Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #631
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Correction!!!!

OH MY, Thanks Ouizoid! Yes it also had an egg!!! And I'm a page behind now!!! Can't go back & edit it!

Here is the recipe again, with the correction!

I started out with CarolynF's Flourless 3 Minute Cake. (I realize the whole idea of her cake was to not use any other flours. Just use egg & cocoa, but I wanted a little more fiber.
I used:

1 TBsp coconut oil melted
2 TBsp Erythritol/Xylitol blend (1/2 & 1/2)
1 pkt Sweet One
1 pkt Sweet Leaf Stevia Plus
1 egg
2 TBsp cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Glucomannan (I had 1/4 tsp, but I'm using 1/2 tsp now)
1/2 TBsp oat fiber
vanilla (probably 1 tsp, didn't measure)
cream (again didn't measure, about 1 TBsp)

Mix well. Bake in microwave 1 minute.

Actually this is a little like Ouzoid's superlow carb/calorie chocolate OMM too. Kinda a tweak of the 2.

You can use whatever sweetener you like. It is approximately a 3 TBsp to 1/4 cup equivalent.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #632
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Hi Billie!!! I cooked up your "cake" and really enjoyed it!!!! I didn't do all your wonderful trappings with the Glaze - (I haven't quite figured out how to do that in a way I can eat it) I just cut the cake in half and layered it with whip cream and fresh strawberries. It looked yummy and it was Yummy. Very, Very Good! Thanks!!!!
Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #633
Major LCF Poster!

Glad you enjoyed it Marcea!!! That sounds good too!!! I've eaten Carolyn's version many times just by itself. I'm really liking it with the oat fiber & the Gluc!!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Ummmmmm Just curious.

Does anyone know how I became a "Senior LCF Member" When I've only been here for a month or so? Just curious about the rating system and what it means.

Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Glucomannan Sourdough Rolls

Ooooops - someone just joggled my memory banks enough for me to realize I hadn't checked the calorie carb for yeast on these. When I checked I found that yeast is 2 carbs and 10 Calories per tsp. So I have changed the nutrition numbers to reflect that. Sorry about that. I'm thinking that the net time I make this, I'm going to decrease the Yeast a bit and see how it turns out. Numbers aren't terrible - just would be nice to decrease them as much as possible.
Cheers
Marcea

Yeast Starter
1/2 c Warm water
3 tbsp Powdered Dried Yeast
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp xylitol
Dough
4 lg Eggs
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 tsp Garlic Salt
7 tsp Glucomannan
1/4 c flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)

Instructions:
Yeast Starter" About an hour or so ahead of time mix the starter up and let it rise in a warm place.

Then when your ready to do the rolls:

Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add Coconut Oil, and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
Add the Yeast Starter and the Flax Seed.

At that point the batter is thick enough to spoon easily onto a cookie sheet. It isn't quite as "sticky" as the cheese bread and will spread easily into a 3.5 - 4 inch diameter.

I got 6 rolls out of it.

Total Calories 760 (Which ='s 126 Calories per roll.
Total Carbs 71,3
Total Fiber 43.3

Total Carbs 71.3 - Total Fiber 43.3 = 28 Which equals out to 4.6 carbs per roll.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #636
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post
Does anyone know how I became a "Senior LCF Member" When I've only been here for a month or so? Just curious about the rating system and what it means.

Cheers
Marcea
Quote:
Ooooops - someone just joggled my memory banks enough for me to realize I hadn't checked the calorie carb for yeast on these. When I checked I found that yeast is 2 carbs and 10 Calories per tsp. So I have changed the nutrition numbers to reflect that. Sorry about that. I'm thinking that the net time I make this, I'm going to decrease the Yeast a bit and see how it turns out. Numbers aren't terrible - just would be nice to decrease them as much as possible.
Cheers
Marcea

Yeast Starter
1/2 c Warm water
3 tbsp Powdered Dried Yeast
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp xylitol
Dough
4 lg Eggs
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 tsp Garlic Salt
7 tsp Glucomannan
1/4 c flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)

Instructions:
Yeast Starter" About an hour or so ahead of time mix the starter up and let it rise in a warm place.

Then when your ready to do the rolls:

Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add Coconut Oil, and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
Add the Yeast Starter and the Flax Seed.

At that point the batter is thick enough to spoon easily onto a cookie sheet. It isn't quite as "sticky" as the cheese bread and will spread easily into a 3.5 - 4 inch diameter.

I got 6 rolls out of it.

Total Calories 760 (Which ='s 126 Calories per roll.
Total Carbs 71,3
Total Fiber 43.3

Total Carbs 71.3 - Total Fiber 43.3 = 28 Which equals out to 4.6 carbs per roll.
marcea, I don't know how they decide what to put under your avatar (when there is one) "Senior LCF Member", etc. I'm thinking it must be kind of a random "title", but it stays pretty consistent. And there may very well be something that they use to decide the "title". I do know that you have to post a certain number of times before you can send or receive personal messages. Maybe the Junior members are the ones who have posted beyond that.??? You have exceeded that, and I'm not sure if there is anything between Junior LCF Poster and Senior LCF Poster! My "title" or designation is Major LCF Poster.

On the rolls, you said the first time you posted them that you thought you'd let the rolls sit a little while before baking, and see if they rose better. Did you try this? Also, I think it was mentioned that you/we might possibly get a better sour dough taste by letting the yeast mixture sit longer. Did you try that? If you tried either or both, what was your results. I think I'd like to try these, but wondering about that. Boy that is a lot of Gluc tho for a few rolls! Having a hard time justifying that much Gluc to myself. Maybe I'm just cheap.
Oh yeah, and you talked about lowering the amount of yeast next time. Did you try that? I see it is still listed the same here as in the first recipe/post.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-25-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #637
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info Billie - I was just curious about it.

In terms of the rolls, I did let them sit before I cooked them - they didn't raise any more than they did the first time. However, they are really a good size that you can cut in half easily or stick in the toaster as it. Not only that, you can make a larger diameter if you want and still have it turn out.

In terms of decreasing the yeast - I kinda thought that since it doesn't seem to raise it -the only reason for the yeast is to make it "taste" a little more like sour dough. Sooooooo - I think the next time I make it I'll make the starter the day before and let it sit out for an hour and then stick it in the fridge oer night. The sour dough taste comes from the aged yeast - maybe that would add to it.

Yes, I understand what you're saying about alot of Gluc. However, I kinda figure for making bread I use about 2 tsp gluc to equal 1 C of flour. So when I'm figuring out how much gluc to use - that is the equivalent I aim for. When you consider that there are 100 servings per Gluc bag that costs $19.00. That makes it .19 cents per tsp so $1.33 for this recipe. I'm not sure - but I think that pretty comparable or maybe a little less money that 7 cups of flour.

I haven't tried lowering the amount of yeast yet - That's probably my next trial. I'm thinking that if I made a real good starter - maybe even with the rice flour they suggest - I would only have to use a small amount to flavor it. I'll probably try that next time - but really - they taste pretty good the way they are - at least they do for me. I had one this evening fresh out of the toaster with butter on it. Sure did satisfy my sourdough taste buds!!!
Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #638
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I don't know if I was really much help on the "title" (or whatever it would be called), but you are welcome.

Thank you for your info on the rolls. You are probably right about the cost. It may actually be cheaper than some of the low carb flours. It is just hard for me to get it in my head. I do wanna try the sour dough rolls soon. I haven't tried the other rolls either, but trying to decide what would best replace the parm cheese. I can't stand that stuff! I'm afraid the texture, and maybe fat content of most other cheeses, might not work as well in that recipe. In some recipes, I just sub other cheeses (according to what I have) for the parm. Some of my family like that stuff, but I myself can't understand how anyone could eat it. My son-in-law LOVES the stuff. UGH!
Maybe later on this week, I'll give the sour dough one a try.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #639
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:

Cheers
Marcea
Don't know the system used, but now that you are over 60 posts, you have access to another forum, the playground. Look for it in the lists of forums and pop in there to see what goes on. Certainly not LC but you can talk about anything and people do! It is a fun place
Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #640
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks to Soobee and to Maria's Nutritionals

Angel Food Cake--I used it for strawberry shortcake
1 cup Jay Robb vanilla egg white protein (Soobe uses whey protein)
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
2 tsp glucomannon powder (I would try 1 tsp next time)
1/8 tsp salt
1tsp cream of tartar
6 large eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp princess cake flavoring
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
7 tbsp Erytritol and 1 pkg stevia and a few drops of neotame mix

Preheat oven to 300°F-150°C. Spray a Bundt pan with olive oil spray very well. Sift protein powder, baking powder, glu powder and salt and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. In another bowl, beat egg yolks, sweetener, and vanilla. Beat in almond milk, and then beat in dry ingredients.

Fold into whites very carefully, and then spoon into a prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 45 minutes, then let cool 10 minutes before inverting and removing (this is the tricky part, just do your best).

72 calories 7.5 g protein. . For 12 servings very low fat

I actually got 16 servings--so even lower cal.

Hope you like this one
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #641
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I also would try the cake in a tube pan--the points of my specific bundt made the cake dryer (more done?) but maybe it's the type with kind of Christmas tree points--will have to try another pan.

Have a great day, all!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Hi Billie - just wanted to let you know that I use pretty much every kind of cheese in those rolls - you don't have to use just the Parmesan. The latest version of rolls I currently have in my fridge I used FETA cheese and the last time, I used grated cheddar and jack. It's true that the lighter the cheese, the lighter the bread - but you don't have to use the Parmesan. I haven't tried it yet - but I'm thinking you could maybe replace the cheese with you Flax seed. Or perhaps a mix of flax seed, oat bran, etc. That's actually on my list to try this week.

Nelle Belle. Thanks for the info about "The playground". Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Hi Janie. Cake sure looks yummy!!!! I'm going to give that one a try.

cheers
marcea
Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #643
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
marcea what is the texture of your sourdough rolls inside. Mine came out very wet, like french toast. Wondering if I should add more gluc or something else. Maybe I'll stick to the cheese rolls they came out very good for me.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Shadowzip - the texture for me was dry and very breadlike. Like a regular roll. I've made them twice now, and got the same texture. Hmmmmmmm not sure what happened??????? Questions I might have are: 1) was the mix beaten long enough? (was the dough at least as thick as pudding and you saw waves in it? 2) Were the eggs larger than mine were? (Mind were just large) If so, perhaps a little more Glucomannan would be appropriate. 3)Were the rolls in the oven long enough? (I'm finding that ovens sometimes differ.) 4)Was the oven hot enough? My rolls always brown up - did yours? When I went to look at the recipie - I didn't see where I'd put the temperature hmmmmmm - I usually cook these at 350 degrees. However, Just by happenstance the other day, I put a pan of rolls on the bottom shelf of the oven - they cooked very fast and almost burned before I got them out - however I noticed that the texture was extra good and the rolls didn't fall at all. So now I'm wondering if a higher heat would be appropriate. Hmmmmmm. Maybe 375 or 400???????????????????? I'll have to check it out.

Thanks soooooooo much for the feedback Shadowzip!!!!!! I really appreciate it and please let me know if any of the questions I asked might be pertinent. Thank again

Cheers
marcea
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #645
Senior LCF Member

Just reread what I wrote and thought I'd better clarify. The bread texture wasn't crusty "dry" - it was the "right" type of soft and dry. Essentially what you'd expect for the texture of bread.
Cheers
marcea
Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #646
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning Glu lovers (and haters and inbetweeners)

I need to make Marcea's bread this afternoon.

I'm having trouble with wanting the carbier foods, so I need to surround myself with good stuff.

I tried something (banana in my protein shake) and it seems to have set off the cravings. I find myself reaching for the stuff that should be saved for special times (nuts, nut butters, and stuff like that which I do eat, but should not be overeaten.)

Hope to pull out of this soon!

Janie
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #647
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Hey marcea, I just wanted to mention I put your glucc/parm roll recipe on my blog, and linked it back here of course, giving you credit. I hope that's ok. My blog really is for my personal reference on recipes, I tend to lose them Lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #648
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Ooooh magnamater angel food cake. Gonna try this on my next day off. Guess I'll use my tube pan as that's the only one I have LOL.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #649
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

shunsweets, I think the angel food cake is really an adaptation of the oopsie rolls cleochatra started working with, using the protein powder and (now of course the glu powder) to stabilize the stuff.

No cream cheese though.

I like the cake--thinking of making it in a sheet or a jelly roll pan and using for "french toast."
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Hi MsWoods. That's fine!!!! I'm glad you are enjoying the rolls!!!

Ever since I started playing with the Gluc, I've thought that it would be a perfect ingredient for making breads. Breads and pastries were pretty much my forte (I made lots of them) until six years ago when I was diagnosed with Celiac. Gotta say, finding a way to have "bread" minus the Gluten and carbs has become a high priority for me. Fortunately I think Gludomannan is the answer. You can use it for so many things and you can actually trick it into behaving very much like bread. What a blessing!!!

Even in my secret thoughts, I keep thinking "someone" needs to write up a book about cooking with it, or at least cooking breads with it. Hmmmmmmm, I also keep thinking that maybe I should get my act together and step up to the plate. Still mulling that thought around, but in the meantime, I certainly don't mind the Glucomannan Cheese Rolls recipe being shown around - at least as long as it has my name attached. I can always do something then if and when the thoughts finally materialize.

Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #651
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marcea,

Most of the recipes we send around here are tweaks from something else (at least my recipes are.)

Your bread is truly original. Congrats!

Thanks again!
Janie
Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #652
Big Yapper!!!!

Has anyone thought about, or tried, thinning out marcea's batter to make a tortilla? I wonder how that would work.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #653
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the Congrats Janie!!! I really appreciate it the kudos.

The Glucomannan is really more versatile than any of us know - We've just got to "tweak" it.

MsWoods, I kinda did something similar to that last week. It is in post # 637 and was in a response to Janie. We were talking about making the actual Crepes out of Eggs and Gluc. I've thought about that little experiment since and wondered about trying it again on a "very hot griddle" and perhaps adding a little grated cheese into the mix. (Cheese might make it more durable) Anyway - here is what I did that time.

OK - So I got tired of supposing I just tried making the Crepes out of Eggs and Gluc and this is what I did.
1 large egg
added water to make 1/2 C total liquid.
Beat the Egg and water
slowly added 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon Gluc while beating the egg and water

The mixture got very frothy. I then cooked the crepe the regular way. It is definitely do-able, however, the crepes are very fluffy and harder to handle. When it's time to turn them, they don't turn as easily. They taste pretty good and perhaps, once you get the technique down, you'd be able to do it and stretch one egg into 4 crepes. It actually would probably make nice Fluffy Scrambled Eggs. Very Very Interesting.

Cheers
Marcea

Last edited by marcea; 04-27-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #654
Big Yapper!!!!

I think I will play around with it and see if it will work.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #655
Senior LCF Member

MsWoods - Go for it.!!!!!! I'll be happy to hear what you come up with.

Cheers
Marca
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #656
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I tried something this morning that I won't repeat. I was making scrambled eggs, and decided to add a little Gluc. I had added cream, and I added about 1 TBsp water, and sifted in a little less than 1/4 tsp Gluc. One of the usually perks of using Gluc pwd, is that it doesn't usually give a slick or slimy texture to foods it's added to. Not so here. The scrambled eggs did have a slightly slimy texture. UGH!!! I hoped DH wouldn't notice (tho I didn't see how he wouldn't), but he did! He commented on the slick or slimy texture, but ate them. I'll not be adding it to my scrambled eggs again!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #657
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Billie, it's always good to post our failures (for us) so we can all profit from our mistakes.

Thanks for sharing.

There is a recipe online for tortillas, today, I'll look again and see if it could benefit from glu.

It's one of the blogs I follow, either "All Day I Dream about Food" or Maria's nutritional consulting, or something along those lines.

I'll BBL.
Janie
Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #658
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, here is the proportions from Maria's Nutritional site

1 part almond meal
1 part protein powder
1 part parmesan cheese

She uses water to "stick" the dough together, with salt and optional spices.

This is for crispy taco shells.

Sounds interesting.

I think glu might be a good addition.

Please note: I believe this is gluten free!!!!!

HTH for those not cooking for a banquet like I am. . .I'll be wiped out from making lasagna (not lc) (not gluten free), salad, and cake for the masses!!

That'll be my cooking for a while. LOL.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #659
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

maybe for tweaking with more glucomannon, make it gluten free

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ry-danish.html

Just thought you tweakers might figure out how to make this gluten free. . .for those who live gluten free.

It already has glu, but maybe there could be some 'xspiramenting left to do.

Janie
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #660
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Shadowzip 1) was the mix beaten long enough? (was the dough at least as thick as pudding and you saw waves in it?
Yes the batter was thick
2) Were the eggs larger than mine were? (Mind were just large) If so, perhaps a little more Glucomannan would be appropriate.
Eggs might have been x-large

3)Were the rolls in the oven long enough? (I'm finding that ovens sometimes differ.)
i am at my daughters house for the week, not sure how her oven runs.
4)Was the oven hot enough? My rolls always brown up - did yours?
Not really very brown but I did bake at 375

I see a couple of possible discrepancies so maybe I will just wait until I get home and try them again. Meanwhile your Cheese bread is getting me through the week.

Thanks soooooooo much for the feedback Shadowzip!!!!!!

Thank you so much for the answers