Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I experimented with my glucomannan powder last night and made the best low-carb chicken gravy.

I used a can of chicken broth, a bouillon cube, a little water, about a 1/2 tsp glucomannan (maybe a tad more). Stirred this up cold and then started warming up slowly on the stove. Added salt & pepper to taste, a couple drops of yellow food coloring and after everything was thick and warmed up I stirred in a chopped up boiled egg. It was delicious and so much better than anything I've ever made with xanthum.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #332
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/226.2/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Hi guys!!!

I have now made glucomannan pan fried dumplings twice since last night lol. I'm in lurve!

My sense is that the world will be divided into two kinds of people - those who love pan fried glucodumplings and those who don't! I love them, Denny hates them. He says they remind him of overcooked squid. I don't get that texture from them, but I do get a chewy texture - not rubbery or squeaky like the thicker cuts of konjac noodles you buy.

Today I experimented with them and made them very thin by flooding a saucer with liquid and seasoning the liquid then dusting them with gluco powder from a small hand held strainer. Let it sit a while. Then pried it up with a spatula and fried it in a pan with liquid and also with a few drops of olive oil from a squirt bottle.

I made a great sauce to go with it too and then served it with a quick Asian slaw. It was an awesome lunch snack for only 74cals (today is my DD on JUDDD). And the best thing is I still have enough cals left to do a big serving of protein tonight!

I could seriously eat another batch of these for dinner!

I tried cooking the pan fried noodles with just the liquid but I think it needed the oil in order to firm up and get some brown spots on them. These did not photograph well at all, but the taste was delicious!!

03-21-11_PanFriedDumplings_VeggieStyle by pootimcpootster
Can you tell me exactly how you made these (IE what kind of liquids you used?)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #333
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: roro
Stats: 206/190/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 12-29-2000, restart 12/30/13
Ms Woods, did u get the flour? did you try to make the noodles yet?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I experimented with my glucomannan powder last night and made the best low-carb chicken gravy.

I used a can of chicken broth, a bouillon cube, a little water, about a 1/2 tsp glucomannan (maybe a tad more). Stirred this up cold and then started warming up slowly on the stove. Added salt & pepper to taste, a couple drops of yellow food coloring and after everything was thick and warmed up I stirred in a chopped up boiled egg. It was delicious and so much better than anything I've ever made with xanthum.
That sounds really yummy. I put a tiny bit of poultry seasoning in my glu chicken gravy...tastes a little like thanksgiving. I've never used xanthan gum, but I have some here. I understand it can be a little slimy? Is that the right word? I like the texture of the glu better when it's in a warm dish rather than refridgerated and eaten cold.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #335
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
Ms Woods, did u get the flour? did you try to make the noodles yet?
I'm sure it is in my mail box, I haven't checked the mail in a few days, haven't been concerned with it.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Hey guys,

I made something, but I don't know what it was!!
It was GOOD tho!

I took 2 tsp gluc powder in the botton of a large bowl. Added garlic, sage, ginger and some chicken seasoning and mixed it together with water. I just started drizzling and whisking like mad and when it became a gelatinous blob that was kinda thick, I patted it down into the bowl and placed the bowl in the fridge.

After a few hours, I preheated my wok, got it screamin' hot and tossed in my glu patty. It was a little soft, so next time I'm make it thicker.

But, I fried it up and added some of the liquid from a jar of roasted red peppers. It got good and brown and tasted yummy. But, I'll experiment some more with the ratio, unless someone has a better recipe for me to use! :::hint ::::hint POOTICUS!!!!

Anyway, I had it all by itself for lunch and it was good, but broke apart into smaller pieces as I was frying it. Didn't affect the taste tho

I can see that with some sauteed cabbage, YUMMM!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #337

to everyone making all these things....is the outside getting hard from cooking, but the inside still jelly? i ordered the pickling lime, maybe that will make things set all the way through
Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
to everyone making all these things....is the outside getting hard from cooking, but the inside still jelly? i ordered the pickling lime, maybe that will make things set all the way through

Well, I've only done this once, but yes, that describes it. Inside like jelly.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #339
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi ladies. Sorry to take so long getting back here. I've been working on my new cooking and recipe blog Fluffy Chix Cook at blogspot. Not enough hours in the day!

Ok, so info on the Konjac noodles.

There are 3 kinds of Konjac or Glucomannan noodles:

1. Straight konjac fiber. This is the one that is only konjac fiber. There is no starch or tofu in them. This one is truly supposed to be zero calorie and zero carb. It's solid fiber. And the glucomannan powder is what makes these noodles along with calcium hydroxide (pickling lime I believe).

2. Konjac Fiber/Konjac Starch blend. I am guessing this has some starch in it that hasn't been extracted from it like the glucomannan powder. It may be from the root itself without processing? But I'm guessing. These have 2g of net carbs per serving. I'm thinking it may be worth it to have a less chewy mouth feel?

3. Konjac Fiber/Tofu blend. I wouldn't touch these with a ten-foot pole cuz of the tofu. I just try to stay far away from non-fermented soy. I don't know much about them except I see this brand at many different stores in our area. Blech.

Ok so how did I do the noodles? I'm gonna be posting about that soon with step-by-step photos but maybe not till next week. In the meantime here's what I did:

Pan Fried Glucomannan Dumplings:
Serves: 1-2 People, appetizer size serving
Difficulty: Easy Peasy
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 7-8 Minutes total

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp Glucomannan Powder
Chicken Broth, reduced sodium or water
Granulated Garlic Powder
Ground Ginger
Salt and Pepper
Glass Plate

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of glucomannan powder onto glass plate. Try to make it as even a sprinkle as possible. I used a small hand-held strainer to dust the plate with it. Sprinkle granulated garlic powder, ground ginger, salt and pepper on top of gluco powder. Use a squirt bottle if you have it - to squirt plate with chicken broth. You will see it being soaked up by the glucomman. Do this until it won't absorb any more water. Let the dumpling sit for a minute or two. Then flip dumpling on plate using a spatula. Squirt more chicken broth. If you don't want to use chicken broth, use plain water. Once the glucomannan has set, the dumpling will be firm but still tender and fragile. Use spatula to gently transfer to non-stick skillet.

Ingredients for Pan Frying & Sauce:
Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Chicken Broth, reduced sodium
1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek or Srirachi Sauce or fresh chilies like Serrano or Thai chilies
1/2 tsp Soy Sauce or Tamari
1 Tbsp Sherry or Dry Vermouth
1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 med to large Green Onion
1 Baby Carrot, julienne finely
1 Tbsp Ginger, fresh
1 clove Garlic, fresh
4 drops Fiberfit Liquid Splenda Concentrate

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients except olive oil into a bowl. Set dipping sauce aside.

Heat non-stick skillet. Squirt chicken broth into very hot pan as you would oil for sauteing. Using a spatula, transfer raw glucomannan dumpling to pan. Let it cook undisturbed in the pan for about 2 minutes before gently flipping. Add more chicken stock or water as needed. Just enough to saute it. You can break up the dumpling or let it break up naturally. After about 3 minutes, I added a few drops of oil to the pan and let it continue to saute. I probably used about 1/2tsp of oil total. Just that little bit was enough to change the texture of the dumpling to something harder and more pan-friedish. Before it was more like a steamed noodle texture. Varying the thickness of the glucomannan made a difference in the chewiness and solidity of them.

Once the olive oil has helped them get a little color, you can add a tsp or two of the dipping sauce to the pan and let it cook in it.

Once done, remove to a plate and top with an unstuffed pot-sticker and the dipping sauce or just serve the pan fried dumpling by itself along with a quick Asian slaw and some of the dipping sauce.

My whole recipe was actually about 78cals for the pictured dumplings. It was very filling. I didn't believe it, but it was!

Anyway, will be doing a recipe on the Pan Fried Dumplings and Un-Stuffed Potsticker Meatballs next week.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Last edited by pooticus; 03-22-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #340
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you very much Pooticus. I haven't used this powder at all yet so I'm a noob and I wasn't sure what exactly everyone was doing.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YAY YAY Pooti!!! You always save the day!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!

I see I did not use enough Gluc powder and I'll try again tomorrow. I don't want to overdo the stuff, in case it backs up the works!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #342
the condiment queen

Yeah me too! I've used the noodles a lot and love them. I just tried the ones that have some of the konjac starch in them and really like them. Maybe better than the others but I like both kinds!

Now I'm in love with the pan-fried dumplings. I think adding the broth and even adding a little sherry wine will help increase their flavor since they are just a blank canvas for flavoring agents! It will be exciting to see what everyone does with them.

RFL sweetie. Gosh not me saving the day. All you brilliant ladies are miles ahead already.

As for the poopy report on this, I think it can have that effect on some but for me it's the opposite. It er, um, loosens the pipes.

Last edited by pooticus; 03-22-2011 at 02:26 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Quote:
OMG!!!!

I made the rolls and they are wonderful. Marcea, thank you, thank you! When I peeked in the oven and saw them rising I got all excited, but then I remembered most of the lowcarb frankenfood, (looks like brownies, smells like brownies, tastes like egg, yuck, throw them all away) But when I bit in I knew right away I have discovered gold! They look like a yeast roll, all light and airy with holes, and think of the possibilities! Brownies! Cakes! Tortillas! Hamburger rolls, hotdog rolls. I can hardly contain myself. I hope I can post the pictures
I am so Jazzed!!!! You even got pictures of them!!! I'm glad you like them - they have been a real treat for me too, I even made a toasted cheese sandwich out of a couple of the thinner ones. Turned out very cheesy but very good. The last few days I have been experimenting with brownies. This last batch turned out pretty darn good. I even had a few non Low carb people say they were impressed. Anyway, before I post the recipe I want to try them out one more time and make sure it works a second time. I am so glad you like the Glucomannan rolls Cheers!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Thanks so much for the Dumpling recipe Pooticus. That is something I'm definitely going to try.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I made some little "dumplings" last night, and put in egg drop soup. (I know not at all traditional, but what I wanted to try.) I also added some of the gluc to the broth to slightly thicken it (again not traditional). I can't really post a recipe for the "dumplings". I used a saucer, poured in some of my broth, sprinkled on some gluc pwd, let soak, adding more broth if needed. When pretty well set, I scooped up and put in my pan (used the same one I was going to cook the soup in). I had added just a little olive oil and a bit of the chicken fat, and "fried" in that. (I had saved the broth from where I had made my smothered chicken for dinner (noon) earlier. I fried the first one too long. Got it too browned, a little burnt. I did 2 more, then added the rest of my broth, a dab of chicken "bullion" (not cube) & a little more water, and the gluc pwd for thickening. (I'd added the pwd to a bowl & wisked it in some of the water or broth, then added that actually). Seasoned it, added some canned chicken chunks, and when it was hot, slowly poured in 2 beaten eggs. (I'm not good at that, but I like it anyway.) My DH & I each had a bowl. He didn't say how he like it (and I didn't ask), but he finished off the rest of it.
Not really sure tho if I will make & add the "dummplings" again tho or not. I do like adding a bit of the pwd to the broth tho. I tied a taste of the dumpling before adding them. They definitely need some seasoning in them. (Wouldn't care for the poultry seasoning or ginger in mine tho) The were kinda bland. But OK in the soup.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/159/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
Pictures?

Anyone have any more pictures of their recipes using Glucomannan?

I'm a visual cooker
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #347
the condiment queen

Billie that's pretty much what I did with mine the first time I made them too. I thought they were delicious. But I had all the flavor in the grease from having cooked ground beef with onions and spices for the crack slaw, then I cooked off and browned the skinless pot-sticker meatballs. I also added some of the dipping sauce to the pan as I cooked the dumplings. They turned out very dark, very firm, and crusty on the outside. The inside was dense and chewy dumpling texture. Not like jelly in my opinion but chewy.

The second time I did them, I made them like the recipe I posted above. They were much lower calorie and fat and didn't have the delicious fatty meat flavor from the night before cuz I used so little oil and the chicken broth. But they did taste like my dipping sauce which was very yummy. Just different. Not as bold and meaty!

They def need a lot of seasoning or a good flavored sauces to go with them!

Last edited by pooticus; 03-23-2011 at 07:00 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #348
Big Yapper!!!!

I actually found pickling lime at my store yesterday so I grabbed a bag in anticipation of playing with my glucc powder. Does anyone here actually use the pickling lime?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #349
the condiment queen

I haven't used any MsWoods.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
That's what happened to the one I made and I couldn't get past the texture...so I wasted it.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
when mixing in water to make a jar of gel what ratio powder to water do you use? i put 4 Tablespoons in a pint jar of cold water and it never hydrated. took it out, mixed spoonfuls with cold water and immersion blender, now have a quart jar that still has visible powder in the gel, ditto pint jar and 8oz in a shaker bottle.
one teaspoon to a pint jar of water?
also absolutely no odor after mixing with water and refrigerating
Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #352

what do you mean it never hydrated? when you mix it you have to sprinkle a little at a time while mixing with immersion or beaters (cake mixer?) i think a tsp thickens a cup of water like pudding. i was able to get 2 tsp mixed in. it doesnt set up like jello if thats what you mean. its just a paste that you can keep ready in the frig to add directly to thicken sauces or puddings because you cant add straight powder to hot liquids it will clump up.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #353

Here is a mini sammich I made with one of the cheese rolls (this is small, about the size of a dinner roll)

Toast cheese roll and carefully slice in half. Mayo both sides. Roll up 3 slices smoked turkey breast, small slice smoked gouda, tomato and avocado slices, and top with some arugula
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sammich.jpg (29.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #354
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maru2
Stats: 170/145/135
Start Date: 1/2007 restart 1/2010
Quote:
Here is a mini sammich I made with one of the cheese rolls (this is small, about the size of a dinner roll)

Toast cheese roll and carefully slice in half. Mayo both sides. Roll up 3 slices smoked turkey breast, small slice smoked gouda, tomato and avocado slices, and top with some arugula

Does this bread handle the sandwich juices well or does it turn to mush?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #355

Gallery: violetrose
WOE: The Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: 3/25/11
What a great thread. I have a big bag of glucomannan to use up. I'll have to go back through all the threads for these great tips. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #356
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-lc-pizza.html

Can someone look at this recipe and tell me if they think it would benefit from adding some gluc???? (for the crust)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #357

Holy cow!

I can't believe I've found this thread! I am a BIG fan of glucomannan. I'm going to go back and look over all the tips and recipes. I'VE STRUCK GOLD!!!

For those of you interested, I own two books on glucomannan. The one that got me interested in gluco was called Perfect Bo dy Diet by Cassandra Forsythe. Lots of good info about gluco in that book.

The second book is fantastic - it's called Hunger Free Forever by Michael T. Murray. It's about PGX fiber (which is a mixture of glucommanan and two other ingredients). Lots of great info, tips, research.

Also, for you gluco lovers, here's a link to an article from the Wall Street Journal called "Noodling Your Way to Weight Loss." Great article about shiratake, which is of course made from gluco. Here ya go...Can Konjac Noodles Help With Weight Loss? - WSJ.com
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #358
Big Yapper!!!!

I finally played with my glucc last night. I made some pan noodle thingies. I just sprinkled a tbsp of powder in a dry pan and shook it around to even it out, then poured chicken broth slowly on it, then sprinkled some garlic powder evenly over that. They ended up coming out really thick, which surprised me because the layer of glucc powder was so thin. I ended up cooking them for about 20 min and I kept using my spatula to press them down to try to get the oozy inside to spill out and cook as well.

I only ate a few bites with some lc ketchup and it tasted good and filled me up pretty quick. I'm looking forward to trying the pudding. I've got to get some almond milk, but I seen in another thread b-lou-who made some tapioca type pudding stuff with it and coconut milk. I happen to have a can of coconut milk at home

I think I'm going to try to make some actual noodles this weekend. I plan on using a large cookie sheet to make a huge layer of gel or whatever it makes, and cutting it into strips. We shall see.

I'm kind of at a loss as what to flavor anything with. The garlic powder was really good. I'm not really exotic with flavors.

I did think about trying to do some type of sweet "noodle" with maybe cocoa powder and then putting walden farms strawberry syrup over it. Chocolate pasta anyone?

Last edited by MsWoods; 03-25-2011 at 07:33 AM..
Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #359

...busy cutting and pasting all these fantastic recipes/tips into word. I can't believe how creative you folks are. I've been a fan of glucomannan for a long time, but have never seriously started to use it on a daily basis until now.

Great recipes/links to more recipes, which lead to yet more links...my head is spinning!

Thank you so much...keep 'em coming!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #360
the condiment queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
I finally played with my glucc last night. I made some pan noodle thingies. I just sprinkled a tbsp of powder in a dry pan and shook it around to even it out, then poured chicken broth slowly on it, then sprinkled some garlic powder evenly over that. They ended up coming out really thick, which surprised me because the layer of glucc powder was so thin. I ended up cooking them for about 20 min and I kept using my spatula to press them down to try to get the oozy inside to spill out and cook as well.

I only ate a few bites with some lc ketchup and it tasted good and filled me up pretty quick. I'm looking forward to trying the pudding. I've got to get some almond milk, but I seen in another thread b-lou-who made some tapioca type pudding stuff with it and coconut milk. I happen to have a can of coconut milk at home

I think I'm going to try to make some actual noodles this weekend. I plan on using a large cookie sheet to make a huge layer of gel or whatever it makes, and cutting it into strips. We shall see.

I'm kind of at a loss as what to flavor anything with. The garlic powder was really good. I'm not really exotic with flavors.

I did think about trying to do some type of sweet "noodle" with maybe cocoa powder and then putting walden farms strawberry syrup over it. Chocolate pasta anyone?
Wooohoo! Yeah, I cooked mine for a long time, turning and turning and turning! It only seemed like about 8 minutes but I bet it was longer. You can flavor with anything! Remember that guy used a bit of ranch!

I made a dipping sauce and poured a couple of spoons of that in it and it was sooo good:

Dipping Sauce
Sesame Oil
Sambal Oelek
Garlic Powder or fresh Garlic
Low Sod Soy Sauce
Chicken Broth
Rice Wine Vinegar
Ground Ginger or fresh Ginger
Scallion
2-3 drops Fiberfit.

Soooo goood! You could add some orange or lemon zest to it or add orange extract to make it like an orange sauce.

Yummy!