in properly.

Quote:
1 tsp glu powder
1/3 scoop protein powder

Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #715
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I mix the pp and glu together separately--and then sprinkle on top of the drained rice and then stir stir stir--then I top with some almond milk and stir again and then heat in the micro--no problems at all--
Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Ouiz,
Where would one find the Miracle Rice?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #717
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

google is your friend! I can't post a link because of TOS but you can google miracle noodles--the rice is wonderful--
Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #718
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
Yep, Ouiz, I did that right after I posted. I found it but I don't think I want to buy that many bags.
I am going to order the gluc. and miracle noodles from Netrition since I can order 1 bag to try.
Do all of the other miracle products taste the same?
I think we should request that Netrition carry the other products!
I've never tried the noodles because long ago I found shiratake noodles in the grocery store and they were nasty. But they were made from soy. So apparently there is more than 1 shiratake!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #719
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zudy
WOE: vlc
I agree with Ouiz that the Miracle Rice is great. None of these have any taste..it's more about texture (at least the way I use it). The Miracle Rice is just like large-pearl tapioca when made into pudding and tastes the same (since tapioca really doesn't have any flavor either). It's also sort of like barley when thrown into a soup. I suppose you could also put it into some sort of drink to make a "bubble drink". I've just started experimenting with the Miracle Rice and am sure there will be other great uses.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #720
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

just make sure to rinse and dry the noodles well. I made an awesome celery soup today! one carton of chicken broth (20 cals total), chopped celery, green onions, and garlic--boil til soft, then use stick blender to puree. Finally add a bag of rinsed "rice". So yummy and filling and only about 7 cals per cup or so.