Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
Billie, that bread looks yummy! Does it taste as good as it looks?
It is good roro. Hard to describe. It is, as Marcea said a little eggy tasting, but like her, I don't mind that. I bet it would be really good as a sweet bread with sweetening added. Looking at it, you (or my mind anyway) think it looks like it'd be sweet. But this isn't a sweet bread. I think mine is probably a little less eggy maybe than Marcea's, because I used one less egg, and added the oat fiber. I'm hoping she will see my post and answer about how think the batter should be. I'm wondering if mine wasn't too thick.
I had 3 VERY think pieces with breakfast this morning. The first 2 I put butter & sweetened cinnamon on them, then I put some of my SF Blueberry jam on the other piece. Mmmm....

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Quote:
I am sorry, I didn't actually make the blocks, I just meant that I know how to do it if the recipe works, I watched the video posted with the asian lady making it. i havent actually tested it. did you try it and it doesn't work? I think its called konnyaku
So far I have tried following methods:

1) The one posted on Konjac Foods site - the mixture did not set up at all.

2) Post #15 on the Making Shirataki Dumplings thread after I found the Japanese website itself and used Google to translate the instructions to English. My Konjac mixture after resting did not stiffen enough to be kneaded but I went ahead and added the Pickling Lime solution to see if that helped. It only set up partially not firm enough to be cut and boiled.

3) Another method I found on a Taiwanese vegetarian site which called for a higher ratio of powder and coagulant to water with an additional step of steaming the mixture before cutting it up and boiling it again. That did set up but the texture was totally different than store-bought Konnyaki blocks or Shirataki noodles (which I love).

4) Pooticus' method of panfried Gluc dumplings on this thread - my Gluc powder did not seem to absorb as much liquid and bulk up. I went ahead and cooked it and the outside was nice and set but the inside still a little gluey. However, this one actually tasted the best out of all my experiments.

Since I purchased my bulk Gluc powder from Healthy Village instead of Konjac Foods, I am starting to wonder if maybe not all Gluc powder are created equal. Also, the powder itself has a really strong fishy smell and comes thru in the end product if the flavorings or seasonings not strong enough to cover it (for example, Ouiz's Caramel Apple Super Low OMM). The Chocolate version though is totally yummy. Thanks Ouiz for coming up with such a wonderful low calorie/carb chocolate food for Chocoholics.

Has anyone else tried the HV brand?

Evelyn
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #393
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
welcome Evelyn!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Still waiting on my order, the suspense is killing me.

I have a couple of questions for those of you glu -users. I've heard it's the same ingredient as Sensa- where you sprinkle it on your food before you eat. Does anyone use it like this? Wouldn't the gluc gel up before you could eat?

Also, do you feel full after eating it, like you would a real meal? Are you guys using it as meal replacement?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Evelyn~ My powder came from Konjac foods and has NO fishy smell or taste at all.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
No fishy smell here, either - I've ordered from Konjac foods but had planned to try Healthy Vill next time, maybe not now! My friend ordered from them, I will wait to see if her powder acts the same or smells fishy.

I don't think it's the same thing as Sensa. I tried the Sensa free trial and found NO benefit whatsoever from using it (nor did my friend who tried it for three months). Also, to me the Sensa added a slight taste to foods so I always knew it was there. Sprinkling even a tiny bit of gluc on anything wet causes an instant reaction and you know it's there even though it's tasteless.

I had a wonderful Ouiz superlow cal muffin for breakfast today. (I put a LOT more grated daikon in it and love the texture and apple-iness it adds, I have one almost every DD on JUDDD) I love the shiritake noodles and after working with the gluc powder on various experiments - I'm happy to pay for the actual noodles lol and use my gluc powder for other stuff. Gotta try that cereal!

Last edited by penguinpower; 03-30-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mrsitaly
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in this thread...but is the powder something you can purchase locally, or best to order directly from Konjac? I've seen it on other websites, but they are all out of stock. just wondering if anyone has had luck finding it in their local health store.

I'm most curious about trying Ms Wood's hot cereal! Oatmeal in the mornings is one of the biggest things I miss.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #398
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I do the hot cereal thing, but I mix in a half scoop of vanilla or cookie dough protein powder--for about 50 calories you get l-oo-nn-g term satisfaction--
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #399
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Evelyn~ My powder came from Konjac foods and has NO fishy smell or taste at all.
I just wanted to let yall know, the only time I've noticed a slightly fishy smell is after I make my glucc hot cereal and re-heat it. When the bowl is sitting in front of me and the steam wafts up to my nose, it has a slightly fishy odor, so I just move the bowl away from my face Lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I do the hot cereal thing, but I mix in a half scoop of vanilla or cookie dough protein powder--for about 50 calories you get l-oo-nn-g term satisfaction--
Really??!! This is what I need! I bought a huge bag of chia seeds, but haven't done much with it. I'm hoping I won't experience the same with the gluc.

And everyone agrees that ordering from konjac is the best?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsitaly View Post
Really??!! This is what I need! I bought a huge bag of chia seeds, but haven't done much with it. I'm hoping I won't experience the same with the gluc.

And everyone agrees that ordering from konjac is the best?
I ordered mine fron Konjac foods. People were saying that was another good option and cheaper shipping.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post

I don't think it's the same thing as Sensa. I tried the Sensa free trial and found NO benefit whatsoever from using it (nor did my friend who tried it for three months). Also, to me the Sensa added a slight taste to foods so I always knew it was there. Sprinkling even a tiny bit of gluc on anything wet causes an instant reaction and you know it's there even though it's tasteless.
Thank you for your response, that is exactly what I was wondering.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
It is good roro. Hard to describe. It is, as Marcea said a little eggy tasting, but like her, I don't mind that. I bet it would be really good as a sweet bread with sweetening added. Looking at it, you (or my mind anyway) think it looks like it'd be sweet. But this isn't a sweet bread. I think mine is probably a little less eggy maybe than Marcea's, because I used one less egg, and added the oat fiber. I'm hoping she will see my post and answer about how think the batter should be. I'm wondering if mine wasn't too thick.
I had 3 VERY think pieces with breakfast this morning. The first 2 I put butter & sweetened cinnamon on them, then I put some of my SF Blueberry jam on the other piece. Mmmm....
You know - I could have sworn I did respond to this - Gesh. Guess I haven't gotten used to manuevering my way around the site yet.

Anyway, I'm really happy to hear that you liked the bread and you even got pictures - Super!!!!

Yes, the dough is pretty thick and makes a very dense bread. I haven't worked with oat Fiber before, so I'm not real sure of it's actions. Also, while you were talking about it resembling a sweet bread, I remembered having made kind of pound cake from this recipie - guess I'd better go see if I can find the altered recipe. Unfortunately, I'm notorious for doing something and not writing it down. Besides that - I really haven't really had places to share with - I am so enjoying this!!!! I know another poster already said this, but I feel a little like I've struck gold. You all have such wonderful ideas and ways to use the Gluc.

So, is Oat Fiber kinda like Coconut Flour and Flax seed in that it really uses up the liquid? I'll have to get some and play with it. Any pointers? Cheers Marcea
Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #404
Big Yapper!!!!

I think I may try to make actual noodles tonight with the pickling lime. I'm adding bags of shiritake noodles to my cart and lordy it's adding up fast. I'm going to see if I can make my own before I place my next order of noodles Lol.

I still can't get the chocolate pasta with walden farms strawberry syrup out of my head that I thought of last week. I may try that as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I think I may try to make actual noodles tonight with the pickling lime. I'm adding bags of shiritake noodles to my cart and lordy it's adding up fast. I'm going to see if I can make my own before I place my next order of noodles Lol.

I still can't get the chocolate pasta with walden farms strawberry syrup out of my head that I thought of last week. I may try that as well.
Ahhhhh MsWoods - If you get the knack for making the noodles - holler. So far noodle are beyond me. I love the pudding and will try out the "cereal", but so far the noodles turn into rubber jello. Even with the pickling lime. Guess I've lost something in the technique.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #406
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Penquinpower - I'd be interested to hear about your friend's comment on the HV Gluc powder. Being of Chinese descent fishy smell normally does not faze me much. I love fish sauce, anchovies, etc. However, that undernote kinda spoiled the otherwise great Ouiz Caramel Apple superlow OMM for me

MsWoods - Can't wait to hear if it works for you using the Konjac Foods powder to make noodles.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Just orderd 3 bags. Really enjoying this thread and plan on making the brownies tomorrow. May try to make the bread into a sweet bread.

Hope there's no shortage of klucomann with all the problems in Japan!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

Just ordered my bag. Can't wait to try some things!

If you have it cold and in a gelled form, does it re-heat well in the microwave? or does that increase the fishiness? I'm just thinking of making the hot cereal and then re-heating at work.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #409
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post
so far the noodles turn into rubber jello. Even with the pickling lime. Guess I've lost something in the technique.
Isn't it supposed to b a firm gel? Th question is, how then do you turn it into noodles? Did you try cutting the gel with a peeler or shredder? I am sure konjc has a way of making them that we cannot duplicate. some kind of extruder where the noodles come right out of the pasta maker into a solution that hardens it instantly.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #410
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
i tried to double th cheese bread recipe, and i didnt get twice the dough

I made 6 bigger ones instead of 8 smaller. definitely not double. thy are more dense inside and don't have the holes. One thing I did different, I beat the eggs much fluffier than last time, but I would think that would make them better
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Isn't it supposed to b a firm gel? Th question is, how then do you turn it into noodles? Did you try cutting the gel with a peeler or shredder? I am sure konjc has a way of making them that we cannot duplicate. some kind of extruder where the noodles come right out of the pasta maker into a solution that hardens it instantly.
I don't think I even got it into a solid enough gel. Actually I'm wondering if MsWoods might have it right by putting 1 Tablespoon to 1 cup of water. What I tried was kind of a version of the the german noodles Spaetzle. With that you use something that looks like a colander or grater to push the soft dough through into a big pan of boiling water. I used to make Spaetzle all the time - before LC and GF days. Anyway, Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the Gluc. to gel before trying to push it through the Spaetzle maker because the noodles just dissolved into the hot water. Frustration!!!! I essentially had a big pot of Glucomannan Soup - guess I should have just gone with that. I recently read a post where someone did and it sounded good very good - next time I will do that too.

I've been using the Konjac version of Glucomannan and so far it seems to be pretty consistent - except I'm not able to make noodles out of it. Maybe I should have pushed the Glucomannan gel out into "cold" water but the noodles I buy don't just dissove when they hit the heat. Also, they say that heat helps to make the Glucomannan thicker. Hmmmmmmm. ?????

Anyway, Since I can buy 25 bags of Shirataki noodles (online) for $35 including shipping, I have kind of decided it wasn't worth the aggrevation. However, if someone manages to figure it out - I'm all ears.

Cheers Marcea
Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
i tried to double th cheese bread recipe, and i didnt get twice the dough

I made 6 bigger ones instead of 8 smaller. definitely not double. thy are more dense inside and don't have the holes. One thing I did different, I beat the eggs much fluffier than last time, but I would think that would make them better
Hmmmmm - not sure about that either. I've more than doubled them (like quadruppled them) and I haven't noticed any difference. I have noticed that if the cheese is a heavier cheese it does tend to make the rolls not quite so fluffy. Also, the size of the balls can do that. I recently made 40 rolls at one time. (I was headed to a girls retreat with 6 of my highschool girlfriends and wanted some snacks I could eat). Anyway, the rolls turned out well that time and they all got eaten too.

The size of the eggs would make a difference - did that change? I haven't tried this yet but I have thought about adding a little more BP or even some Baking Soda when using a heavier cheese.

Another thing I have thought about is that the Glucomannan consistency seems to get thicker and denser the more you beat it so I'm wondering if that might be an issue. Beat the eggs well and then just beat the Glucomannan into the eggs until you see a few waves in the dough.
Cheers Marcea
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
You know - I could have sworn I did respond to this - Gesh. Guess I haven't gotten used to manuevering my way around the site yet.

Anyway, I'm really happy to hear that you liked the bread and you even got pictures - Super!!!!

Yes, the dough is pretty thick and makes a very dense bread. I haven't worked with oat Fiber before, so I'm not real sure of it's actions. Also, while you were talking about it resembling a sweet bread, I remembered having made kind of pound cake from this recipie - guess I'd better go see if I can find the altered recipe. Unfortunately, I'm notorious for doing something and not writing it down. Besides that - I really haven't really had places to share with - I am so enjoying this!!!! I know another poster already said this, but I feel a little like I've struck gold. You all have such wonderful ideas and ways to use the Gluc.

So, is Oat Fiber kinda like Coconut Flour and Flax seed in that it really uses up the liquid? I'll have to get some and play with it. Any pointers? Cheers Marcea
I underdstand! Oh how I can relate to that. And sometimes I think things happen, and posts just don't go thru. One day this or this past week, I couldn't even get on here. The site just wouldn't come up that day.

You said the batter was thick, but I'm still wondering if mine wasn't a little bit too think, tho it did make a good bread. I really had a hard time spreading it out in the loaf pan.

I bet it might very well make a good pound cake, and maybe even a cinnamon loaf. And I also relate to you on that not getting my recipes, or tweaks written down. Sometimes I make something once, and really like it, and then can't make it that way again, cause I didn't get my changes (rarely actually create a recipe from scratch) written down, and can't remember what they were.

Yes, Oat Fiber does really soak up liquid. I am using it more and more all the time. I've started putting it (not my idea) in my coconut oil chocolate bark. First time I did it, I put too much. (I still ate it tho!!! ) I cut back next time, & I really like it with it in it. Makes it more filling (and of course the fiber). I've even started adding a little Gluc pwd to it too. I am one who can use a LOT of fiber.

Thanks for the recipe Marcea.

Hmmm,,,,, looking at your reply to roro about the rolls/buns, I might try adding a little more baking pwd next time to this recipe too. Don't want to get too much, but maybe a little more.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #414
Big Yapper!!!!

So, it didn't work. I made a firm gel, but it wasn't firm enough to cut into noodles. I cut it into dumpling shape and size pieces and I pan dried it like I would noodles, and the texture was still just not appetizing. I'm going to go ahead and buy the noodles from Konjac but I'll continue to experiment.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #415
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Burton
Hi,,,
I am found of Gluc powder recipe but its too costly... If any one have a economical Gluc powder recipe just inform me.. It will be great for me...
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Burton, since I only use 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon at a time, the Gluc powder doesn't turn out to be very costly.

I find a little goes a looooooooooooooong way.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #417
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Hi,,,
I am found of Gluc powder recipe but its too costly... If any one have a economical Gluc powder recipe just inform me.. It will be great for me...
Google Healthy Village. Someone here posted it yesterday. You can get a 1lb bag for about 12$ plus shipping. I haven't bought from there yet but I plan to do so soon.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
So my figures come to 12 cents a serving, if that is 1/2 teaspoon.

MsWoods, some have said some less that nice things about Healthy Village Glu. Haven't tried it myself. Let us know how it turns out for you.

I don't like the smell of the glu powder from Konjak, but it never tastes at all--not to me anyway.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #419
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh really? I assumed it was the same stuff. I'll just continue to get it from Konjac. Thanks for the heads up.

The only time I've noticed any smell from the konjac powder was after I heated up the "cereal".
Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #420
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Oh my - I've just been so jazzed to find this thread on Glucomannan use!!! Thank-you all so much for your experiences and recipe's. I've been "Playing around" with glucomannan for about 3 months and been blown away about the dirth of information about cooking with it. Ahhhhh - Now I've got a resource - Wonderful!!!

Anyway, I thought I would share a Glucomannan Cheese Bread recipe I've been experimenting with. So far I'm pretty happy with it, but I find myself wanting a brownie - hmmm maybe I'll try to "browniefy" the cheese bread recipe. Cheers

P.S. I've bought the bulk Glucomannan from Konjac and have been very happy with it.

GF Glucomannan Cheese Bread
Ingredients:
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1 c Finely grated Cheese - your choice.
3 lg Eggs
1 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp Water

Instructions:
Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add oil, water, baking powder and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
When the beater leaves "waves" in the dough, it's probably just about right. It'll be kind of the consistency of pudding..
I add the cheese last and then Cook according to Type of bread you want. (Note: I either use a non-stick spray or a non-stick pan)

For rolls - Spray non-stick spray on your hands and shape into about 12 balls. (Or drop like drop biscuits.) Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes. (Rolls actually turn out flatter and can make a good sandwich base if they are 3" diameter)

For pizza crust - add a shake of garlic and a tsp. of Italian herbs to dough. (I double the recipe if I want a 16 inch Pizza.) Otherwise, you have a medium Pizza. Put dough on pizza or cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. I have usually just sprayed my hands with non-stic Spray and spread out the dough, but you could spray a piece of plastic wrap and place it on top of dough. Roll with a rolling pin to about 1/3 inch thick. (If you do mini pizzas you can just use your hands to pat down to the right shape and thickness.) Bake at 375F for 15 minutes, (shorter or Longer depending on size. )Top with pizza toppings and bake until cheese is bubbly.

Fry Bread: Pour batter into a 12 inch frying pan that you have melted about a Tablespoon of oil in. I use Coconut oil and a med low heat. Spread dough to the sides of the pan and put a lid on it. When dough is brown on the bottom, turn it over to finish cooking.

NOTE: I have used Jack, Sharp cheddar, Feta and Parmesan Cheeses as well as some Jalepeno's in the Bread - turns out good.
If your looking for lowfat - I have Cooked the Fry bread without the Cheese and it turns out a little like Yorkshire Pudding.
I have also, (for whatever reason) left out the Baking Powder and it seems to turn out OK.
Quoting for my personal reference. Making something like this this weekend! I've been good all week I need a treat!

I've been thinking of having myself a cheese fondu bar this weekend since I've been sooooooooooooooo good. Maybe I need some glu bread to dip it in!