Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #661
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
link to Glu Ranch Dressing

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...c-no-mayo.html

I thought this was a great idea--along the lines for this thread.

Janie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #662
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I had made some glucc cupcakes this weekend I meant to post about but forgot. They are derived from marcea's roll recipe. I made this many because, well, I wanted this many lol.

Recipe:
8 Whole Large Eggs
2 Tbsp glucc Powder
1.5 Scoops Jay Robb Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tsp Baking Powder
3-4 Drops EZ-SweetZ
1/4 Cup SF Vanilla Torani

I made these just like marcea's instructions for the Glucc/parm rolls. Beat the Eggs until fluffy, add the EZ-Sweetz, SF Torani and Baking Powder and mix well. Then Add the Glucc slowly while beating the mixture until it forms waves in the batter. Then add the protein powder and mix well. The batter was a little wetter than the roll batter. It's about the consistency of cake batter.

I then spooned it into 24 muffin tin sections and baked at 350 until they were firm to the touch. Probably about 15-20 min. Just check them after 10 min and every few minutes after. When they are firm to the touch they are done.

The nutrition counts (w/o frosting and sprinkled chocolate chips or coconut, will post frosting next) for the whole recipe is:
Calories:742 Fat:39.8g Carbs:16.9g Fiber:10.11g Net Carb:6.79g

Per 1/24th Recipe:
Calories:30.92 Fat:1.66g Carbs:0.70g Fiber:0.42g Net Carb:0.28g

Frosting:
1/2 Stick Butter (1/4 cup at room temp)
2 scoops either Jay Robb or Unflavored protein powder ( I used unflavored)
5-6 Drops E-Z Sweetz
1 Tbsp SF Vanilla Torani

Mix all very well until frosting consistency. Frost the cupcakes and add optional chocolate chips or coconut flakes. For the red frosting I added 1/2 packet of fruit punch Hawaiian Punch (on the go, sf packets, look like crystal light packets).

Frosting Counts:Whole Recipe:
Calories:627 Fat:46g Carbs:2g Fiber:0g Net Carbs:2g

Per 1/24th Recipe:
Calories:26.13 Fat:1.92g Carbs:0.08g Fiber:0g Net Carbs:0.08g

Counts Per 1/24th Cupcake w/frosting:
Calories57.05 Fat:3.58g Carbs:0.78 Fiber:0.42 Net Carbs:0.36g

Last edited by MsWoods; 04-28-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hi Y'all!

I read this thread, but many of the recipes use ingredients that I don't (dairy, artificial sweeteners, protein powders, oat bran etc), but I enjoy reading all the posts.

I just wanted to say that I use gluc ALL the time for my family cooking. They are not low carb or gluten-free as I am. But, I use gluc to thicken homemade chicken broth into gravy, Amazing! I use it in baking and I use it to thicken pure organic maple syrup that I thin with water to make it last longer. I stir in some gluc and it thickens right up! I love the fact that gluc thickens in cold liquids!

Oh oh, I made an organic cheese sauce for my kids mac and cheese last night using organic dehydrated cheese power, added gluc to the milk and stirred it THICK! So thick and gorgeous and they loved it!

So, it works for just about every thickening need I have and it only uses a tiny bit, so it's very cost-effective. I like it better than corn starch, arrowroot or flour.

Just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. Back to your yummy recipes! I'll live vicariously through you all!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Good Morning Janie!!!! Sounds like you've got your hands full "cooking for the masses". Good luck!!!! and don't wear yourself you too much!!!!

Thanks for the experiment ideas! I swear - sometimes I feel like the mad scientist. and quite frankly chemistry and I get along like too stray cats!!! :blush: I keep fiddling with Cinnamon rolls. I can easily do a GF cinnamon roll - but so far I haven't been able to do a Low Carb GF one. The one you posted has some really good ideas - I'll just have to let my brain do a little more pondering. Ranch dressing looks interesting too - have to try that one out.

ShadowZip - glad to help out. Please let me know how it goes when you get home. In the meantime - I hope you are enjoying your time away. and it's great the Cheese rolls are serving your needs at the moment.

Ohhhhhhhhh Ms Woods - hose Cupcakes look wonderful!!!! I'll have to give them a try - I'll just have to figure out an alternative for the protein Shake.

So far I haven't found a shake that absolutely doesn't have any MSG in it and I'm deathly allergic to the stuff. MSG is actually a major neurotoxin and unfortunately Manufacturers use different names for it. Quite frankly anything that has processed free glutamic acid in it has MSG. Anyway, so far I haven't found a shake that isn't suspicious. If anyone knows of one - please holler!!! Also, if anyone is interested in the different names MSG goes by - here is a link you can check out. Hidden Sources of MSG

RealFoods - It sure is nice to meet you. Thanks for your post! I can eat dairy - thank-goodness, but I have to be really, really careful of anything that I don't make myself or isn't a fresh ingredient. That Mac n cheese sound good - Hmmmmmmm. Thanks!

Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #665
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
Hi everyone...just wanted to report back that I did end up packing some Gluc in an empty tylenol bottle and packed in into our checked baggage. Zero problems. I did use some to make gluc pudding with Almond milk, so I can't say that it really saved the day on vacation, but I did stay on plan 100%!

Anyways...I would pack it again for our next trip!!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #666
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MsWoods, those cupcakes are absolutely beeeeeeaaaaauuuuutiful.

Was the Protein powder not cake your recipe? That was such a basic thing that works well for me. We need to resurrect that, introduce it to the newbies over at the Recipe Help.

I bet there might even be a glu use in it!! LOL, who knows?!

Thanks for the pictures.

Janie
Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #667
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MsWoods, I just now noticed you are from Texas. Me too! Gulf Coast--Houston area.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #668
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
MsWoods, those cupcakes are absolutely beeeeeeaaaaauuuuutiful.

Was the Protein powder not cake your recipe? That was such a basic thing that works well for me. We need to resurrect that, introduce it to the newbies over at the Recipe Help.

I bet there might even be a glu use in it!! LOL, who knows?!

Thanks for the pictures.

Janie
Yep yep that was my recipe thread. These cupcakes are actually pretty much my not cake recipe minus the oil, crap i forgot to add a tbsp of olive oil in the cupcake recipe lol. I added a tbsp of olive oil as well, there was no flavor either. People used to complain about how dry they were and the way i made these cupcakes took care of the dryness with minimal carbs and.calories.

Im from Amarillo!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #669
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Oh man! I read this up to page 15 or 16 and then it disappeared! Janie directed me back over here, and now there is up to page 23!! LOL- my head is spinning. So tell me, is it really worth it to read all of it? Can someone give me the clif-notes version =)

Now that I know where it is, I will stay caught up! =)
Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #670
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Janie, thanks for linking the Ranch Dressing over here. And thanks for coming up with it Chelsie. Janie, glad it's you and not me having to do all that cooking!! Come back and join in on the fun here when you can!!

MsWoods, I'm not much for cupcakes, but those do look good. Thanks for sharing!

Hi RealFood...., Good to "meet" you. As far as the sweeteners go, you can substitute any sweetener that you use. Many of the recipes are tweaks of others, using what we have, or what we use. Sometimes we end up with basically the same recipe, and sometimes we end up with new ones. So join the fun. Most of us rarely ever use oat bran (its too carby to use much), buit we often use oat fiber. People get those mixed up a lot, but they are very different. Sometimes people say (type) oat bran, but they are really meaning oat fiber. Oat fiber is just that all fiber, so unless you count all carbs & don't subtract the fiber, ie net carbs, it has no net carbs. Did that make sense? I know it is very hard to eat period, must less low carb if you are dairy intolerant, or gluten intolerant. must less both! I've thought about buying some of the powdered cheese, but never have. Thanks for throwing in your 2˘.

Marcie, thanks for the link to the MSG info. I would never have imagined (still can't of some of those things listed. Just doesn't make sense to me.) that some of those things are or contain MSG. Again some of them just don't make sense to my poor brain!! I had a container of Jay Robb egg protein pwd here, and it claims no MSG. I wasn't crazy about it myself, but I mixed it with some whey protein (which I understand you stay away from), and I can use it. It (the Jay Robb) claims no MSG. But I don't know.

Chelsie, I don't have any cliff notes as such, but Cheri (moderator) is helping me to put an index to the recipes on the first pages. Only so many characters can go in a post, so it has to take up more than one page/post. I can't really index everything said, but it catches the main recipes & topics. But there is lots of good info in between too. So read up as you can. But check out the first pages for the main things. I've also linked to recipes using Gluc on other threads too. I'm sure there are others out there that I don't know about. (If you or anyone know of any that you would like included in the index, let me or Cheri know. If you contact Cheri, you will need to let her know it is for the Glucomannan index page, and have the link to the page for her, as you want it to show up here.) She's a sweetie for helping us out with this!! Thanks Cheri!!!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Hi Billie. Just want to thank you for explaining the bit about Oat Fiber and Oat Bran - I didin't know about it. Glad to know now, I'm just about to order myself some of the "Oat Fiber". Also, thanks for the info about the Jay Rob Egg protein. I saw that they did say "No MSG" but . . . since the label says it has Glutamic Acid /Glutamine - it's a little suspicious. The actual processing of it is the issue. "Glutamic acid found in unadulterated protein does not cause adverse reactions. To cause adverse reactions, the glutamic acid must have been processed/manufactured or come from protein that has been fermented" Gesh

Hi Chelsea. Nice to meet you!!!! and thanks lots for the Ranch Dressing Recipie!!!!! Sounds very good!!! There is some really good info here!

MsWoods, Where can I find your "not cake recipie"? I've seen references to it - but didn't actually find it. I'd sure like to.

Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #673
Major LCF Poster!

You are most welcome Marcea!! Sorry, I ws thinking we had talked about that somewhere in this thread. I use the oat fiber in quite a few things, including now my Chocolate bark. I just got in an order from Netrition today. I had oat fiber in that order.

Her is the link to MsWood's "not cake": http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-brownies.html I was thinking it was a sticky, but it isn't.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #674
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I saw where mrsitaly said she packed some gluc in her luggage I just wanted to add that I also brought some in my checked suitcase on my flight also, along with some liquid sucralose and oat fiber.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #675
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again Billlie for MsWood cake link I'm headed there next to check it. I did make your Chocolate Bark - It was good!!! I made it with Oat Bran though, I must have either jumped to conclusions or who knows. In anycase - it wasn't until after I'd used it in the Chocolate Bark that I looked up the nutritional stuff for Oat Bran. It was pretty high carbs and I guess I just decided it was a special treat. Anyway, thanks lots for the clarification-I'm looking forward to using the oat fiber. In the health food store here - they only had Oat Bran. Guess the best place to get it is netrition - good price too.

Mrsitaly and Shadowzip - it's really good to know that your Glucomannan made the trip when you traveled via air. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #676
Senior LCF Member

OK - So my pancakes flopped!!!!:blush: Looked like pancakes on the outside, but was slimy in the middle. Here is the recipe I used:

Glucomannan Pancake
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c Water
2 tbsp Coconut Oil (Melted)
1/4 c Flax Seed
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Glucomannan
1 tsp Vanilla
Sweetner to taste.

The actual taste was just about right - but with the slimyness - the batch ended in the garbage. At first it started out too thin, then it got so thick - you would have thought I added more than 2 tsp Gluc. Then I added 1/2 C buttermilk. That really didn't make it much thinner. I actually cooked a couple before I added the Buttermilk - the inside texture turned out to be the same.

OK - so I'm writing my thoughts on paper here - but if anyone has any comments please feel free to chime in.

1) The actual taste of the pancakes (without the texture) was just right.
2) I am wondering what triggers the Gluc to be Slimy
3) Is there a Fluid to Gluc Ratio that would be helpful to use. Up until now, I've used about 2 tsp Gluc to = 1 C of Flour but maybe it needs to be looked at in terms of Fluid to Gluc instead.
4) I did not add BP or Baking Soda - do those interact to make it not slimy as well as help it to raise?
5) Eggs do seem to be the "carrier" substance. Meaning, when you beat them up - you create "fibers" that mimic bread when they are cooked. Perhaps that's the clincher - How many Eggs to how much Gluc?
6) There is kind of a rule of thumb that 1 tsp Flax Seed to 1/4 C water = one egg, so I've tried to use that instead of using so many eggs. Perhaps that's not a good plan
7) Since I haven't gotten the Oat Fiber that I've ordered - I can't check to see if that might help the situation. That's a perhaps, However, I did (a couple of days ago) try using Psyllium Husks - that definitely didn't help!
8) I believe Billie recently added the Gluc to scrambled Eggs and "they" turned slimy. Hmmmmmmmm Does it have to do with how long you beat the eggs?
9) One other thing I have noticed, is that some days the Gluc beats up fast and other days it takes a long time. I Believe that the Glucamannan flour is all "Konjac root", but maybe there are more potent parts of the root??? Anyway, Has anyone else noticed this? I suppose this might have to do with the temperature, when Gluc is warmer it gets thick faster but I wouldn't think that 5-10 degrees of Room Air would make that much difference?

Well, so much for my own ruminations about it. I'm wondering what you all might think about it. Gluc is such a new entity to cook with - we're still formulating the guidelines. Sure appreciate having you guys all around to bounce things off of.

Cheers
marcea

Last edited by marcea; 05-01-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #677
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
I have found that when I use flax in a recipe, it is always slimey. I have to cut down on flax because I can't get over the texture.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #678
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, Marcea, I did try putting Gluc pwd in scrambled eggs, and they turned out slimy or slick... Can't remember now how much I used, but I'm pretty sure I didn't add very much. I had 5 eggs, and 1/4 to 1/2 (maybe even less) tsp Gluc pwd. I don't think it was as much as 1/2, but like I said I've forgotten now. (may have the amount in my post. ??)

I tried the sour dough rolls a few days ago. They did pretty much like you mention here. I think I ended up baking them around an hour!! They were still slightly doughy/gummy in the middle. I am eating them by cutting them in half & toasting them. Don't think I hardly go eating them otherwise. I dod have to admit I varied some in my recipe, but I won't try making them again. Just too much trouble (I'm lazy, and hate to cook) for what I got. We all have different tastes. These are just not for me. I'll go back to the Coconut Gluc bread. But even with it, I'm still trying to figure out how to keep it from being so "wet" inside. I can't figure out how long I should cook it. I forgot to even do my tweaks the second time I made it. I THINK I made it by the recipe. Not only was it very dense, it was still just too wet inside, and I baked it a LONG time. I like that bread tho, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it too cook better in the middle, and how long I should bake it.
Next time I make it, I do intend to go back to replacing part of the coconut flour with oat fiber. (Just forgot this last time.) It was a really pretty loaf of bread. Prettier than the first one I made and posted the pic of. I did add a little more water to that loaf, as the other was just too thick to spread well. I still feel I need that extra water, but not sure how to "dry it up" without making it too thick. I did TRY not to beat the eggs & gluc too long.
I may have beat them too long for the rolls! ??? Mine were NOT easy to spread. I used mini cake pans rather than trying to spread on the pan.

Well, I wasn't ANY help about the pancakes. I have no clue what to try. Sorry. I use flax meal all the time, and rarely have it cause my cakes, or whatever to be slimy. I didn't say never. I personally think the slimy texture of the pancakes comes from the Gluc. But it might possibly be a combo of the gluc & the flax meal. ???

Oh, I guess I should tell about my egg noodle/dumpling experiment a couple of days ago. (yesterday?) I mixed up some egg, oat fiber, & gluc. Heated up a skillet with a little coconut oil. Spread abt half the "batter" in the pan, and cooked then flipped. Cooked till done. Well, I won't try that one again. It needed something. A little salt for one thing. Maybe a little grease? I think it needed another "flour" too besides the oat fiber, but I wasn't sure what to use. Personally I would probably have added a little Carbalose (or Kevin's flour mix), but I was trying to stay clear of the gluten for others sake here in my experimenting. Maybe a little flaxmeal or a little coconut flour? But definitely a little salt. It was very very bland. Rather than being slick or gooey inside, it was actually rather dry tasting. Not sure how it would have done had I not cooked it first, and added it to the broth. I was afraid it would have fallen apart or just disintegrated into the broth. ????

And maybe that does say something about the pancakes.... Maybe a little oat fiber when you get it in added. ??? I don't know.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 05-01-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #679
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
So glad you are not giving up on pancakes Marcea. I'm anxiously awaiting the recipe.

I'm not a creative cook so don't have much to add to this thread but check it twice a day, try most of the recipes, and sooo appreciate all the information you all so generously share. You have helped me tremendously. Heck I've almost used up a whole bag of gluc already and always have the cheese rolls in my refridge. Thank you all!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #680
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I don't use flax - my digestion can't do it - but the couple of times I tried it I thought it was slimy. We need something that dries out the dough maybe a bit of protein powder for those that can eat it?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #681
Major LCF Poster!

I made pancakes while I was at my daughters house but I did not write anything down I just sorta winged it. Sorry
They turned out really good, but I kept adding 1/2 and 1/2 and water cause they kept thickening while sitting.
I know I used 1 egg, some gluc, some oat fiber, salt, sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla, melted butter and 1/2 and 1/2 and water.

Maybe that will be somewhere to start.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Fourstubbs - I don't think I've met you yet - so Hello!!! Nice to meet you!!! And thanks for sharing.

Thank-you all for your input!!!! Looks like there is a general concensus that Flax seed contributes to the slimyness, as well as some of us don't deal well with it in general. Well fiddle!

Billie - I'm really sorry about the Sourdough rolls not working for you. Not sure what's going on there. I've made them 3 times now and haven't ended up with any problems. They are always done and never slimy. I almost like them better than the cheese bread for sandwiches. When I'm making them, I really beat the eggs very, very well before I add anything to the batter and I do limit the beating after I get the Gluc in it. I use a Large Bosch Mixer that is 800 Watts and would be able to handle 5 loaves of Wheat bread. It's a strong heavy duty mixer but I'm sure a regular standing mixer would work as well. The eggs get frothy fairly fast. When I've used an immersion blender - I have one that is also heavy duty and goes up to 1800 RPM's. I'm starting to think that the early mix of the eggs is crucial. In anycase, thanks for sharing about your egg and noodle trial. Every little bit we try out and share lends to the info about how to get this to work well !!!

As far as the bread goes Billie. My bread is always moist but it does get done. Sounds like you've already tried smaller pans. That was actually my next thought. I've been thinking of Splitting the bread dough into two smaller pans - Maybe 1 lb pans? Hmmmmm. I'm trying to figure out what would make this big of a difference. However, I'll be very excited when the Oat fiber shows up and I can try it out.

Shadowzip - thanks for sharing what you remember of your pancakes. That really helps!!!! Sounds like a good mix of ingredients and again - I'm thinking that the Oat Fiber may really make a difference with this.

Shunsweets - Nope - I haven't given up on the pancakes - I think Shadowzip had some really good suggestions, so I'm off on another tangent.

In terms of this group I too am tremendously grateful for all the input, suggestions and sharing that goes on here. It's good to be here!!!! Many, Many Hip Hooray's for Janie who started the thread, Billie who put together the Index and Dottie and Cherie who have helped implement it.

Cheers
marcea

Last edited by marcea; 05-02-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Marcea, I've been eating the rolls with my eggs for breakfast. (I didn't put in the garlic pwd, cause I knew I'd want to eat them this way, and would put jam or cinnamon/"sugar" on them. Didn't think garlic would go well with that. I split them, and toast them. They actually are pretty good that way, but again, I'm lazy, and 6 rolls (FOR ME) just isn't worth the trouble. NOT dissin the rolls!!! Tho I'm still not sure why they didn't cook well in the middle.
I have and used a KitchenAid (lift stand) mixer to mix them. I did whip the eggs quite a bit before adding anything to them. (May have beat too long after adding the Gluc!) And again, I didn't make them strictly by your recipe. So I may have added or left out something that just doesn't work well.
As far as trying smaller pans for the bread (loaf), no, I used the little pans (mini cake pans) for the rolls. I've only done the Coconut Gluc bread in a reg loaf pan. (Med large pan.) I might try my smaller 1 pound pans next time to see what happens. (using 2 of them for 1 batch,,,,, or maybe trying halving the batch in 1 pan)
Things going on the next month or so, and not sure when I'll get around to trying it again. I will try it again tho. (Just not the rolls. That's just me. Doubt I'll try the other rolls either, again cause I'm lazy. )

I'm not sure what will happen now with the index!!! I think the 2 pages are now full. And if they add another page under them, it's mess up the links!!! I've sent new ones to Cheri, and that may be the reason she hasn't added them! (She could just be really busy or sick. ?? ) But that just dawned on me about the pages being full & the links. So not surew what we'll do!

As for the pancakes, after the trying to make the noodles/dumplings that I did, I don't think that just oat fiber is gonna do it. I think it is gonna need another "flour" in there to make it taste right. Hmmm,,, but you did use some flax right? Still, I'm not sure if Gluc, flaxmeal, and oat fiber will be very tasty. It might "work", and cook up well, but not sure about the taste. Most of the things I think of, you can't use because of the gluten. But maybe a little coconut flour as well as the oat fiber. ??? Hmmm, not sure. But I also didn't put any salt in my "dumplings", and it did need a little. But they were still to dry textured/tasting. And again, maybe the addition of some fat (butter or coconut oil) & maybe cream or half&half would help. I didn't have either of those in my dumplings.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #684
Senior LCF Member

Guess we'll just keep on trying!!!

Thanks again for the info!!!

I've just been online doing some research on how Glucomannan interacts chemically with stuff. Ok - so this is way out of my league - Math/Chemistry are not anything I EVER do!!! However, I found out - or at least surmise that, Gluc acts differently with differently when dissolved in different liquids. Guess the food industry is doing quite a lot of experimentation themselves. Looks like gluc gels more in Alkaline solutions etc. Does a major interaction with Xanthum Gum. Also looks like it does well with Soy Protein Isolate (Which is something I can't use) however that may explain why the protein drinks in the recipe are useful. Hmmmmm. If there is a chemist amonst us ? - who can make some more sense of the info - I'll be glad to give you the links.

As far as the Index well - We'll just be happy with whatever can be done.
Guess we've all gone hog wild on cooking with the Gluc!!! Thanks sooooooo much for that!!!!

Cheers
Marcea
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
as to the pancakes--I make fab pancakes with 2 Tbs protein powder, 2 Tbs psyllium, davinci's vanilla syrup, 1/3 c eggbeaters, 1/4 tsp glu, 1/4 tsp baking powder and a little cinnamon. Let them sit for a few minutes to get thick before cooking. Really really good--
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #686
Major LCF Poster!

marcea happy coincidence here, my son is graduating with a Masters in Chemistry on Sunday. Give me the links and I will see if he will try to decipher some of the info. No promises but I will try.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #687
Senior LCF Member

Hi Ouizoid - I've really enjoyed reading your posts and recipe's! Always good info!!! Your pancakes sound really good and I appreciate hearing the ingredients. Unfortunately for me, a couple of the pancake ingredients (the Protein Powder and Syrup) are not ones I can't use. They either have MSG in them or are have ingredients that are a 50/50 % chance of being MSG. Frustrating - I'd go ahead and try them even though - but the stuff really makes me sick. Blast it!!! In anycase, from what I read the soy protein isolates (which are in the protein powder) work really well with the Gluc, unfortunatly they are also on the list of for sure MSG. Gesh!!!

Shadowzip - You must be so excited for your son!!!!! Congratulations to you both. Being the Mom of two guys - I know how excited I've been when they succeded and moved on with their lives. WOW!!!. For me it's been kinda like the culmination of my life's work. Meaning I worked hard to raise them with the appropriate life skills to live and love and enjoy their lives. Well - Bless you both and your family.!!!

Anyway, here are some of the links I found. I tried to get only the ones pertaining to Glucomannan as a food - but . . . I may have misunderstood something. (Have I said that Chemistry and I don't get along?) Most of these are actual PDF files and it looks like Glucomannan is being tested in many arena's - not just food. Whatever - I'm just thinking that someone who know this stuff might be able to give us some ideas about how Glucomannan would best be used. In one of the studies, it talked about combining 2 parts Gluc wih 1 part Xanthum gum - I didn't catch how much fluid. . . Anyway, I may experiment with that - but I gotta admit - really don't like the taste of Xanthum gum! Thanks again shadowzip!!!
Cheers
Marcea

:blush:
http://www.academicjournals.org/ajfs...%20et%20al.pdf

http://www.elsevierdirect.com/brochu...ers/000219.pdf

http://www.megazyme.com/downloads/en/data/K-GLUM.pdf

Thermo-irreversible edible gels of glucomannan and xanthan gums - US Patent 4894250 Description
Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #688
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marcea--I never use soy proteins because I am hypothyroid--I only use syntrax whey protein isolate--very pure. No need to use syrups--I use them as sweetner--almond milk or your choice of liquid would work great.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #689
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

one of my favorite condiments is mayo mixed with sesame oil and siracha. Something about that combo is simply amazing to me. I made a lovely little glu sauce today. I mixed the glu with sesame oil (no clumping!!!), added siracha, a drop of soy sauce, and a couple of Tbs of chicken broth. Next time I will skip the soy sauce, but otherwise YUM. Not quite the mayo taste--which I miss--maybe next time, I will mix in a tsp of mayo and see how that is.

ETA: I did this again using a tsp of mayo, a tsp of sesame oil, a tsp of siracha--mixed in the glu--then added about 3 Tbs water--needed a little salt, but otherwise a great mock siracha mayonnaise!

Last edited by ouizoid; 05-03-2011 at 07:57 AM..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Ouizoid. That siracha sauce sounds wonderful !!!! Gonna have to check it out. Husband loves hot sauce and keeps talking about the Thai Hot Sauce. Great Idea!!!!

As far my as using a Whey Protein drink - That unfortunately doesn't work either because Whey protein (also isolate or concentrate) is also on the definite MSG part of the list. If you're interested - here is a link.
to the MSG list. Hidden Sources of MSG
And this is a link to the Contents Page of the website:
Table of Contents

Gotta say - it's a royal pain to have to watch out for it. It's in practically everything - even in some toothpastes!!!! However, I'm deathly allergic to the stuff so that's the way it is. Such is life.

Cheers
Marcea