Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #481
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Our late great Kevinpa (who unfortunately passed away not so long ago) knew how to do the index thingy, and how to edit it to add to it.

Anyone out there 'puter literate enough to do this?

And administrators, can this be a sticky?

Marcea, you have added so much, glad you've found a place to hang out. I've found that there are lots of little places you can find that have things that interest you. LCF is addictive!

And the people here are great!

Janie

p.s. Has anyone made the angel food cake plus gluc. powder? from Maria's blog? Soobee recommended it. I need to try that!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I've been away from the computer all day, come in & find several posts to try to remember what to comment on. Could have done quotes, but didn't really want to do that either. So if I was asked a question, and I don't answer here, please ask again. I think tho, I just mostly wanted to comment on a few things.
Marcea, glad I could give you a giggle!!! I too have a recipe program, but I tend to not get in there & put things in it as often as I should. I even do a lot of my recipes in document programs (hate to say word programs, cause people then might think I meant MS Word (which I detest). I do use Word Pad a lot anymore for simple quick recipes. Mostly either use Word Perfect, or (and/or) my Master Cook program. I actually did go back & copy what I typed up & posted for you on the sweeteners! Even got it printed off!!!
I do have a small jar of the gel in the fridge, but like you said Janie, I get it lost, and/or I forget to use it the few times that just a little of it might be good. Come to think of it, I've been putting just a little pit (about 1/8 tsp) pwd in my cocoa. sometimes I don't get it blended in well. Bet the gel would be good for that, but I keep forgetting. I do have a "whizzer" that I use in my cocoa, but sometimes I dump the pwd too quick, or don't get stated blending soon enough, and I get lumps. I don't really mind them too much, cause the tend to kinda be chocolate lumps , but still, would rather them be blended in my cocoa, and make it a little thicker. I don't want it really thick, but just a little thicker is nice.
In general, sometimes my whisking is adequate, and sometimes I get lumps! Even with the sprinkling it in slowly.
And back to those recipes I didn't get typed up (or copied) & printed off.... I made the coconut gluc bread again yesterday. Well, I looked for my recipe that I thought I had, and couldn't find it. So I came to the computer & looked it up (that was after starting the bread, and realizing I was using the wrong recipe). Went back to the kitchen found my scribbled note from before, and proceeded to make the bread. After I had it in the oven, or maybe even after I took it out, I went to my Master Cook program to put it in, and there it was...... With my tweaks!!! I had forgotten to make my tweaks, which by the way I've decided I like. Thought that bread was never gonna get done. And still have no idea how to really know when it is done. I did the toothpick test, but that dosen't really seem to work well with this recipe (at least for me). This is really greasy. Course the fact that as I said, I had started the wrong recipe, and had added 1 TBsp oil to the liquids already, then had to guestimate how much coconut oil to put in might be part of it. But I actually thought I leaned to the side of maybe less rather than more. I just think maybe I'll cut back a little next time. The other was a little greasy too, tho this one is definitely worse. Also tho, this time the tweak that I did do, was to add a little chia gel. About 1, maybe 2 Tbsps. Funny looking bread I must admit. This batch was a little thinner batter tho, spread better in the pan, & didn't crack. I had something in the pan I used before, so used a different one. This one is wider, but shorter. Oh, & I did add 1/2 tsp more baking pwd to see if I could get a better rise. Nope! Wonder about 1 1/2 TBsp? What do you think?

So sorry to hear about your house Marcea!!!

mrsitaly, sometimes something like that will really fill me up, other times it doesn't fill me or satiate me at all. So I understand what you're saying there. I've mixed up some of the Gluc pudding before, and only eat half, and seemed fully for a LONG time. Another time (same ingredients), I could eat the whole thing, and still be looking for something else, cause I just am not full, and am still hungry.

Janie, the administrators would "open the thread up" (don't really know the terms to use here) for Kevin, or would do that for him. No special program will allow you to do the indexing he did without their "allowing" it. They, as you said, are the ones who have to make it a sticky, and would have to do an index. Not sure whether they would do it for us or not. But maybe!!! Sure would be nice!!!

I vote for a sticky for this thread at least too!!!!

I think there is a place on the thread somewhere (below it maybe) that you can click on and ask the Mods or admins to make it a sticky. I'll see if I can find it can see. (You can look too, then maybe they'll be more likely too if they know more than one of us would like it done.)

Yes Marcea, I would like to thank you too for what you have added to this thread!!

Janie, I haven't tried the angel food cake. I've never been an angel food cake fan, so not likely to try. And I'd like to thank you too, for starting the thread!!!! Oh, and I love seeing your pic, and seeing what you look like. Love being able to put a face to a name. And quite a pretty face too by the way!

Well, guess I've written a book here, so I'll get it posted. I think you are beginning to see why my name is crazywoman!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-05-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #483
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can this be a sticky? And can the first post be edited to give links to recipes, a table of contents?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #484
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I think somebody should PM Dottie and ask her. She made my Shiratake thread a sticky. Someone would probably need to do the leg work and put all the recipe's/links in one post for her.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
I also want to thank you again, Janie, for starting this thread and to say how good it is to see your pretty face again. It's been too long. I also vote for sticky w/ an index if anybody knows how to do that.
I really want to try several of the recipes I've seen in here, but other than the pudding, they've all gotten lost to me. I truly would like to find the bread recipe again. So many neat new things to try. I love my glucomannan.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #486
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Linda, Marcea gave us the recipe, so it's easy to find when you do a search on marcea.

There's a cake too.

So good to see you.

I'm retiring again end of May! I'll be back to LCF more and more.

You coming down this way anytime soon?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #487
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Thanks for the suggestions. As far as coming down that way, I wish. We just got back from a month long trip over to the East Coast in the motor home. It feels good to be back home, lol. Hope you are finally getting back to normal after that horrible hurricane.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #488
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks to administrators, this is now a sticky. Keep the good recipes flowing.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #489
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsitaly View Post
Well, probably not going to do the hot cereal idea again. wasn't filling and just kind of felt like my stomach had a big wad of gel in it. Nothing terrible, but a little grumbly. just ate an HB egg to see if that helps fill it up with solid food.

Ms. Woods - did that cereal really fill you up? Granted, I didn't add the butter as you did.
mrsitaly~ I have found that I do need protein w/ the glu powder to stay satiated.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #490
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, I think you are right.

Glu + Protein!!!

Well said.

Janie
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, Thank You Dottie for making this a sticky!!!

And I agree that the gluc needs some protein with it to make it really satiatable. (Think I just made that word up. ) But everyone is different!!!! I also usually add either some butter or coconut oil, and think that helps, but I know some of you are also very low fat.
I have never tried the Gluc alone for a hot cereal, and doubt I will. I tweaked some other low carb hot cereals, and added some Gluc to it. Works out to be a nice hot cereal for me anyway.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #492
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Has anyone tried adding gluc to almond breeze or half and half to make a "whipped cream"? Or would it just gel and not whip?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
mrsitaly~ I have found that I do need protein w/ the glu powder to stay satiated.
yep!! I guess I needed to figure that out! After I ate the gluc cereal I had a hb egg and that help A LOT.

And yesterday for my pm snack, I had some gluc pudding and another hb egg and that worked really well.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #494
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Has anyone tried adding gluc to almond breeze or half and half to make a "whipped cream"? Or would it just gel and not whip?
I've added it to almond milk and only gotten the gel consistency. Maybe it needs something else added to make it more whipped? I would love to hear other thoughts on this too!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #495
Major LCF Poster!

Billie, can you share what LC hot cereal you tweaked with gluc? Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, here's a recipe from Dr. Oz show today. Please note that I believe glucomannon powder would be part of this. Additionally, you can see that there is protein. . .

So maybe our puddings and shakes are miracle workers according to this Dr. Gray and Dr. Oz.

Here's the recipe (the parentheses are my notes from listening to the tv)

JOHN GRAY’S MARRIAGE-SAVING SHAKE

Do you get fight with your partner when you’re hungry? You’re not alone; this common issue is actually caused by your hormones. Luckily, you can ensure healthy hormone production by eating the right nutrients. This shake from Dr. John Gray is filled with superfoods to keep your blood sugar steady and your domestic bond blissful.
Added to Recipes on Tue 04/05/2011
Ingredients
1 scoop un-denatured whey protein
1 tsp maca powder
1 tbsp flaxseed
1tsp cacao powder
1 tbsp PGX powder (–from the konjak root—isn’t this glucomannon?)
Handful of gogi berries
1 tsp acai berry powder
2 tsp molasses
1 drop artificial sweetener
1 tbsp coconut oil
6 to 8 oz water
Ice

Directions
Use a blender to mix all ingredients together. Don’t forget to mix in the water and ice. Blend until thoroughly mixed, and drink!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #497
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And here's what the pgx is:

PGX Fiber Blend
binds to the water in the digestive tract to form a gelatinous, viscous mass which slows glucose absorption and creates a sense of satiety (fullness) while reducing the absorption of calories.

PGX Blend (short for PolyGlycopleX) exerts 3 to 5 times the effects of other fibers. A key component of PGX is glucomannan, a soluble fiber from the root of konjac. It is 3 times more viscous than guar and 7 times more viscous than psyllium. With this, and the other components it contains, PGX has a viscosity 3 to 5 times greater than glucomannan alone.

PGX:

lowers postprandial blood glucose by 20%
lowers insulin secretion by 40%
improves whole body insulin sensitivity by nearly 50%
is unequalled by any drug or natural product.

PGX capsules also contain an extract of mulberry leaves, shown to block certain enzymes that break down starches and sugars in the body, thereby diminishing after-meal rises in glucose and insulin.

Big question: Should we be looking at pgx powder for satiety?

Dunno!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #498
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Quote:
I've added it to almond milk and only gotten the gel consistency. Maybe it needs something else added to make it more whipped? I would love to hear other thoughts on this too!
I have added it to almond milk (Almond Breeze or other brand) and/or coconut milk (the boxed type) sometimes with a little cream sometimes not. But I didn't just whisk or shake, I blended WELL in a blender. What I got (especially after it sat in the fridge a few hours) was a consistency kinda like one of the layers in the old jello whipped dessert. It did whip up quite a bit. Of course the almond or coconut milk didn't whip up like whipped cream would, but but it was lightly whipped & creamy. I added a little protein pwd (sometimes), and a very light sprinkling (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 tsp) kool aid pwd. Pretty good pudding!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #499
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Billie, can you share what LC hot cereal you tweaked with gluc? Thanks!
I'll be glad to share it soon as I find it. I typed it up the other day, but am having a hard time finding it.
OK: here it is!

HOT CEREAL - LOW CARB

1 Tbsp sliced Almonds
2 Tbsp ground almonds
2 Tbsp golden flax meal (can use reg brown)
1 Tbsp vanilla whey protein pwd
pinch salt
dash of Kelp (optional)
1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp Wheat bran (optional)
1 Tbsp Oat Fiber
1/4-1/2 tsp Glucomannan (optional)(also could add more if you like)
1/64 tsp pure Stevia pwd or sweetener to taste
1 Tbsp DaVinci’s SF syrup (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup water (or water needed, may need more or less)

Mix in microwavable bowl. Microwave for 1 min (or till desired consistency)

Use any flavor protein pwd desired. Can use chocolate, and add cocoa pwd & more sweetener. Strawberry is good too.
I change it up a little all the time. Use more or less of the ingredients depending on what I want or have on hand at the time. I don't always put the sliced almonds in (and they aren't always easy to find, but could use chopped). I've been using only 1 TBsp almond meal lately. This is a VERY high fiber hot cereal. And almost twice as much as what some people mix up. But most of the recipes I've seen of others just wasn't enough for me.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: add recipe
Old 04-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. I'll put this aside in the file until I'm ready to up my carbs. Vacation in two weeks, so trying to keep things on the low side.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #501
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Wow - We're a Sticky - Yipeeee!!!!!!

My, My, My - Wow - this sure has been a busy place today!!!! I'm really impressed!!!! Thank-you all!!!

So, now I'll show my stupidity a bit but what happens with the index?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Um.... that has not happened yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Sure is good to see such wonderful info coming through and it's wonderful to be with you all!!!! I feel so blessed. Thanks!!!

Billie - thanks for the condolences about our house. Fortunately no lives were lost - except for the actual house and my G'ma's Piano (which both felt alive to me). Fact is - I do love my new home so I try to focus on that - at least until something like a lost recipie bugs the whoopee out of me.

Dottie-thanks for getting the Sticky thread taken care of. Also I have added Glucomannan to Almond Milk. The Milk I use is Silky's Almond Milk. (It's the only one I can find without Caragennan (sp?) and Caragennan Is on the sometimes list for MSG so I stay clear of it) Anyway, I mixed 1 C Almond milk and 1 C Whip Cream and I added 1 tsp of Glucomannan and whatever sugar substitute, chocolate to taste and then whipped the heck out of it and stuck it in the Fridge. I had to fight my husband for it or he would have eaten it all up himeself. I'm more into the Low Carbs than low Calories - so that might not work for some. In anycase - it turned out very light and fluffy - more like a chiffon pudding maybe.

Janie - you mentioned KevinPa and so did Billie and I keep seeing his name here and there. I'm so sorry for his loss and I wish I could have met him. I haven't run into his recipes yet - but I plan on looking for them.

BTW Janie - that Marriage Saving Shake sounds really good - maybe I can give some of that to my husband so I can get some of my own pudding.

mrsitaly - I'd 2nd what everyone else is saying about needing the protein with the Glucomannan - sure seems to work that way for me too.. I think that's why the cheese bread (or any of it's derivatives) fills me up so well.

It's really great to know every one here
Cheers
marcea
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #504
Senior LCF Member

Glucomannan Vs PGX

Found this discussion at Glucomannan - Acne Message Boards about Glucomannan Vs PGX and thought I'd go ahead and post it. In my own case - I think I'll stick to the straight Glucomannan. I know it works and I'm not allergic to it. However - this sounds like Both versions may very well have their uses.

PGX continues to expand a LONG time after it comes in contact with liquid, up to 2 hours, even in the small intestines too. It's an excellent and powerful appetite control and I can go upwards of 5 hours without feeling hungry when taking it. Even if a little PGX is easing a huge insulin spike, I think a small amount of it would be just as effective, if not more, than quick to absorb glucomannan. Glucomannan isn't as viscous nor will it swell to the capacity pgx can, so perhaps things balance out.

This raises an important question: Do you take a fast absorbing or slow absorbing fibre supplement?

Anyone know???

I've been thinking about this. Both have their benefits. For example, Glucomannan I believe is best for foods high in refined fast-absorbing sugar meals because an insulin spike can happen well before the 2 hours PGX takes to form a gel. Glucomannan would be able to gel it up before it was able to cause an insulin spike, and PGX would not, PGX would still be in the early stages of forming a gel by the time the insulin spike was already well on its way. However, PGX is better if you have a diet low in refined sugar and refined carbs, and you want something more convenient, like capsules. The fact that PGX takes up to two hours to form a gel means it has plenty of time to mix throughly with what you have eaten before it's become a real solid gel. This is ideal for capsules because the risk of it forming a impenetrable ball of gel which could potentially cause an obstruction is very low. Glucomannan gels far too quickly to make capsules a practical or safe option in my opinion. I could be wrong about that, but it seems that way to me.

Last edited by marcea; 04-06-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #505
Major LCF Poster!

Deep breath here and see if I can answer all your questions (that I can answer) Marcea..... (Probably not in order the were asked)

First, If we have an index, one of us will have to go thru and find all the recipes, and make the "index". Not sure if I myself will have the time this week or next or not. Dottie told me that she "thought" she could add it to the top of this page if we fixed one. Another thought that I had was to possibly make a new thread with it, and ask people that it just be an index to here (or other places where Gluc recipes are), and keep comments on these threads. Then new index pages could be made and added as recipes are added or found.

Sure is good to "meet" you too Marcea!!!! Welcome to the site. Sorry the welcome is so late.

As for Kevin, he was a really great guy. He really helped a lot of people here on the site. You will find a Memorial thread of his recipes & posts as it's own section here: Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes - Low Carb Friends

I need to go check out that article, site, info you posted the link on. But I better wait till tomorrow. It's late, and my brain isn't functioning too well, even for me.

Chiffon pudding, that's more or less what I was trying to describe about my almond/coconut milk pudding too! It is very Chiffon like.

Had I mentioned before that I had made chocolate pudding (a tweak of Blonde with a Rose's recipes) eaten about 1/2, then added chia gel to the second half, and had that the next day. It was quite good that way too!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #506
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
I will write them and ask them to carry it. They did start carrying the large bags of zsweet after I requested it.
Hi all. Due to an increasing amount of requests, Netrition will start carrying the Konjac brand of Glucomannan Powder. Expected delivery is within a week. I'll will post again when it is available.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Hi all. Due to an increasing amount of requests, Netrition will start carrying the Konjac brand of Glucomannan Powder. Expected delivery is within a week. I'll will post again when it is available.
Thank you so much. I see so much interest!

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
Sure, less than 12 hrs AFTER i ordered from another site and paid high shipping.
Great to have it at Netrition though!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #509
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Thank you!! This is a great addition to Netrition, and much appreciated!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nelle Belle, I just placed my netrition order Monday. . .but there is always an order for me from Netrition.

So glad to have the convenience, price, and low shipping from netrition!!

Friends here aren't bad either. . .lol.