Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I re-heated last nights experiement for lunch and I'm full. The texture is a bit off putting though, not too bad that I can't eat it, but I would like it to be a bit less chewy. Any suggestions on that? I ate it with some sliced jalapeno's for some texture and crunch in my mouth which helped.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Tina, since no one else has answered you, I will hazard a guess. I do not think glucomannan would help. It's already a pretty moist recipe, which you want to crisp up. Glucomannan does the opposite of crisping. I use it with "drying" flours like oat fiber and protein powder. But if you decide to try it, let us know the results. Always willing to learn.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #363
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Tina, since no one else has answered you, I will hazard a guess. I do not think glucomannan would help. It's already a pretty moist recipe, which you want to crisp up. Glucomannan does the opposite of crisping. I use it with "drying" flours like oat fiber and protein powder. But if you decide to try it, let us know the results. Always willing to learn.
thanks for the input soobee!!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #364
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2 View Post
Does this bread handle the sandwich juices well or does it turn to mush?
the stuff i put on it was not really wet or greasy, so it was fine. I will try it with a cheeseburger this weeekend and see how that holds up.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #365
Big Yapper!!!!

Glucomannan pudding. Droooool. I made chocolate and vanilla and the chocolate is way better, i didnt put enough sweetener in the vanilla. Just a cup of almond milk, 1 tbsp glucc, 1 tbsp cocoa, some sweetener amd whisk until thick. Im in love. I just hope it doesnt effect my weight loss negatively.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cdilday
Stats: 378/212/145
WOE: hHCG 6-19-11, 9-10-11
Start Date: December 2008 LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Glucomannan pudding. Droooool. I made chocolate and vanilla and the chocolate is way better, i didnt put enough sweetener in the vanilla. Just a cup of almond milk, 1 tbsp glucc, 1 tbsp cocoa, some sweetener amd whisk until thick. Im in love. I just hope it doesnt effect my weight loss negatively.
Maybe an oops, but this sounds like too much gluc to me?

I'm only using 1 (slightly rounded) tsp per 2 cups of liquid for my pudding recipes.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Oh, me too! It's kind of expensive, but nothing compares. I add it to my morning shake because I don't want a shake. I want ice cream. And that's what I get!

I usually add about 3/4 teaspoon to a 32-ounce shake, and maybe 1/16th teaspoon of xanthan gum. The combination of the two is way better than either one without the other.
Oh, thank you so much for telling me that....I have both and never knew that fact. I'll have to give them both another go.
B
Old 03-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Ms Woods~ I've used different flavorings to get some tasty very low cal pudding and gravies with the glu.

Orange sf drink powder added to veg broth, soy sauce and chinese 5 spice and glu powder (scant tsp in two cups liquid) makes an excellent sauce for noodles and stirfry. Cook sauce over the stove then add noodle and veg.

Choc pudding made with a splash of cherry flavoring is yummy, also with butter flavoring w/ chocolate.

Poultry seasoning added to chicken broth makes a nice gravy.

I'm glad you're loving the glu powder. Mine saves me on DD's.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #369

i cook my puddings on the stovetop, maybe thats why i use a lot less glu. it was sooooo good, just lik real cooked pudding. Its still good in th frig the next day too, the texture cold is kinda like the pre-made pudding you buy in the cups.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #370

I made something today (not sure what to call it) I was aiming for blueberry waffles, I tried to use the same type ingredients as the cheese bread, heres what I did:

1 1/4 c. warm carb countdown milk
1/4 c cream
3 lg Eggs
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp butter
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 tbsp Baking powder
8 oz cream cheese
1 c blueberries

The waffles came out too wet on the inside. I think it was way too much gluc. i dont understand why the cheese bread recipe had less liquid and this recipe had more liquid but was too much gluc? so the rest of the batter i put in cupcake tins to make muffins. they wre also not cooked inside. I have the 2 waffles and dozen muffins in the oven now hoping they might dry out. all in all a good idea, but i need to work on the amounts. maybe add a little almond or coconut flour?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Restarting low-carb after 5 years off. Last time I was in here, Carbquick and Erythritol powder were all the rage.

I've been trying to read up on this thread, but some of the posts have me confused. What I've figured out is that Glucomannan (the same fiber that is used to make shirotaki noodles) is what you guys are using as a thickener (like xanthan gum)

What I don't understand is what you do when you put it in a pan and put liquid over it, or what you are using for dipping.

TIA for any help!!!

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
roro, glucomannon holds waterr. I think that's why they were wet. It varies from recipe to recipe just how much to use. I use 2 teaspoons in my very moist bread loatf, and 1 tsp in my angel food cake. When I made the bread with 3 tsp., I thought it was too wet. I agree with you that your recipe seems to need coconut flour or some other flour.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #373

thanks soobee. i am eating the muffins anyway, there is cream cheese, so it like having a cheese filling. The waffles got crispy in the oven, I am gonna try them today.

I will be experimenting more this week. I bought the pickling lime, but idk if I am gonna make noddles. I cant find anyone to tell me how to make the noddle shapes. i know how to make the blocks, but you cant then extrude them in a pasta maker after its set up. if you do it before then they will just be like jelly and stick back together as they come out. cant find any answers on this, searched the entire internet. I guess i gotta buy them if I want them
Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

Spent the morning reading all 13 pages. I ordered some, and I can't wait to try it in my protein shakes as well as the pizza crust and as a thickener for sauces.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

I wonder about using the konjak rice in conjunction with the powder to make a rice pudding. Also, has anyone tried the konjak powder in the coconut flour biscuits? Maybe that would help with the dryness.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
I put this question out on another glucomannan thread, but...

Has anyone come up with a potsticker type "thingy" with this glucomannan stuff? I have not tried the stuff, but watched the gross video. Gross as it was, it gave me an "idea"...something along the lines of a chinese potsticker?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #377
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Glucomannan Fudge Brownies.

OK - the taste for chocolate finally got overwhelming!!! , Anyway, here is the Glucomannan Brownie recipie I came up with. The brownies tasted pretty darn good to me - I even had to share them with my Husband. Gotta admit, When I saw how many calories they were I just about fainted, but since I pretty much stick to the "net Carbs" I figured I'd go ahead and post this for anyone else who also goes by the net carbs. The recipie turns out about 8 servings with a net carb count of 1 per serving. At least that's my math - Feel free to check it - math and I have never gotten along too well!!!

In anycase, one serving really did hit the spot and was very filling. I'll make this one again.

Cheers
Marcea

Glucomannan Fudge Brownies
Ingredients:
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
3 oz Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
1 c Splenda
3 Eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
4 tsp Glucomannan
8 oz Cream Cheese - Room Temperature
1/8 c flax seed meal

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees

• Melt Coconut Oil and Chocolate. (Can melt it in MW or in a saucepan over low heat.)
• Mix in Splenda. Let cool.

• In an electric mixer, Beat eggs until fluffy. (I keep the electric mixer beating the whole time)
• Add Baking Powder, Vanilla and Cinnamon
• Sprinkle 4 tsp Glucomannan into eggs while eggs are being beaten. (I use a seasoning Shaker) When the beater leaves "waves" in the dough, it's probably just about right. It'll be kind of the consistency of pudding.

• Slowly add room temperature Cream cheese. (I cut it into small slices and add each one separtely)
• Then Slowly mix in Coconut Oil, Chocolate and Splenda mix.
• Then Flax seed

Drop Like Drop Biscuits onto Cookie Sheet. (I ended up with 8 brownie biscuits.)
Cook at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. (Depending on how big the "Brownie Biscuit" is)
Note: If you cook it in a pan like regular brownies, it would probably need to cook for 30 - 35 minutes.

Calories Total Carbs Dietary Fiber
1 T Coconut Oil 150 0 0
Chocolate 420 12 6
Eggs 180 0.9 0
Flaxseed 70 5 4
Glucomannan 0 20 20
Cream Cheese 800 0 0
TOTALS 1620 37.9 30

Per Serving 202 Cal 4.7 Carb 3.75 Diet Fiber

Net Carbohydrate Per Serving = 1 Yippee!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
I made something today (not sure what to call it) I was aiming for blueberry waffles, I tried to use the same type ingredients as the cheese bread, heres what I did:

1 1/4 c. warm carb countdown milk
1/4 c cream
3 lg Eggs
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp butter
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 tbsp Baking powder
8 oz cream cheese
1 c blueberries

The waffles came out too wet on the inside. I think it was way too much gluc. i dont understand why the cheese bread recipe had less liquid and this recipe had more liquid but was too much gluc? so the rest of the batter i put in cupcake tins to make muffins. they wre also not cooked inside. I have the 2 waffles and dozen muffins in the oven now hoping they might dry out. all in all a good idea, but i need to work on the amounts. maybe add a little almond or coconut flour?
Good Idea Roro!!! I don't have a waffle iron but I've been wanting to try pancakes. I wonder if leaving out the milk might make the difference. Maybe if the mixture needs more fluid - add another egg. I believe that the Egg (if it's beaten fluffy) is what helps make the bready texture.
Cheers Marcea
Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post
Here is the bread that I was talking about. I've only made it with the cheese in it (I love cheese) but I think you could make it without and just add a bit more Coconut flour if the dough is too wet. This makes a pretty good sandwich bread, but it is dense, however not quite a crumbly as straight coconut bread. Also makes a good french toast, regular toast or garlic bread.

Glucomannan and Coconut Bread

Ingredients:
9 eggs
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 c coconut flour
1/2 c Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
1 Tabsp Baking powder
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 c Finely grated Cheese (I use Pecorino Romano for rolls and pizza. Use 1/2-1 cup sharp cheddar for crackers.)
3 tbsp Water

I start with the eggs and beat them in an electric mixer until they are fluffy.
I actually just leave the mixer on and start adding the water, Salt, Baking Powder.
Continue beating while slowly adding the Glucomannan. (I use a seasoning shaker to make sure I don't get any blobs.)
Once the Glucomannan is in I add the Coconut Flour and the Cheese.

Mix well, pour into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
(I think ? my breadpan is a 1 1/2 lb loaf)

Actually, I ended up baking mine for 50 minutes, but I'd check at 40, because my oven seems to take a tad longer to bake. Also, since it's so dense, the bread will actually "fall" if it's not cooked all the way through. I let it stay in the oven longer just to make sure.

This bread is an eggy-tasting bread, so if you don't care for that kind of taste, this might not be something your interested in. I don't mind the egg taste, but I have to admit I camoflauge it a bit with the cheese and then I'll sometimes add Garlic and Sweet Basil. It makes a great garlic bread!
Cheers
Marcea
I made this today. I only used 8 eggs, 1/2 cup coconut flour, and 1/2 cheese (I used part mozzarella & part cheddar/jack. I added oat fiber to make up the difference for soaking moisture. But I wasn't sure how thick the batter should be.
Marcea, how thick should the batter be? Mine ended up being really thick! It was hard to spread in the pan. Should it be a little thinker?
Here is my loaf (shown from both sides). I had sliced off a couple small slices.

I baked mine 50 minutes, then turned off the oven, and left it in for another 5 min.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3280245.JPG (53.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg P3280246.JPG (77.5 KB, 50 views)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Hi there Billie

The dough is pretty thick and it makes a very dense bread. I haven't worked with oat Fiber before, so I'm not real sure of it's actions. I believe that the eggs really do make a big difference in the texture of the bread. In some of my first experiments with making GF breads, I read something about beating the eggs well helps to create a "similar" (though not the same) effect as gluten - that's when I started adding so many eggs and beating the heck out of them. (poor eggs ) Is Oat Fiber kinda like Coconut Flour and Flax seed in that it really uses up the liquid? I'll have to get some and play with it. In anycase, How did it turn out for you? Cheers Marcea
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #381
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdilday View Post
Maybe an oops, but this sounds like too much gluc to me?

I'm only using 1 (slightly rounded) tsp per 2 cups of liquid for my pudding recipes.
Sorry I didn't see this until now. I'm not sure. I haven't tried it using only 1tsp per 2 cups. I had read somewhere to use 1tbsp per 1 cup (but I think it was for the noodles OOPS! Lol). That's what I have been doing and well the results are working for something other than pudding.

I mix it up and it sets up fairly quickly, then I put it in the fridge for at least a couple hours, usually overnight. I then heat it in the micro for 1-2 minutes and stir it up. Add cinnamon and a pat of butter and let me tell you, it is the best substitute for hot cereal I have came across yet. When you stir it up it kind of forms a texture in between oatmeal and Malt-O-Meal.

I think I'll use the glucc powder for things like this, and just order more shiritake noodles, because the "pudding" is way better than those gooey globs I made.

Glucc Hot Breakfast Cereal
1/2 Almond Milk
1/2 Cup Water
1tbsp glucc powder
Sprinkle Cinnamon
1 pat butter

I was using 1 whole cup of almond milk but yesterday used 1/2 and used 1/2 water and it turned out just the same.

This morning I put banana extract in it. I'm ordering some peaches 'n cream extract for this purpose solely lol.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #382

Billie, that bread looks yummy! Does it taste as good as it looks?

MsWoods, I don't see how you can possibly gt a Tbsp mixed in. After 1 tsp, mine starts to get way too thick. And heating it up makes it even thicker. Are you sprinkling it in very slowly to get it all mixed in? Or are there big clumps of undissolved gel?

I am going to try and make the brownies and more of the cheese rolls, but big enough to use for burgers. I made some pudding that I am going to try to put it in the ice cream maker. I put eggs in it, I hope the eggs and gluc are not too much!

I am also going to buy the noodles. I am disappointed because I really wanted to make them at home. But I am glad I bought the powder for puddings and baking.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Ms Woods, Hot cereal! What an inspiring idea! I made this immediately after reading your post and love it! I used maple flavoring, butter flavoring, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. So much like cream of wheat. I'm so excited, this is what I need before work. I only used a tsp of glu powder. Thank you!!

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 03-29-2011 at 07:48 AM..
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #384
Big Yapper!!!!

roro-I sprinkled just a little in to get it started then I added the rest of the tbsp and just whisked and whisked until it thickened up. It was the consistency of Malt-O-Meal or Cream of Wheat when I was finished. You could heat it from that point, but I have been making a couple bowls in advance and heating them as needed and it heats just fine.

Yes people, I'm using 1 TBSP! Lol. This is not a typo.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #385

So then does it have clumps of undissolved gluc? I tried a recipe for candy that said to mix a tbsp, I don't remember how much water, it wasn't much, but it had big clumps of undissolved stuff in it. there was no way I could even stir it anymore, it was so thick. heating it did not get the clumps to dissolve nor did it thin out. Maybe you are going for lumps? that would give it more of a hot cereal texture. are you trying to use a whole tbsp for weight loss or fiber? my pudding has a few little lumps, but I don't mind, makes it taste more like homemade.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #386
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't really think there are big lumps in it, or maybe I don't notice. There might be a few small lumps in it but nothing that's not palletable. (I'm new to this glucc thing so maybe I don't know what the consistency of the pudding is supposed to be). I'm using it for weight loss so I figure 1tbsp in my mix will keep me fuller longer and it has been working well.

By the time the mixture thickens up all of my glucc has been mixed well and my arm kind of tells me when it's time to stop and let it set. I will take a picture of it next time I eat it so you can kind of see what I'm talking about.

I can take a picture of the bowl I have right now but it's not really camera quality. I'm not using any butter in this one.

I forgot to add that I add 3 drops of EZ Sweetz and a dash of sf vanilla torani so it's more liquid than you think.

Last edited by MsWoods; 03-29-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #387

thank you for the picture, that explains it. My pudding recipe is much thinner, more the consistency of the store bought pre-made pudding cups, but there are tiny little lumps. for cereal, you definitely need a thicker consistency. looks like it would b good as rice pudding too.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #388
Big Yapper!!!!

That's exactly what I was going to say after looking at it and eating it more closely. It's the consistency of rice pudding.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #389
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ev.cheung
Hi Roro:

I see from your post #383 that you are successful in making blocks from the Glucomanoon powder. Do you mind posting the method you used? My several attempts to do that using different methods found on the internet were semi-successful at best.

Thanks, Evelyn
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev.cheung View Post
Hi Roro:

I see from your post #383 that you are successful in making blocks from the Glucomanoon powder. Do you mind posting the method you used? My several attempts to do that using different methods found on the internet were semi-successful at best.

Thanks, Evelyn
I am sorry, I didn't actually make the blocks, I just meant that I know how to do it if the recipe works, I watched the video posted with the asian lady making it. i havent actually tested it. did you try it and it doesn't work? I think its called konnyaku