Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #511
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Nelle Belle, I just placed my netrition order Monday. . .but there is always an order for me from Netrition.

So glad to have the convenience, price, and low shipping from netrition!!

Friends here aren't bad either. . .lol.
And shipping is reasonable, or rather shipping is cheap!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Wow I'm so glad this thread is so active. The glucomann is helping me stabilize my blood sugar so I really appreciate the recipes and tips!

Marcea you've almost convinced me to try pudding again after my last disaster. Your choc chiffon pudding sounds so great. I'm just scared I'll be throwing out another quart of choc glop. LOL

Billie the hot cereal sounds great too - going to print it out for when we have one of those cold damp mornings.

Wow Netrition is going to carry glucomann! I just stocked up but I know where I'll be buying it from now on. Thanks Netrition! And thanks for the sticky too. Maybe all we need for an index is the thread number for each recipe so we can find them?

I, too, am so happy to have such a friendly group to experiment with. Thanks guys!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Ahhhhh Billie - Thanks for the "official" welcome. Truth is, we've been bantering back and forth so much - I really have already felt welcomed. but thanks for the officia onel. As I said - I feel very blessed to be here.

In terms of the index - I can maybe help out next week - I just wasn't sure of the actual process. I think your idea of "possibly make(ing) a new thread with it, and ask (ing) people that it just be an index to here (or other places where Gluc recipes are), and keep comments on these threads" Sounds good - but I don't know the actual mechanisms enough to know how it works.

Thanks for the link to KevinPa's recipie's - I'm on my way to check them out.

Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #514
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does the pudding made with coconut milk in carton have the same ...?mouth feel, creaminess as pudding with some heavy cream? Looking to cut back on HC.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
Does the pudding made with coconut milk in carton have the same ...?mouth feel, creaminess as pudding with some heavy cream? Looking to cut back on HC.
I haven't tried coconut milk, but I did try some yesterday with just 1/2c of unsweetened almond milk, 1tbls cocoa powder, 1tsp gluc and 1c. water. Someone else had posted a smiliar concoction, but I can't remember who. And I think they used 1 tbls of Gluc - which I just totally spaced and did 1tsp.

I think it had my favorite texture so far. I added 1.5 stevia packets and I think it could use a little more and maybe a little more cocoa powder to boost the chocolate flavor. BUT...for 30 calories, I was very happy.

First goal of 124 made 04/14/11
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #516
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
here's a recipe I think is delicious if you can find hood milk.

1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I use jay robb)
1 packet of crystal light on the go lemon drink mix
1 teaspoon glucomannan
1 cup hood milk

put all dry ingredients in bowl and mix together, quickly stir in 1 cup of milk. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and if it's not thick enough microwave an additional minute and stir again. I like mine thick so I always do the 2 minutes.

Mixing the gluc with dry ingredients keep it from clumping up.This pudding is very creamy and lemony. I like to top it with a little whip cream, a few pecans and a strawberry or 2. I'm sure if you can't buy hood milk you could substitute something else you like.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #517
Senior LCF Member

Shunsweets - it's really nice to know you too!!!! Like Janie said - this is a great place to hang out.

I know that most people would shy away from the Silky Almond Milk although 1 C is only 8 Carbs and 60 Calories. However, my guess is that it would work for the unsugared ones as well - in fact I think that Billie did that, maybe ms woods and mrsitaly too. Of course another option might be (If your not worried so much about Calories) Add - Cream Cheese to the Whip cream along with the glucomannan and appropriate Sweetening and chocolate. It's not quite pudding, but somewhere between pudding and cheese cake. I've done that - ummmmmmm I just don't remember what I did with the recipie Gesh - I guess I shouldn't admit that. :blush:

Cheers
marcea
Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #518
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
here's a recipe I think is delicious if you can find hood milk.

1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I use jay robb)
1 packet of crystal light on the go lemon drink mix
1 teaspoon glucomannan
1 cup hood milk

put all dry ingredients in bowl and mix together, quickly stir in 1 cup of milk. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and if it's not thick enough microwave an additional minute and stir again. I like mine thick so I always do the 2 minutes.

Mixing the gluc with dry ingredients keep it from clumping up.This pudding is very creamy and lemony. I like to top it with a little whip cream, a few pecans and a strawberry or 2. I'm sure if you can't buy hood milk you could substitute something else you like.
There is a sticky on how to make this milk from more common ingredients. It is good.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #519
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Great news about Netrition carrying Gluc!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #520
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Yay!!!! Gluc pwd at Netrition!!!!

shunsweets, just try a smaller amount next time to be sure you like it. Everyone's tastes are different.

Nellie Belle, the pudding with the almond milk or coconut milk is not quite as creamy, but it is creamy. I sometimes add just a little cream to it, to help it be a little creamier, but I don't always.

Oh Marcea, that cream cheese & cream w/Gluc sounds good!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

There has been an index added to the first post in this thread.

If you have other items (even from other threads) that need to be added to the index, send them to cheri and she will add them to the first post since it is past the time for anyone else to edit. She can do it for us. Just tell her what thread it is on, and what the post number is.
In case you don't know, just click on the blue number (or blue titles) in the index to go to the post.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank You!

Pooticus - how is the Gluc working with JUDDD?

Last edited by Nelle Belle; 04-08-2011 at 04:29 AM..
Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #523
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Oh Billie thankyou so much for the index. What a help! Now if we can just keep it as an index so we can find the recipes. Wonderful. Thanks again.

I have gluc cheese bread cinnamon rolls in the oven. Hmmm smell wonderful.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Wow Billie, Great job. Thanks so much for doing all that.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #525
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Billie, you are da bomb for making the index. . .so sweet of you.

A million thanks.

And let's keep this going.

The glu for thickening, glu for blood sugar, glu for staying full, glu for fiber. . .hey, glu for baked goods texture, . . .

It's a miracle food.

And soon to be available at netrition.com!!

I'm sold.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #526
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am still interested on how useful it is for weight loss. Anybody? It sounds like it will make more satisfying lower carb/lower cal items which should positively affect wt loss. Hope i am right.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #527
Senior LCF Member

Geees - I didn't think I could get more impressed!!!!!!

Gluc on Netrition, Sticky thread and NOW an INDEX!!!!!

Billie - thank you, thank-you, thank-you soooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!! Now We've got a place to find those Gluc Recipies.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm - I wonder if a "sticky" and an "index" would help me here in my house. LOL

And Billie once I get some more whipcream in the house - I'll see see if I can resurrect the whip cream and cream cheese concoction. It was good and I'll make it more when it gets a little warmer around here.

Cheers
Marcea
Old 04-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #528
Senior LCF Member

I made the Glucomannan and Coconut Pound Cake Yesterday. This is the recipe I used.

Ingredients:
9 eggs
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 c coconut flour
1/2 c Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
1 Tbsp Baking powder
4 tsp Glucomannan
1/2 c Cream Cheese
1/2 c Cottage Cheese/Ricotta Cheese
1 Tbsp Vanilla (I sometimes get carried away with the vanilla)
1 tsp Baking Soda
3 tbsp Lemon Juice
Equivalent to 2 C of sugar (I used Billies Sugar Substitute)

Texture turned out very good, however - it still wasn't sweet enough - at least for my tastebuds. I'm starting to think maybe straight Stevia might override the Gluc effects. I added the Baking Soda because somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I remembered that when you add Baking Soda to Lemon Juice you get kind of a rising effect. The bread did rise very well but I'm not sure if it did any better this time to the last. (Should have made notes or measured it )

I didn't have any Ricotta Cheese (Thanks Shunsweets for that idea) so I used what I make for Crepe Filling. It's essentially Cottage Cheese, Cream Cheese, Coconut Milk, Vanilla and Sweetening. Anyway - I used a Cup of that to replace the 1/2 C Cream Cheese and 1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese.

I baked it differently this time. I started the oven at 350 degrees, but about 30-35 minutes into it I decreased the temp to 325. (The bread was already starting to get brown on the outside and I thought the innerds needed to cook longer) Then I kept it in the oven for a total of 65 minutes. It could probably have stayed in longer - but it was done in the center and when I tapped it on the top I heard that sound you hear when bread is done.

Interesting thing is that it actually tasted pretty close to sweet enough today. Hmmmm go figure. In anycase, I'll have to play with this one somemore but I thought I'd put it out there to see what you guys think.
Cheers
Marcea

Last edited by marcea; 04-08-2011 at 11:23 AM..
Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #529
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
Well, trying to make the noodles with egg, using the recipe and adding the egg with the water doesn't work. It just came out like very finely scrambled eggs. I guess I should have known that if I stir it and cook it it would turn out like this.

btw - the pickling lime has no fishy smell alone, nor does the gluc. but when I added them togther, i smelled it.

I could make something out of this. Hot cereal (i usually make every morning with egg/ricotta, sometimes flax) I can probably just add some calorie countdown milk, and cinnamon and splenda, berries, maybe flax. Or, it looks kinda like mashed potatoes. I sometimes add egg and cream cheese to cauli-mash to make the texture more fluffy like this. Maybe some cheese. any suggestion? I rinsed it in a strainer to get the pickling lime smell out. It has a slight egg taste, but the texture is kinda pastina, if you know what that is, pasta or like very sticky rice.

I didn't make noodles, but I made something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egg.jpg (24.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #530
Major LCF Poster!

You are all most welcome!!! It needed to be done, so somebody had ta do it.

They moved the index from the new thread to the first page of this thread!!! That is great, but I'm not sure how we'll add more unless we send the new ones to one of the mods and they stick it in there. I'll see what I can find out about that, or maybe one will see this and answer. I know there are others already out there on other threads, and we have a couple more to add here now.

Marcea, how much of which of my sweetener combos did you use?

roro, what does your experiment taste like? Sounds interesting to say the least!

I've been wondering if we (who can use the Carbalose, can use Kevin's flour mix to make dumplings & add gluc pwd to it to help it hold together. I've almost made dumplings a time or two using the mix, but they were very fragile & fell apart pretty quickly. Made a good broth! Different ones of us are used to and like different types of dumplings. I like the kind that are cooked in the broth, not on top of the meat & steamed. Others like the fluffy ones that are cooked on top.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-08-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Hi there roro

Do you think the pastina/sticky rice might work for chinese fried rice? You know, add the soy sauce, green onion and whatever and fry them up together. Or maybe even Spanish fried rice - pretty much the same thing - just different sauce and seasonings maybe even some chilies with some cheese on top. Hmmmmm - looks like something versatile to do a lot of things with. Good job.

Cheers
marcea
Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #532
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Thank you so much. I see so much interest!

Thanks again!
Wonderful to know! TY! I just got my order from them this morning
Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #533
Senior LCF Member

Billie - I used the one you actually sent with the Chocolate Bark. It looked pretty close to the same recipe as #1 in your list. Anyway, I had a little of that left over, so I just made more of it. However, I have to confess - I didn't have any "Sweet One" so I essentially replaced the sweet one with the equivalent Stevia. I did grind the mix up. But I'm thinking in retrospect that I should have made sure that it was "dissolved" before I added it to the bread. Like maybe dissolved it in the coconut oil first so the sweetness can seep throughout the whole dough.

In terms of using your Carbolos - I'm sure you could. If I could eat wheat - I would be playing with that one big time!!!! Just for a point of reference, when I've been playing with flours (not wheat mind you) I found that I could replace 1 - 2 C's of light flours (Tapiocca - Rice - etc) with about 4 - 6 tsp Gluc. But you do need the eggs to carry that off. I haven't played too much with "mixing Flours" with gluc except with the coconut flour.

Cheers
marcea
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #534
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Billie!! Omg! Look what you've done! Thank you! I looked at the first page and my aren't we all prolific glu-xperts?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #535
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
OMG, I've been gone for over a year and when I come back I see that you have all "jumped the shark!" A six page GLUC thread? Whoever would have thought?
Serves you right, missy! That's what you get for running off and leaving us!

Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post
Billie - I used the one you actually sent with the Chocolate Bark. It looked pretty close to the same recipe as #1 in your list. Anyway, I had a little of that left over, so I just made more of it. However, I have to confess - I didn't have any "Sweet One" so I essentially replaced the sweet one with the equivalent Stevia. I did grind the mix up. But I'm thinking in retrospect that I should have made sure that it was "dissolved" before I added it to the bread. Like maybe dissolved it in the coconut oil first so the sweetness can seep throughout the whole dough.

In terms of using your Carbolos - I'm sure you could. If I could eat wheat - I would be playing with that one big time!!!! Just for a point of reference, when I've been playing with flours (not wheat mind you) I found that I could replace 1 - 2 C's of light flours (Tapiocca - Rice - etc) with about 4 - 6 tsp Gluc. But you do need the eggs to carry that off. I haven't played too much with "mixing Flours" with gluc except with the coconut flour.

Cheers
marcea
OK. So how much did it measure out? I am still not even sure what the equivalency is.

Maybe someday I'll decide to try the dumplings. roro's experiment might even make a fair dumpling. ???

Glad I could help with the index! A huge thanks also to Dottie and Cheri for their help!!!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #537
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I am very fiber intolerant. Cannot use oat fiber or flax at all. That eliminates a lot of recipes. I would love to try to glu but am afraid it will cause a lot of distress. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? I use xanthan in small amounts without difficulty but I don't think it's a fiber is it? Guar in small amounts doesn't bother me.

One more question...those of you trying to lose weight, since lots of high calorie ingredients needs to be used, have you been able to lose weight?
(I gained weight on low carb eating too many calories)

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #538
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
I am still interested on how useful it is for weight loss. Anybody? It sounds like it will make more satisfying lower carb/lower cal items which should positively affect wt loss. Hope i am right.
Anyone?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #539
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I think most of us have found using glu allows us to eat fewer calories and carbs--so yes, helpful for weight loss.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

It is really hard to answer these questions, as everyone is so very different. What one has bad issues with, another has no problems at all! I think there have been people who stated in this thread that they had issues with stomach problems with it. Some had problems at first, but by slowly adding it, has been able to use it. Sorry, but each person is just different. Same for weight loss. It has been helping some to lose. Some of us however still haven't seen that benefit. (me for one, but I'm still hoping!!!!)
Sure wish I could give a more helpful answer to the questions, but I can't.

Personally I haven't lost from using it (at least yet), but I haven't gained either! It should help with weight loss. I think my body just wants to stay at the weight I am now. I seem to be in maintenance, even tho I am not ready to be there. Maybe I do now eat too many calories, but I never could count calories. That was one of the appeals to me about low carbing. Carbs are much easier for me to count. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around calorie counting!